Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2019 7:19:41 PM EDT
So looking for my cab and specialty red drinkers. Give me your favorite >$100 bottles. Need some new ones to try.

Along the lines of...

Opus One
Far Niente Cave Collection
Nickel & Nickel
Dominus (haven’t tried yet)
Cade
Husic
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 8:02:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Over $100.00 a bottle for wine. Ahahaha-no. I'll go be poor somewhere else. Why are you stuck on NAPA Valley? They don't have a lock on great (red) wines. There are some in Sonoma, Russian River and elsewhere that compete nicely. If you can get hold of a bottle, I suggest that you obtain a bottle of Kunde Estate Reserve Cab Sav. and try it.

Wife and I just got back from a 3 day weekend in the Yadkin Valley region of NC. After tasting at a dozen selected estate wineries in the region, we have now found some French and Italian style dry reds and whites that rival California's production. We also found one vineyard producing very interesting Spanish and Portuguese style wines. Wines were in the $18 to $38.00 range with a few estate reserves topping out at about $55.00. But I don't want to thread crap so maybe I'll do my own post later.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 9:22:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Caymus
Nickel and Sullenger
Hall Kathryn
Shafer Hillside

need more?
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 10:41:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Over $100.00 a bottle for wine. Ahahaha-no. I'll go be poor somewhere else. Why are you stuck on NAPA Valley? They don't have a lock on great (red) wines. There are some in Sonoma, Russian River and elsewhere that compete nicely. If you can get hold of a bottle, I suggest that you obtain a bottle of Kunde Estate Reserve Cab Sav. and try it.

Wife and I just got back from a 3 day weekend in the Yadkin Valley region of NC. After tasting at a dozen selected estate wineries in the region, we have now found some French and Italian style dry reds and whites that rival California's production. We also found one vineyard producing very interesting Spanish and Portuguese style wines. Wines were in the $18 to $38.00 range with a few estate reserves topping out at about $55.00. But I don't want to thread crap so maybe I'll do my own post later.
View Quote
The best Cabernet comes from particular areas in Napa valley IMO.

I’ve never had a Sonoma that really popped for me.

I’ve been to Napa and several other wine country areas in the US. Napa is by far the best option in the US....other than that it’s coming from Europe

I’ve got plenty of $30 bottles of red blends that I like just fine. However, price very much so dictates quality with established wineries.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 10:44:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Caymus
Nickel and Sullenger
Hall Kathryn
Shafer Hillside

need more?
View Quote
Caymus is good. I usually find them for $70, depending on vintage.

Definitely want to try Hall! Forgot about that one thanks.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 2:19:03 PM EDT
[#5]
This is my favorite Napa Valley red.

Barettage

Syrah-dominant blend with a pinch of Grenache and Petite Sirah
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Must try:

Joseph Phelps Insignia (should be able to get a 2012 now)
Robert Young Scion
Stags' Leap The Leap and Audentia ($160 on sale now)
Stag's Leap FAY & Cask 23
Ridge Monte Bello
Paul Hobbs Beckstoffer Las Piedras Vineyard
Alpha Omega Proprietary Red and also some of their single vineyard stuff...I just bought futures of something based on a great barrel sample, but I can't recall what it was
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 6:30:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Stags Leap Fay

Poor pick - Freak show by Michael David ($20 but very good)
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 4:01:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Ridge Monte Bello
Beringer Private Reserve
Beringer Knights Valley Reserve (best deal)
Shafer Hillside Select
Latour!

If you're ever in central VA, it's worth a trip to Barboursville for their Octagon. Anything older than their current vintage is >$100.  Current vintage sells for around $50-60.

We just opened a 2005 magnum for my wife's birthday last week.  Enjoyed it with another couple.  I bought it back in 2010 for under $200.  Sells now for $500.

Have a few '06s, '07s, and roughly 2 cases of '12 (anniversary year).  Just opened one last night for our 7th anniversary.  Wife decanted it, but after an hour or so it went flat.  Should have left it in the bottle.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 10:31:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ridge Monte Bello
Beringer Private Reserve
Beringer Knights Valley Reserve (best deal)
Shafer Hillside Select
Latour!

If you're ever in central VA, it's worth a trip to Barboursville for their Octagon. Anything older than their current vintage is >$100.  Current vintage sells for around $50-60.

We just opened a 2005 magnum for my wife's birthday last week.  Enjoyed it with another couple.  I bought it back in 2010 for under $200.  Sells now for $500.

Have a few '06s, '07s, and roughly 2 cases of '12 (anniversary year).  Just opened one last night for our 7th anniversary.  Wife decanted it, but after an hour or so it went flat.  Should have left it in the bottle.
View Quote
Always wanted to try Shafer but didn't make it out there, are they good across the board?
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 9:41:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Always wanted to try Shafer but didn't make it out there, are they good across the board?
View Quote
Heck yes. I've thoroughly enjoyed their reds.  My best bud who is a professional sommelier and restaurateur was just out there at Shafer to taste their new stuff.  He told me to get a bottle of the TD-9 which is on it's second vintage.

