Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/21/2019 1:06:53 PM EDT
Why is the focus on building a wall.

The real focus should be on changing the existing immigration laws so that anchor babies no longer work for citizenship (and other issues).

The wall alone will not work.

I'm not saying a barrier will not be helpful, but I'm thinking the wall is part of a smoke and mirror show that won't address the core issues.

Build the wall, but change the laws as well.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:07:45 PM EDT
[#1]
The wall is 5b. The law change is much more and much harder.

Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:09:29 PM EDT
[#2]
The wall was a campaign promise.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:10:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Edit - deleted
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:11:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:13:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Because Deomcrats have proven over and over and over that they will simply ignore law, knowing that they will not be held accountable.

Democrats = Sanctuary cites

Democrats = Obstructing immigration officers

Democrats = Defunding border protections

A physical barrier is simply the next step in attempting to stop people from entering the United States of America illegally.  Should the wall come to fruition, the Democrats will actively seek ways to disable, circumvent, or simply tear it down.  We will need to raise the bar again to counter whatever measures Democrats put in place to facilitate illegal immigration.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Both sides have been *talking* about this for decades.

Build the fucking wall.  Then we can talk some more.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:16:02 PM EDT
[#7]
edit - deleted
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:16:50 PM EDT
[#8]
We need a wall so the deported don't just turn around and come back in.

Obviously, a wall really just slows humans down, but that is the assist our guys need to catch.

It's like plugging the holes in a boat, THEN pumping it out.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:18:15 PM EDT
[#9]
The wall is a barrier. Barriers are a critical part (remember, I said part) of a security solution. I have yet to hear anyone say that a wall alone is the solution.

I have heard many leftists CLAIMING that Trump and his supporters believe this.

OP, perhaps you can help me understand; Do you think Trump believes that we can build a wall, then disband the border patrol altogether?
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:20:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Should be part of the solution. Wouldnt be as important if we stopped catch and release and imposed huge fines on employers. Also require proof of citizenship, visa, immigration status to get drivers license or welfare.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:21:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The real focus should be on changing the existing immigration laws so that anchor babies no longer work for citizenship (and other issues).

I'm not saying a barrier will not be helpful, but I'm thinking the wall is part of a smoke and mirror show that won't address the core issues.

View Quote
The solution is changing incentives. Properly done we can change the incentives such that illegals self deport and others don't come here.

The wall has become the focus because it is a simple part of the solution. And it isn't one of the more invasive efforts, like raiding workplaces and the like, or otherwise rounding up and deporting people. It is harder for the left to argue against the law, then say, against changing birthplace citizenship.

If we can't get a relatively cheap and simple wall, how are we going to get more invasive measures of deportation? The more invasive measures would be more effective, but the left is going to fight those even moreso.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:22:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. And anyone who believes it's only going to cost 5 billion, well, I have some beachfront property in Afghanistan I'd like sell you.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:22:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Because how the fuck can you keep people out of your house without any walls or doors?

It’s just a small part of a bigger plan.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes, both wall and immigration law changes.

Birth right citizenship would be a first priority, but leftists will contend that it is a Constitutional right.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:23:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just fucking make it legal for any citizen to take out any illegal alien without repercussion.

No documentation, you don’t exist, IMO.
View Quote
So I’m gonna have to wear a T-shirt with my birth certificate so a whack job doesn’t kill me?   Sounds like a supportable plan, I wonder if it could have any unforeseen consequences
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:23:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just fucking make it legal for any citizen to take out any illegal alien without repercussion.

No documentation, you don’t exist, IMO.
View Quote
So they walk around armed and ready to kill someone at any moment because they're constantly being hunted. Never mind the wrongful killings that would pile up.

Sure that'll work...
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:24:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:24:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Fine. I'm good with topping it with claymore and flame throwers.

There. Now you have something more than just a wall.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:26:38 PM EDT
[#19]
We need all of it fixed.

Decades ago.

Why the wall? We have to start somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:26:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:28:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

We could tattoo citizens with an identification number on their forearm and have them wear armbands to make them easy to identify.

The average citizen can't manage to balance their checkbook and manage their credit successfully and you want them to make life-and-death decisions on someone's immigration status?
View Quote
Lol.  True.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:29:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Why is everyone pretending 5 billion is going to do anything? It's an insult.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:31:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This. And anyone who believes it's only going to cost 5 billion, well, I have some beachfront property in Afghanistan I'd like sell you.
View Quote
Whatever the one time cost it'll be cheaper than the 100 billion+ we spend annually to support the invaders.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:32:07 PM EDT
[#24]
A wall last longer than the laws that will rotate around on each administration.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:32:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Immigration laws are not the issue

Incentivizing people with handouts is the issue

We had mass immigration at the beginning of the 20th century, but no freebie shit so for the people who couldn't make it work out went home.

