Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:20:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Gun shop in Westerville?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:30:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Guy went to a local shop, rented a couple range guns to shoot, an AR and a pistol. Finished shooting and returned the AR but took off with the pistol. They noticed immediately and called PD to report. While that was going on he went to his ex-wife's house and shot up her car or house or something.

Turns out he had a domestic history with her and he had an active restraining order. Was not supposed to be in possession.

Worked at a shop in the early '90s and we would occasionally get the hood rats wandering in looking around suspiciously. Figured out they would walk through our ammo shelving and lift a few rounds out of the boxes. So we had to spend a few days building new shelves behind the counter for the ammo.
View Quote

Imagine leaving and being like "yeah!  7 rounds"

Trash
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:31:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I walked into a lgs a few years back, and headed directly to the counter.

BOOOOOOM

I looked up.  A jackass incompetent store employee was staring at me with eyes as big as saucers, and holding an AR.

The store had low-hung acoustic tiles; the one directly above my head now had a hole in it.

One of the other employees comes over, ignoring the jackass still holding a loaded rifle.  He faces me, puts his hands on my shoulders, and loudly proclaims "GOD IS *WITH* YOU !!!!

The manager then arrives from her office, and asks me "How much to buy your silence?"
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:36:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yeah, saw that happen more than a few times.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got banned from one for "life" because my buddy bought an AR someone wanted to trade in for $20 more at the counter.

I was banned for being next to him and knowing him, I was only meeting someone in the parking lot to sell a revolver.

Yeah, saw that happen more than a few times.

Well, shit.

Guys already getting raped by the shop.  Turnabout and all that.

I have a hard time getting my vagina sandy on this one.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#5]
A clerk told me the other day that there's no such thing as a midlength gas system for the AR15. Thought that was pretty wild.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:40:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

BOOOOOOM

I looked up.  A jackass incompetent store employee was staring at me with eyes as big as saucers, and holding an AR.

The store had low-hung acoustic tiles; the one directly above my head now had a hole in it.

One of the other employees comes over, ignoring the jackass still holding a loaded rifle.  He faces me, puts his hands on my shoulders, and loudly proclaims "GOD IS *WITH* YOU !!!!

The manager then arrives from her office, and asks me "How much to buy your silence?"
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:40:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

To be fair, it's a stupid rule and I can see why she would think that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some time back I  sold a good friend of mine her first AR. It was a BCM lower with a Doublestar upper.  Nice rig and I sold it for way less than I had in it to help her out.

Of course, she was hooked, and in the subsequent weeks I had explained to her about Colt making them for the military, etc.

One day she asked me to meet her at the LGS to get her AR boresighted with a red dot.  

The gun shop just happened to have a couple of the Colt CR6920's in stock.  Naturally, I teased her about "needing" a Colt to add to her just-birthed collection.  She finally relented and started the paperwork. First she had trouble getting the bank to release the funds on her debit card, and when that was all taken care of she proceeded to dive into the 4473 form.

She got to the question about being an unlawful user of controlled substances, and looked up at the gun shop clerk with a sheepish look.  "I've got a medical marijuana card," she said blankly.

I about shit right there.

The gun shop clerk didn't say anything for a few seconds, then chimed in, "Sorry, ma'am.  I can't sell you a gun."

She looked down at the form again, and added, "Well, it's expired.  Does that count?"

He thought for a minute and breathed an obvious sigh of relief, "Okay, as long as it's expired, ma'am.  It is really expired, right?"

She nodded and finished the form.  She passed the NICS check easily and we got the Hell out of there with her new Colt under her arm.

"I didn't know you couldn't buy a gun if you have a marijuana card," she shrugged.

I just sat there in her car and didn't say a fucking word until I had a chance to change the subject.

To be fair, it's a stupid rule and I can see why she would think that.

