Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2021 9:10:31 PM EDT
i7-2600, 32GB RAM, SSD, GTX 1050ti

Had been running Windows 7, perfectly, for year and years. Upgraded to Windows 10 two nights ago, I knew I would regret it.

There is an overall system lag. Tying this message, my fingers a dozen characters ahead of the cursor.  The mouse cursor hangs up as I move across the desktop, it skips, lagging.  And the Windows logon sound skips, like a scratched CD, and takes three or four times its usual length to actually finish playing the sound.

Scrolling through pages with the mouse wheel.... Same, lots of lag.

As I write this, freshly rebooted, there is 5GB RAM in use, 3-4% CPU use, 0% SSD use, 0% GPU use..... The system itself is not bogged down, but the interactive GUI is super laggy.

I moved my two monitors from onboard VGA to the GPU and back, no change.  I may pull the GPU altogether and see if that fixes it, perhaps the nvidia drivers are an issue?

Not sure where else to look.... I've never had this happen before.

Comments welcome.

Link Posted: 6/15/2021 9:15:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you have the latest drivers for all your hardware? If you didn't manually install the windows 10 drivers from the manufacturers website for your motherboard and gpu you're likely using the generic drivers, which will cause problems with performance like you're describing.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 9:47:21 PM EDT
[#2]
A 2600 is 10 years old. With 10yr old RAM, and ancient disks. What were you expecting?
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 9:56:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Disable Windows Defender. You may have a copy where WD is an issue.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 10:06:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you have the latest drivers for all your hardware? If you didn't manually install the windows 10 drivers from the manufacturers website for your motherboard and gpu you're likely using the generic drivers, which will cause problems with performance like you're describing.
View Quote

Just did all MB drivers and nvidia.  No effect, same issues. In fact, when Windows is doing something (accessing the SSD) it slows to the point of unusable.  Mouse takes 15-20 seconds to move across the screen if the system is busy.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 10:07:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Disable Windows Defender. You may have a copy where WD is an issue.
View Quote

Firewall was disabled in Win7 and it looks like 10 inherited the same settings; it is not running.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 10:21:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A 2600 is 10 years old. With 10yr old RAM, and ancient disks. What were you expecting?
View Quote

And people wonder why no one but Indians in call centers want to deal with the public when it comes to IT help anymore.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 10:35:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Pulled out the nvidia card, no effect.

I may be looking at having to do a fresh install.  

Link Posted: 6/15/2021 10:38:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Seriously?

I'm running 10 on systems here with hardware equivalent to last year's wrist watch and they're doing just fine. My 2600 ran like a raped ape with Win7.  With a 1050ti I could play anything I had in 1080p.  I ran 200+ tabs and 32GB of 32GB RAM in use 24/7/365 for over five years without so much as a hiccup.  I finally gave in to Win10 to run some specific software and am regretting that in a very big way.

Its not my hardware.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 10:39:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Windows 7 and 10 have pretty much the same system requirements. If it can run 7 ok there's no reason it can't run 10 just as well.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 10:40:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Pulled out the nvidia card, no effect.

I may be looking at having to do a fresh install.  

View Quote

It's not unheard of to have odd issues with upgrade installs. I bet a clean install solves your issue.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 10:43:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's not unheard of to have odd issues with upgrade installs. I bet a clean install solves your issue.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/15/2021 10:50:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 11:20:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Got more than 4gb of ram?
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 11:06:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

If his system is that slow, he's got kernel locking somewhere, probably from a faulty driver.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 4:02:07 PM EDT
[#15]

1.  Make sure your motherboard bios is up to date. Then.....

2.  Wipe your C: drive and do a CLEAN install.  Upgrade installs with Windows is like changing your car oil without draining the old oil out first.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 4:09:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Nuke, pave and reinstall Win 7.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 4:16:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Might be that Windowz is busy downloading a bunch of updates in the background. I have a laptop that had been off for a while, it took three separate restarts to install the updates. Seems to be working fine now.

Link Posted: 6/16/2021 5:11:39 PM EDT
[#18]
A clean install might do the trick. Certainly the hardware sounds like it's up to snuff.

