Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/24/2019 9:11:50 AM EDT
I know exactly zero about music.  She wants a guitar for Christmas.  I assume a acoustic (non electric one).  Budget is probably a few hundred bucks give or take.  She isn't going pro, but it's also a gift so a walmart guitar doesn't really leave a nice impression either....

Any help.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 9:35:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Shop in music stores, buy in pawn shops.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 9:50:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Misread the part about getting an acoustic but some of this still applies...

Went through this with my then 16 year old daughter, who has completely different taste in music from the other players in the family.  She also reacts similarly to my wife when things are 'splained to her.  I took her on multiple trips to GC, first two were just to look around and gauge her interest in aesthetics because like us if it doesn't stir the soul when you look at it, you won't play it.   I got lucky and she laser beamed the Ibanez Artcore AS53 which is so good so many genres of music, is a quality instrument, can be played easily without the complications of an amp, and is reasonably priced.  I was able to find one in mint condition locally for half of new but for the wife you better go new. Daughter played the guitar for 6 months without an amp while I gauged what she could handle.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 9:57:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 9:57:47 AM EDT
[#4]
make sure its an acoustic she wants. If not, Squier Classic Vibes are great for the money.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 10:46:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Look at Simon and Patrick guitars. Made in Canada.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Can she already play?  I bought my kid (new to guitar, but not music) an Oscar Schmidt OG2B, as a starter guitar; good sound, nice action, not that expensive (~$150)
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 1:53:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Thing is if you buy a new $500 guitar - it is worth about $250 once you walk out the door with it.

If you buy a used $500 guitar (and have someone make sure it is a proper brand/model etc and in good condition) it is worth $500 next year too.

Since over 90% of people who start guitar quit in the first year this is good to know.

I don't know what budget you are thinking of or what style of music she plays (or wants to learn) so specifics are hard to suggest.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 2:19:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Take her to a guitar store and let her pick which one. If it doesn't fit her hands, she'll hate it and won't play.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 6:44:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Yamaha acoustics continue to impress me every time I pick one up.  The FS720 is a small bodied acoustic that really sounds good and plays very nicely.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yamaha acoustics continue to impress me every time I pick one up.  The FS720 is a small bodied acoustic that really sounds good and plays very nicely.
View Quote
True. I have a 71 Gibson J45 but I pick up my Yamaha F330 all the time to play.

I'm doubting some of y'all have experience with women lol. Op needs to get her a new guitar. Women don't appreciate classic and vintage when it comes to guitars and cars. It's just somebody else's used crap to them. Obviously there are some exceptions.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 8:20:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
True. I have a 71 Gibson J45 but I pick up my Yamaha F330 all the time to play.

I'm doubting some of y'all have experience with women lol. Op needs to get her a new guitar. Women don't appreciate classic and vintage when it comes to guitars and cars. It's just somebody else's used crap to them. Obviously there are some exceptions.
View Quote
I hear ya.  I'm now of those that suggested a better quality can be had used for the same money.  And, my only experience with women is 34 years of marriage.  But yeah it might not work.

Since guitars don't LOOK old if cared for it might work if she is brought to the store and given a cost limit and have her decide new or used.  Of course they need either a good guitar shop looking out for them or someone who plays needs to accompany them to make sure they don't end up with a bad decision.
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 12:29:53 AM EDT
[#12]
The most important question is, what kind of music does she like? That will govern what kind of guitar you get her.
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 12:35:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I suggest the Yamaha APX series acoustic guitars. It has a built in tuner and electronics to hook up to an amp. It's a slim body, so it fits tight to your body and has a cutaway to play the strings lower down the neck easier.

It's a fantastic guitar for the money. I've got multiple guitars I paid over $1k for an I play this cheap acoustic guitar 95% of the time.

Amazon Product
  • Thin-line cutaway Body design for exceptional playability
  • 25" Scale Length and narrower string spacing for Enhanced comfort
  • New scalloped bracing pattern for increased bass response

Link Posted: 11/25/2019 12:37:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I played a Baby Taylor recently.  I was impressed by the punch from that little guitar.
View Quote
I'd probably start here. I love my Taylor. But as others have suggested, take her to the store and find something that fits her. If it's going to be a surprise, make up a gift certificate so you have something to give her and then take her to the store after the fact.
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 8:17:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Guitars are like guns - really hard to buy the right one for someone else.

