Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2019 3:52:12 PM EDT
Went to a liquor store today and was recommended these two bottles by the owner. Bought them both. This stuff any good? Worth $50/apiece? I've got too many other opened bottles right now, so it'll be a while before I open these.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 4:01:34 PM EDT
[#1]
tagged to see.... I really like the pot still bottle, but haven't tried it.....  scared that nice bottle may mean crap contents
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 4:04:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve had the one on the right and while not my favorite, it was good.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 4:11:37 PM EDT
[#3]
The stuff on the left is good.  The stuff on the right is lipstick on a pig.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 4:11:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
tagged to see.... I really like the pot still bottle, but haven't tried it.....  scared that nice bottle may mean crap contents
View Quote
My wife was with me, and she likes the cool looking bottles. That one was coming home no matter what. She won't touch the booze inside, but she loves putting new bottles on display in the cabinet so the 1 or 2 guests we have per year can see them.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 5:04:11 PM EDT
[#5]
The one on the right, I find VERY tasty.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 8:06:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Came to post this. Taste being very subjective you might like it, I personally could barely swallow it even mixed with coke.  I’m a fan of wheated bourbon so that might be the difference.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 12:39:53 AM EDT
[#7]
The pot still is meh but the rye you got there is a great pour.  All the rye flavors with some bourbon notes to boot. The nose is pickle brine, cinnamon, and light char smoke. The palate is clean and clear with tastes of a chocolate and rye cereal grain. The finish is long and velvety with warm barrel spices and tropical fruit. Smells and drinks like a whiskey 3 times the price.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 10:49:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I came across the pot stove and grabbed a few different sizes because I never had it and I thought it would look cool in the collection.

Initially I’ve been so so on the taste. I’m not giving up as I’ve had other Bourbons that I didn’t like at first but later did as my taste changed. Example: Col E.H. Taylor. Couldn’t stand it at first. Now I like it a lot.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 3:36:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I too, own a pot still because the bottle looks cool, and collecting is what it is.

I’m not infatuated with the taste, but I’m not terribly swooned by bourbon as a whole. I certainly wouldn’t pay $40 for another, and I have a feeling it will sit 3/4 empty in my collection for a long, long time.

The willet does interest me, however. After finally finding a Sazerac rye, I am looking for more, new rye options
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 4:51:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I’ve had other Bourbons that I didn’t like at first but later did as my taste changed. Example: Col E.H. Taylor. Couldn’t stand it at first. Now I like it a lot.
View Quote
Amen to that.  My best friend owns a bar.  I try new bourbons just about every week (its free) and lots of times he'll give me something and I won't think it is anything special...... by a quick taste, only to find out it is a highly regarded bourbon.  I have to drink a bottle over many different days/weeks to determine how much I appreciate a bourbon.

I learned early on here, to tread lightly listening to other tastes.... people naturally seem to gravitate to a traditional bourbon, or wheated, or rye.  Outside of their preferred bourbon type, they would often turn their nose at really good offerings in the other types.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Amen to that.  My best friend owns a bar.  I try new bourbons just about every week (its free) and lots of times he'll give me something and I won't think it is anything special...... by a quick taste, only to find out it is a highly regarded bourbon.  I have to drink a bottle over many different days/weeks to determine how much I appreciate a bourbon.

I learned early on here, to tread lightly listening to other tastes.... people naturally seem to gravitate to a traditional bourbon, or wheated, or rye.  Outside of their preferred bourbon type, they would often turn their nose at really good offerings in the other types.
View Quote
I think that is the most understated/misunderstood thing in booze.

Weller is great. Special Reserve is a solid bourbon, at $17 a bottle.  I have friends that have paid $100 a bottle because it’s the current hotness. Drink what you like, pay what you think is fair.if you collect and need to fill a niche in the stable, so be it. But if you don’t like wheated, that’s totally fine. My most appreciated bourbon to date is a $12 bottle of Henry McKenna sour mash. It’s everything I could ever ask for from that style of booze.

It’s all preference. The marketing game has got the better of a lot of us (I say with 30 Wellers tucked away in my closet )
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 7:53:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Weller is great. Special Reserve is a solid bourbon, at $17 a bottle.  I have friends that have paid $100 a bottle because it’s the current hotness. Drink what you like, pay what you think is fair.if you collect and need to fill a niche in the stable, so be it. But if you don’t like wheated, that’s totally fine. My most appreciated bourbon to date is a $12 bottle of Henry McKenna sour mash. It’s everything I could ever ask for from that style of booze.

It’s all preference. The marketing game has got the better of a lot of us (I say with 30 Wellers tucked away in my closet )
View Quote
Weller SR is freaking fantastic. I pay close to $50 around here for the big bottle but it's totally worth it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 11:34:56 PM EDT
[#13]
The rye will amaze you. The pot still bourbon? The bottle is pretty. The contents, meh.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 5:00:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Weller SR is freaking fantastic. I pay close to $50 around here for the big bottle but it's totally worth it.
View Quote
I used to have 40 SR’s in the closet

I love that shit. I always thought buffalo trace was a great every day until I found Weller. Then I realized it’s sought after and what not.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:15:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 8:37:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Can’t find either around here... I’ll give ya $150 for both!
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 9:27:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's amazing how many people out there think anything made by Jim Beam is dumpster water and everything made by BT is the nectar of the gods. I'd be interested in seeing a lot of the people who feel that way be submitted to blind tastings.

