Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2020 8:27:26 PM EDT
I notice that foam type shaving cream is disappearing from stores. I have tried the gel type, but never liked it.

Yeah, I can still find foam Barbasol and Walmart store brand, but major companies like Gillette and Shick seem to be dropping the foam type and filling shelves with the gel type.

Is it because most folks prefer the gel?

Or is it because the companies make more money on gel?

For a while, I noticed that the women's shaving section still stocked lots of foam type shaving cream but lately that has gone to mostly gel as well.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:30:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it’s tough to argue the margins either way on some cheap chemicals.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:34:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, can't help you guy. I haven't used foam in a long, long time. I use either cream or shave soap w/brush. Try it.

But.... bump
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:37:09 PM EDT
[#3]
It's better. Try Harry's.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:45:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Can't help you, I went from barbasol to shaving soap years and never looked back.  Good badger brush and good soap makes shaving not so much a chore.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:54:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Happy Barbisol user here. Tried the gels - hated them.  Gimme a nice handful of shave cream in the shower and I'm gtg.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:04:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Barbasol
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:17:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I tried gels several times, I did not like it. I am a Barbasol man for ever
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:35:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Try some Arko soap in a large mug or bowl and a brush.  That and a Double Edge Safety Razor.  I used to hate shaving--now I enjoy it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:37:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I use a shaving lotion, much better IMO.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:12:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I dumped gels and foam probably 8 years ago for a silver tip badger brush in olive wood from Shavemac. Creams and soaps and never looked at a can again! Add my vintage Gillette Slim with a Derby blade and you will wonder why you waited so long!
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:18:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I stopped using the canned goo with alcohol that dries up your skin many years ago.  I started using a DE razor, brush and shaving soap and never looked back.  It takes a little longer but your shave is much better and also your skin is too.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 11:24:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Maybe I was doing it wrong but whrn I used the Nivea shaving gel in the can I'd rub it in my palm until it was foamy like the regular old barbasol. I thought it was a bit slicker and cushiony than regular foam but I didn't pay much attention, I could use either one interchangeably. The foam types were a bit too dry for my taste though.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 11:31:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Screw Gillette and their toxic masculinity campaign.

I use barbasol/Walmart brands.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 5:13:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I find that shaving gel works better with my DE razor than shaving soap or creme.  But, that's just my face and razor, YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 5:28:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I have been using edge gel for 20+ years with no issues.

Usually have a beard during the winter and year round sometimes so I'm mainly shaving around the edges.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 8:07:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack19] [#16]
Because a lubricating cream, like Cremo, is FAR superior to air laden foam.

Need to make another pass? Just add water.

1950s vs 2000s

Link Posted: 6/8/2020 10:45:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Not entirely sure what you would classify it as, but I've had a tube of Cremo concentrated shave cream for over a year now. It's not a traditional aerosol shave cream, comes out like a gel, and then lathers up. It's advertised as a 90 day supply, but I shave almost daily and would estimate I still have a quarter of the tube left. I give it a solid 7/10.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 3:38:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By NRA_guy:
I notice that foam type shaving cream is disappearing from stores. I have tried the gel type, but never liked it.

Yeah, I can still find foam Barbasol and Walmart store brand, but major companies like Gillette and Shick seem to be dropping the foam type and filling shelves with the gel type.

Is it because most folks prefer the gel?

Or is it because the companies make more money on gel for kids??????????

For a while, I noticed that the women's shaving section still stocked lots of foam type shaving cream but lately that has gone to mostly gel as well.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/3/2020 4:09:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Doing COVID beard so no shaving at the moment. Use gel because it’s a smoother shave in the past.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 6:50:26 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm a shower shaver and just use a little conditioner and a really old knockoff mach3 disposable razor once a week. Previously I used shaving soap and a badger brush with a safety razor. That's a lot of work  I'm lazy and don't care if I have a close shave.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 7:31:51 AM EDT
[#21]
I use the Harrys shave gel. I thought it was weird at first, but it foams up ALOT for the little gel that the can dispenses. The can lasts a long time.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 8:00:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Megalomania] [#22]
I've been an Edge Gel user for years and then recently switched to Barbasol as it was more affordable.  I'm going to continue to use Barbasol over gel as I find that it works much better.

Link Posted: 10/3/2020 9:20:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#23]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dtrosch:
Try some Arko soap in a large mug or bowl and a brush.  That and a Double Edge Safety Razor.  I used to hate shaving--now I enjoy it.
View Quote

Arko is nice.  I like the arko stick for my travel kit.

Cremo is actually stocked in the drug store and supermarkets now.

A warm brush and a hard soap or cream is pretty enjoyable for shaving.

ETA. I used Edge gel since it came out before ten years ago dropping it for a badger brush and hard soaps and creams.  Williams soap is in every drug store and is cheap.  No scent,....but did I say it was cheap?. I usually keep a cake or two of williams as a back up if I run out of whatever else I had been using.  It has no scent really so it doesn’t fade on the shelf.  

