Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2021 3:00:20 PM EDT
Simple, straightforward question. No hidden agenda.

What are the benefits to FM. Not monetary if there is any but "other" benefits.

I try to take promises/obligations fairly seriously and would not want to put myself in a position to break any.
What kind of obligations would I be agreeing to?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:35:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:52:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I try to take promises/obligations fairly seriously and would not want to put myself in a position to break any.

Thanks
View Quote

OK, it may sound clich, but Freemasonry is about making good men better men. Yep, that's ambiguous, so just what is it?
  • It's a fraternity. Yep, it's men only in most cases. Historically, many barriers are broken down when it's just men discussing and interacting with other men.
  • It's a social club. We may have meals together, we may drink together, we may pray together, we may even do many things outside the lodge together.
  • It's an esoteric study group. Ok, not many get into this, but whatever your interest, there's generally SOMEONE who shares it.
  • It's a group of friends who will always have your back. My Masonic Brothers can call any time of the day or night, and I will be there to help them...and vice versa.
  • It's like-minded men, each committing himself to something larger than himself to better himself and others.
  • If you travel to another city, state, or country and meet another Mason, you can be assured that you will have an instant friend.
Do ALL Freemasons live up to ALL of those? Hell, no! Every organization has its bad apples. But you will find so many men who possess and strive for high integrity.

What will you have to agree to? Not a whole lot, but what you agree to is important.
  • You have to believe in God (a "higher being") Sorry, no Atheists are allowed.
  • You have to be a man of your word.
  • You have to agree to the tenants of Freemasonry.
OK, now here's the important part:  If you believe ANY of these because you are a Mason, DO NOT JOIN:
  • You think you will make more money.
  • You think you can make more and better business deals.
  • You think you can you will be get a pass if you break the law.
  • You think you will gain some special or magical powers.
  • You think you will learn all the secrets of Area 51. (Hint, Area 51 is a ruse. Area 52 is where all the fun stuff happens! But I've said too much. )
Freemasonry does not really "give you benefits" other than what you can personally do and improve yourself internally. What you get out of it is a reflection of what you put into it.

Probably the best place to start is to contact a lodge local to you and talk to the members. And don't be afraid to ask questions! Most of us love to talk about Freemasonry! And if you need help finding a local lodge, google "grand lodge" and your state name, and contact the Grand Lodge site for your state. They will point you in the right direction.

Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:54:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Pick up Chris Hodapp's Freemasons for Dummies and read chapters 1, 2, and 4.
View Quote
Seriously, do this! This is a wonderful book packed with information suitable for non-Masons and long-time Masons alike.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:18:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:45:31 PM EDT
[#5]
In a nutshell Freemasons obligate themselves to six things. To help, aid and assist their fellow man. And to never cheat, wrong or defraud them.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 5:19:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Trolling is not appropriate in this forum ~ medicmandan
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 5:49:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I got that part covered for Utah.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/8/2021 6:53:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 1:39:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Oh, good, someone found an Albert Pike quote.
View Quote

Not trolling, I'm asking legitimately. Surely you've read your own books?

Plus, i cant think of a better place to ask than right here.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 1:40:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 7:37:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not trolling, I'm asking legitimately. Surely you've read your own books?

Plus, i cant think of a better place to ask than right here.
View Quote

Ask in a matter that doesn’t get you medicmanned, and I’ll try my best to answer.

I’m currently reading a 60’s edition morals and dogma and would be happy to go to specific pages and phrases for you to show what’s actually in print as opposed to internet nonsense.

@ me if you’d like me to look something up.

Link Posted: 5/9/2021 8:41:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
In a nutshell Freemasons obligate themselves to six things. To help, aid and assist their fellow man. And to never cheat, wrong or defraud them.
View Quote

Well those I've already vowed to do. Failed at times and then vowed to try to do better next time.

Don't want any financial gains from freemasonry, I'm going back into trucking if I can. It's unlikely that joining would benefit me in that regard. Meetings a group of good people on the other hand would benefit me greatly.  A friend is a Mason. That's what got me thinking about it. I don't want to ask him to much right now till I've decided if it's for me or not.

If I manage to get back into trucking I'd have limited  home time. Would that be a problem?

I'm in Tooele so making it to SLC can be challenging at times. Gas back and forth is a killer.

My personal faith is in line with The Church of Jesus Christ and Latter Day Saints. I respect others beliefs but find that's not always reciprocated.
Would I be welcome in freemasonry or an outsider?

Thanks for all the helpful responses.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 9:12:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 9:13:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 9:15:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 10:59:33 PM EDT
[#16]
This coming Friday is the second Friday of the month.
Should I ask my friend if I may attend?
What should I expect if I am able to go?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 11:00:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 11:12:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I believe so. His name is Andy he seems pretty involved with FM and he lives here in Tooele too.
To be fair he is more of an acquaintance at this point. As I get to know him better I wouldn't mind calling him a friend. He's a cool guy.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 1:13:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

Your interest in the Fraternity is welcome and appreciated. Current growth rates in many jurisdictions are the lowest ever. Still, asking current members "why" isn't really the proper approach. As a general rule, the Fraternity does not recruit. I'm sure you've seen the phrase 2B1ASK1. Use your available research tools and see what the Fraternity does, both in the lives of its members and in the communities where the Lodges are. Then you decide if that's something that you would like to be a part of. If so, find a Brother from the Lodge you'd like to petition to join and just tell him that you'd like to learn more. No "whys" because the preparation begins within, not without. That being said, I'm glad you're interested. I have no doubt that if you are unbiased and open minded you will find that there are an infinite number of personal benefits one can achieve from membership in the Fraternity.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 1:19:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Well those I've already vowed to do. Failed at times and then vowed to try to do better next time.

Don't want any financial gains from freemasonry, I'm going back into trucking if I can. It's unlikely that joining would benefit me in that regard. Meetings a group of good people on the other hand would benefit me greatly.  A friend is a Mason. That's what got me thinking about it. I don't want to ask him to much right now till I've decided if it's for me or not.

If I manage to get back into trucking I'd have limited  home time. Would that be a problem?

I'm in Tooele so making it to SLC can be challenging at times. Gas back and forth is a killer.

My personal faith is in line with The Church of Jesus Christ and Latter Day Saints. I respect others beliefs but find that's not always reciprocated.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Personal faith is a wonderful thing, but the Fraternity is NOT a religious organization. If all around you were to suddenly collapse into personal ruin, you do have Someone in whom you can place your faith. That is all that Freemasony requires is that we acknowledge that there is a power in the universe greater than our own so, no. Your personal faith will not conflict in any way with the Fraternity.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:12:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Seriously, do this! This is a wonderful book packed with information suitable for non-Masons and long-time Masons alike.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pick up Chris Hodapp's Freemasons for Dummies and read chapters 1, 2, and 4.

For a round numbered post, I'd like to say thank you @medicmandan, I did just that.  After being curious for awhile, and picking that up yesterday and reading parts, I'm going to contact my local lodge and see for myself.  Truly thanks to you, and always, ARF is wonderful is many ways.  The different things I've learned from this place in the last 13 years is kind of amazing.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:22:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

For a round numbered post, I'd like to say thank you @medicmandan, I did just that.  After being curious for awhile, and picking that up yesterday and reading parts, I'm going to contact my local lodge and see for myself.  Truly thanks to you, and always, ARF is wonderful is many ways.  The different things I've learned from this place in the last 13 years is kind of amazing.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:23:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top