Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/15/2022 8:39:40 AM EDT
Help me figure it out.

It seems kludgy and silly to go to a company and tell them you want to buy them out for an inflated price when the stocks are there on the market and can be bought by anyone.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 8:41:20 AM EDT
[#1]
There is probably paperwork that needs to be filled out by both parties.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 8:43:38 AM EDT
[#2]
To buy, those that own have to agree to sell. He wants to take them private, which means he needs ALL the stock back.
Which is the rub.  If Twitter BOD refuses to sell, then how can they explain to the shareholders why they did not let them make money (as Twitter spirals down).
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 8:44:25 AM EDT
[#3]
The entire company's outstanding shares are not available for sale. He can buy all the shares people are actively selling,  but that won't even make up a majority.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 8:44:49 AM EDT
[#4]
its not really that simple.

lets say you have 1000 shares of some stock. 100 of them are on the market and 900 in private hands. you buy the 100 and the 900 in private hands go up massively in value.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 8:45:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I believe his plan is to make formal low ball offer, get rejected and then buy out stock holders on the side until he has controlling interest.   Then remove current board of directors and put mallard ducks in their place.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 8:45:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

Plus all of the available stock for sale on the exchange probably wouldn’t put him to being the majority share holder.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 8:51:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Twitter has nuclear option called "poison pill" , that would squish Musks from a hostile take over,  in theory
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 8:54:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The entire company's outstanding shares are not available for sale. He can buy all the shares people are actively selling,  but that won't even make up a majority.
View Quote

I owned stock in a publicly traded company that went private.

I don’t know the particulars on how it all works, but nobody asked to buy out my shares. They just sent me a check and said adios.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 8:57:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I don’t know the particulars on how it all works, but nobody asked to buy out my shares. They just sent me a check and said adios.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 8:58:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Had that happen with some Dell stock I owned. Board says we're selling to go private, you get a check, go find another stock to buy.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 8:59:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Twitter has nuclear option called "poison pill" , that would squish Musks from a hostile take over,  in theory
View Quote

What does this mean in regular dumb folks speak?
<~~ dumb
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:03:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
To buy, those that own have to agree to sell. He wants to take them private, which means he needs ALL the stock back.
Which is the rub.  If Twitter BOD refuses to sell, then how can they explain to the shareholders why they did not let them make money (as Twitter spirals down).
View Quote

They can explain from a jail cell, or at minimum the unemployment line, as they would have broken their fiduciary duty to the shareholders.

By any measurable standard twitter is wholly and thoroughly fucked, and must accept this offer.

That left wing indian is a dead man walking.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:04:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Oh de noes! But what will happen to GAB and Truth social?????

ETA: I'll create my first ever Twitter account if Musk gets control...
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:07:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

The company I work for was bought by another public company. When this is decided, regardless of the buyer, there is a plan in place to liquidate every share of the stock. That's what the BOD is agreeing to do on BEHALF of, and in the INTEREST of the shareholders.

We were told how our existing shares would be paid out (converted to the new company's stock), the conversion rate, and on what date that was to occur.

Everybody made a decent chunk on the switch over. There will be no large scale effort by shareholders to oppose this.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:08:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

<~~ dumb
View Quote

A poison pill is a stock dilution strategy, where the company will sell more stock into the public markets (often at a discount) so there are more shares to buy, which also translates the person/company who wants to buy them having their current ownership percentage reduced.  This is in a effort to make the company harder or less attractive to be bought out.

So in TWTRs example, more shares to buy to take the whole company private, and Musks 9% current ownership percentage goes down.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:09:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They can explain from a jail cell, or at minimum the unemployment line, as they would have broken their fiduciary duty to the shareholders.

By any measurable standard twitter is wholly and thoroughly fucked, and must accept this offer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless he can get Google to offer $64.20. See what I did there? 420? Musk's favorite number?

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:10:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

You probably threw out your voting form with the junk mail.

