BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:21:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I minimise hazards as much as possible.

And its not just tint - some cars / suvs have terrible visibility to side and rear because of being designed for "looks" rather than maximum visibility.

Yes - I wear sunglasses when needed. BUT I can remove them at night or when not needed.

I managed 20 years of Police driving ( uniformed frontline ) with ZERO accidents. And have 37yrs of driving with only one accident that was my fault.
View Quote

Suddenly it all makes sense… I bet you loved checking the transparency
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:22:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I have 20% on the sides windows and 50% on the front. It’s awesome during the day like wearing sunglasses. It doesn’t have a negative effect to me at night.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:25:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Suppose he has a medical exemption? Then it is legal.

Plus, with 229 million drivers in the US, I bet there have been many accidents, some with injury or death, that have occurred with vehicles with illegal tint on the front windshield. If it is such a gregarious violation, we should have several well known cases, right?

If one Googles "crash where illegal window tint was the cause" I get ONE result. And it is a civil, not a criminal case. Statistically, there have to be more, but apparently, not newsworthy "news will love you"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Should I point out the fact that tinting your windshield below the AS1 line is illegal? What do you think your insurance company is going to say when you hit something or someone? Heaven forbid that you seriously injure or kill someone. You would make some DAs career and the news will love you.

Suppose he has a medical exemption? Then it is legal.

Plus, with 229 million drivers in the US, I bet there have been many accidents, some with injury or death, that have occurred with vehicles with illegal tint on the front windshield. If it is such a gregarious violation, we should have several well known cases, right?

If one Googles "crash where illegal window tint was the cause" I get ONE result. And it is a civil, not a criminal case. Statistically, there have to be more, but apparently, not newsworthy "news will love you"

I see OP updated his post saying he has a medical exemption.

I think it is a very bad idea to violate the law by tinting your windshield. Just because you didn’t find a case where someone had tge book thrown at them does not mean that it never happened or could not happen. Life is hard, it is even harder when you do stupid things.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:42:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I see OP updated his post saying he has a medical exemption.

I think it is a very bad idea to violate the law by tinting your windshield. Just because you didn't find a case where someone had tge book thrown at them does not mean that it never happened or could not happen. Life is hard, it is even harder when you do stupid things.
View Quote
I agree that, with 229 million drivers in the US, somewhere there have been crashes (not all with injury or death) where illegal tint may been a contributing (not sole)  factor, but not enough or severe enough to be newsworthy. This in a world where someone not wearing a mask on an airplane is newsworthy.

Most of us probably violate the law on a daily basis, if nothing more than exceeding the posted speed limit by a few mph. Scofflaw's we are!

If it is safe for someone to have windshield tint with a medical exemption, then why is it unsafe to have window tint without a medical exemption? (And I said unsafe, not illegal).
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:13:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Once again, all anecdotal (hearsay). Got some real statistics to back up those claims?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From experience.......

Very few drivers post collision say "I saw him and crashed into him anyway"

A lot say ( especially after hitting a motorcyclist ) "I never even saw him"

Or  " I only saw him when it was too late"

Distracted driving is linked to visibility - you are distracted from looking / seeing.

As is speed. Speed in itself is NOT a huge cause of accidents. Speed can be safe if visibility is good.

But if your speed is exceeding the distance you can observe hazards - its not safe.

Once again, all anecdotal (hearsay). Got some real statistics to back up those claims?

Of course it is. Its a friendly debate not a courtroom.

I am merely expressing my opinion and the reasons I believe in my opinion.

To me, common sense dictates that reducing visibility is not conducive to safety.

And if people are so keen to reduce light transmission by a few percent - why not blank off the whole rear window ? Or even blank off the two rear side windows ?

That way you could reduce light transmission by 50%
without affecting visibility where it is most important.

There is a reason that car manufacturers try so hard to minimise obstruction by A and B pillars etc - because more visibility is better !
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:18:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And its not just tint - some cars / suvs have terrible visibility to side and rear because of being designed for "looks" rather than maximum visibility.

Yes - I wear sunglasses when needed. BUT I can remove them at night or when not needed.

I managed 20 years of Police driving ( uniformed frontline ) with ZERO accidents. And have 37yrs of driving with only one accident that was my fault.

Actually I did - in two types of scenario......

At the scene of a collision.

At night when dealing with idiots whose tint was so dark they had to drive with windows open.

And dont even start me off on the imbeciles who felt it a great idea to tint tail lights to better suit their paintwork.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:19:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

When I bought my last vehicle I didnt notice any tint on the windshield. The state trooper did though. When I went to pay the ticket I had to provide the court before and after pictures to prove that it had been removed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I put 70% ceramic on my whole windshield which is the darkest you can legally use is Texas. I can't tell a difference from when I just had the other windows done with regular 30% tint.

Maybe it's doing something but not noticable. My understanding is you get the most benefits from using ceramic on all windows.

No tint is allowed  below the AS1 line on the windshield in Texas.

