Page / 11
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:59:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Everyone that makes note about a cartridge that doesn't need trimming

Is it really that hard?
View Quote
Not only that, but in my experience with .30 Carbine, (similar straight cartridge) it is necessary to trim.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 12:04:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Meh, I'm not understanding the point of this?

Why are y'all interested in it? I'm more utilitarian though, and it seems other cartridges would do a better job at killing, so?
View Quote
In a market saturated with 5.56 everything this is the newest "what's new."

As a retailer that adds at least one new SKU to his store inventory every single day I can tell you that people come in all the time and want to know what is new, even though they may be 30 new items on the shelf since they last visited.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 12:06:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Sounds interesting, however, the appeal with 300 BLK is using suppressors.  Not a lot of suppressors for handling .35 Cal.  Hybrid or whatever it is from Griffin...
View Quote
Yeah, it helps sell new suppressor, too.

Once you have a .46 cal suppressor you can suppress lots of other big bores, so it kinda makes sense.

Then sell em a so he shot 50BMG from Serbu for $1100.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 12:10:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Sweet
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 1:02:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I see a new upper build in my future.
Since all you will need is the barrel...........
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 1:10:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:  No. You’ll get 25-26 350L in a 30 round 5.56.
View Quote

I don't think you'll even get that many.

ETA:  MDWS says the similar wildcat is getting that many in a modified PMag:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/357-AR-max/121-735639/#i7816498
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 1:12:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Once you have a .46 cal suppressor you can suppress lots of other big bores, so it kinda makes sense.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds interesting, however, the appeal with 300 BLK is using suppressors.  Not a lot of suppressors for handling .35 Cal.  Hybrid or whatever it is from Griffin...

I'm not sure but this should be compatible with 9mm cans too right?

Smart makers might even give barrels threads common to 9mm....
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 1:16:47 AM EDT
[#8]
This looks like a decent cartridge.  I'm astounded just how many new cartridges have been appearing for the AR platform.  Personally I'm going with the 6.5G
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 1:18:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Smart makers might even give barrels threads common to 9mm....
View Quote
Not sure about pressures with that much case capacity. 9mm is relatively low pressure compared to 5.56 case capacity.

Might handle 35 Legend subs but indolent recommend my customers shoot through a safe-for-subs-suppressor. Too much room for error.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 3:17:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not sure about pressures with that much case capacity. 9mm is relatively low pressure compared to 5.56 case capacity.

Might handle 35 Legend subs but indolent recommend my customers shoot through a safe-for-subs-suppressor. Too much room for error.
View Quote
Liberty Mystic and Cosmic will handle it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 4:32:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Good on Winchester, sounds promising

hopefully this catches on better than most .35s do here in the states.....they don't die but are usually relegated to Cult cartridges
View Quote
 The same Winchester that brought out all the WSM and WSSM cartridges?  how many of those are still around?
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 9:15:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
I initially emailed Rugged about shooting 357 mag out of a rifle though my obsidian 45, they said it was good for it. I'll email them and ask about 357 max and 350 legend compatibility
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 9:50:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The idea that a major manufacturer would develop a .223 based cartridge in 2019 and NOT have an AR variant is dumbfounding.

Is that really what happened here?
View Quote
Could be! Perhaps taking lessons from Remington
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 9:59:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I thought we might get more info than we did prior to SHOT but so far very little.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 10:09:32 AM EDT
[#15]
I cant find it via an archive search but someone already did this 7-10 years ago. It was a wildcat develope to shoot the largest .35 bullets subsonic because they would perform a WHOLE lot better than the hvy jacketed 200gr 30cals would.

I remember it was about the time the 300 whisper/BO was getting popular

As far as the WSSM comment...true some just dont catch on. Its ALL marketing and hype. I have an Olympic arms 25wssm and its unreal. Everyone talked crap about it but its sub moa and has rang 1000m steel so much that the barrel throat is getting worn. According to this website the bolt should have blown up and killed my dog and started a plague 1800rds ago......224 Valkyrie roflmao ...the answer to a question that was already answered.....all market hype.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 10:31:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
 The same Winchester that brought out all the WSM and WSSM cartridges?  how many of those are still around?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good on Winchester, sounds promising

hopefully this catches on better than most .35s do here in the states.....they don't die but are usually relegated to Cult cartridges
lol I think you should maybe research how popular the WSM cartridges are. 300 and 270 WSM aren’t in any danger of going anywhere. The WSSM rounds did flop but they were secondary to the WSM rounds anyway.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 12:04:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Winchester didn't anticipate people would think this may be good for an AR?