There are some people in this world that dont get medical cards so they dont break this law.   Drunk going to his watering hole immediately after, fuck it.  Mama and her little helper, science man.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:42:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:46:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

BOOOOOOM

View Quote

Well?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd rather hear about your idiot friend's negligent discharges with his own guns.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm going to have to disagree with you a little. Some people might look at you funny when you clear an "obviously" unloaded gun at a gun store but you get even more funny looks when you blow a hole in the ceiling.
View Quote

I wouldn't pull the trigger on a gun that didn't belong to me, in a shop, without permission, clearing it and using a snap cap. But that's me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:03:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I deal with this sort of thing all the time with my clients who while they may be wealthy have no idea how to actually do anything handy or mechanical but they will tell me how I should do the work that they don't know how to do and hired me to do...
Painful, just painful.
View Quote

You should try selling auto parts at a parts store in the hood...
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:09:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I heard a gunshot at a gun show once, as usual it was as dealer who pulled out his personal gun and dropped the mag, handed it to a potential buyer who pulled the trigger.

That's the most exciting thing I can think of.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

BOOOOOOM

View Quote

Soooooo...how much?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:18:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

BOOOOOOM

View Quote
I'm thinking the price for my silence on that case would be the cost of a suppressor at a minimum
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Not a gun shop incident but I was at the Fayetteville show when a person discharged a firearm that put part of the lights out.  Things got real quiet quick.
View Quote

I think I was there for that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:42:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Soooooo...how much?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BOOOOOOM

Soooooo...how much?

Obviously more than he was paid, or we would have never heard about it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:47:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Well?
View Quote

She didn't actually pay me anything.

It was the AR Bunker in Newnan.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Legit

Mine involves the best gun store ever. ‘Just Guns’ on S. Congress in Austin.

Back then, there was still a prositute problem up and down that street.

Anyways, Rob had a bunch of Police buddies that would show up and shoot the shit from time to time.

One day while we were al looking over some new inventory, one officer, with out skipping a beat, opened the door to the street and yelled at the top of his lungs, “Hey, you fucking whores...Beat it!”

They responded with a one finger salute, moved on down the road and he came back in chuckling.

“That’s how it’s done boys, that’s how it’s done.”

I really miss that store.

RIP Rob

View Quote

What's now known as "SOCO" wasn't so hip back in the day. Hookers, bums and dope ruled the area. I remember when a state rep was busted down there while looking for a "date." The now-trendy hotels used to do business by the hour. LOL.

And yes, RIP Rob.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:02:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Some time back I  sold a good friend of mine her first AR. It was a BCM lower with a Doublestar upper.  Nice rig and I sold it for way less than I had in it to help her out.

Of course, she was hooked, and in the subsequent weeks I had explained to her about Colt making them for the military, etc.

One day she asked me to meet her at the LGS to get her AR boresighted with a red dot.  

The gun shop just happened to have a couple of the Colt CR6920's in stock.  Naturally, I teased her about "needing" a Colt to add to her just-birthed collection.  She finally relented and started the paperwork. First she had trouble getting the bank to release the funds on her debit card, and when that was all taken care of she proceeded to dive into the 4473 form.

She got to the question about being an unlawful user of controlled substances, and looked up at the gun shop clerk with a sheepish look.  "I've got a medical marijuana card," she said blankly.

I about shit right there.

The gun shop clerk didn't say anything for a few seconds, then chimed in, "Sorry, ma'am.  I can't sell you a gun."

She looked down at the form again, and added, "Well, it's expired.  Does that count?"

He thought for a minute and breathed an obvious sigh of relief, "Okay, as long as it's expired, ma'am.  It is really expired, right?"

She nodded and finished the form.  She passed the NICS check easily and we got the Hell out of there with her new Colt under her arm.

"I didn't know you couldn't buy a gun if you have a marijuana card," she shrugged.

I just sat there in her car and didn't say a fucking word until I had a chance to change the subject.
View Quote
I think smoking pot is stupid and drugs in general are bad but a MJ card is no different than someone have a 'script for pain meds.  I've got a couple of bottles of Norco in the house, got 'scripts and never used it. That should not be a disqualifier.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:05:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I think smoking pot is stupid and drugs in general are bad but a MJ card is no different than someone have a 'script for pain meds.  I've got a couple of bottles of Norco in the house, got 'scripts and never used it. That should not be a disqualifier.
View Quote

I agree, but I actually looked up the ATF letter and read it.  If you've got a state issued MJ card:  no guns for you.

