Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2018 12:58:35 PM EDT
I purchased some California Cabernet grape juice (mildly concentrated) from Northern Brewer and got it last night.  I started 2 batches of stuff.
This here:
https://www.northernbrewer.com/master-vintner-winemakers-reserve-cabernet-sauvignon
Impressed with all the stuff it comes with.

Batch 1: Cabernet Sauvignon (wine), 5.2 liters juice, Lalvin EC-1118 yeast. OG 1.094  (expected) FG: 0.998; 3 gallons

Batch 2: Cabernet Sauvignon Pyment (mead).  4.8 liters of juice, 7 lbs honey, balance water.  Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale (2L starter).  OG: 1.121  (expected) FG: 1.010

Both started at the same time, I expect the wine will drop a little faster but also take longer to taste good.

Reading the instructions for the wine, it feels like you are forcing the wine into what you want it to be. With aggressive timelines and all the chemical treatments. Like- why not wait for the wine to stop fermenting instead of forcing all the yeast to die? Why not let it drop clear instead of using a bunch of fining agents. Regardless, excited to see how these turn out and to compare them to each other.

I think the wine will end up dry and really robust tasting, oaky, with an noticeable alcohol burn.
I think the mead will end up mildly sweet, fruitier, and with a silky smooth feel.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 3:04:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Okay, updating with some gravities after 4.5 days of fermenting.

Wine: OG 1.094 Current: 1.044   Target: 0.998
Mead: OG 1.120 Current 1.061    Target: 1.005 or lower

I think the fermentation temps are a bit low in both cases. The Wine is at ~68 degrees and the mead maybe 65 degrees (basement)

Tasted both, the wine is actually tasting pretty good and now finally is starting to taste like wine instead of grape-flavored sugar juice.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 3:12:00 PM EDT
[#2]
On Friday the gravities were:
Wine: 1.004  (11.8% ABV)
Pyment: 1.022 (12.86% ABV)

Both are tasting pretty good, but the Wine is obviously pretty dry and definitely needs some time to mature.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 11:49:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Okay, it's done. No more fermenting for either.

Wine:  Went from 1.094 to 0.995. I bottled it two days ago.   It was relatively easy, but labor intensive. It cleared really well. I was impressed with how smooth it was after just 6 weeks, and for being 13.0% ABV it's not really "Hot". I was worried it would be too oaky because of the oak chips but no, it's fairly well restrained in oakiness. Color is good but depth of color isn't spectacular. I detect a faint "mushroomy" character to the cabernet, not real jammy or fruity though.

Mead/pyment: 1.120 > 1.018 13.4% Completely different animal.  I aged the pyment after primary fermentation on 6lbs (~1.33 lbs/gal) of frozen blackberries, and used a strainer bag to extract a lot from them. The blackberry doesn't really "stand out" a ton from the pyment, it blended in really well. It does have a thicker/fuller mouthfeel and obviously tastes a lot sweeter. It is also much more "fruity" than the wine. A little bit deeper / more purple in color.  Didn't clear out 100% like the wine did, but still not at all bad.

Preference: I definitely like the pyment more, but they are more different than similar in taste. Despite being made from the same juice, the different process, yeast, and additives contribute to this.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 6:34:49 PM EDT
[#4]
How long did you leave it on the blackberries?  I have a 5 gallon batch of BOMM nearing the end of fermentation, and I'm thinking of splitting it up into 1 gallon batches with different additives.  Frozen berries was one idea.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:53:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't how I missed this  thread. Very interesting.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 6:30:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How long did you leave it on the blackberries?  I have a 5 gallon batch of BOMM nearing the end of fermentation, and I'm thinking of splitting it up into 1 gallon batches with different additives.  Frozen berries was one idea.
View Quote
Sorry just saw this. I typically leave fruit in post-fermentation for 6-10 days. Any more is kind of overkill.

Some people fully thaw out the fruit first, I don't. For a little while, it cools down and stops fermenting. Sometimes you get suckback in your airlock. Then it warms up to room temp and the yeast takes off again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top