Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2021 9:47:24 PM EDT
We had a power outage & restoration, probably had a spike in the power somewhere. Wife's computer seemed to be OK but her monitor was wonky for a period of time. It's OK now

Now she says she wants a surge protector for her system. Looking for $100 or less. Any idears?
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 9:56:30 PM EDT
[#1]
She doesn't need a surge protector, she needs a battery backup.

Look into an APC battery backup and buy the largest capacity one you can afford.

If it's a laptop you could get away with a 450VA but if you're powering a tower and monitors I wouldn't go below 850VA.

Battery backups are surge protectors too but will still power your if theres a power blip or outage. I have them on all electronics since most of the power failures from devices is caused by a power blip rather than a full fledge outage.

Heres the one I've put on all of my computers and network/switch/routers/security cameras.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

It's a decent deal right now at $99, but price history suggests you can get it for as low as $75 if you set some alerts on camelcamelcamel.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:05:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had one of these for a couple years and haven't had any problems.

Our town has power surges quite often.

CyberPower
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:17:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Look for one with replaceable battery's.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:18:46 PM EDT
[#4]
It's more pricy than a standalone unit, but we went for a whole home surge protector after we had a surge that knocked out several electronics.  I don't recall what it cost, but I want to say around $500 installed.  Might not be right for your situation, but something to consider
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 1:03:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's more pricy than a standalone unit, but we went for a whole home surge protector after we had a surge that knocked out several electronics.  I don't recall what it cost, but I want to say around $500 installed.  Might not be right for your situation, but something to consider
View Quote

+1 on the whole house surge protector.  I use this on one house on the outside main panel https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PCUASS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and this on another house's inside panel https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B013WINMK6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.  It will depend on your main outside service panel as to which one will work.  

However, even with the whole house protection, since I believe in redundancy systems, I use battery backups with surge protection devices for computer equipment (since I want to keep running long enough to properly save my work and shut down) and surge protectors for other electronics like TVs, etc.  When it comes to surge protection, the higher the joules, the better.  Typically, the joules are lower with the combined battery backup with surge protection devices.  These work well https://www.costco.com/cyberpower-2-pack-surge-protector-with-8-outlets-%2526-2-usb-charging-ports.product.100430138.html (2,700 joules of surge protection).

EDIT:  These work well too https://www.costco.com/cyberpower-wall-tap-swivel-surge-with-6-outlets-%2526-2-usb-charging-ports%2C-4-pack%2C-white.product.100697895.html, however, their joules rating is only 1,200 joules of surge protection whereas the ones in the above link have 2,700 joules of surge protection.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 7:14:04 AM EDT
[#6]
needs UPS  get american power conversion
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 7:30:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I've had much better luck with cheap CyberPower than cheap APC.  The more expensive APC rack units are GTG.
Orion UPS is another good cheap brand.  Eaton if you want to pay for quality.

You really want AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulation) in any UPS you buy.  That usually costs a bit more.
Surge suppressors are of limited value for computers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top