The Feds definitely need to join the 21st century.  My friend is in constant pain and I understand her desire to have medical MJ card.  She's not a stoner out of wanting to party.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:10:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Well, shit.

Guys already getting raped by the shop.  Turnabout and all that.

I have a hard time getting my vagina sandy on this one.
View Quote
Yeah, I remember the owner of our shop flat out not wanting to buy a gun a customer brought in (don't even remember what kind of gun it was, it was so long ago). Another customer who was a regular was standing there and made the guy an offer. Owner said something to the effect of, "Do the sale outside, and don't ever come back." That guy didn't play around.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:30:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
In this case I was with the dipshit involved.

I was home for Christmas break from college and had a buddy of mine with me. He was from a state (don't recall which) that didn't have machine guns to rent at ranges and we decided it would be fun to go shoot some full auto.

We went to a now closed range that among other items, had a full auto AK for rent.

We decided that would be our gun, so we rented it and very fortunately for me charged it on his credit card.

The guy behind the counter asked if either of us were familiar with how an AK works and if we had ever shot full auto before. Both were "yes" from me, so he handed me the gun, my buddy took the ammo and we went to the lane he told us to go to. As luck would have it this was in the morning on a weekday and we were alone in that set of lanes.

We load up a few mags and he wants me to go first, just to see how it works and all that. I squeeze off bursts of 3-4 rounds at a time and I guess everything looked as straight forward as it appeared.

His turn.

He's got the gun, pointing down range. I hand him a mag and he gets it seated properly and chambers a round. So far so good.

I explain to him where the safety is and to leave it alone until he's ready to shoot. The last thing I said to him was "Ok, so you're going to want to shoot short bursts and not just empty the mag. The reason for this is that continuing to hold the trigger down will make the muzzle of the gun rise up and your shots will be completely off target if you do that. So don't do that. Ok?" "Got it, ok."

He shoulders the rifle and aims down range, steadies himself and flips the safety off. What immediately followed was a 30 round mag dump. As predicted, the muzzle did in fact rise up.

This range had tiers of angled ceiling tiles all the way down the range, each with a fluorescent light behind them. Very much like this:
https://cdn0.wideopenspaces.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/oak-ridge-gun-range.jpg

As the mag dump occurs and the muzzle immediately starts rising, the destruction begins. He hit paper, then the clip holding the target, then the cables above the clip, then in to a succession of ceiling tiles and the light fixtures behind them. It all happened very fast,

By the time the mag dump was over, the floor of the lane had his target laying face down, pieces of the destroyed clip/clip hardware and a shit load of ceiling tile pieces spread all fucking over the place. The cable for the targets had been cut and flopped down, two separate fluorescent light fixtures were  now visible and dangling from the ceiling, one completely out, one still flickering a little, both shot to shit. It was a pretty remarkable amount of damage and it's right about then that I was at least glad he put this event on his credit card.

Needless to say that second mag was the last one of the day. I wish I had a photo of the before and after because the transformation of that lane was pretty incredible.

It was a very expensive day for him.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:45:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
No ND's but I have been around when someone brought in a loaded gun for the shop to look at.
View Quote

some years ago at a small shop in Statesboro ga (long gone now) a fella walked in with a Redhawk.  the hammer was stuck in the cocked position & wouldn`t move.  he told the owner he had been shooting & it just stopped. and yes, it was loaded. everybody scattered.  when it locked up the guy handed it to his wife who held it pointed between her feet as he drove to the shop. he had not even thought to put something under the hammer, cause it already wasn`t working.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:51:21 PM EDT
[#25]
There were always the people who rented a pistol and when they were done shooting they would bring it back with a mag and a round or two still in the chamber and mag, safety off if it had one and lay it on the counter pointed at me. They thought the gun wasn't loaded.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:36:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Not all that uncommon. A lot of shops have started to adopt policies of you have to be with someone else to rent a gun, be known to the shop, etc. to avoid those types of issues.
View Quote

