BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2020 5:24:07 AM EDT
3 Guitar Players

Seems overkill 2 me
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 5:54:41 AM EDT
[#1]
multiple solos varying in different tunes or styles. The rhythm guitars that play slightly differently or tuned differently to give a mass stereo effect. Judas Priest did it too.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 7:41:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Who's Iron Maidon?  Never heard of them?

Link Posted: 5/24/2020 7:44:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Who's Iron Maidon?  Never heard of them?

View Quote

Yesterday there was Led Zepplin and now this.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 7:48:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yesterday there was Led Zepplin and now this.
View Quote

Seriously.  The literacy rate on ARF is probably around second grade. lol
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:04:36 AM EDT
[#5]
So did Lynard Skynyrd what's your point
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:37:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:17:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Simply put, they didn't want to fire Janick Gers when Adrian Smith came back. They don't really need 3 guitar players. That being said, having 3 players does give them a little more freedom since they can put showmanship ahead of playing since redundancy allows some playing gaps. Janick is also very visual which some people like. I think he overdoes it personally.  Bottom line, he became their friend so they don't want to sack him. They don't need the money so saving one guitar player expense is a non issue.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:42:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Dumb topic, but now I'm going to listen to Maiden the rest of the day, so I thank the OP for that.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:50:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Dumb topic, but now I'm going to listen to Maiden the rest of the day, so I thank the OP for that.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:04:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Lead guitar, rythym guitar, bass.

Common set up and part of their great sound.

See also Scorpions.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:10:39 AM EDT
[#11]
heavy thick guitar sound is created on albums by using multiple layered tracks with slighlty different tonal characteristics.
Sometimes a lot.
I once read Billy Corgan from Smashing Pumpkins had over 20 guitar tracks.  

Using multiple rhythm guitar players helps reproduce that sound live.
Especially since Maiden songs are heavy on solos.  

Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:29:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:56:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Lead guitar, rythym guitar, bass.

Common set up and part of their great sound.

See also Scorpions.
View Quote

See also April Wine
April Wine - Roller (Official Music Video)
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 7:40:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
the band is old as dirt.  One of two guitar players left the band and a replacement was brought in, Later, the original band member rejoined, and the replacement stayed on.

The Trooper is the best heavy metal song of ALL TIME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G5rfPISIwo
View Quote

This is correct. And I just started to learn Hallowed Be Thy Name on guitar.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:47:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:43:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Simply put, they didn't want to fire Janick Gers when Adrian Smith came back. They don't really need 3 guitar players. That being said, having 3 players does give them a little more freedom since they can put showmanship ahead of playing since redundancy allows some playing gaps. Janick is also very visual which some people like. I think he overdoes it personally.  Bottom line, he became their friend so they don't want to sack him. They don't need the money so saving one guitar player expense is a non issue.
View Quote

I've seen Maiden twice live and have to agree with Janick overdoing the flashy visuals. Still a kickass band to experience live.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:50:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
the band is old as dirt.  One of two guitar players left the band and a replacement was brought in, Later, the original band member rejoined, and the replacement stayed on.

The Trooper is the best heavy metal song of ALL TIME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G5rfPISIwo
View Quote

Adrian Smith was not an original member.   See their first album.  Even before their first album.

Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:04:56 PM EDT
[#18]
7pni and every other explanation is from someone clueless.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 8:55:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Maidon?
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 11:30:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Adrian Smith quit for awhile, so they brought Janick Gers into the band. Then when Smith decided to come back, they decided to keep Gers because they like the guy and didn't want to kick him out on his ass.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 11:33:38 AM EDT
[#21]
They're nice guys who didn't want to fire Janick Gers when the guy he replaced re-joined the band.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 11:36:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Adrian Smith quit for awhile, so they brought Janick Gers into the band. Then when Smith decided to come back, they decided to keep Gers because they like the guy and didn't want to kick him out on his ass.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/3/2020 10:57:59 AM EDT
[#24]
I'll just leave this here

https://youtu.be/dU2Pbm9wtnw

Link Posted: 6/3/2020 11:13:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'll just leave this here

https://youtu.be/dU2Pbm9wtnw

View Quote

Stuff like that short-circuits my brain.  Kinda like those "minor songs in a major key" videos.  Knocks my world off its axis!
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:06:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Adrian Smith was not an original member.   See their first album.  Even before their first album.

View Quote

Steve Harris is technically the only original member but Adrian Smith was there all throughout their golden years. Adrian Smith  is still a HUGE part of Maiden
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 12:06:49 PM EDT
[#27]
In addition to just wanting to keep Gers on, they also often have 3 guitar tracks at the same time so...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top