Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2021 8:01:57 PM EDT
Basically all full sized service steel 9mm doublestack mags are the same, other than the location of the mag catch, and length.

Back in the bad era of the '94 AWB, it wasn't unheard of to modify Beretta 92 mags to work in high powers.  If you look at Kel-Tec's recent pistol caliber carbines, they make multiple mag catches to run a wide variety of mags.  I get that you can't cut all of the notches into a mag, but you could do quite a few.  

A really simple example is that Grand Power mags are the same as a CZ mag, but have a front located catch. Mec-Gar might as well put the GP catch hole on ALL CZ mags.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:07:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Going to an open architecture standard would be cool. I'm sure someone like Magpul would be all for that.

That being said without anyone adopting an open standard all it would be is some third party halfass mag that would probably decrease reliability which most people wouldn't want in a pistol.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:11:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Going to an open architecture standard would be cool. I'm sure someone like Magpul would be all for that.

That being said without anyone adopting an open standard all it would be is some third party halfass mag that would probably decrease reliability which most people wouldn't want in a pistol.
View Quote
I think Mec-Gar could make a mag that worked in 4 or 5 platforms with no reliability issues.  That would be really nice to buy, say, before a repeat of the '94 AWB.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:36:26 PM EDT
[#3]
This thread is for those who spend $1000 on a pistol and stuff it in a $14.95 uncle Mike's holster.

Prove me wrong
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:55:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This thread is for those who spend $1000 on a pistol and stuff it in a $14.95 uncle Mike's holster.

Prove me wrong
View Quote
I don't own any $1000 pistols or Uncle Mikes holsters.  

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:57:23 PM EDT
[#5]
It's definitely frustrating. Most 5.56 guns today are made to accept AR mags. But practically all pistol brands have a proprietary magazine.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:59:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Gun Jesus gives his opinion:
No, It Doesn't Take Glock Mags...and Sometimes That's Better

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:03:25 PM EDT
[#7]
OP needs a universal handgun. We do have one of those around here.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:06:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Pistol mag bodies are different sizes and contours depending on the guns grip. It’s not just the mag catch. The floorplate and grip length and magwell also matter, as does the grip angle.

AR mags have become standard because they’re easy to accommodate in a rifle. You’re not constrained by grip size or angle, and all you need is a short magwell and an AR mag catch.

ETA: Your example of the Kel-Tec above is a good one. The Glock grip doesn’t fit the other mags and the other mags won’t fit the Glock grip. So you have to buy the multi mag version grip, and then buy multiple mag catches, and you still only get compatibility with 4-5 mags after that.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:08:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Pistol mag bodies are different sizes and contours depending on the guns grip. It’s not just the mag catch. The floorplate and grip length and magwell also matter, as does the grip angle.

AR mags have become standard because they’re easy to accommodate in a rifle. You’re not constrained by grip size or angle, and all you need is a short magwell and an AR mag catch.
View Quote

A huge majority of pistol designs on the market are Glock clones with different controls. The heart of the gun is the same. It frustrates me that there isn't a standard magazine out there that new companies design their guns around.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:08:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Basically all full sized service steel 9mm doublestack mags are the same, other than the location of the mag catch, and length.

Back in the bad era of the '94 AWB, it wasn't unheard of to modify Beretta 92 mags to work in high powers.  If you look at Kel-Tec's recent pistol caliber carbines, they make multiple mag catches to run a wide variety of mags.  I get that you can't cut all of the notches into a mag, but you could do quite a few.  

A really simple example is that Grand Power mags are the same as a CZ mag, but have a front located catch. Mec-Gar might as well put the GP catch hole on ALL CZ mags.

View Quote

A Beretta 92 magazine can be given new mag catch holes and fit a Walther P99 and Springfield XD (the original ones). Lock the slide back and everything.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:11:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:13:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Prove me wrong
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:14:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

A huge majority of pistol designs on the market are Glock clones with different controls. The heart of the gun is the same. It frustrates me that there isn't a standard magazine out there that new companies design their guns around.
View Quote

If by “Glock clones”, you mean striker fired, maybe. But a huge majority of those pistol designs have different ergonomics, grip angles, grip sizes, mag release locations, etc.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:15:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

A Beretta 92 magazine can be given new mag catch holes and fit a Walther P99 and Springfield XD (the original ones). Lock the slide back and everything.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's exactly my point.  Why not whack in all of the holes you can at production, without compromising the magazine's integrity.

SIG 226, S&W 5906, BHP, CZs and others are the same angle and sized tube.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:18:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Imo their kinda already is.
Two of them infact.
The OG Beretta 92 mags and now the Glock mag.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:18:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It's definitely frustrating. Most 5.56 guns today are made to accept AR mags. But practically all pistol brands have a proprietary magazine.
View Quote

That’s because the magazines in a rifle don’t interface through the grip.

Look how many aftermarket pistol grip options there are for AR’s.

“Oh, so and so pistol just fits my hand so well.”
“Are you kidding me? It feels like a brick in my hand. I much prefer the ergonomics of the so and so!”

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:21:25 PM EDT
[#17]
All 9mm pistols should be Glock 19's anyway. Useless thread.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:24:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I really do wish there were standard magazines that many different handguns would use.

A 15 round doublestack 9mm magazines in most hanguns are very very similar, but just slightly different enough, they probably can't be made to really interchange. The magazine catch and slide stop bit of the follower would have to be identical. I don't think it would be difficult to do if most guns were designed around them.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:25:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
All meals should be McDonald's quarter pounders.

There's nothing wrong with glocks, but their mags do in fact suck in terms of being made out of thick plastic and giving up capacity compared to a steel mag.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:19:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Cankic (spelling) would take a 92 mag if the catch was moved. They all look alike.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:24:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

There's nothing wrong with glocks, but their mags do in fact suck in terms of being made out of thick plastic and giving up capacity compared to a steel mag.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MY <$20, reliable, durable mags laugh at $45 metal mags that need tuned or fail if you drop them on the feedlips.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:27:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Promag got close with its magazines that universally don’t work.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:31:20 PM EDT
[#23]
It is amazing how prevalent the "not invented here" syndrome is

Everyone always has some slightly better way to do things, no matter the time and cost to do so.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top