The nice thing is if you go to your local music store, you can try out anything. I'd recommend you take her and speak with teh staff. Yea, the Xmas morning surprise won't be there but at least it will be something she'll keep. Having a good and fun guitar is half the reason to go pick it up and practice.
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I suggest the Yamaha APX series acoustic guitars. It has a built in tuner and electronics to hook up to an amp. It's a slim body, so it fits tight to your body and has a cutaway to play the strings lower down the neck easier.

It's a fantastic guitar for the money. I've got multiple guitars I paid over $1k for an I play this cheap acoustic guitar 95% of the time.

www.amazon.com/dp/B078WYJ3HR
View Quote
I have some amazing guitars.  Ryan, McPherson, H&D, Collings, Santa Cruz.  And hell yeah they are better than any Yamaha I've ever played.

But, there is nothing wrong with Yamaha.  I have an old Yamaha dread and action is perfect.  Intonation is perfect.  Sounds great.  As good as a Ryan?  Well no but the Ryan costs over $10K.  I damn well better get something for that money.  LOL

My only guitar now in my home away from home in Thailand is a Yamaha.  So I second that brand as a potential.
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 11:48:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I have some amazing guitars.  Ryan, McPherson, H&D, Collings, Santa Cruz.  And hell yeah they are better than any Yamaha I've ever played.

But, there is nothing wrong with Yamaha.  I have an old Yamaha dread and action is perfect.  Intonation is perfect.  Sounds great.  As good as a Ryan?  Well no but the Ryan costs over $10K.  I damn well better get something for that money.  LOL

My only guitar now in my home away from home in Thailand is a Yamaha.  So I second that brand as a potential.
View Quote
I keep all of my expensive guitars stored away for the most part until I want to play them or play live somewhere.

This little guy stays in my office so I can pick on it throughout the day. I  absolutely love it. I think it's the best budget acoustic money can buy.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 12:15:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Ok, since most have assumed that you want an acoustic, here's some electric options.

For an amp, it's hard to go wrong with a Boss Katana 50 combo. I've tried the smaller Katanas, but they don't sound right to my ears. But the 50 and 100 sound great, and they're cheap. You can probably find a used one too, since they came out with a new version that has a couple new features, but the models are the same, so, meh, get a used one.

For guitars, the Squier Vintage Vibe line mentioned above is good for the money, but you can also find a good used Mexican Fender pretty reasonably too. I would go ahead and look for a Mexican Fender Stratocaster with a HSS configuration. That's where you have a humbucker (two coil pickup) in the bridge, and single coils in the middle & neck positions. That's going to be the most versatile. Here's an example of an HSS setup.

Next, get a fresh set of strings or two (it's good to have an extra set on hand). Since she's starting out, I would get her a set of 9s, just ask for them at the store, they'll know what you mean, I recommend D'Addario. Some lemon or lindseed oil (you need to oil the fretboard occasionally), a peg winder, and a clip on tuner. Then go to YouTube and look up some how to vids on guitar maintenance and setup. Phillip McKnight has a really good channel for learning how to do setups and whatnot. He does get into some more technical stuff like fret leveling, but stick to the basics for now, though. Stuff like how to hang the strings, how to set the intonation, setup the bridge height, ect.

Then, for lessons, I've been hearing alot of good stuff about Fender Play. So I would probably get her a subscription for it.

Oh yeah, and don't forget picks and a cable. Don't get too cheap on the cables. The cheap ones are crap. Middle of the road is plenty good. And for picks, I'd just get a Dunlop Tortex variety pack. They're an industry standard and they come in different thicknesses which changes the feel, so she'll have to experiment with them to figure out what she likes.
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 1:47:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't overlook the Yamaha classical guitars. I have a NTX700C, and my wife has pretty much claimed it. She loves that guitar (I do too).

Easy to play, built in tuner, built in pickup etc. And it really sounds fantastic.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 12:08:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Take her to the music store and let her choose. This is the only way she will be happy and let her learn. I know what radius neck I like and frets only after years of feel. She needs to feel it to like it... If it is comfortable it is fun to play. Who gives a crap about brand or cost til you know what is right,
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 12:28:01 AM EDT
[#21]
just like buying gun.  Take her to a store, let her check them out herself.  Buy the one she likes
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 12:31:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I know exactly zero about music.  She wants a guitar for Christmas.  I assume a acoustic (non electric one).  Budget is probably a few hundred bucks give or take.  She isn't going pro, but it's also a gift so a walmart guitar doesn't really leave a nice impression either....

Any help.
View Quote
Find your local music store. Go in....talk to someone...tell them what you are looking for, they will help you.

Done.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 9:39:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Has OP gave any more info?

This is my 2 pennies.

