Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2021 12:50:14 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:53:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, that sucks, but not exactly surprising either.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:58:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Pretty standard across all kinds of industries
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:59:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Everything has scarcity, this isn't exactly shocking.

Though it does suck.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:01:13 AM EDT
[#4]
In before the ammo conspiracy crowd.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:01:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Of course it has. The USD has lost ~20% value inside of 5 months.

Seriously, there has been decreasing parity between USD and asian currencies, which provides a depressingly accurate snapshot of how bailing out trillions for the coof assfucked our purchasing power.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:36:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd be grudgingly pleased to even find components at 10% increase,  primers at 15% increase, I can't even find any at less than 150% increase when I can find them.

I was trying to find Norma .375 H&H brass, and .375 Nosler Accubonds.  They are unobtanium, it's not like every swinging dick has a .375 H&H in his safe, where the hell did they all go?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:41:33 AM EDT
[#7]
It's either price increases or shittier product.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:09:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Not alarmed, just clear your frigging backlog.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:20:37 AM EDT
[#9]
So is Lake City raising the price on .gov contracts?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:28:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

LC is gov owned, contractor operated last I heard.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:29:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Those increases seem reasonable but its a moot point.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:30:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Winchester took over a few months ago. I bet it is some cost plus x% contract.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:39:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Whatever it takes, just adjust the supply to meet the demand curve.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:39:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Price serves the necessary function of rationing a good or service.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:55:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

It probably doesn’t matter.

Just a matter of time before Biden issues an EO banning Winchester from selling any components or ammo built in the Lake City plant to civilians.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:03:12 AM EDT
[#16]
But there is no need for expansion
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:19:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, Winchester ammo is already Freedom Munition tier so.....
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:31:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Would be nice if they disclosed what their actual cost to make the product is right now.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:40:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Would be nice if they disclosed what their actual cost to make the product is right now.
View Quote

Be nice if they explained how supply and demand works. Seems some still don't get the idea.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:57:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

And what purpose would that serve to you?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:59:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:04:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Before the conspiracy theories start, i can 100% affirm that there are shortages of raw materials across a lot of industries. In my case steel shortages are becoming a major problem throughout the country. Stuff we ordered that once took days now takes months to fabricate. In some cases, industries are rationing steel supply. My fear is that commercial construction will be slowing down as a result.

Im told that our suppliers are having issues getting steel, wood, plastics, paint, etc.

On top of this, there is a real issue with delays in ship times. Its not just USPS delivering mail and parcels. National freight haulers aren't keeping up and trucks are not showing up when they are supposed to. Its been a real shit show for a few months now.

Winchester isn't gouging....this is a real issue and ammo is just one more industrial producer getting impacted by it. They wont be the last.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:19:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Before the conspiracy theories start, i can 100% affirm that there are shortages of raw materials across a lot of industries. In my case steel shortages are becoming a major problem throughout the country. Stuff we ordered that once took days now takes months to fabricate. In some cases, industries are rationing steel supply. My fear is that commercial construction will be slowing down as a result.
View Quote

I was going to post this.

The company I work for is not related to the gun industry at all. We make all sorts of products out of steel and aluminum though, mostly automotive and agriculture related. For the last month we have been running jobs based on what material we have.

2021 be like it is.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:38:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LCAAP has been a GOCO facility for decades
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:44:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol, you forgot get both.  

QC will still keep declining as a cost savings.  Winchester lower grade stuff has been spooky at times over the last few years.   Our training pistol and rifle ammo has has missing primers, inverted primers, rifle ammo with bent necks, folded over necks that prevent chambering, etc.  I had to tell guys to actually inspect their ammo before putting it in the magazines after I did a live ammo pogo demonstration on another guy’s carbine who had a neck folded over itself making it too fat for the chamber neck.

I do not trust Winchester practice grade ammo.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:49:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Everyone is raising prices... sherwin is raising paint prices come February.  Most all commodities are steaming higher.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:18:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Seems reasonable tbh
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:25:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
What fucking business is it to you what it cost a company to make something?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:29:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Be nice if they explained how supply and demand works. Seems some still don't get the idea.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at London Metal Exchange copper prices over the last year. That’s bullet jackets and cartridge brass.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:33:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Look at the prices of copper and zinc (main components of brass) the past year. All up. Nickle too.

Companies aren't selling primers because they need all of them for their own manufacturing. I wouldn't be surprised if powder prices have gone up for them, since it's also in great demand.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:36:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Just a matter of time before Biden issues an EO banning Winchester from selling any components or ammo built in the Lake City plant to civilians.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those are actual contracts with specified terms for government priority as well as commercial sales. The only way an operating company can run that place is to maximize output and squeak by on minimal margins. If we aren’t in a hot shooting war, the .gov doesn’t pull enough ammo to keep them busy. What FJB might be able to do, is place huge orders for strategic reserve and suck up all the capacity, leaving nothing for commercial. You are talking about hundreds and hundreds of millions of rounds of FMJ though.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:38:44 AM EDT
[#32]
The difference in this panic from others is that most gun shops and manufacturers were well-aware of the situation and have been adjusting prices since it began.

This go around they aren't missing out like in the past.

Ammo will never be as cheap as it was a year ago ever again even once this settles.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:16:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Of course it has. The USD has lost ~20% value inside of 5 months.

Seriously, there has been decreasing parity between USD and asian currencies, which provides a depressingly accurate snapshot of how bailing out trillions for the coof assfucked our purchasing power.
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:24:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Does this mean that this 5%-15% wholesale price increase is the first Winchester price increase since all this started? Does this mean that the 300%-500% retail price increases we've seen are all because of distributor and retailer mark-up?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:29:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Understanding short term market spikes vs long term increases that necessitate capitol investment is a thing.  Also, a production capacity increase on this scale has little affect to actually reduce raw material prices in the short term.   It's more about what people can manufacture for you, not that you can produce more.

Question: What do you do for a living?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:36:26 AM EDT
[#36]
If price doesn't equalize demand to supply, how does one expect to avoid shortages?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:51:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yep
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep

Right.  It's probably only a few billion rounds, at this point.  That' shouldn't be a problem...
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:59:36 AM EDT
[#39]
The surprising thing is that the increases are only in the 5-10% range.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:06:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Would you invest tens or hundreds of millions of dollars in increasing your capacity to service the civilian market when the federal government is ruled by Democrats putting legislation like this forward?

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/127

Not a call I'd make for my company.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:46:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Would you invest tens or hundreds of millions of dollars in increasing your capacity to service the civilian market when the federal government is ruled by Democrats putting legislation like this forward?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Memories are short. Mid-2019 you couldn’t give 223 or 5.56 FMJ Ammo away. 9mm ball was about the same. It was as cheap as it was ever going to get, and store shelves were overloaded with it. There isn’t a long term lack of capacity. It is the compression of several years worth of demand into a very short buying frenzy creating an artificially steep demand vs supply curve. That is not a good case for capital expansion in any market segment.

Economics...it’s a thing.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:47:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
In before the ammo conspiracy crowd.
View Quote

In before the micro chips planted in each round to track their use.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top