I haven’t bought any Taylor of Old Bond Street type stuff in years.  You don’t have to go the snob route.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 10:36:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Group9] [#24]
Shaving quit being fun when Gillette Foamy dropped their coconut scented foam.  It made me feel like I was back in the islands for just a moment every morning.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 10:39:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 10:42:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 10:51:21 AM EDT
[#27]
I prefer shaving soap and brush.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 10:57:31 AM EDT
[#28]
I shave my head and the foam was awful for me.

But now I use Pantene conditioner to shave my noggin and it works better than both.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 11:02:13 AM EDT
[#29]
The sheer variety of proper shave soaps out there these days is incredible.

Get a brush, do it right.

You don't need to overly fetishize it like the millennial crowd. No need to go all straight razor crazy.

But, lather that shit in right and you'll wonder why you ever sprayed anything onto your hands.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 11:11:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Gels are far superior for shaving.

Demand dictates Supply.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 4:56:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Bigger_Hammer:
Gels are far superior for shaving.

Demand dictates Supply.
View Quote

This.

Canned foams < gels < proper shave soaps and a quality brush

Link Posted: 10/4/2020 4:59:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Justa_TXguy] [#32]
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 5:30:37 PM EDT
[#33]
I've used a safety razor for the past 10 years.
usually I use soap and a brush but have been using the Gillette Pure cream (yes,  I know Gillette..) and a I have absolutely been impressed with it.

I also really like the Van Der Hagan Shave butter.. that stuff is awesome if I'm in a hurry and don't want to whip up a lather (that Gillette Pure lathers well)
When I travel I use the Nivea 3 in 1 shower, shampoo and shave.. that shit is amazing.
Not only is it a great body wash and shampoo that you shave with.. it takes out stains in cloths and you can use it as a hand soap in the winter that  doesn't dry your skin.
Its hella slick to shave with too.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 2:39:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Because foamy air isn't really all that lubricating.

Try Cremo; or the gel of your choice. You'll never go back.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 3:13:47 PM EDT
[#35]
I shave in the shower and just use whatever hair conditioner or liquid soap is in there. It all works.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 10:29:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By right_rudder:
usually I use soap and a brush but have been using the Gillette Pure cream (yes,  I know Gillette..) and a I have absolutely been impressed with it.

I also really like the Van Der Hagan Shave butter.. that stuff is awesome if I'm in a hurry and don't want to whip up a lather (that Gillette Pure lathers well)
When I travel I use the Nivea 3 in 1 shower, shampoo and shave.. that shit is amazing.
Not only is it a great body wash and shampoo that you shave with.. it takes out stains in cloths and you can use it as a hand soap in the winter that  doesn't dry your skin.
View Quote

+1 on the Shave Butter. It’s excellent. I thought it would be just another gimmick but I’m really impressed.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 12:32:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By SnowboundinNH:

+1 on the Shave Butter. It's excellent. I thought it would be just another gimmick but I'm really impressed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SnowboundinNH:
Originally Posted By right_rudder:

+1 on the Shave Butter. It's excellent. I thought it would be just another gimmick but I'm really impressed.
Yep. I love that stuff. I cannot recommend it enough.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Back when I shaved, gel was much better than foam...unless foam was warm.  

Either way, I found that a brush and some proper soap or a tub of your preferred cream was better than the garbage in a can.  

I still use soap when I need a trim.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 5:42:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Does the shaving soap wash easier out of your razor? I find no matter how much you rinse your razor the gels clog it shortening the razor life.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 6:06:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BMCBreeder] [#40]
Same reason men went from bar soap to gel soap.
Advertising
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 6:19:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:
I just use Dove bar soap and shave in the shower.
View Quote

Shower shaving rules!

Only using Dove soap for lube- I can do that in a pinch, but in general is too rough for my delicate countenance.

Foam is like 3 seconds quicker than gel, so I vote cheap foam shaving cream. Those 3 seconds to full lather can really add up.

Link Posted: 4/17/2021 7:07:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Get a tube of Proraso and a brush...that stuff lasts forever, so much cheaper than cans.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 7:46:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By ms329:
Does the shaving soap wash easier out of your razor? I find no matter how much you rinse your razor the gels clog it shortening the razor life.
View Quote

Absolutely it does.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 8:07:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Gel probably has fewer applications per unit over foam.  Foam is some soapy stuff and gas. Gel is mostly soapy stuff.

There is more weight in gel used to shave, which means less uses from the can.  Which means you gotta buy it more often, which means more profit.

Just like candy bars going up in price slightly but the size going from 16 oz down to 10 oz.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 8:37:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:
I just use Dove bar soap and shave in the shower.
View Quote

Same!
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 4:00:53 PM EDT
[#46]

Sorry, can't help you guy. I haven't used foam in a long, long time. I use either cream or shave soap w/brush. Try it.

But.... bump
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/28/2021 4:22:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Organic bar soap is best
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 1:01:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Cream in a tube or soap in a cup is better.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 7:47:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Just tried the Barbasol 1919 shave cream, I was most impressed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top