Now I'm not saying BT is inferior to Beam products or vice versa, because obviously taste is subjective, but I think a lot more people are conflating availability with quality and subconsciously buying into reddit hype. Pretty much any BT product not named Benchmark is vaporware for a lot of the country. I've had quite a few of their expressions, and while good, to me they don't reflect the hype and markup they constantly get. At their normal price point they're great bourbons but once people start marking them up I lose interest fast.

I'll always buy BT products normal MSRP if I come across them but I'll never pay the markup a lot of places want to charge.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 7:33:30 AM EDT
[#19]
I’ve had both. I enjoy the rye more than the bourbon, but both are tasty.

The rye is usually $55-75 and the bourbon is $40-50 in multiple states in New England.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 7:47:44 AM EDT
[#20]
You have two bottles from my favorite distillery on Earth.

I am a rye guy.  Their 4 year rye stands up to much older ryes from other places with ease.

The pot still bottle holds bourbon which I like but isn’t where my tastebuds center.  You may find it amazing.  Taste is subjective.  Regardless, it showcases one of the characteristic aspects of their production process (this is essentially the shape of their secondary still) and I kinda like that.

They make a bunch of other stuff as well.  Noah’s Mill, for instance.  Buy Willett products any chance you get.

They are a craft distillery.  They are as large as you can be and still be a craft distillery.  So they will never pump out the huge volumes that Beam/BT/Maker’s can.  Heck, any of their stuff older than 8 years was actually distilled by somebody else and just finished aging in their Rick houses.

If you ever get a chance to go to Bardstown and visit the Willett Distillery I highly recommend it.  Preferably go to one of the big boys first and then go to Willett.  You’ll see and appreciate the differences that way.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 11:35:27 AM EDT
[#21]
I’m going to provide a counter argument to the above, hopefully it will be received in a positive way.

I’m comparison to their neighbors (heaven hill) they could be considered a craft distillery.  But compared to smaller craft distilleries, it is very much a commercial operation.

For rye - they are just OK.  Most of what I’ve had (and I have a fairly extensive collection of it ) is a very high rye mashbill and has a very minty nose and finish .  I much prefer the barely legal rye offerings from turkey or beam.  If you want a cheaper alternative, mgp 95% rye mashbill is much better.

I’m not a fan of their bourbon except for maybe the old Bardstown BiB.  The pot still is not very good, and the other brands (Rowan or Noah’s mill) aren’t much better, for the price .  Their WFE bourbons are some of the most overpriced bourbon out there (150+ for a 6 year bourbon).

A lot of what they are know for are the older sourced barrels, which we don’t really know where they are sourced from (most likely HH) because they are not open about disclosing .

Their property is amazing, but their bar/lounge is a joke.  Everything is super expensive and not where you want to go if you want to sample some of their sourced barrels for a reasonable cost.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 4:40:55 PM EDT
[#22]
I've since managed to open both bottles and taste the wares inside. The rye is indeed delicious and worth the cost. The bourbon would be great at the $30 mark, but $50 is too high. That said, I certainly didn't hate it and have no regrets over buying it.

I actually made an effort to finish the bourbon rather quickly, just to get that bottle and its fat bottom off of my liquor shelf.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 4:16:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've since managed to open both bottles and taste the wares inside. The rye is indeed delicious and worth the cost. The bourbon would be great at the $30 mark, but $50 is too high. That said, I certainly didn't hate it and have no regrets over buying it.

I actually made an effort to finish the bourbon rather quickly, just to get that bottle and its fat bottom off of my liquor shelf.
View Quote
You know I had the exact same experience with both Willet's, except I ordered online and bought two bottles of the bourbon.  I love the Rye and will get another when I finish this bottle, but the bourbon is set aside for cocktails and guests that really want it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 10:24:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

It needs a few drops of water.  Just half a teaspoon works pretty good.  Keeps me out of the "good stuff"....at least for a minute or two.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 11:54:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Rye is good, and I personally like the pot still. I’ve heard they changed the mash bill up and it’s supposed to be better.

I’m glad I like it because the 1.75 liter bong of it I got before trying would be hard to put away
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 5:10:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 9:20:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Rye is good, and I personally like the pot still. I've heard they changed the mash bill up and it's supposed to be better.

I'm glad I like it because the 1.75 liter bong of it I got before trying would be hard to put away
View Quote
That suckah is eeeuge!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 1:42:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Willett rye is the best I've ever had
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 7:46:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 5:16:34 PM EDT
[#30]
can you return them? Willet estate purple top is amazing these others, well, not so much. There are some fanatics that dig the estate rye, but you really have to like rye whiskeys
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 4:38:13 PM EDT
[#31]
I never see it get any love but Johnny Drum is one of my favorites.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top