Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/28/2021 9:19:13 AM EDT
Like all of you with minor children, my kids have been home from school since March of last year.

I love my kids.  I also think we are all getting kind of tired of spending so much time at home.

And my kids are definitely sick of “distance learning.”  The lack of summer camps, cancelled sports, etc. makes it worse.

Wife & I both work at home, of course. Seems like everyday turns into “blursday.”   Anyone else tired of this Corona-crap?
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:20:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Hopefully this summer.  I am teaching all FF classes starting this summer.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:21:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Georgia (Cherokee county) has been in person all year
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:21:30 AM EDT
[#3]
They are open here in Florida.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:23:22 AM EDT
[#4]
It is 5 days a week here for my middle schooler.  She has been in school at least 2 days/week and they ramped up to 5 days by the beginning of January.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:24:46 AM EDT
[#5]
We have been in-person school since August (private), with no issues (thank God!)

Public went back about a month later in September (option for in-person or remote, I think about 50/50 chose each), to the enormous consternation and whining of teachers. But again, some cases but no huge issues beyond the media stirring up hype initially with each and every case making headlines. Fortunately that scare tactic petered out.

Kids around here seem much happier and are back on playgrounds and playing sports after school. Glad to see them able to be kids again without the anxieties of scared adults.

Sorry to hear that not all states are doing as well. Hope and pray for the rest of the country to come to its collective senses.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:24:59 AM EDT
[#6]
We're in person here.  Just got him on the bus.

No sports for the little kids though.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:25:19 AM EDT
[#7]
My son has gone to a private school all his life. Public schools are 100% remote in my area but I just dropped him off at school.   A large percentage of the families have significant cash and travel during long breaks so he was remote after Christmas for 2 weeks. I pay $18,000 per year but he is in school and getting a great education from the top school in the area. I didn't think I was getting any value from the school until Covid hit.  He just better understand that I could own a nice used Ferrari for what I'm paying for high school.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:26:37 AM EDT
[#8]
My kid has been in class room since Aug last year....Perhaps that’s something you need to take up locally?
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:27:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Public school in Colorado, my kids have been pretty much in school all year.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:27:53 AM EDT
[#10]
In person here all year except an extra week if Christmas break.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:28:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:28:14 AM EDT
[#12]
my kids have been business as usual in-person, other than having to wear a diaper on their face all day.  The schools and dr/dentist offices are literally the only places that require a facial diaper.  Sports are going on as normal, etc.  Red states rock.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:29:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Most of NH is in person, at least partially.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:29:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Despite our govenors best efforts.... all four of our children have been in person schooling for 95% of the year. Let the kids learn and have a normal life
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:30:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Like all of you with minor children, my kids have been home from school since March of last year.

I love my kids.  I also think we are all getting kind of tired of spending so much time at home.

And my kids are definitely sick of “distance learning.”  The lack of summer camps, cancelled sports, etc. makes it worse.

Wife & I both work at home, of course. Seems like everyday turns into “blursday.”   Anyone else tired of this Corona-crap?
View Quote

Definitely not all. Our kids were out as school closed out at the beginning of all of this but quickly went back. Our schools gave a choice and it was a pretty even split. 1/3 went back full time (like my boys did) 1/3 split learning (which I don't understand at all) and 1/3 opted for distance learning.

I can't imagine if my kids were virtual learning this long. It would have absolutely destroyed them mentally and socially

DeSantis is the greatest Governor ever. Believes in the people's ability to choose.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:30:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Please take my kids back to the indoctrination camp!
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:31:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pull them out of school, and get them your own chosen curriculum.
They're home anyway, and the school will lose that sweet, sweet per-pupil money. If enough people do this, they'll stop this nonsense
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:32:28 AM EDT
[#18]
In person here in public schools. Started July 29th. No kids have died
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:33:09 AM EDT
[#19]
My kids have been back in school since August.
[#20]
We have been 4 days a week the entire new school year so far.
[#21]
School is open here in the Ozarks
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:34:23 AM EDT
[#22]
In upstate NY they keep moving the goalposts in classic two more weeks fashion. It was the 11th of january then it was the 25th now its sometime in february. I honestly don't know how my friends with kids are doing it. I would be losing my mind.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:34:37 AM EDT
[#23]
We have been FTF off and on this year.  Currently FTF and I expect we’ll stay that way for the rest of the year.

EVERY SCHOOL IN THE COUNTY is closing next Thursday and every school employee IN THE COUNTY is getting first-dose vaccinated on the same day, like 3,500 people.