Oh, how's the mouse connected? Wireless? Did you get that updated? Logitech's SetPoint loves to work - right until it doesn't.  Can you plug in a wired mouse to see if that changes anything?

Keep us updated. I'm no fan of Win10, but Nate Burns will be along shortly to tell us all how it's the perfect OS and we all (who've had trouble with it) are doing it all wrong anyhow.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 9:02:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If his system is that slow, he's got kernel locking somewhere, probably from a faulty driver.
View Quote

How do I go about troubleshooting which driver(s)?
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 9:57:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

How do I go about troubleshooting which driver(s)?
View Quote

Just...format and start over. You'll lose everything you don't backup. But it's worth it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 10:16:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Just...format and start over. You'll lose everything you don't backup. But it's worth it.
View Quote

You know, its funny.

In the Win95/Win98 days, doing an upgrade was literally taking your life into your own hands.  I don't quite remember if NT could upgrade to 2k or not, but if so it was also probably a complete and total cluster.

A few years ago I upgraded two different systems from Win7 to Win10, both were daily drivers.  As daily drivers, both accumulated the usual shitty software, shareware, bloated registries from a dozen not-quite-uninstalled programs, and all the other quirks and crap and errors and annoyances that come with daily use for years.  Both those systems upgraded flawlessly with ZERO issues of any kind, never even had to think about drivers.  Both actually ran BETTER with 10, which I couldn't believe, because I have long felt that 7 was the best Windows to date.

This last system was the ONE system I kept as sanitized as possible, very little extra software, nothing ever "uninstalled" to screw up the registry.... Meticulously built, all legit hardware, no sketchy 4.5 star amazon brand names, ultra reliable, has never crashed or had an error of any kind EVER.  This was as close to bone-stock as I can get.  And ITS the system that has issues with an upgrade.

JFC I hate Windows.

Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:11:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Nuke, pave and reinstall Win 7.
View Quote

This.

I can't tell you how many PCs I've seen with weird issues and slowness issues, that were upgraded to Win10.

Both my personal desktop and my work laptop were loaded clean with 10 and do not exhibit these issues. I've run it on an old LT with a crappy AMD 1GHz dual-core processor and, while it WAS slow as hell, it didn't stutter while typing.

My hardware isn't as old, but I also expect that rig should run Win 10 just fine.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:23:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Clean Install when at all possible.

Windows 10 should run SSDs better and has support for TRIM which 7 does not.

Update BIOS, Backup all important stuff to several backups and reinstall clean.

Install the newest Video Drivers and run update several times to get the latest of everything.

I would NOT install drivers from CD or any sources you have that will be dated.

If anything says it is broke in device manager I would look for a better driver for just that thing.

There are still bloatware and things I would disable but I will leave that up to you.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 8:23:14 PM EDT
[#24]
I just rolled back to Win7 and life is good again.  Didn't even know that was an option, google learned me.  Didn't expect it to work AT ALL but so far so good.

Fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 9:15:29 AM EDT
[#25]
7 to 10 upgrades are slow and junk. Fresh install win 10 for a useable experience. ssd makes a world of difference
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 4:11:43 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm running Win 10 on two home systems w/i5's, and both are running well.

That said, I still think Windows 7 was Microsoft's pinnacle achievement in OS's. It is the first and only OS I was able to run for YEARS with absolutely no issues. Nary a BSOD was had, and I loved it, but the pressure to move on is strong.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 11:16:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

2600 is completely fine.  CPUs barely changed for 8 of those 10 years.

Windows 10 was advertised to be a super-lightweight OS that was supposed to run even better than 7.  But the fact is, it's a bloated piece of shit these days with all the "features" that keep being added with all the forced updates.

