Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2022 6:12:55 PM EDT
The largest bitch I see with God's units over that commie shit is but 'muh factions and divisible by ten'.

Surveyors and civil types figured it out forever ago- use decimal feet.  

Best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 6:21:35 PM EDT
[#1]
We use it in excavating.  It's amazing that guys can't grasp it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 6:27:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I use decimal feet. It's mildly annoying when I have to translate it to feet and inches for other people from time to time.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 6:28:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We use it in excavating.  It's amazing that guys can't grasp it.
View Quote
It's way better.  I mentioned surveyors, I suppose I should have said civil construction as a whole.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 7:49:45 PM EDT
[#4]
If we used base 12, it would make a whole lot more sense.  The simple reason for inches is that you can easily divide a foot by halves, thirds, quarters, and sixths.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 8:03:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If we used base 12, it would make a whole lot more sense.  The simple reason for inches is that you can easily divide a foot by halves, thirds, quarters, and sixths.
View Quote
.500, .333, .250, .167

Don't make this harder than it needs to be.

Of all places to use a fraction, probably the 2nd most notable (behind 1/3) is Pi, 22/7, and it's taught as a decimal.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 8:45:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
.500, .333, .250, .167

Of all places to use a fraction, probably the 2nd most notable (behind 1/3) is Pi, 22/7, and it's taught as a decimal.
View Quote

But, in base twelve, 1/2 is 0.6, 1/3 is 0.4 (no repeating for ever), 1/4 is 0.3, and 1/6 is 0.2, etc.  It does simplify common fractions.  The only better base (but more cumbersome) is base 24 to reduce repeating decimals for common fractions.

Also, pi is not a fraction. It is the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter.  It is irrational, meaning there is no expressible ratio in numerical form.  The fraction 22/7 is an approximation that in many cases is close enough.  But, still there are other fractions that are closer, but do not quite get to an actual value.  

In addition, to divide a line segment into 10 parts is also more difficult with just a compass (divider) than it is to divide into 12 parts.  Sixteen parts is even easier, and is why we have pounds, ounces, and drams.

If you want to divide things into 10 parts each, there is the metric system.  Which, does have plenty of nice features.  Still, I think that Napoleon screwed up with it by not using base 12 (add the numbers dec and el for 10 and 11 respectively), and not basing the unit of length on the acceleration of gravity.  Imagine if the acceleration of gravity (on earth) were 12 meters per second squared, and that the meter divided into 12 parts, and each of those divided into 12 as well.  Then the unit of mass would follow the same principle with the base unit of mass (the gram) being 1/12 of a meter cubed. Science would be even easier than with the current metric system.

ETA, in base twelve, the word for twelve is "Doe", so you count one, two, . . . , dec, el, doe.  I'm no sure on how to get the symbols for dec and el on computer (I'm sure they are there in a character map somewhere).
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 8:49:02 PM EDT
[#7]
All my tapes are in decimal feet.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 9:12:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

We use base 10 because we have 10 fingers, not because it's the best choice for a numbering system.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 10:26:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
.500, .333, .250, .167

View Quote

But Pi isn't 22/7
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 10:31:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

But Pi isn't 22/7
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
.500, .333, .250, .167

But Pi isn't 22/7
Thank you.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 11:27:25 PM EDT
[#11]
It should be all based on the nautical system.
360° in a circle or a sphere. Each degree is 60 minutes,  each minute is a nautical mile. Each nautical mile SHOULD be 1000 Fathoms. Each fathom should be 6' and each foot should be 1/2s, 1/4s, 1/8ths etcetera.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 10:55:23 AM EDT
[#12]
If there was only a unit system that was evenly divisible by increments of 10, I wonder what we would call such a system?
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 6:27:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If there was only a unit system that was evenly divisible by increments of 10, I wonder what we would call such a system?
View Quote
We'd call it divisible by ten.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top