The wall is because no one wants to tell everyone the free shit scam is over, because they're violently addicted to it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:32:25 PM EDT
[#26]
No single thing is going to fix the problem. Yes, anchor babies are a problem, but at this point it's all but impossible to get that changed. Hell, you can see just how hard it is to get a measly 5B for a wall. In my mind it's going to have to be done in this order, if it's done at all.

1. Build the wall, both physically and electronically. This will significantly slow the endless migration.
2. Fix the labor laws which will cause many to self deport.
3. End sanctuary cities. This will push even more back across the border.
4. Require proof of citizenship to vote.

Then, once the demographics have changed to a significant degree, maybe birthright citizenship can be changed.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:32:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Trump’s definition of this wall has changed how many times now?  By the time we get anything, it will be “no trespassing” signs.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:33:10 PM EDT
[#28]
People support a wall to stop illegal immigration for the same reason they support assault weapons bans to stop mass shootings: it's simple, feels good, pisses off their cultural opponents, and makes sense if you don't know jack shit about the issue.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:33:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
The 2019 budget request asked for 18billion for "the wall". That is the estimated remaining total cost (we have already funded about 3.2 billion).
Dems stopped that so Trump went for 5.7b (roughly enough to keep construction going until 2020). Cocaine Mitch wouldn't nuclear option it and Chucky refused. This is how we got the shutdown. Now Nancy put herself in a no win situation. If she gives even what we funded last year it's a big political loss so all those employees can get fucked in order for her to save face.

I believe in the end, POTUS will drop it to 2.85b and she'll cave.
The closer we get to FSA armageddon the less she can play her fuck fuck games
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:33:43 PM EDT
[#30]
The law can be ignored, as Obama illustrated. A wall cannot be ignored.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:33:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Once a wall is in place, it's hard to get rid of.  Likewise, changes in entitlement spending can be swiped away with the stroke of a pen and a leftist legislature.  Wall first, eradication of entitlements second.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:34:16 PM EDT
[#32]
The focus is on the wall because, for the last 40 years, the Republicans and Democrats have been making agreements regarding the wall and other immigration reform talking points. That's why there are so many video clips of the Democrats supporting a wall...they acted all agreeable at one point or another, to get their DACA or funding of wet-foot-dryy-foot or whatever they wanted.

It's always the same...the Democrats agree to the Republicans wishes for a wall, and the Republicans agree to whatever the Democrats want, and everybody walks away feeling like they got what they want.  BUT, when it comes time to fund or actually build the wall, the Democrats never live up to their end of the deal (and the Republicans can't find the spine to push the issue) so nothing gets done.

This time we/Trump are saying "Fuck that...we aren't giving you what you want only to have our wall fall through on the back end again." They've screwed us over time and again on the wall.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:35:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
People support a wall to stop illegal immigration for the same reason they support assault weapons bans to stop mass shootings: it's simple, feels good, pisses off their cultural opponents, and makes sense if you don't know jack shit about the issue.
View Quote
Not true.  I can't take a tour of an assault weapons ban during Christmas.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:38:29 PM EDT
[#34]
The wall is a monument.  People like monuments and symbolism.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:38:33 PM EDT
[#35]
I’ve always said that changing incentives, combined with a physical barrier, electronic monitoring, and increased manpower will go a LONG way to stop illegal immigration.

Make it a felony to hire illegals, and hold CEO/board members/hiring managers legally accountable. Jail time, fines, and such. Enforce these laws with zero tolerance!!

Stopping any type of welfare, medical, and social program benefits  to illegals and their children.

Ending ‘anchor babies’. This is a shit practice, I don’t even know why we went down that road in the first place. No civilized country in their right mind allows this.

Ending ‘catch and release’. You want to release them, drop their asses off at their country of origin.

End foreign aid payments to countries that will not support US efforts to enforce our own border and immigration law.

Add the above to physical barriers, increased immigration enforcement manpower. Electronic means of monitoring and detection of those crossing at points where a physical barrier is not practical.

This will not completely STOP those who want to enter this country illegally, but it WILL severely reduce the number of people who try.

I’m all for LEGAL immigration. Come here the right way, follow our laws, have something meaningful to offer our society, and asymilate into our culture. I’m all for it.

Don’t hop a fence, or cross a river and expect the rest of our society to support you and your family.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:44:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Because some large campaign donor is going to get a nice fat payday if its ever approved.