OP, first thing I would try is a fresh install followed by loading all the latest drivers for your hardware.  If you're still having trouble and are okay fucking around with windows and potentially breaking stuff, you can try windows 10 debloater which is a script that uninstalls a whole lot of non-critical stuff, like cortana and Edge.  If you use any default MS programs at all, you'll need to carefully configure before running.  If you care nothing about any of the features built into windows, all the way down to stuff like solitare or any tiles in your start menu updating, you can probably use it without much worry.  I also personally used O&O ShutUp10, but that's more focused on privacy and network traffic than performance.  Another thing you'll want to carefully go through the options for to make sure you're not about to break something you actually use, but this one can easily turn them back on if you need.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 11:20:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I just rolled back to Win7 and life is good again.  Didn't even know that was an option, google learned me.  Didn't expect it to work AT ALL but so far so good.

Fingers crossed.
View Quote

First reply was before I read this.  If I could go back to windows 7 I would.  If you don't need 10 and are computer literate enough to not get yourself infected with malware, I'd just stay on 7.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 11:51:40 AM EDT
[#29]
I refuse to upgrade my old laptop, still Win 7.  It is a chinesium Lenovo with SSD.  

I have been ready to replace the laptop for a long time, but as long as I don't fuck with it, it will probably keep on working.  Win 7 is supposed to have no support, but I get update notices all the time.  I figure Microsucks will update it into a brick with one of the updates, as has been my experience in the past.  

I am on my third Win10 Acer now, Lenovo will just not quit.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 11:56:40 AM EDT
[#30]
I just replaced an 8 year-old computer that was having the same kind of problems.
I believe the USB controller was malfunctioning.
The problem started when I upgraded to Win 10.  Pretty sure the problem was the ancient controller not playing well with the Win 10 driver.

Another interesting observation:  Network utilization spiked every time the mouse stuttered.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 1:51:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

2600 is completely fine.  CPUs barely changed for 8 of those 10 years.

Windows 10 was advertised to be a super-lightweight OS that was supposed to run even better than 7.  But the fact is, it's a bloated piece of shit these days with all the "features" that keep being added with all the forced updates.

OP, first thing I would try is a fresh install followed by loading all the latest drivers for your hardware.  If you're still having trouble and are okay fucking around with windows and potentially breaking stuff, you can try windows 10 debloater which is a script that uninstalls a whole lot of non-critical stuff, like cortana and Edge.  If you use any default MS programs at all, you'll need to carefully configure before running.  If you care nothing about any of the features built into windows, all the way down to stuff like solitare or any tiles in your start menu updating, you can probably use it without much worry.  I also personally used O&O ShutUp10, but that's more focused on privacy and network traffic than performance.  Another thing you'll want to carefully go through the options for to make sure you're not about to break something you actually use, but this one can easily turn them back on if you need.
View Quote

Thanks.  I will check both of those out, actually, as I do have a couple of 10 systems here.  

I ran my 2600 at 3.4Ghz for almost a decade and hit 4.7Ghz yesterday, stable, with no effort whatsoever on my part.  I'm not upgrading anytime soon.

Same goes for Windows 7; this is my daily driver and I generally have somewhere approaching 250 tabs open between Brave and Firefox all the time, along with all my other software and stuff I never close, and the system requires a reboot exactly NEVER.  Not even sure when I ran the last Windows Update, although its been years.  I block most of the Microsoft servers at the firewall level.

Link Posted: 8/11/2021 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#32]
I've been building my own computers and running Windows since 1995 (when it came on twelve 3.5" floppies). I'm not an IT guy or a tech, just a home computing enthusiast. My experience is that Win10 is the fastest, most stable, most reliable version yet. I did the 20H2 update without a hitch a few months back. Current machine is a Ryzen 5 3600/Radeon RX 5700 with 16GB ram. Nothing extreme, but it fit my budget and suits my needs.

I suggest reading through this guide:
https://www.tweakhound.com/2020/12/30/tweaking-windows-10-version-20h2/
I've been using his tips and tricks for years and feel confident passing it along.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 12:23:06 AM EDT
[#33]
I have 0 issues with W10 but I will be installing Zorin OS (Linux) soon.

Protect your privacy at all costs!
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 10:22:03 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm running on a 2600, 16gigs, SSD, and a 1060 6gb

No issues like what you're seeing.  I also don't plan to upgrade hardware at the moment...this is performing what I need it to do at the moment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top