Take your wife to a shop. Let her finger bang any style she wants.
You want her to be comfortable holding it. Even if she cant play right now let her feel it. She has to like how it feels.
How does it sound?
If you dont play and she doesnt know, ask a person at the shop.
Explain what your looking for and have them play for your wife.
My buddy helped me when i was just starting. I'd try my hand, then let him jam out. It gave me an idea of what it sounded like over all. Not just behind it.
Take notes on what your wife liked.( brands,models, colors  etc).
Then buy it later for her new or " like new".
Get a good case, a good set up, a tuner, a capo, assorted picks( thin ones for newb strummers)  and maybe a lesson or 2 if she doesnt want to self learn.

There is a shit ton of great playing guitars in the 2-500$ range.

Eta:
My 2 favorite sub 500 guitars i play are :
Takamine gn20-ns
And a
Yamaha Cfs1m- its a parlor that they list as a mini folk.

The tak cost me 140 used. New it would cost 299 or 399 iirc..been a bit.
The Yamaha 499$ but came with a very nice bag and has a piezo pick up.

I like the body styles on these two vs my dreadnought sized guitars.
But its the neck profile i like more. Body size and shape matters less imho.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 10:28:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Pawn shop
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 10:32:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Pawn shop
View Quote
Depends....ones i looked at here had beat to shit rigs at msrp prices.
Used stuff at guitar stores can be had on the cheap as well.
My 90s washburn cost 149$ otd.at a local store...looked like it was never played .
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 10:43:06 AM EDT
[#26]
I've been keeping up with the suggestions....

I got some info this morning.  Acoustic for sure.  So sounds like a Yamaha model would be good according to all the reply's.

used won't work, half quality new would be better received.

any online stores have Black Friday stuff going on.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 12:12:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sweetwater

I'm sure Musicians Friend and countless others are as well. This would include Guitar Center and Sam Ash among many more.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 9:17:06 AM EDT
[#28]
So I bought the Yamaha APX600 in White.  Hopefully it will work well at its price point.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#29]
I sold a yamaha acoustic recently for $225
Yamaha makes a pretty good entry level guitar
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:09:20 PM EDT
[#30]
How does she like the new guitar?
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 4:20:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

www.amazon.com/dp/B078WYJ3HR
View Quote
This is exactly the guitar I am using for my lessons...having a great time.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 3:12:59 PM EDT
[#32]
From a former music store employee and gigging musician:

Acoustic guitars have to fit the hands and the body of the person playing, as well as be acceptable form a looks/bling angle.

Depending upon budget constraint, if possible get a solid, verses a laminated top.  A laminated top is more affordable, and usually brighter in voice.  However it will not improve with age, as a solid top will do, unless it splits, which you can largely prevent.

Regardless of the price level of the acoustic guitar - DO:

Get a hard shell case - not the "cardboard" case.  The hard shell case costs 3 times as much, but offers 10 times more protection, and works better with:
Get a humidifier - this is a plastic container with a special clay in it you soak in water, and keep in the spare string compartment of the hard shell case. This keeps the humidity level inside the case that you shouldn't have major structural issues, like the soundboard splitting.  Understand that you eed to re-soak it every month or so, depending upon local climate.
Get a tuner - cheap electronic ones are less than $20 - unless one is built into the guitar.
Get one with a pickup and an onboard pre-amp - IF she intends to play in public or through an amp.
Keep it in the case when you aren't playing it, or on a stand.
Get a stand.
Get a strap, spare strings, picks.

Feel free to ask me any questions.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 3:59:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Ok, since most have assumed that you want an acoustic, here's some electric options.

For an amp, it's hard to go wrong with a Boss Katana 50 combo. I've tried the smaller Katanas, but they don't sound right to my ears. But the 50 and 100 sound great, and they're cheap. You can probably find a used one too, since they came out with a new version that has a couple new features, but the models are the same, so, meh, get a used one.

For guitars, the Squier Vintage Vibe line mentioned above is good for the money, but you can also find a good used Mexican Fender pretty reasonably too. I would go ahead and look for a Mexican Fender Stratocaster with a HSS configuration. That's where you have a humbucker (two coil pickup) in the bridge, and single coils in the middle & neck positions. That's going to be the most versatile. Here's an example of an HSS setup.

https://i.imgur.com/0PZWDmS.jpg

Next, get a fresh set of strings or two (it's good to have an extra set on hand). Since she's starting out, I would get her a set of 9s, just ask for them at the store, they'll know what you mean, I recommend D'Addario. Some lemon or lindseed oil (you need to oil the fretboard occasionally), a peg winder, and a clip on tuner. Then go to YouTube and look up some how to vids on guitar maintenance and setup. Phillip McKnight has a really good channel for learning how to do setups and whatnot. He does get into some more technical stuff like fret leveling, but stick to the basics for now, though. Stuff like how to hang the strings, how to set the intonation, setup the bridge height, ect.