Wegmans carries it and grabbed a bottle last night.  $50ish I recall.  Good stuff.   Cab, Merlot, Malbec blend.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 10:08:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Do you like Brunello?
Does it half to be cab?
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Do you like Brunello?
Does it half to be cab?
View Quote
I believe Brunello is made of all sangiovese, right?  I know there's some super expensive Brunellos out there, but we've found some good, under $20/bottle Sangiovese at Wegmans that we stock up on.

The majority of my cellar is Cab and Bordeaux-blends that I typically don't touch.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I believe Brunello is made of all sangiovese, right?  I know there's some super expensive Brunellos out there, but we've found some good, under $20/bottle Sangiovese at Wegmans that we stock up on.

The majority of my cellar is Cab and Bordeaux-blends that I typically don't touch.
View Quote
Brunello is brunello, but is basically a pedigreed variety of sangiovese. I think it makes a better drinking wine than Chianti or super Tuscan blends.

There are great cheap sangiovese wines out there that will go great with dinner,  but good brunello di montalcino is something special.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 1:00:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 7:19:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I just found a couple of bottles of 2013 Silver Oak (Napa not Alexander Valley) for just over your price point. VERY well worth it if you happen to come across any.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 11:37:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Caymus cab has the best mouthfeel of any wine I've ever drank.

They also have some excellent non-cabs but they're hard to come by.
View Quote
So they have a couple of off shoot brands (the short story is, there were X many grandkids and each got a label - something like that).  The Red Schooner is excellent, South American grapes shipped to CA for processing, the other labels are ok too.  Need to try Conundrum, and Mer Soleil was good enough but not my favorite.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 9:03:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Caymus is pretty great.

Austin Hope for slightly less money
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 9:08:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 11:59:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Y’all...I just had 1996 Dominus! From what I can tell, this bottle should be close to $1000 in a restaurant. This Italian restaurant we just ate at had an extensive wine list and showed to have 1996 Dominus for $350. It was their last bottle I was told.

Had it decanted and it was still full of debris. Unbelievably smooth and just a tad smokey how I like it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 9:53:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/13/2019 10:34:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

@emsjeep

There's also a Caymus branded red zin and a Caymus branded sauvignon blanc.   The blanc is by far the best I've ever had but I've never seen it outside of CA.  I still have 2 bottles of it from when I went out there years ago.

My parents had a couple bottles of the red zin at a restaurant in Ottawa.  I've never been able to find it in Canada or here in the US.

Conundrum is a bit sweet for my tastes but occasionally I'll order it.
View Quote
The various brands are:
Caymus Vineyards
Mer Soleil
Conundrum
Emmolo
Red Schooner
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 2:14:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Y’all...I just had 1996 Dominus! From what I can tell, this bottle should be close to $1000 in a restaurant. This Italian restaurant we just ate at had an extensive wine list and showed to have 1996 Dominus for $350. It was their last bottle I was told.

Had it decanted and it was still full of debris. Unbelievably smooth and just a tad smokey how I like it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/311137/9A35C141-B5C5-426A-8D24-C1524E9089BC_jpeg-1121195.JPG
View Quote
Retail on that '96 Dominus is around $200 or so.  (wine-searcher.com)

But yeah, with restaurant mark-up, I'm sure on a menu you're going to see it around $1k.

I'd say you did well for that restaurant price.  Glad you enjoyed!

Did you have a sommelier decant it or just a server?  They didn't do a good job if they allowed a lot of sediment to pass through while decanting.  That needs to stay in the bottle.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 1:55:13 PM EDT
[#23]
PSA:  Check out Oakville Bench Cabernet Sauvignon sold exclusively (I believe) at Trader Joes for under $20 a bottle.  It's excellent and compares to $50+ bottles that I've had.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 11:14:24 PM EDT
[#24]
The Cade Howell Mtn, is always a good choice, usually right at $90ish. IF you want something really smooth, I suggest something from B Cellars or Macaulay, and if you really want to get crazy, go for their ToKalon Vineyard wines. More expensive, but you will appreciate it with a steak or special occasion. And Macaulay Zinfandel is prob the best you will find. It’s a Zinfandel that doesn’t taste like a Zinfandel. The wife buys it by the case...
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 12:00:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By RatPatrol62:
The Cade Howell Mtn, is always a good choice, usually right at $90ish. IF you want something really smooth, I suggest something from B Cellars or Macaulay, and if you really want to get crazy, go for their ToKalon Vineyard wines. More expensive, but you will appreciate it with a steak or special occasion. And Macaulay Zinfandel is prob the best you will find. It’s a Zinfandel that doesn’t taste like a Zinfandel. The wife buys it by the case...
View Quote

Cade Howell Mtn is one of my favorites. The regular Cade is usually $90 for me and the Howell Mtn is $115 - $120
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top