Maybe require a CCW where they are issues would be a help for that type of thing.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:42:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Walked in to look at a new pistol. They had a surplus Sig M17. Asked to see it, and checked the chamber and promptly dropped the slide. Was absolutely berated by the boomer behind the counter for dropping the slide on an empty mag. Pissed me off enough I didn’t buy it. I’ve since been back because it’s the only game in town for decently priced stuff, but that left a bad taste in my mouth. Idiot. Bought another Glock somewhere else
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:49:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well?

Giggity
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:49:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

A certain RSO at the NRA HQ range used to routinely send rounds into the floor and ceiling.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://bristleconeshooting.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Bristlecone-10.jpg

Here is an American indoor gun range, open to the public.

Like every range open to the public, there is evidence of negligent discharges on the overhead baffles, the floor, the walls, etc.

We suck at safe gun handling as a whole.  Sad to say it, but it’s true.

A certain RSO at the NRA HQ range used to routinely send rounds into the floor and ceiling.

@t44e6

There is a chance I know him.  

While I was in the NRAHQ basement the other day looking for a new 1 piece cleaning rod, I have not shot there in a while.  I mostly go to Greg’s place out 66.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:57:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Customer comes in with his bright red TRUMP hat, and an AR with bumpstock....he didn't see the irony of his felonious possession and voting habits. "Muh Trump"

Today I overheard that green lasers are more accurate than red lasers.

Everyday it's more of the same bullshit. It gets so fucking old after awhile.

Or every fucking day: "Why don't you have X ammo; why has ammo gone up in price; why don't you have more guns/selection?"  Seriously, have you fucks been living under a rock for the last year???
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:42:58 PM EDT
[#31]
If you know Atlanta then you know about Little Five Points, the neighborhood of hippies and counterculture copied out of the San Francisco playbook.  Twenty-five years ago, in between the nose ring parlors and tie-dye stands, stood a small pawn shop.  On a very busy Saturday back then I decide to visit the shop while other friends are outside people watching.  

Inside is the typical selection of beat up musical instruments and power tools, but lo and behold, one small case of firearms.  And would you know it, an M1 Carbine Enforcer pistol in said case.   The eager sales guy sees me peering at it, and says, “you know that’s an M2.”

“Really?” I said, “What else NFA you got?”

“Well we have a really nice HK-21.   Want to see it?”

Hell yes.  Sales guy goes in the back, and out comes the owner with an as-new HK-21 in all its glory, sets it on the counter on its bipod.   Every hippie in the store stops dead in their tracks.  You could hear a pin drop.

Owner looks at me and says “Here it is.  25 grand.”

I look it over and thank him, as a crowd starts to form at the counter right before I leave.  To this day it’s the only time I’ve seen an HK GPMG up close and in the damndest location.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:19:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Not me but my sister when she goes to buy ammo. She asks for .38 Super. They hand her .38 Special. Every single time.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:23:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Walked in and was looking at a mint black and stainless Springfield Loaded Target 1911. Guy at the counter said to make an offer. The tag said $750, I jokingly told him $550 was the best I could do. He chuckled and shook his head and said there was no way but he would go run it by the owner. He goes to her office and a couple minutes later he walks out and she pops her head out and winks at me, says it doesn’t take a howitzer to kill a deer, and told him to sell it to me for $500.

Driving home with my new to me 1911 it took a while for me to remember several years prior I had been in a different shop before deer season picking up some .243 ammo. The lady working the counter at the time asked if I was buying it for deer season. She laughed and said all that had been selling was .300 win mag and the other short magnums that were super popular at the time. I remembered then I told her “Ma’am, it doesn’t take a howitzer to kill a deer”
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:40:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Saw what I believe was a straw purchase at cabelas a year or two ago. Pulled a number and was waiting for it to be called, I was buying some poverty pony lowers. This deathly skinny, wide eyed, middle aged white lady was fondling a robins egg blue Glock 19. Not in a ghetto area at all, she looked out of place. She decided on it and filled out her 4473. They’re waiting for the background to come back and two black guys in hooded black sweatshirts come up behind her, talked for a couple seconds, and wandered off. Seemed a little suspicious. Not sure she ever got the handgun or not, seemed like the background was taking a while to come back.