If there’s a takeover, of any kind, it has to go to a vote of the shareholders. Even the election of the BoD at the AGM is voted on by the shareholders, they send you a proxy form, you fill out your vote and send it in. I probably get a dozen or so proxy forms a year to vote on. One of them this year was a takeover bid. We got bought out and I made a ton of money but I got a vote.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:10:55 AM EDT
[#18]
The beauty of all this is no matter how it goes, the left is put in a very uncomfortable position.

I like that.

I like that a lot.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:13:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I believe his plan is to make formal low ball offer, get rejected and then buy out stock holders on the side until he has controlling interest.   Then remove current board of directors and put mallard ducks in their place.
View Quote

They were talking about this on Fox Business and they said he offered more than the company is currently worth.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:13:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Unless he can get Google to offer $64.20. See what I did there? 420? Musk's favorite number?

Kharn
View Quote

I see it.

Google (Alphabet) could never credibly sell this to their own shareholders.  

Buying a shit-performing company who is sinking at a steeply elevated price in order to do what with it exactly?  - maintain the status quo?  The same things that are making it go down?

Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:16:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

<~~ dumb
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<~~ dumb

Article explaining how they make the company less attractive to the buyer
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:16:14 AM EDT
[#22]
I thought he was publicly offering an inflated price just to stir up shit between the company, stock holders and woke twits.
If this wasn't done publicly he doesn't achieve grand master troll level.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:16:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Kharn
View Quote

Fuckin Seltzer. What an idiot.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:16:58 AM EDT
[#24]
we no longer live in a free economy.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:17:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

In the meantime the DOJ and SEC have their man in search of a crime.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:17:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Article I saw yesterday mentioned he got his hand spanked awhile back talking about Tesla stock which manipulated its value, and I think he had to pay like a $40 million fine?  Probably trying to fuck around with Twitter without getting the SEC after him again.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:18:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

But he didn't make a lowball offer. His offer makes it hard for the board to refuse as they have a fiduciary duty to make shareholders money. That's how I understand it anyway.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:19:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

A poison pill is a stock dilution strategy, where the company will sell more stock into the public markets (often at a discount) so there are more shares to buy, which also translates the person/company who wants to buy them having their current ownership percentage reduced.  This is in a effort to make the company harder or less attractive to be bought out.

So in TWTRs example, more shares to buy to take the whole company private, and Musks 9% current ownership percentage goes down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<~~ dumb

The poison pill strategy Twitter has is the same as papa Johns. Where individuals can’t own more than 14.9% without triggering different clauses. One of which is the blank check defense.

Assuming they do this, along with musks statements… I would say Twitter is pretty much done.

As well a lot of the capital groups backing this would be severely injured financially by musks move. As well it could open the board up to a huge lawsuit.

The only way out of this for Twitter is if they find another buyer for more than Musk’s offer. Which in todays world, is getting pretty doubtful. Amazon, Google, and Microsoft would have the cash, but doubtful they could pass anti trust.

Other private investment maybe.  But again sketchy.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:22:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
He made an offer and it wasn't low ball.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:23:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Heard on "the news" something about the CEO has a poison pill to devalue twitter or something like that.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:24:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:27:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

$10 a share premium isn’t lowball.

Also there’s a regulation in their company about owning more than 14.9%.

Companies are allowed to write their own rules.  Public companies are governed certain ways to stop silent take overs.  As silent take overs historically, have screwed retail investors.  So there is some layer of protection for the retail investor. Which is why you have disclose large share transactions.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:28:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Not being a smartass... Is it a low-ball offer to request to buy them at $54 when they are currently $45?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not being a smartass... Is it a low-ball offer to request to buy them at $54 when they are currently $45?

