Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/19/2021 12:49:30 AM EDT
Why are Tacoma's such popular trucks?

Why do they have such insane resale value?

If you took away resale value, what would their redeeming quality be? Does it all come down to reliability? I guess if you want a truck, you have many American choices and few Asian choices, and Asian cars seem to win the reliability game.

I can't figure out how clapped out almost 250k miles on the odometer Tacomas go for well over 10k.

Who pays 10k for any vehicle that has over 250k?
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 12:55:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Resale value isn’t a quality. It’s a byproduct of quality.

My elderly parents drove a Taco for just shy of 300,000 miles and besides regular filter and fluid changes it never had a single repair. My father died and 2 years later my mother traded it in on a RAV4 and she now regrets getting rid of the Taco.

Link Posted: 9/19/2021 1:04:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My elderly parents drove a Taco for just shy of 300,000 miles and besides regular filter and fluid changes it never had a single repair. My father died and 2 years later my mother traded it in on a RAV4 and she now regrets getting rid of the Taco.

View Quote

That makes sense.

Just seems like a lot of money for people to pay on 300k trucks. If you already had it for 300k and keep on driving it that's a different thing, but paying crazy money for it is another
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 1:15:55 AM EDT
[#3]
MY 2010 DCSB 4WD TRD OR just rolled past 300,000 miles a couple weeks ago. I've replaced the U-Joints, the front brakes, the oil every 10,000 miles. And the tires. I'm about to buy my 5th set of tires soon. I fully expect to get to 400,000 miles and don't plan to get rid of it, even when I do buy a new one. Sure they cost alot, but when you don't have to buy a new one every 12 to 15 years it's worth it.

ETA: I did replace the stock suspension about 3 years ago with a Bilstien 5100 and new front coils and an AAL rear springs to get a couple inches of lift.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 1:24:11 AM EDT
[#4]
fanboism.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 1:27:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Because  it’s way better then a Ford! Lol.  Oh the shits gonna fly now. ??
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 1:47:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Because  it’s way better then a Ford! Lol.  Oh the shits gonna fly now. ??
View Quote

Or any American brand rustbox, that is unless you spend another few grand rustproofing it which the manufacturer should anyway.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 1:49:46 AM EDT
[#7]
My 06 4x4 2.7 Tacoma is still going strong.  Only major failure was a failed cat.  It’s not my primary vehicle now, but I wouldn’t be too concerned about taking it on a road trip.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 1:50:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don’t Jeeps have decent resale value?
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 1:50:47 AM EDT
[#9]
A lot of ladies in GD?
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 1:55:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
........................................................... I guess if you want a truck, you have many American choices and few Asian choices, ....................................
View Quote

Pretty sure the Toyota Tacoma is an American truck since it's built in the USA.

Not a Tacoma owner and have no opinion on them other than it bothers me when people think something made in the US is Asian/whatever.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 1:58:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not a Tacoma owner and have no opinion on them other than it bothers me when people think something made in the US is Asian/whatever.
View Quote

My wife was made in the US. She's still Asian.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 2:00:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Some are built in Texas, otras Hecho en Mexico.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 2:07:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure but not because of quality
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 2:09:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Because it's an awesome truck for short people.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 2:20:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Toyota trucks are legendary reliable. My 94 toyota will out live me if i take care of it. And combat any rust that pops up. Actually doing preventative maintenance on the bed right now. Love my truck even if it is gutless
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 2:22:05 AM EDT
[#16]
No american car will ever be as reliable as a Toyota. It simply isn't in an american's best interest to make a car that isn't a money pit.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 2:22:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that the same thing though?

If an American company builds stuff in China, is the product American or Chinese? Is a rifle scope designed and owned by an American company- but made in China- an American or Chinese scope?
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 2:23:19 AM EDT
[#18]
People are not usually completely rational when it comes to the purchase of vehicles.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 2:24:04 AM EDT
[#19]
The same reason girls go back to abusive boyfriends…
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 2:28:15 AM EDT
[#20]
A product known for reliability and longevity, without major cost repairs. For the most part.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 2:32:54 AM EDT
[#21]
I would consider one if it wasn’t so small and cramped inside, the new gen’s seating position is awful at my height, but they’re extremely reliable to the point of you’ll get sick of driving it and want something new before they fall
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 2:39:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Because if you do the math, a vehicle you can reasonably expect to go 250k to 300k miles with zero significant problems is vastly less money per mile than a Ford/Chevy/Dodge/etc that may (or may not) make a 200k without any major issues.  Add in the resale vale, and Tacomas (and 4runners) are some of the least expensive vehicles you will ever own when measured in cost per mile.  