Large indoor range north of me gets a suicide with a rental gun every now and then. Good thing the state police barracks are right behind it
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:07:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I deal with this sort of thing all the time with my clients who while they may be wealthy have no idea how to actually do anything handy or mechanical but they will tell me how I should do the work that they don't know how to do and hired me to do...
Painful, just painful.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was in a LGS and a guy walks in and asked the counter guy if he had any ammo for a Remington 700 he just bought...

LGS Guy: "What's the caliber for the rifle?"  

Gun Owner: "Remington 700"

LGS Guy: "Ok, so that's the model...what is the caliber?"

Gun Owner: "Like I said...Remington 700."

LGS Guy: [WITH A STRAIGHT FACE] "So yeah, you don't have a F'n clue what you're talking about!"

Gun Owner: "...so, you don't have any ammo for a Remington 700."

LGS Guy:  "Nope, try WalMart"

Guy walks out and I literally lose it...I haven't laughed that hard in a while.  The LGS Guy needed a few minutes to compose himself...goes and talks to owner and they pull up the video and are uncontrollably laughing when I left.    

Painful, just painful.
When I was working weekends at a store in Florida, a guy came in asking for some 7.62 (so, a fair few steps ahead of those other guys) but didn't know anything beyond that.  I wanted to be thorough, and we figured it out, and as we were bullshitting afterwords, I went and grabbed a box of every 7.62 ammo we had, and lined up a single cartridge from each.  He thought it was pretty cool, grasped the importance of it, and was a little boggled by the variety and the vast differences.  We had 7.62x54R, 7.62x51, 7.62x39, and 7.63x25 Tokarev.

On the other end of things...yeah, I've dealt with the guy who wants a "clip for a 9mm," and that's all he knows.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:11:57 AM EDT
[#36]
I remember the python going off at the Lewisville show it was 13. I went to that show and that was the first time I had been to a GS at Lewisville, also the last time.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:30:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I was at a gunstore in tacoma , a group of urban "teens" came in looking for .32 and 9mm ammo.
Clerk went and got her boss and he refused to serve em. He was called all kinds of racist as they left.

She said it happened from time to time.
View Quote

Bullseye or surplus ammo & arms?
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:34:42 AM EDT
[#38]
This was probably 20 years ago or so. Stopped by the LGS one day just to kill time. BSing the guy behind the counter, and a man walks in asking if they buy guns. Sure do, so he heads back out to his vehicle, and brings back a shotgun. Side by side, with maybe 12" of barrels, and the stock cut off behind the grip. Classic sawed-off. Other than that, he didn't look out of the ordinary by any means. Before he gets halfway between the front door and the counter, the employee tells him "you take that, get it the fuck out of this shop, and don't ever darken that doorstep again, understand?" Smart move on his part.

A couple minutes later, a man walks in, right up to the counter, shows some form of I.D., and tells the employee "Congratulations, you just passed your pop quiz. You get to stay in business." A surprise visit by A-fucking-TF.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:37:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I was at Bull’s Eye Shooter Supply in Tacoma, the one that was said to have sold under the table the Bushmaster that involved the D.C. sniper shootings in 2002, when they were raided!

Fun times seeing a lot of guys storm the place and all of us just freezes. Damn, I was there looking at some holsters and belts. I went there quite a lot for the indoor range. I looked at one of the guys at the counter and I said to him, well, I guess you will be closed for a while. I was then talked to and free to leave afterwards.
View Quote

It's still open
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:51:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:57:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Reason #2 for getting my FFL was to never have to step inside a gun store again...
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 2:21:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
A few months ago myself and 2 friends went to a LGS
View Quote

Some years back I read a book that had a couple of chapters on 'failure analysis'. It sparked an interest in the subject. Turns out that failure analysis is a very useful thing to do. It keeps pilots and other can't-make-a-mistake professionals from killing themselves or their clients. It keeps me from doing dumb stuff more than once, and, perhaps more importantly, has taught me to look at every awkward interaction or happening in a business transaction as a potential step in a failure. This spurs me to push hard to end the series of steps that leads to cascading failures BEFORE they become failures. This allows me to do better work and sleep better at night.