Maybe low ball was too extreme, how about low offer?  It was obviously too low for Twitter to accept.  I believe he thought he would not get them to bite on this and would go after large stake holders on the side from the get go.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:29:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Heard on "the news" something about the CEO has a poison pill to devalue twitter or something like that.
View Quote

Yes. The board has a “blank check” poison pill.  Which they can sell more preferred stock, to board members at a discounted price.

If they do this vs taking the buy out premium, it’s going to end in a gigantic messy lawsuit.

It’s really a bad option.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:31:05 AM EDT
[#35]
His offer is 30% of his position before he bought in.

You can’t just buy all available stock to take over a company like this because there isn’t much stock available. Go to any trading app and look up the stat that says % owned by institutions. It’s usually over 70%.

If he starts buying up all available he’ll send the price through the roof and still not get what he wants.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:33:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

not voting didn't mean you didn't have the right to vote. unless you were a major shareholder you're not even a drop in the bucket in most cases anyway. you may have tossed the form thinking it was junk mail. or moved and didnt update your address, or deleted the email or its still sitting in your inbox unread.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:36:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yes. The board has a “blank check” poison pill.  Which they can sell more preferred stock, to board members at a discounted price.

If they do this vs taking the buy out premium, it’s going to end in a gigantic messy lawsuit.

It’s really a bad option.
View Quote

They are talking to prosecutors and lining up judges to get the charges they want and the ones they don't ignored in the courts they need.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:37:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Maybe low ball was too extreme, how about low offer?  It was obviously too low for Twitter to accept.  I believe he thought he would not get them to bite on this and would go after large stake holders on the side from the get go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He didn't offer twitter anything. He offered shareholders a $10 premium on their stock. The more appropriate way to look at it is a 35% premium, or more, depending on how you look at it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:38:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Grand priest SEC sanctification?

Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:39:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

How is it a lowball offer when it is  greater than 50% more per share?
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:41:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless someone else or another company offers more.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:41:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

the Devil's lettuce will be the end of us all.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:43:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly.  I think he knows they’ll tell him no.  

Then he can sue them into oblivion.  

I once emailed and asked Ken Williams why he sold Sierra.  Because he had to or be sued.  It was a publicly traded company and they were offered well above share price.  

Was pretty cool to see the guy respond to some teenage boys e-mail lol.   I loved their games.  Adventure games, flight sims, football pro series, the incredible machine.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:44:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

He didn't offer twitter anything. He offered shareholders a $10 premium on their stock. The more appropriate way to look at it is a 35% premium, or more, depending on how you look at it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Imagine if someone offered you an extra 35% return on your investment, for nothing more than a show of good faith. It would be pretty hard to say 'no' to that.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:46:23 AM EDT
[#45]
My main question:

What good is it to own a company that is staffed and operated by hostile assholes that truly believe in censorship for an authoritarian gov't? Musk would have to fire 90% of the workers and re-do all the "algorithms".

It would be like Trump in the White House with EVERYONE working to sabotage his admin.

Could a $40Billion investment start a twatter like company to compete and run twatter out of business?
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:47:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read an article about how Elon could finance this deal.  But part of the article was the issues with public financing of this right now. As it’s a super risky deal for any publicly traded bank.

Unless someone has access to a ton of private capital (google, Amazon, Facebook, Microsoft) - it’s not going to be publicly financed. Which means a lot of traditional buyers are out.

All the companies I just mentioned have anti trust issues. Especially Amazon and Facebook.

Microsoft and google… I mean, why spend the money outside of stopping musk? Which could breed a different level of enemy.

So the buyers are very, very limited.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:48:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Imagine if someone offered you an extra 35% return on your investment, for nothing more than a show of good faith. It would be pretty hard to say 'no' to that.
View Quote

Unless you were an activist NOT an investor and your "investment" being bought was an existential threat to everything you believe and work for...
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:49:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I feel like the roughly 30% (guessing) that isn't institutional should have already accepted, if it's on their account already.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:51:31 AM EDT
[#49]
He made a Highball offer.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:53:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, they gotta go down to the tag office…
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top