According to the professional shop that installed it and warrantied it, it is completely legal. I never looked it up but I'm rolling with what they told me. It's basically clear and can't even tell there's anything on it.

When I bought my last vehicle I didnt notice any tint on the windshield. The state trooper did though. When I went to pay the ticket I had to provide the court before and after pictures to prove that it had been removed.

Clear UV film is allowed under TX law because it's not considered a "sunscreening device"
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

To me, common sense dictates that reducing visibility is not conducive to safety.

And if people are so keen to reduce light transmission by a few percent - why not blank off the whole rear window ? Or even blank off the two rear side windows ?

There is a reason that car manufacturers try so hard to minimise obstruction by A and B pillars etc - because more visibility is better !
View Quote
The tone of this post is different than your previous posts, where you stated "facts" and absolutes rather than opinions.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:25:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I am not using my experience as proof.

The fact remains that visibility or lack of is a big factor in accidents.

Deliberately reducing visibility is counter to safety.
View Quote

you must be a blast at parties. oh wait, you've never been invited to one, have you.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:26:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Window tint should be illegal on all windows.  

It's not safe for Law Enforcement when approaching a civilian during a traffic stop.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:29:23 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote
To each his own. I have 30% on my doors and rear window., and I would not want to be driving at night with it on my windshield.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:31:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The tone of this post is different than your previous posts, where you stated "facts" and absolutes rather than opinions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I was, I would have used the word "fact" or "absolute" .

I thought it was plainly obvious that this forum is just guys shooting the breeze and expressing opinions.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:32:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

you must be a blast at parties. oh wait, you've never been invited to one, have you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not using my experience as proof.

You seem like a really nice guy.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:48:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Having a tinted car is money during daylight.   During night, not for me.   I have to roll the windows down to see.  Couldn’t  imagine the windshield
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:56:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's not safe for Law Enforcement when approaching a civilian during a traffic stop.
View Quote

Sarcasm or autistic?
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:58:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Sarcasm or autistic?
View Quote

both
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:58:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:01:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

It also negatively affects women and blacks more.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:04:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Maximum visibility is optimum for safety.

I fzeta, i see we agree on the lamps. ully understand that perfection is not possible but REDUCING visibility cannot be good.

View Quote

I bet you are opposed to painting all the lamps on your car black as well. You probably favor lamps putting out light to looking cool dont ya?
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:09:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I used the 70 on my windshield and whatever my tint guy recommended on the rest of the car. The heat portion was my major concern and it does make a big difference.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:11:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

LOL, I love people like this.

He said, he "can't even notice it." Didn't say there was not a difference in light transmission, or that he couldn't tell the difference, but that he doesn't notice it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I run 50% on the windshield. At night I can't even notice it, during the day it helps a little bit but not life changing.

Their windshield only lets in one half of all visible light, most likely less considering "clear" auto glass is usually tinted 75-85% so it could actually be more like 40% of all visible light and "I cAn'T tElL tHe DiFfErEnCe"

He said, he "can't even notice it." Didn't say there was not a difference in light transmission, or that he couldn't tell the difference, but that he doesn't notice it.

Despite his lack of perception, it is significantly reducing his ability to see adequately at night, whether he notices it or not.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:13:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Despite his lack of perception, it is significantly reducing his ability to see adequately at night, whether he notices it or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I run 50% on the windshield. At night I can't even notice it, during the day it helps a little bit but not life changing.

Their windshield only lets in one half of all visible light, most likely less considering "clear" auto glass is usually tinted 75-85% so it could actually be more like 40% of all visible light and "I cAn'T tElL tHe DiFfErEnCe"

It's like the morons who claim they can see better with blue headlights.  Just axe them...
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:22:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Tint fudds, who would a thunk it....
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:41:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol, this is the dumbest shit I have read in a while. Gotta be troll bait
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:10:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I thought it was plainly obvious that this forum is just guys shooting the breeze and expressing opinions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My last post, because apparently you don't understand "tone."

Plus:

And its not just tint - some cars / suvs have terrible visibility to side and rear because of being designed for "looks" rather than maximum visibility

Sound like "facts" rather than opinions to me. While I do agree with the third, that is my opinion.

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:16:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Ceramic tint blocks heat and UV. Cheap standard tint will not. Heat and UV are the primary reason I did tint. My car is much cooler in the summer because of it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:24:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

if you're afraid to walk up to the window of a car you are hassling, maybe you're in the wrong line of work?
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:34:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

both
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:05:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So, you have an accident while driving because you failed to see a hazard of some sort.

Your tinted windows are reducing light transmission by 10% - I do not know about you but I would certainly wonder whether I might have seen tge hazard if I had 100% light transmission.

If its just to look cool - grow up.
If its a heat thing - try aircon.
View Quote

So sunglasses are a no go for you?