So they just accidentally chose a case length that perfectly fit a standard AR lower, chose to base it on 223 so all it should require to work in an AR is a barrel change and maybe mags? Compare it to the 450 BM which was specifically made for an AR? If anything the cartridge seems to be tailor made for the AR platform.

Could they really be that naive to do all of that completely on accident?

It really doesn't matter the market will provide either way , someone's probably working on barrels and mags as we speak lol.

I'm the other way on this cartridge though Im very curious about its short barrel performance. People seem to like 8 or so for 300 black, could this go shorter and maye not have as much blast or is that wishful thinking on my part.

I was considering a 9mm ar pistol for defense purposes something with around a 6 inch or shorter barrel, perfect for 9mm but terrible for anything bigger really. Im wondering if this, with some tweaking could be reliable in a barrel that short and not be as brutal with blast and noise as something like 300 black.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 12:12:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Winchester didn't anticipate people would think this may be good for an AR?

So they just accidentally chose a case length that perfectly fit a standard AR lower, chose to base it on 223 so all it should require to work in an AR is a barrel change and maybe mags? Compare it to the 450 BM which was specifically made for an AR? If anything the cartridge seems to be tailor made for the AR platform.

Could they really be that naive to do all of that completely on accident?

It really doesn't matter the market will provide either way , someone's probably working on barrels and mags as we speak lol.

I'm the other way on this cartridge though Im very curious about its short barrel performance. People seem to like 8 or so for 300 black, could this go shorter and maye not have as much blast or is that wishful thinking on my part.

I was considering a 9mm ar pistol for defense purposes something with around a 6 inch or shorter barrel, perfect for 9mm but terrible for anything bigger really. Im wondering if this, with some tweaking could be reliable in a barrel that short and not be as brutal with blast and noise as something like 300 black.
View Quote
That has been my thought with this. I was wanting to build an ultra short AR with a less than 10" barrel. But I have been resisting BLK. This seems to be exactly what I want too with 180gr super projectiles.

I guess I'll just have to be patient.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 12:20:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Love my .17 WSM,
Now if I can find a way to reload it  
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 12:29:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends.

Lots of lightweight 9mm cans are specifically designed to handle 9mm pistol pressures. Shooting a rifle through them may result in undesired results.

Ask the can manufacturer first.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 12:30:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That's actually a good selling point considering the amount of kabooms I see posted these days.
View Quote
I can see how it would be easy to do. My 300blk was a 5.56 for 10 years. The only difference now is that it has a vortex 1 - 6 on it instead of an eotech. I just don’t let the ammo get any where near each other.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 12:42:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Oh hell yes, I want one right now.
View Quote
Same here. I'm not normally a bandwagon jumper on-er, but I want on.

Mark! Get the chamber specs and get barrels to market asap please.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I hope it fares better than all the WSSM fails.
View Quote
My brother used to have a 223 WSSM. that thing was like a laser beam. Freaky looking little cartridge.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 1:29:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My brother used to have a 223 WSSM. that thing was like a laser beam. Freaky looking little cartridge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hope it fares better than all the WSSM fails.
They were actually really cool cartridges. Kind of a weird fit and weird guns with a bunch of little issues.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 1:29:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I can see how it would be easy to do. My 300blk was a 5.56 for 10 years. The only difference now is that it has a vortex 1 - 6 on it instead of an eotech. I just don’t let the ammo get any where near each other.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's actually a good selling point considering the amount of kabooms I see posted these days.
Lately stuff posted online has been more freaky too.

A recent full auto vid said somehow one BLK magically found it's way into a mag of 556 .

At the very least 350 is not going to chamber.

Also this looks like you could get a nearly 300gr pill coming out subsonic. Which sounds fun to me
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 1:39:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

All very terue but here's the stupid part. In IA I am limited to straight wall rounds...for deer. If I want to shoot coyotes with a longrange bottleneck no problem. If I want to turn a yote inside out .338 Lapua would be legal.
View Quote
Oh I know, Ohio’s the exact same way.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 2:09:44 PM EDT
[#27]
IF this new round works well in an AR platform, it will probably do better than the WSSM line.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 2:22:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Do we have the ballistics on these yet?

