Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2018 10:34:03 AM EDT
On a flight the other day I watched “Darkest Hour,” the movie about Winston Churchill becoming PM. It was great and made me want to know more about the man. Any biography recommendations? Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:41:32 PM EDT
[#1]
A couple of years ago I read the Last Lion trilogy by William Manchester. It was excellent and exhaustive, but can be a bit of a time suck if you are not looking for three large volumes on the man.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:56:23 PM EDT
[#2]
There is an 8 part bio of Chuchill covering almost all of his life. Vols 1 and 2 were written by Randolph Chuchill, and the rest were written by Martin Gilbert. I got them from Amazon for Kindle. Am reading my way through them, a lot of material to digest. Likely the most comprehensive work on Churchill ever written.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 2:41:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A couple of years ago I read the Last Lion trilogy by William Manchester. It was excellent and exhaustive, but can be a bit of a time suck if you are not looking for three large volumes on the man.
View Quote
Last Lion is great, I believe Manchester died before finishing the 3rd volume so it was written by a ghost writer.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:57:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Only thing in my library about Churchill is “Churchill’s secret war”, about his exploits with India, and I haven’t read it yet.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 5:31:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I read this last year and enjoyed it.

Hero of the Empire

The Boer War, a Daring Escape, and the Making of Winston Churchill

by Candice Millard
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:18:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I read this last year and enjoyed it.

Hero of the Empire

The Boer War, a Daring Escape, and the Making of Winston Churchill

by Candice Millard
View Quote
Came to post this. An entertaining read.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 5:42:46 PM EDT
[#7]
The Last Lion. You can start with Volume 2, Alone. It’s about the time leading up to WW2.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 9:27:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Churchill by Roy Jenkins was a great read.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top