I have myjeep windshield tinted, 3m crystalline in the least amount of tint, there is no degradation of what you see during day or night, and at night it helps reduce headlight glare so imo it’s actually better than not being tinted. Then the reduced heat  from the sun is just another awesome bonus.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:24:40 PM EDT
[#30]
I'd cover my windshield with foil and drive with a go pro of it were legal here.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:37:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

You probably wear earmuffs and a mask when you mow the yard, nerd.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:38:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Keeps the popo from peeping in on you when you're smoking blunts.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:56:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have a black on black car with 25% F1 Pinnacle Ceramic Tint on the sides and rear windows. I'm thinking on getting the same F1 tint on my windshield but in 50%.... Good or bad idea

P.s I have a medical prescription that makes windshield tint legal here in my state

Thanks
 Bri
View Quote

They're going to love you down in Iowa.
It seemed like every time I had to go in that state, they were busting my chops for my F450 side window tint.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 3:18:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Holy purse swinging Batman .

Windshield tint is great in the day and terrible at night.

Your laminate glass windshield already blocks UV. For everything else there's sunglasses.

If you want to see how much distortion your windshields induces just take your regular bino's and have a look.

If you want to see how much light your windshield blocks take your goggles and have a look. There's a reason people recommend the very best filmless dual-tube units for driving.

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 3:21:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I put 70% ceramic on my whole windshield which is the darkest you can legally use is Texas. I can't tell a difference from when I just had the other windows done with regular 30% tint.

Maybe it's doing something but not noticable. My understanding is you get the most benefits from using ceramic on all windows.
View Quote

Actually,  you cannot have any tint on the windshield in Texas below the AS-1 line. Not sure where you heard otherwise. The front side windows can only be at 25%. The backs can be any amount you want.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 3:34:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Attachment Attached File

My old Escalade has a tinted windshield. 30% and was super easy to see through even at night. Quality of the tint matters a lot. Was 1k to tint that car with madico wincos tint
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 3:37:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm in 100% agreement with your second statement, for a vehicle that has a completely tinted front windshield and front side windows --- But I kinda disagree with your first statement...because I value my privacy when I'm camping out in my Toyota 4Runner.

I'm not an LEO...but LEO's have reported that a fully tinted front windshield, and tinted front side windows, is one of the most dangerous facets of law enforcement; when approaching a vehicle that has just been pulled over.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#38]
I had 35% on the windshield of my last truck. Made a huge difference in keeping the truck cool but was a little dark at times since I live in a somewhat rural area. I’m going to try 45% on my new truck and see how it works out. The new truck has much better headlights which should help out too.

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 3:48:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/159941/B516945D-B825-4E42-88E5-24DBB7B81A6F_jpe-2383668.JPG

My old Escalade has a tinted windshield. 30% and was super easy to see through even at night. Quality of the tint matters a lot. Was 1k to tint that car with madico wincos tint
View Quote

Alright ill bite. Fuck the escalade and I generally dislike domestic vehicles especially GM's, but how about that Camaro?
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 4:11:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I had 35% on the windshield of my last truck. Made a huge difference in keeping the truck cool but was a little dark at times since I live in a somewhat rural area. I’m going to try 45% on my new truck and see how it works out. The new truck has much better headlights which should help out too.

https://i.imgur.com/X26D3S6.jpg
View Quote

Go with a high quality film. Huper Optik ceramic even in darker shades are visually clear from the inside.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 4:12:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Alright ill bite. Fuck the escalade and I generally dislike domestic vehicles especially GM's, but how about that Camaro?
View Quote

68 camaro, currently sitting with a rough running motor, and about to be sent off to Houston in 2 weeks to get a 6.0 and new K member up front for new suspension.  Might be for sale soon too.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 4:14:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

68 camaro, currently sitting with a rough running motor, and about to be sent off to Houston in 2 weeks to get a 6.0 and new K member up front for new suspension.  Might be for sale soon too.
View Quote

looks good from the pic
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 4:20:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Welcome to North Carolina.

"The tint on a windshield cannot extend more than 5 inches below the top of the windshield or below the AS1 line of the windshield, whichever is longer."
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 4:25:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You sound like a really nice guy too. ??
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 2:55:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Saw this today and could not help thinking about restricted visibility.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 3:06:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Go with a high quality film. Huper Optik ceramic even in darker shades are visually clear from the inside.
View Quote

Going with Xpel Prime XR Plus.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 3:06:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Saw this today and could not help thinking about restricted visibility.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/168273/20220517_123211_jpg-2387251.JPG
View Quote

What are we looking at?
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 3:17:45 PM EDT
[#48]
I like a nice strip across the top of the windshield to be tinted but other than that I put a priority on visibility at night.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 3:24:40 PM EDT
[#49]
I put 80% ceramic on my front windshield, can’t tell it’s tinted from outside and inside looking out has a slight haze that’s “normal”.

Highly recommend if you are putting ceramic on all other doors for heat reduction
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 6:10:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Going with Xpel Prime XR Plus.
View Quote

That's a high quality tint. You should be AOK
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top