So I hear is a tad longer than 357 maximum.

I think I want one now.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 3:00:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 3:47:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The new Brownells 25 round Prototype mag might work.

It's straight like a 20.
View Quote
I was just thinking that. Problem is the ribs at the front would probably goof things up (like all 223 mags).

If the cartridge really takes off, maybe Magpul would make a dedicated mag for it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 4:04:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
CMMG's Newest caliber - 350 Legend

Introducing CMMG's newest AR in 350 Legend

https://youtu.be/ZAMlRRwtEAo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAMlRRwtEAo
View Quote
Cock tease
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 4:38:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
CMMG's Newest caliber - 350 Legend

Introducing CMMG's newest AR in 350 Legend

https://youtu.be/ZAMlRRwtEAo

https://www.cmmginc.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/CMMG-350-Legend-Shot-2019.jpg
View Quote
@CMMG

Thanks for showing us that AR related things are happening with this cartridge, but can we get some more details here? I don't see a product page for this yet on your site.

The mags are different, but are there any other parts differences (other than the barrel)?

Are there capacity issues?
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 5:09:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Things are starting to get interesting now
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 5:24:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 6:02:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 6:19:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
We do not have a product page setup at this time, this will be something we hope to change in the near future. This will be built on our Resolute platform and pricing with specs should be released in the next couple weeks.

A barrel swap and caliber specific mag are the only differences. We have found that the 10 round mags work the best, the round tends to feed more reliably out of the straight body mag and does require a modified mag.

Production parts are on order and we are looking at a March or April launch.
View Quote
Any data on short barrel performance. Also will you be selling the barrels and mags separate by March/April?
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
A barrel swap and caliber specific mag are the only differences. We have found that the 10 round mags work the best, the round tends to feed more reliably out of the straight body mag and does require a modified mag.
View Quote
Not your fault but 10 round mags are disappointing. I was really hoping for at least 20 with the size of the cartridge. With that small a capacity id almost rather for 450BM
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 6:30:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Interesting...would definitely be popular in areas that only allow straight wall rifle cases for hunting.

Sort of want because reasons...
View Quote
My thoughts exactly. I like it!
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 6:37:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Would a Grendel mag work?
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 6:57:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Not your fault but 10 round mags are disappointing. I was really hoping for at least 20 with the size of the cartridge. With that small a capacity id almost rather for 450BM
View Quote
The tech thread link posted early in this thread discusses modifying PMAGs to fit the 357AR wildcat...I'm assuming that the modification would be similar for this cartridge.

Sure would be sweet if Magpul would start making straight 20 rounders again...
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 7:04:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Dammit, I just bought a 45-70 for deer hunting.  Looks like I'm going to be adding another caliber to the stable soon.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 3:00:37 AM EDT
[#42]
CMMG had an AR in 350 Legend

Link Posted: 1/24/2019 3:02:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
CMMG had an AR in 350 Legend

View Quote
Are you serious?

Scroll up.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 3:09:23 AM EDT
[#44]
"Worlds fastest straight-walled cartridge"?

Lol, someone forgot elephant guns exist. Some of the loads for those are stupid-fast.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 4:23:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Not only that, but in my experience with .30 Carbine, (similar straight cartridge) it is necessary to trim.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Everyone that makes note about a cartridge that doesn't need trimming

Is it really that hard?
 Didn't read all the pages, but where does this cartridge headspace?
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 9:51:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 9:59:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Didn't read all the pages, but where does this cartridge headspace?
View Quote
Gotta be on the rim.  I hope a light taper crimp will hold the bullets under recoil.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 10:12:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 10:29:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Our testing has been limited to only the 16" barrels at this time. Mags, barrels, upper groups and rifles will be released at the same time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any data on short barrel performance. Also will you be selling the barrels and mags separate by March/April?
Our testing has been limited to only the 16" barrels at this time. Mags, barrels, upper groups and rifles will be released at the same time.
@CMMG, what twist are the barrels you're using?
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 10:44:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top