Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/26/2021 8:51:54 PM EDT
Why do family members call cops when one of their own is having a mental episode?

You’ve lived with this person and delt with them for years.  Why would you call strangers in to fix the issue?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 8:54:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 8:55:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Because  they want them shot, usually
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 8:55:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Cause they have no clue what to do? Everyone's first reaction when they have no idea what to do is bother the Police. They think we know everything about everything.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 8:57:28 PM EDT
[#4]
They can’t force them to go to the hospital or doctor to get meds straightened out.  Police can if they are a danger to themselves or others.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 8:57:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Because when cousin Larry has doused himself in gasoline and has barricaded himself in the laundry room with a butcher knife and a bbq lighter, people start to feel unsafe.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 8:59:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Calling the ambulance doesn't result in a multimillion dollar settlement.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 8:59:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Because they don't want a domestic violence charge for handling it themselves.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:00:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Who else is going to respond ?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:01:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:06:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Or have it stuck up their ass for "Taking the law into their own hands."
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:08:06 PM EDT
[#11]
It’s a very, very, veeeeeerrrryyy common call for police. We can’t do anything unless they break the law. If they make suicidal threats EMS can make them ride to the Emergency Room psych section. Lately EMS has stopped doing that in a lot of cases and pawn it off back on the police. It’s a mess.

It’s very hard explaining that to frustrated families. Their only option in most cases is to go to a probate Judge at the hospital and request a mental pick up order. Which then goes to the Police- and we serve it like an arrest warrant. except we drop them off at the Emergency room instead of the jail.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:08:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Because when cousin Larry has doused himself in gasoline and has barricaded himself in the laundry room with a butcher knife and a bbq lighter, people start to feel unsafe.
View Quote

So. What you're saying is...
Don't check homeowners policy, and don't shout Do it you drama queen! No balls! You won't! And tell the neighbors to hold off calling it in until it's fully engulfed to get new house?

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:09:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I had to call the police on a friend who was threatening to kill himself. It was beyond my ability to handle. I'm not a trained counselor. I was concerned that he was actually going to do it. While I fully respect a person's free will, I think it's also a good idea to intervene if someone is about to make a permanent decision while they are not in the right frame of mind. He did thank me later and felt that I may have saved his life.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:10:20 PM EDT
[#14]
People panic and call the police because they don't know what to do in a tough situation.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:11:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Cause they have no clue what to do? Everyone's first reaction when they have no idea what to do is bother the Police. They think we know everything about everything.
View Quote

You're right and I was trying to think of a way to word that without sounding like I'm bashing cops.

A lot of people think cops are magicians who can show up and wave their magic gun and everything is fixed. Cops know how to fix every problem that can exist! In reality, most cops are just normal people who have no more of idea how to "fix" your schizophrenic meth-head son or suicidal teenage daughter than you do.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:30:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You're right and I was trying to think of a way to word that without sounding like I'm bashing cops.

A lot of people think cops are magicians who can show up and wave their magic gun and everything is fixed. Cops know how to fix every problem that can exist! In reality, most cops are just normal people who have no more of idea how to "fix" your schizophrenic meth-head son or suicidal teenage daughter than you do.
View Quote

Well. Cops have tazers.

I'd hand out tazers like candy for... well. Both.

Here ya go John Q tax payer. Go Raiden on their ass with some canned lightning if they fuck around again.

Suicidal teenage daughter will never trust a battery operated pleasure device from riding the lightning...
So there's that...

I wouldn't make a very good cop... I would be looking for dope and dwi and shit.

Someone calls in a crazy? I'm no shrink. I'm no pill mill. Not my specialty. Not my problem. But, I'll administer some canned lightning if you want...

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:32:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Um, I dunno.  Maybe because there is no 911 equivalent for social workers?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:32:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Why do family members call cops when one of their own is having a mental episode?

You’ve lived with this person and delt with them for years.  Why would you call strangers in to fix the issue?
View Quote

They lookin' fo' dat payout, homey!

But seriously, maybe FDs should have like a heavy squad or something to deal with EDPs.  Give them tasers, restraints, have tranqs on standby, enough to restrain an individual without having firearms nearby.  People might be more hesitant to scream brutality and oppression at the FD.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:33:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, there is the dag handling expertise unique to the police.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:35:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They can’t force them to go to the hospital or doctor to get meds straightened out.  Police can if they are a danger to themselves or others.
View Quote

You don’t always have an option with a person having an episode.  If they are threatening themselves or others, it’s tough.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:35:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Who else is going to respond ?
View Quote

Thank you.

Speaking strictly as someone whose father was a bipolar narcissistic psychopath.

Sometimes you have no other choice. Even having dealt with someone like that's shit for years. Sometimes they get really determined to push you past your limits.

Why?