We could just turn off the social programs free healthcare and everything else we provide for them and save billions and many would leave but why do that when we can have another large government project boondoggle.

Military is already paid and should be sent to border to secure it then turn off the free stuff they get and you would nearly fix the problem and save money.

The joke is we are going to spend even more to build a wall and still keep literally paying people with gov benefits, enticing them climb over it.

I am fine with a wall if we turn off the Free Stuff Army perks but what a joke to spend even more while not even doing anything to get rid of the 10 Mil+? we already have here.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:47:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Even if you could get voters, the public, the business sector, the black [labor] market, the illicit drug market, congress, the president, and the SCOTUS all on the same page and unified to change existing laws and behaviors which incentive and enable illegal immigration, illegal immigrants would still come to America in droves because the chance at a better life here is still better than what most of them face daily in their home countries.

And since you will never, let me repeat that so it sinks in NEVER, get enough of the above groups on the same page to make happen what you are proposing then the only viable solution to stopping the invasion of illegal immigrants from nations south of us is a physical barrier (wall). And walls work very well. It's why many homes have fences or walls around them, why prisons have walls, why military bases and fortifications have barriers/fences/walls, etc.

A wall may not be 100 percent effective, but if it is 87 percent effective that is one million percent more effective than what we have in place now to stop illegal immigration.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:48:24 PM EDT
[#38]
One thing is for certain. We are not winning this battle by taking the moral high ground.  All it’s doing is making us look weak.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:55:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Fix the 14th Amendment and they won't come.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:57:40 PM EDT
[#40]
I never really understood the wall anyway.

Two words: Maginot Line

You need to make it not worth their while and effort to come here and end the anchor baby inroad.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I never really understood the wall anyway.

Two words: Maginot Line

You need to make it not worth their while and effort to come here and end the anchor baby inroad.
View Quote
Agree but the next Democrat leader we have will just undo it and they’ll be right back.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 2:01:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Building the first tunnel is historically one day younger than building the first wall.

Stable genius, he says.

If the majority of illegals came in on a legal visa and then overstayed the visa, how does the wall drastically solve the illegal problem?

The lack of independent thinking of the base is the problem, not the shit talker cult leader in chief.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 2:02:13 PM EDT
[#43]
You can’t tell a wall to stand down, or look the other way, or catch and release.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 2:04:56 PM EDT
[#44]
E-Verify will never happen as neither side wants it.
Neither side will ever really go after businesses for hiring illegals
The dems see illegals as potential future voters.

Trump knows that Reagan was played for a bitch and he will not fall for the same BS.
Trump knows that there will never be a mass deportation nor is he for it.
Trumps wants to stem the tide with a wall in the hopes that we can get some comprehensive deal done that curbs chain migration. He knows to get some of what he wants he has to give the dems their dream, which is legal status for all illegals.

Anything and everything both sides have proposed fucks America.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 2:06:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
They need to treat it as the invasion that it is.  Live fire against any invaders who cross our border.  Women and children included.  
Until an example is set, this invasion will never stop.
View Quote
You must not value your account.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 2:07:07 PM EDT
[#46]
The current laws are not being followed.

A wall is a barrier that has to be followed.

The more we get being killed trying to climb will be more we don't have to pay for.

Notice most of the women are almost ready to pop out crotch fruit?
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 2:08:34 PM EDT
[#47]
The Wall is a tangible demonstration of DC's relentless treachery.

It crystallizes the true nature of Democrats (who want illegal votes) and the GOPe (who want cheap labor).

Neither party gives a damn about citizens. Ryan didn't. Pelosi doesn't. Career parasite politicians.

I expect they'll try to impeach Trump over the shutdown. In effect, they'll impeach him over the Wall. Their contempt for citizens will be crystal clear.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 2:08:47 PM EDT
[#48]
It doesn't matter. It's too fucking late anyway. The rats are here and they are out breeding everything else. Only a matter of time.

ETA: I bet the Indians said the same thing about europeans.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 2:08:51 PM EDT
[#49]
A wall is relatively cheap and permanent.

Hopefully CNN will broadcast its construction worldwide and moan about how evil and racist Americans are.  Make it look like you are illegaly crossing the Berlin wall in the wrong direction, thats a very powerful and dissuasive image to show someone.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 2:10:59 PM EDT
[#50]
If we don't have our military shooting anyone who tries to go over, or under a wall, it won't work.

A wall alone is a fucking joke.

We might as well run a fucking advertising campaign anywhere south of the border at this point.

I don't personally think there are but a handful of people in DC, that actually are serious about remaining a nation.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top