Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:56:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I still remember reading Guns and Ammo in the early/mid 80s and the writer loved the Enfield bullpup that was going to become the UKs MBR.
View Quote
Of course they thought it was great have they ever reviewed a gun and said "no it's crap"?

Years ago Prexis was working on a semi L85 but it went nowhere.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:59:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd buy one...
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:59:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
it's like cloning cancer

why would you do that
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:00:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It's got an interesting bayonet
View Quote
Those are available:
https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/Bayonets-c331.htm

Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:01:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I never found a good answer as to why SAS stopped using the AUG.
View Quote
I don't know about the SAS, but I read that the Australian Special Forces could never get the AUG to perform as well as they would have liked.

Every so often I've seen people talk how well the SA80 would sell in the US.
I've used the SA80A2.  If people picked them up in the local gun shop, they would set it right back down and walk away.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:03:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I love bullpups and the FAMAS is the grail gun of bullpup lovers. I've never cared for the SA80, just too ugly.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:04:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Because it's a terrible gun... haha. Just buy an AUG if ya want a bullpup
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:04:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I played around with an A2 when I worked with some Brits.  I really, really preferred my M4.  I still want one because it's unusual and kind of fun in that weird cousin you don't really like but still go out drinking with sort of way
View Quote
But is she hot?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:04:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't know about the SAS, but I read that the Australian Special Forces could never get the AUG to perform as well as they would have liked.
View Quote
In what way?
It's awkward to switch shoulders with; that's for sure.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:07:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
But is she hot?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I played around with an A2 when I worked with some Brits.  I really, really preferred my M4.  I still want one because it's unusual and kind of fun in that weird cousin you don't really like but still go out drinking with sort of way
But is she hot?
She's not a 10, but she will do on a slow Saturday night

Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:10:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I want one. Don't care if it sucks. I still want one.
View Quote
I want one also.
Fired one while Saudi Arabia during Desert Shield. I liked it. No malfunctions. Was able hit out to 300m with no problems.

If it was built, I would fo.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:11:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
But is she hot?

Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:16:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Saw the FAMAS while in France last year. It was a pretty nice looking rifle. The atrocious carry handle is gone. It's a flat top with EoTech and magnifier.

Saw the Italian ARX 100 while in Rome. That's a hot little number. Thinking of getting a 160 now.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:23:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Sure why not, they would be great for LARPing around Irish bars
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:23:54 AM EDT
[#15]
This is is easily in the top 20 dumbest threads I've ever seen posted on this website.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:29:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This is is easily in the top 20 dumbest threads I've ever seen posted on this website.
View Quote
At least it's an achievement.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:33:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:40:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I want one. Don't care if it sucks. I still want one.
View Quote
me too brother
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:42:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Why clone something that sucks?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:48:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
FAMAS maybe
View Quote
Yum. Wanted one since PS1 Metal Gear Solid.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:50:08 AM EDT
[#21]
I don’t care that it’s dumb. It was in a lot of games I had, and I grew up wanting one. It put a lot of dicks in the dirt back in my SOCOM 2 days. I’d be all over a reasonably priced clone, assuming they could unfuck it and make it actually work some of the time.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:50:27 AM EDT
[#22]
I have always wanted one, BAD.

I know it sucks, and I don’t care. I just love that stupid gun.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:56:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:02:22 AM EDT
[#24]
The problem is the cost to make it and the small number of people who would want it. You wouldn't buy it as your primary fighting rifle.

As far as the FAMAS goes, it had a goofy delayed blowback system that required steel cases. I think they fixed that, but simply going AR15 cerca 1980 would have been the best choice for countries like the UK and France. They could have jumped ahead of the US by going with flattops like Canada did, and making optics standard.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:04:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Why clone something that sucks?
View Quote
Because there is an interest in historical firearms. Hence repro FG-42 and BAR. The thing is, that interest is limited if it doesn't offer top notch performance.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:05:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Typical gun nuts, everyone saying they wish but there would be a bitch-tornado if someone did manage to reproduce a semi auto here and it only cost $5k.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:06:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Because it would cost $3500.

I would love to have a semi SA80.  But $1500 is about my limit.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:08:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
British vet here.  The A1 was a garbage gun, but the A2 is actually pretty decent.
View Quote
HK had to get involved.