Then, for lessons, I've been hearing alot of good stuff about Fender Play. So I would probably get her a subscription for it.

Oh yeah, and don't forget picks and a cable. Don't get too cheap on the cables. The cheap ones are crap. Middle of the road is plenty good. And for picks, I'd just get a Dunlop Tortex variety pack. They're an industry standard and they come in different thicknesses which changes the feel, so she'll have to experiment with them to figure out what she likes.
View Quote
I just bought a 2011 MIM HSS strat in sunburst but with a rosewood fretboard for $400.  I love the HSS setup.

You can find them cheaper online but they all have damage somewhere it seems...this one is mint.  The rear panel still has the protective plastic on it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 6:18:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Acoustic guitars have to fit the hands and the body of the person playing, as well as be acceptable form a looks/bling angle.

Depending upon budget constraint, if possible get a solid, verses a laminated top.  A laminated top is more affordable, and usually brighter in voice.  However it will not improve with age, as a solid top will do, unless it splits, which you can largely prevent.

Get a hard shell case - not the "cardboard" case.  The hard shell case costs 3 times as much, but offers 10 times more protection, and works better with:
Get a humidifier - this is a plastic container with a special clay in it you soak in water, and keep in the spare string compartment of the hard shell case. This keeps the humidity level inside the case that you shouldn't have major structural issues, like the soundboard splitting.  Understand that you eed to re-soak it every month or so, depending upon local climate.
Get a tuner - cheap electronic ones are less than $20 - unless one is built into the guitar.
Get one with a pickup and an onboard pre-amp - IF she intends to play in public or through an amp.
Get a stand.

View Quote
Here in SE TX you can skip the humidifier part. One of the only nice things about the weather here.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 9:44:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Get a stand.

View Quote
Yeah.  Without the accessories problems come.  I hate when people overlook a tuner.  Sure, there is a way to tune it by ear but realistically most of us can not get it anywhere near as clean as a $20 tuner.

And cases.  Few years back I bought what is probably my last guitar for a hefty sum.  Got a Hoffee case for it.  And that case, with the Demargio humidification system, is the best.  I am confident it is so sealed I could leave it for a year and it would still have adequate humidification.

I know most won't get a Hoffee case due to expense but the point is well taken.  Guitars need protection.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 5:27:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Pawn shop
View Quote
If you don't know what you are doing, or don't take someone with you who does, that is a great way to blow money on an unplayable piece of crap.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 5:28:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Sweetwater

I'm sure Musicians Friend and countless others are as well. This would include Guitar Center and Sam Ash among many more.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sweetwater

Sweetwater is good, but an acoustic is something you really need to to hold and play, and hear, before you buy.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 5:31:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Yeah.  Without the accessories problems come.  I hate when people overlook a tuner.  Sure, there is a way to tune it by ear but realistically most of us can not get it anywhere near as clean as a $20 tuner.

And cases.  Few years back I bought what is probably my last guitar for a hefty sum.  Got a Hoffee case for it.  And that case, with the Demargio humidification system, is the best.  I am confident it is so sealed I could leave it for a year and it would still have adequate humidification.

I know most won't get a Hoffee case due to expense but the point is well taken.  Guitars need protection.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get a stand.

Thanks for the backup.  Nothing is as big a bummer as leaving your guitar out and it gets damaged.   In should be in the case, on the stand or in your hands.  Also all cables should be completely unplugged and free form the guitar - unless you are actually playing.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 7:44:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Thanks for the backup.  Nothing is as big a bummer as leaving your guitar out and it gets damaged.   In should be in the case, on the stand or in your hands.  Also all cables should be completely unplugged and free form the guitar - unless you are actually playing.
View Quote
And guitar straps.  If you aren't playing take them off.  They can damage the finish in some cases.  I had a PRS leather strap on a PRS guitar with a nitro finish and in less than a week hanging on a hook (in humidified room) it ate through the finish.  Cool part was PRS took it back and completely refinished the guitar and sent it back with a second backplate signed by Paul Reed Smith.  Betting most companies selling less expensive equipment won't do that.

So I learned my lesson.  If they are hanging it's only when the room is humidified.  And no straps or cables are connected unless I put it down between songs.  When I'm done playing nothing is attached and if I take a hiatus and don't humidify the room they go back into cases with humidification systems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top