My point in telling you that is that the LGS guy who put the gun where it was accessible to the public made a big first step in this failure, and then he loaded the thing up with blanks (better than real ammo, but still dumb) and then he failed to restrict access to the gun, then your buddy came in and  had the nerve to actually pull the trigger without checking to see if it was loaded. In short, he stomped all over the entire list of 4 rules of gun safety.

Your buddy didn't cause the entire accident, nor did the LGS guy. But the two of them together were a perfect storm of idiocy and negligence and I'd avoid both of them in the future. YMMV.

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 2:40:12 AM EDT
[#43]
I worked at Barrett for 15 years. I was head of assembly and test fire. I had sent 3 guys to the range to fire some rifles that were going to the Air Force for EOD use. The guys come back and are unloading rifles out of the van into a few racks.
A few rifles are sitting up on a work table. One of the guys from the machine shop comes wandering in the assembly area and is finger fucking the rifles on the work tables.  At the same time an AF  Brig Gen is in the shop getting the tour. Machine shop guy pulls the trigger on one rifle that is facing away and out towards one of the exterior walls. He pulls the trigger and "BOOM!" sets a round off. AF General is standing about 15-20' away. He doesn't flinch a bit. Just turns around and walks away.
3 guys that went to the range and didn't clear the rifles got 3 days off.  We found another rifle with a round in it.

Quite a few years later, I was shooting some M107's on the 100m indoor range next to the shop. I'm knocking out 100m targets pretty quickly on rifles.
I pull the trigger on one and "BOOM!" the barrel spilts in 4 pieces from the barrel extension to the muzzle brake.  I feel like I got a punch to the head by a heavy weight prize fighter. When I come to, the other guy in the range with me is standing over me wide eyed and asking if I'm alive.
Takes about 10 seconds for Ronnie to coming running into the range from the front offices. Sees me on the floor flat on my back and just says "Oh shit"
I told them I'm pretty much okay, but I should probably go the hospital because I think my right shoulder was dislocated.  It wasn't,  but damn, it and my right jaw hurt like a bitch.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:12:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The barrel looked like a dirt road; it had obviously been fired with sand in the bore.  
View Quote

Damn, that sounds really bad.

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:23:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Right after Obama was elected I was in town doing a few things. Had a few so I stopped in and walked around Gander Mountain. Just walking around wasn't looking and wasn't buying. A guy was knocking guns off the rack in the back yelling about how Gander Mountain was price gouging by raising prices on ARs. I was way back but watching. Gunsmith leaned out of the little window they had with a short double barreled shotgun I guess he was working on and pointed it right at the guy "Find a new place to complain". I left lol.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:04:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
This was probably 20 years ago or so. Stopped by the LGS one day just to kill time. BSing the guy behind the counter, and a man walks in asking if they buy guns. Sure do, so he heads back out to his vehicle, and brings back a shotgun. Side by side, with maybe 12" of barrels, and the stock cut off behind the grip. Classic sawed-off. Other than that, he didn't look out of the ordinary by any means. Before he gets halfway between the front door and the counter, the employee tells him "you take that, get it the fuck out of this shop, and don't ever darken that doorstep again, understand?" Smart move on his part.

A couple minutes later, a man walks in, right up to the counter, shows some form of I.D., and tells the employee "Congratulations, you just passed your pop quiz. You get to stay in business." A surprise visit by A-fucking-TF.
View Quote

BATFE guys love to be fucksticks.  I had one guy come to the counter looking like a druggy.  Hadn't shaved in a few days, dirty hoodie, jeans, etc, lean up to me and go 'I need to see your books.'  Fuck no.  Get the hell out of here you idiot.  Went back and forth swearing he was ATF but refusing to show a badge while demanding to look at the A&D.  Eventually I got the owner to come down.  Turns out it was a real ATF agent, but what a freaking jackass.