Case in point, my 1999 Tacoma that I bought used for $10,500 in 2008 with 100k miles on it, and drove for another 150,000 miles, and then sold for $8400 in 2017.  I changed the oil, one alternator and put a lift kit and good tires on it.   That was it.  A good 40k of those miles was off-pavement too, so not like it got babied at all.  That's under $0.02 per mile net cost.  Go buy a F/C/D/etc and put 150k miles and 10 years on them, and you will do good to get 25% of what you paid for it.   You will also fix a lot more than just an alternator in that time to boot.  It will come out to about $0.08 to $0.12 per mile, plus repairs.   Ask me how I know all that.

Now let's take my F150, I bought with 88,000 miles on it, and later sold in disgust with over $10k in repair bills (many different repairs, at different times, not just one thing) and 105,000 miles on it.   Nevermind the repair bills, I lost $1400 on the purchase vs sale price.   That by itself is around $0.11 per mile.   Add in the repair bills, that POS cost me almost a buck a mile.   My F350 diesel I owned later faired no better in the final math, nor has any F/C/D/etc I have ever owned.

So yeah, not saying there are no other quality car makers beside Toyota, but for my money, F/C/D/etc can suck it, I will drive Toyotas until the math changes.

Link Posted: 9/19/2021 2:41:33 AM EDT
[#23]
I own a Jeep 2004 Lj and 2012 Tacoma . My Tacoma is at 122000 miles only thing broken on it was the ac compressor and I had to paint the hood and roof . The use shitty paint and the sun in Miami can burn anything.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 2:47:24 AM EDT
[#24]
because it's an "enthusiast" vehicle.

Link Posted: 9/19/2021 2:49:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Incredibly reliable trucks with styling as attractive as your sister.

Which when you suck as a mechanic, are a koolaid sucking fanboi or have the fashion sense of a Midwest housewife. It becomes a great idea owning one.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 3:04:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Reliability and footprint.

A lot of people don't need or want a truck the size of a modern full-size, and of the options a Toyota is sort of a no-brainer.

If there is a consistent weakness in the Japanese midsize trucks of the last 20 years it's that they use a weak-ass suspension compared to the rest-of-world models.   This has carried on through to the current domestic equivalents (Colorado and Ranger).    They can do a whole lot more in terms of payload with proper suspension, even if it won't help towing much.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 3:18:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Some are built in Texas, otras Hecho en Mexico.
View Quote

Tundras are made in Texas. They’re more American than the big 3 trucks.

The Tacomas were/are made in California and Mexico.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 4:22:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know at least three fellows who hoard any old Toyota truck parts they can find to ensure their toys will be running. One freind has three of the 22s in crates. I put 288k on my 88 model. The little 22r was a great little power plant. I ended up just giving that truck to one of my brothers after it finally died.  It still looks amazing considering it spent it's entire life in the elements.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 4:26:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Because it's an awesome truck for short people.
View Quote

I'm 6' with a long torso and my 88 extended cab fit me like a glove. One reason i chose it was because there was still 3" of headroom between my scalp and the headliner.

Wish i still had a restored one just like it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 6:07:02 AM EDT
[#30]
I have a 2014 Tacoma and it has been just great, I plan on keeping it for a long time, it will be around when I am gone.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 6:18:32 AM EDT
[#31]
It’s definitely the drum brakes. It HAS to be the drum brakes..

Link Posted: 9/19/2021 6:29:49 AM EDT
[#32]
The Tacoma is like the Glock 19.  Nothing really fancy in the features, it's not the best looking truck on the road but every time you turn the key it starts, runs and gets you to your destination.  You don't have to fix stuff, you can leave it stock or add a myriad of modifications to it.

I have a 2013 TRD Sport 4x4 that has been flawless.  I expect it to be the last truck I'll need to buy.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 6:59:04 AM EDT
[#33]
The reliability  angle has been proven false against  full size trucks  so that being said and being true.

The reason OP is fans of the trucks size and hype from  owners of the truck.