ETA: Damn, that’s a lot of school employees now that I see the number in black and white like that.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:34:42 AM EDT
[#24]
I am in the process of buying a home in SD. Up here in the Rapid City area the kids are back in school Mon.-Thur. Fridays school is closed for deep cleaning. In Clark County, NV where I currently live, the Clark County School District is still online only. IMHO they will not open back up until at least the 2021-2022 school year.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:34:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Open in PA but homeschooled
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:34:51 AM EDT
[#26]
We've been back "in person" since July.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:35:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Wide open here. I'm not sure how though as in my county I think that the total school population left is maybe 20 kids across the 25 schools. It's sad that we went from close to 50000 kids in August to almost 20. 49000 kids died already from in class learning. Thanks governor desantis for killing our kids.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:36:06 AM EDT
[#28]
GA checking in.  We reopened Aug 17th and have not had to close even temporarily.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:36:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Our schools have been open since September.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:37:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Private school here and my daughter has been going with no break other than they extended the Christmas break.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:38:30 AM EDT
[#31]
We've been back K-12 all year in Iowa, at least in the non-communist held territories.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:38:55 AM EDT
[#32]
In most places school won’t return until they force the teachers back to work or fire them all.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:40:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Our district is in person, along with many others. I think It’s just Cook county districts (Chicago CPS and surrounding areas) that are closed.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:40:09 AM EDT
[#34]
There is no way your kids are getting an education through “virtual learning” time for one of you to quit your job and homeschool. Trust me, it is so worth it. My 8 and 10 year old are three grade levels ahead of their friends in public school. Especially the ones that have been doing virtual class all year. There are already studies showing huge gaps. You could also look into private schools. I’m not rich, my wife quit her job a few years ago to homeschool. We have made sacrifices, never eat out, have no debt, drive old cars, buy less guns and ammo, but who cares. Look into ‘Classical Conversations’ I highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:41:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We have been in-person school since August (private), with no issues (thank God!)

Public went back about a month later in September (option for in-person or remote, I think about 50/50 chose each), to the enormous consternation and whining of teachers. But again, some cases but no huge issues beyond the media stirring up hype initially with each and every case making headlines. Fortunately that scare tactic petered out.

Kids around here seem much happier and are back on playgrounds and playing sports after school. Glad to see them able to be kids again without the anxieties of scared adults.

Sorry to hear that not all states are doing as well. Hope and pray for the rest of the country to come to its collective senses.
View Quote

The "whining of teachers" is why Clark County School District in Nevada didn't open up. They made a drama llama show in the local media about how they had to write their last wills and testaments since the coof would kill them and the kids if they went back to in person classes. Since the teachers have a powerful union and the guvnah is a pro- shutdown blue state doomer they are still online only.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:42:40 AM EDT
[#36]
My kid is back in school. Last week an entire class had covid though so things are dicey.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:43:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My kid has been in class room since Aug last year....Perhaps that’s something you need to take up locally?
View Quote

It’s a huge fight here in Fairfax county, VA.

As in: lawsuits, yard signs, etc,  it even made the Chris Plant radio talk show yesterday.

He explained:

90% of the unionized teachers are either vaccinated against Covid, or are scheduled to get vaccinated soon (ahead of almost everyone else), but

- the teacher’s union has re-opened their contract, and are now demanding a new vaccine be developed for children (the current vaccines are NOT approved for kids; adults only).  The unions says it won’t go back until all kids are vaccinated, and

- union says it’s not safe for teachers to go back until they get a big pay raise.

Meanwhile:  

Our school board?  - they spend most of their time and $$ on re-naming schools (yes - it costs several hundred thousand to re-name each school).  They claim “kids of color do not feel safe in a school with a politically incorrect name” and cannot learn.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:44:50 AM EDT
[#38]
They are just starting up the middle & high school in WA now with 2 days/wk in-person.

Honestly not sure going back is worth it.  Even with low coronavirus risk.  I don't necessarily disagree with all the safety protocols, but for the net 35-45 minutes they get "in-person" in each class,  the "added value" of sitting in front of a teacher (with their Chromebooks) is just not worth having to wear a mask all day and dealing with all the other safety protocols.

But I do worry about the social aspect, and the physical activity.  Not getting enough of either during these Winter months.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:46:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:47:00 AM EDT
[#40]
our school only closed for 3 weeks.  

kids need to be in school, for their sanity and their parents sanity.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:48:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Kiddos been going all year here in Houston.  But this is a free state (so far anyway).

School districts gave parents the choice attend school in person or online.  Online sucks, so my son's been going all year and loves it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:49:00 AM EDT
[#42]
My kid just left for school, they've been back in class all year.

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:49:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:49:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Still F2F around here.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:50:02 AM EDT
[#45]
In person all year so far. Luckily our governor has resisted the urge of our liberal commie state superintendant of education wishes to remote learn only. Phoenix area has had some teacher walkouts but most rural areas are in person and I am extremely grateful and love it. I just laigh at people saying trust the science until it doesnt work to there agenda. CDC said kids should be in school yet that wasnt pushed. Go figure
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:51:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
We are open for in person school. About 30% of kids are still online by choice. About half of those are failing everything.
View Quote

Failing kids:  I’ve read about that some.  In a few poor areas, I heard up to 1/4 of kids simply never logged on at all to online learning.  I thought school was mandatory to age 16 in the USA?

Also read that some parents allegedly cannot afford internet access (so .gov provided it - for free).  Around here, they bought every single kid their own laptop.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:52:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Private school started up maybe a week late here back in late summer. Public school about the same time... Not for sure.

A few kids in private school are still at home distance learning.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:53:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

My Grandson has been back in school every day, all day long, since early September..............
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:57:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Our kids have been in school all year.

There were a few days or weeks where they each stayed home but not many.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:58:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Homeschool.  Better education, no indoctrination.  Starve the beast.

Private school.  Better education, more control over indoctrination.  Starve the beast.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top