I don't know why and I don't care. All I know is that I'm glad that I wasn't completely alone dealing with my fathers shit.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:36:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

They lookin' fo' dat payout, homey!
View Quote

You're probably right... get rid of your nutty shithead problem relative you can't stand, make a fuss, get paid by someone with actual money to pay you (Your local .Gov). You can't lose!
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:37:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are only five methods of conflict resolution in an altercation; talking, arguing, running, restraining, and assault.  Those tend to escalate from top to bottom quickly.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:37:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Um, I dunno.  Maybe because there is no 911 equivalent for social workers?
View Quote

"Yet..."
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:38:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Because they have a complete misconception of cops' priorities and tactics.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:38:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think you answered your own question. They've dealt with them for years and know what happens when they lose control.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:39:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Same reason people call us when mcdonalds is out of chicken nuggets, or their kid doesn't want to go to school, or their neighbor mows 3 inches of their yard, or the neighbors are having a cook out on a sunny day and they don't like cars parked in front of their house, or their roommate brought someone over that they don't like, ect.

The default answer is to call the police for anything and everything.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:42:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Because for the past 40 years we've been told to call 911 for an emergency. We were told not to handle it ourselves, let a professional handle it.
So, professionals, handle it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Because the mental health system is a broken mess that only occasionally works at the lowest point in someone's crisis instead of addressing and working on problems before they grow into a situation in which the police are the only ones who are willing to try to intervene?

Or, people call the police because the police actually show up when you call for help. Doctors don't. EMS won't unless the police come too. Social Workers don't. Friends and family usually don't, particularly in cases that get so bad that the police are called. The police are the only ones who actually seem to try to do something, even if it's the wrong approach. To a desperate family, that's seen as better than nothing.

People also call the police about potholes and icy roads, and about their neighbors shooting off fireworks on 4th of July, and because they and their spouse had an argument about the checking account.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:46:23 PM EDT
[#30]
People call 911 when they reach a point in their life that they are less than adequate to deal with themselves. As people become less independent the calls that come in become more and more ridiculous. I'd say that 90%+ of the calls we receive are pure bullshit and that might be optimistic.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:47:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Because they need someone to shoot them, but ask them not to shoot them until after they are shot.

Duh
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:49:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Because relatives going crazy can and will kill your ass.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:51:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Because they live with them and know how screwed up they really are and know only the professionals can handle them.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:54:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Op, this makes clear you know nothing about metal health crisis.

Lotsa coc noncompliant here ___.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:57:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Op, this makes clear you know nothing about metal health crisis.
View Quote
Please enlighten us, we are all lined up here waiting.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:58:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Why do they call the COPS when their teen wont go to school?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:01:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:03:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Because the mental health system is a broken mess that only occasionally works at the lowest point in someone's crisis instead of addressing and working on problems before they grow into a situation in which the police are the only ones who are willing to try to intervene?

Or, people call the police because the police actually show up when you call for help. Doctors don't. EMS won't unless the police come too. Social Workers don't. Friends and family usually don't, particularly in cases that get so bad that the police are called. The police are the only ones who actually seem to try to do something, even if it's the wrong approach. To a desperate family, that's seen as better than nothing.
View Quote

You can repeat the mental health system is broken several more times.  It's difficult to get anything done in less than 3 weeks.  The system is only geared to work when there is a crisis.

In many jurisdictions if the person is an adult and is unwilling to get help,  there is nothing the family can do to force them.  So you are stuck waiting for the inevitable crisis to happen that allows the State to step in against their will.

Also, did you know that in many jurisdictions the police are THE ONLY AUTHORIZED party that can restrain the person having the mental issue.  If you try anything you open yourself up to legal issues.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:06:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

That’s a great time to let a situation resolve itself.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:07:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly, I did not go to med school, I went to cop school. Crazy people need to be seen by doctors not the police unless they commit a crime.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:10:39 PM EDT
[#41]
The mental health department of your local big city is responsible for way more deaths than the corresponding police department I can tell you that.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:12:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Exactly, I did not go to med school, I went to cop school. Crazy people need to be seen by doctors not the police unless they commit a crime.
View Quote

Hah, good luck getting any mental health professional to see anyone without the police making sure the "scene is safe"
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:12:37 PM EDT
[#43]
I don't know
but my X-wife has that mentality
calls the cops on her oldest son because she can't handle him anymore
this has been her go to since he was 15 he'll be 30 in May

about a year and half ago his girlfriend kicked him out
he called his mom for a ride and a place to stay, she called the cops and said he was suicidal. he wasn't he actually just needed a ride and a place to stay.
he's been living with me since then.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:13:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

The problem is when they refuse to see a doctor, unilaterally decide to go off their meds, or suffer a sudden down turn and the psychiatrist is booked for the next 3 weeks.

Again the system is not geared to get the person help until that person goes into crisis.  That's just the way it is.  Believe me, I have seen family members that know what is happening try to get their loved one help before the crisis and not be able to if that person is not willing to go voluntarily.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:21:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because if you give him the ass kicking he desperately needs, you go to jail.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:18:57 PM EDT
[#46]
People don’t think stupidity be like it is, but it do
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:23:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No you wont
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:27:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Could be.

Or they don’t want to take the blame if the family member is arrested or forced into treatment etc.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:33:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Could be.

Or they don’t want to take the blame if the family member is arrested or forced into treatment etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could be.

Nope, I have had family members DEMAND I shoot their relative.

NOTHING you hear from a family member can be taken at face value because they will flat out lie to make it seem a lot worse than it is. I have also responded to a suicide where the guy's own mother bought him a shotgun and the called from her car when she heard the boom.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:35:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Shooting them would be so much easier.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top