Fact is the motor , frame , electronics are no more reliable than GMC , Ford , Dodge
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 7:06:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

My '17 Tacoma was made in San Antonio Texas.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 7:07:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Because back in the 80's and 90's was light years ahead of the Ranger/S10 competition.  Toyota also raced the crap out of them and marketed them hard on the west coast.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 7:09:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Owned 2. Great trucks!
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 7:09:22 AM EDT
[#37]
The idea that all people driving full sized trucks because they need to haul the space-shuttle to the job site and then fill the bed with 4 tons of gravel dropped from a helicopter is myth. There's plenty of small-dicked brodozers mixed in among the actual working trucks.

Lots of people like a smaller, reliable, low cost per mile, truck that is handy for odd jobs, camping trips, hauling kayaks, the odd load of mulch, a smaller trailer, loading up paver stones and concrete for that backyard project and the like. Tacoma's fit the bill nicely.

And not all people are cut out to be part of the Ridgeline Master Race anyway. So Tacoma's exist for all the basics.

Link Posted: 9/19/2021 7:17:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The idea that all people driving full sized trucks because they need to haul the space-shuttle to the job site and then fill the bed with 4 tons of gravel dropped from a helicopter is myth. There's plenty of small-dicked brodozers mixed in among the actual working trucks.

Lots of people like a smaller, reliable, low cost per mile, truck that is handy for odd jobs, camping trips, hauling kayaks, the odd load of mulch, a smaller trailer, loading up paver stones and concrete for that backyard project and the like. Tacoma's fit the bill nicely.

And not all people are cut out to be part of the Ridgeline Master Race anyway. So Tacoma's exist for all the basics.

View Quote

Agree when you look at the age range of most buyers . Many lead an active  life style and most are first time truck buyers . It's rare to see some one that has owned
several full size trucks over the years decide all of a sudden to buy a small truck like a Tacoma . They are tiny inside
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 7:21:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Beta males?
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 7:26:29 AM EDT
[#40]
They're like sitting in a ridiculously lifted car.
I don't get it.

But then, I'm looking to replace a 3/4 ton SUV.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 7:28:12 AM EDT
[#41]
In my experience you can expect usually at least 300k trouble free miles from one outside of maintenance. There’s not another manufacturer that I expect 1/3rd of that.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 7:32:21 AM EDT
[#42]
I have an F-150 because small trucks kinda suck, the power, gas mileage and room for your gear all suck balls.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 7:37:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

3rd Gen Tacomas are made in Texas and Mexico, but will be 100% Mexican made by next year.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 7:47:04 AM EDT
[#44]
I had two
A 2007 and 2011

I drive a tundra now and love it  but I haul kayaks and bicycles and refrigerator, washer and dryer etc.

I dont need to tow 10,000 pounds and I know the truck will run when I start it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 7:48:55 AM EDT
[#45]
It's a lifestyle/image thing, like Jeeps. If you want a Jeep, there's nothing else that you can really consider a substitute (other than the Bronco very recently), so you're getting a Jeep. Same thing with the Tacoma. Because of that, they don't discount them much at all, so the resale stays high. That's kind of a Toyota thing in general-offering poor sales incentives because of their cult following.

People will say it is a reliability thing, but those same people will call Jeeps-which have similarly high resale value-huge pieces of shit. Of course this doesn't make sense, because it isn't the reason.

They really are a very mediocre truck. They still have drum brakes, they aren't very powerful and yet they get worse fuel mileage than most 1/2 tons with V8's, externally they're not much smaller than a full size truck, yet inside there is a lot less room.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 7:53:17 AM EDT
[#46]
About to sell our 2010 Prerunner with 133k to our neighbor for 15K. I think he's getting a deal.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 8:00:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I can't figure out how clapped out almost 250k miles on the odometer Tacomas go for well over 10k.
View Quote

Unless you've abused the Tacoma in question, 250k is not clapped out. Maybe that's the issue.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 8:02:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Unless you've abused the Tacoma in question, 250k is not clapped out. Maybe that's the issue.
View Quote

Yep, got rid of my previous Toyota with 380k and still had the factory plugs/wires. Rode and drive as good as a new one. Honestly wish i hadn’t.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 8:03:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Because people don't know what a good transmission, gear ratios, and how acceleration works?
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 8:07:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Because they don't have enough power to break anything
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top