Seriously, though.  This is what you get when you purposely destroy gun culture in your country.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:11:44 AM EDT
[#29]
I wonder if a US company managed to produce a super high quality, near exact duplicate, if they could sell parts or new guns to the UK.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:14:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Surely a large number of people would be interested in owning a copy of Britain's service rifle.
View Quote
not if they knew what a clunky unergonomic unreliable piece of shit it is.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:17:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Didn’t DD make a rail for them? I bet that thing weighs a fuck ton kitted out with an optic, rail with a light and a laser.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:18:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I still remember reading Guns and Ammo in the early/mid 80s and the writer loved the Enfield bullpup that was going to become the UKs MBR.
View Quote
It’s Guns & Ammo dude they’ve never run a negative honest review in their entire run.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:21:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I wouldn't mind having one, if the price was acceptable.

I remember wanting one as a kid watching 28 Days Later. Then I quickly realized the Steyr AUG is way better.

I never found a good answer as to why SAS stopped using the AUG. I think it was when they bought M4A1's (L119A1) from Diemaco to be like other nations' SF, and/or because they were making the L85 look bad.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:24:23 AM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wouldn't mind having one, if the price was acceptable.

I remember wanting one as a kid watching 28 Days Later. Then I quickly realized the Steyr AUG is way better.

I never found a good answer as to why SAS stopped using the AUG. I think it was when they bought M4A1's (L119A1) from Diemaco to be like other nations' SF, and/or because they were making the L85 look bad.
https://media.giphy.com/media/GrUhLU9q3nyRG/giphy.gif
Seriously, fuck. That came out 17 years ago!
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:35:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Would you guys feel better if I said teenager?
I was 15.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:39:49 AM EDT
[#36]
I like weird bullpups but I don't think I'd spend the 3-4K it would probably have to cost .
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:44:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Costs to produce not judged worth the probably low sales.  Not enough people want another nation's rifle to bother if it's known to suck and the startup cost would be high.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:47:48 AM EDT
[#38]
For those who say they want one, how much would you be willing to pay to buy a U.S. produced semi-auto clone?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:50:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Becuase it's a shitty weapon thats a bullpup clone of the AR-180.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:52:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Becuase it's a shitty weapon thats a bullpup clone of the AR-180.
View Quote
What if I told you HK had a hand in it?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:56:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

What if I told you HK had a hand in it?
View Quote
They polished a turd...but it's still a turd.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:56:43 AM EDT
[#42]
I almost bought the air soft version in 2006 because I liked it so much. Now? Not so much.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:59:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
For those who say they want one, how much would you be willing to pay to buy a U.S. produced semi-auto clone?
View Quote
If it was made buy a quality builder, I would actually be in for quite a bit. Its the type of gun that would get a short run and be done, which means it would never be worth less then the new price. Its an interesting footnote in firearm history and has seen considerable combat, there will always be some interest in the gun.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:02:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If it was made buy a quality builder, I would actually be in for quite a bit. Its the type of gun that would get a short run and be done, which means it would never be worth less then the new price. Its an interesting footnote in firearm history and has seen considerable combat, there will always be some interest in the gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Define "quite a bit".
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:26:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Saw the FAMAS while in France last year. It was a pretty nice looking rifle. The atrocious carry handle is gone. It's a flat top with EoTech and magnifier.

Saw the Italian ARX 100 while in Rome. That's a hot little number. Thinking of getting a 160 now.
View Quote
I was in Italy last year and saw a lot of soldiers around the tourist areas. Some sharp-looking dudes with impressive gear. Nothing sloppy about any of them that I saw.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:30:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
$5,000.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:35:52 AM EDT
[#47]
I've fired all the major issue bullpups, and the FAMAS wins hands down.

Best trigger, best ergonomics for a bullpup, most inherently accurate.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for that since it's French.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:42:55 AM EDT
[#48]
The Brits call it the civil servant because it doesn't work and you can't fire it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:43:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
@50cal Newer Eotechs like EXPS, XPS or AA battery models?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:43:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
2k +/- or roughly the same I paid for an AUG and a Tavor with integral optics .

Maybe 3k but probably not

No optic ? Knock off $500 from the above .

I am fully aware this is probably not gonna happen when 1/2 the gun isn't plastic
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top