I worked at one shop for 8 years, and ended up taking a year out of state to deal with family stuff.  A week or two after I moved, I got a text from coworkers saying that the owner's brother was stabbed to death in the parking lot.  Apparently almost every employee went outside with their personal firearms or grabbed something off the shelf and loaded it in the effort to go help/stop the guy.  Police showed up just before the perp would have been a smear in the parking lot too.  RIP Tim.

I was at the sister store and got a call that the main store was robbed.  Apparently my boss (old AF CMSgt) had the shit pistol whipped out of him and they cleared out the safe.  That's when they started encouraging employees to carry to work.  (note this was prior to the above by several years)

A drunk broke into the store by cutting through the loading dock door.  Wandered around in hardware section until he found a ballpeen hammer, then decided to chip a hole through the 1" thick acrylic for the pistol cases.  (Hint: they have a regular mirrored glass back) Got a hole big enough to force his hand through and turn it into confetti, and loaded a big duffle bag full of stuff.  Then he wandered around for a bit, trying to find his way out, and ended up sitting by the locked front doors crying when the police showed up.

The building is old as fuck and has all sorts of creaks and groans when you turn off stuff for the night.  For a while, you'd have this whole 'someone is watching me' feeling going on.  Food and water would go missing from the shelves and occasionally the motion alarms would go off, getting the police to show up with dogs, etc.  It kept happening to the point that the police threatened to bill the owner for call outs if the alarm kept going off.  So the owner watched the feeds one night and found out what was happening.  Homeless dude was sleeping upright in the sleeping bag display and coming out at night to do whatever.  Zero freaking idea how the k9 units or SWAT missed the guy on 2-3 callouts.

Some random jackass was setting up leg hold traps all over the store.  We couldn't catch them in the act, but throughout the day we'd find set traps from the (obviously) trapping aisle set throughout the store.  For 3-4 days my job was to patrol the store and trigger the traps with a broomstick.  We couldn't pull them from the shelves because it was peak season for trapping, so orders were in every other day almost.  After a few days it just stopped.  Still confuses me, but whatever.  I'm just happy some kid didn't get their hand broken or something.

Plenty of funny stories from it too, but those are the most wtf.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:10:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Not me but my sister when she goes to buy ammo. She asks for .38 Super. They hand her .38 Special. Every single time.
View Quote

It’s worse when people do that themselves, though. Like buying and shooting .40 through a .45 1911. At least your sister reads the label and corrects them, I bet.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 7:14:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I immediately looked to see if all the blood on my arm was ONLY his, and next I checked my shorts.  

Someone's head going full canoe, at arms reach is an altering experience.
View Quote

Always carry baby wipes.

I don’t even make the discount comment entirely jokingly. Local gun/pawn a few years back had some guy ask to see a 12ga(seems like maybe a Benelli). Pulls a round out, loads, and suck starts it. When I saw the owner about a week after the event, i asked what kind of deal he’d make after it was out of evidence. Guy I use to work with had a Llama 1911 knockoff he acquired dirt cheap after a guy bought it at a gun show in Florida. He bought it, a box of Gold Dots, went to his truck and checked out. I’m guessing the family ended up with it after the investigation and didn’t want it anywhere near them. I don’t blame them, only because of the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 8:05:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

BOOOOOOM

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 8:24:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I was at Bull’s Eye Shooter Supply in Tacoma, the one that was said to have sold under the table the Bushmaster that involved the D.C. sniper shootings in 2002, when they were raided!

Fun times seeing a lot of guys storm the place and all of us just freezes. Damn, I was there looking at some holsters and belts. I went there quite a lot for the indoor range. I looked at one of the guys at the counter and I said to him, well, I guess you will be closed for a while. I was then talked to and free to leave afterwards.
View Quote
That gun was stolen from the used gun display from what I understand.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top