Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2021 10:31:41 PM EDT
They both load from the front so they have seals around the edges

Front load washers you have to leave open, empty filters, wipe the seals, etc and they still get funky smelling

Dishwashers on the other hand you never have to leave open or do that stuff and it’s never foul smelling or funky

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:12:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Dishwashers leave very little water in their drains, front load washers have quite a bit of water coating the drum and in the pump etc. Problem is that water lets mold and fungus grow, so the more water left the worse things will be. Dishwasher soap is also very caustic, so completely kills the mold/fungus with every use, laundry detergent doesn't.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:13:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Magnets on a treadmill in a rogueboss thread
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:16:21 PM EDT
[#3]
No skidmarked undies and funky socks in the dishwasher.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:20:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Because she showers every other days.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:23:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Fpni
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:23:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I remove/install dishwashers daily. I assure you they do get funky smelling!!

Garbage disposals are worse smelling.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:25:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:28:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't think the OP knows what the hell he's talking about.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:34:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Dishwashers are smarter.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:37:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Dishwashers leave very little water in their drains, front load washers have quite a bit of water coating the drum and in the pump etc. Problem is that water lets mold and fungus grow, so the more water left the worse things will be. Dishwasher soap is also very caustic, so completely kills the mold/fungus with every use, laundry detergent doesn't.
View Quote

There is this stuff called bleach... works very similar to how dish washer soap works.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:38:12 PM EDT
[#11]
See that heating coil in your dishwasher?  I'll wager your washing machine doesn't have one.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:38:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Sometimes they do, and that's when you run some Lemi shine through them.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:41:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Will this be another thread where many don’t know the difference between cloth and clothes?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:47:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I’m going to be real honest here and say our front loader has never had mold or needed the seal cleaned other than wiped off occasionally if there was excess soap scum on it. It’s a Kenmore he4t which is a Whirlpool product from like 14 years ago and cleans the clothes just fine.

We seem to have these threads come up repeatedly and I’ve just got to wonder... what the hell are you people doing to these poor machines?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:28:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Leave the frontloaders door slightly open.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:35:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Dishwashers weren't designed by Liberals.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:45:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I take that rubber drain thing off every few weeks and wash it, keeps the disposal odor free.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:58:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
This.
I have dealt with dishwashers that smelled like a 5 $ whore who hasn't bathed in a week and ran a marathon in Miami in August.

Garbage disposals that the dishwasher drains into. Are just as bad.

This is why I have a wife. No disposal or dishwasher in my home
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:00:24 AM EDT
[#19]
So I've noticed that my wife has decided that she doesnt need to shower on weekends or days she doesnt work anymore.  Her normal cleansing practice is to shower once a day, in the morning on the days she works.  She works 3 days a week, so she showers 3 days a week.  

This has affected our sex life as she always has a smell about her.  And on weekends, the last time she would have showered was Friday morning, before going to work.

There have been times the smell was so bad I couldnt maintain an erection and had to tell her about it.  I said "When was the last time you bathed yourself?"  Of course she got mad at me even though she couldnt remember when she had last washed herself.

It's pretty fucking gross cause I'm a pretty clean guy, bathing either once or twice a day depending on what I did that day.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:06:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:07:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
See that heating coil in your dishwasher?  I'll wager your washing machine doesn't have one.
View Quote

I was going with this. The heated dry cycle of the dishwasher makes the difference I'm sure.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:16:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
  That's what I thought. It gets hot in there.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:19:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:24:00 AM EDT
[#24]

Bacteria. Humans are filthy and disgusting. Use vinegar in your clothes rinse cycle. Softens clothes and reduces bacteria.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:31:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Well OP, you solved the mystery! Just wash your clothes in the dishwasher, problem solved!

Surely the answer can't be that they are two completely different machines designed to operate in two completely different ways to serve two completely different purposes.

Nope it must have something to do with the way you load them.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:33:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Get yourself a top-loading washing machine.  Problem fixed.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:47:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I was going with this. The heated dry cycle of the dishwasher makes the difference I'm sure.
View Quote

I don’t use the heated dry cycle
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:51:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:57:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not an installer but installed one when I bought a house. After a few trial runs of the old one not draining...yeah, it was funky. Previous owners did it no favors either but holy shit that was gross, detemined it was not worth repair of a disgusting unit. Took it out, installed a nice new stainless model and never worried again.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:00:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Depends on how much they have had to drink.

Tequila produces faster results.

YMMV
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:20:12 AM EDT
[#31]
this is just guesswork, but my thought is water temperature.

Most washing machines use lower temperature water (cold or warm instead of hot) most of the time.

Dish washers always use really hot water, especially on the rinse cycle.

Hot water evaporates faster. Faster evaporation means less water left behind to culture nasties.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:00:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Dishwashers are smarter.
View Quote
Smarter than OP?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:10:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

There is this stuff called bleach... works very similar to how dish washer soap works.
View Quote
But dishwashers use it every load. And at extreme concentrations that would destroy clothes. Also dishwashers run extremely hot and have heating elements to bake the dishes dry after the rinse cycle.

Bleach is rarely used in clothes washers and then there is no heating cycle to dry them.

most of it is the door seal design however. The clothes washer traps water and the dishwasher doesn't.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:17:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Leave the frontloaders door slightly open.
View Quote

Cat crawls inside.... Close door.  Two problems solved.

I can joke about it because my fur buddy cat is dying of cancer.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:28:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
No skidmarked undies and funky socks in the dishwasher.
View Quote

Who says?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:30:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Everyone I know owns front load washers and loves them. I've held on to my top load with agitator because arf tells me to. I'm starting to think that there's a whole world out there I'm missing out on.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:31:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Clearly you’ve never owned arfcoms favorite dishwasher: Bosch
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:09:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Mt frontload clothes washer is 8 years old and doesn't have any funky smell.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:24:03 AM EDT
[#39]
My last LG front loader never had aroma problems. It was about 18 years old. It had a drain pipe and a filter that needed to be serviced about once a month. I drain my washer on the first of every dry month and clean the filter at the same time. It takes about one minute.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:44:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So I've noticed that my wife has decided that she doesnt need to shower on weekends or days she doesnt work anymore.  Her normal cleansing practice is to shower once a day, in the morning on the days she works.  She works 3 days a week, so she showers 3 days a week.  

This has affected our sex life as she always has a smell about her.  And on weekends, the last time she would have showered was Friday morning, before going to work.

There have been times the smell was so bad I couldnt maintain an erection and had to tell her about it.  I said "When was the last time you bathed yourself?"  Of course she got mad at me even though she couldnt remember when she had last washed herself.

It's pretty fucking gross cause I'm a pretty clean guy, bathing either once or twice a day depending on what I did that day.

View Quote

There is now way this can be true.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Cloths washers?

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:09:42 PM EDT
[#42]
bleach or oxidizers in dish tabs

https://edu.rsc.org/download?ac=10988

Dishwasher tablets and powders contain a surprising mix of chemicals, far more than just the detergent you might expect.
These are as follows:
? Surfactants (detergents) - these promote mixing between oil- and fat-based soil and water.
? Alkalis - these emulsify grease and adjust the pH of the water to the optimum for the other components to work
? Bleaches - these oxidise coloured substances to colourless ones
? Biosubstances - these are enzymes that break down starch- and protein-based
soils
View Quote

dishwasher water is kept at about pH 10 – significantly alkaline.

This allows the small amount of bleach to work well, but would likely damage clothes.  

The bleach used is sodium percarbonate. This is a white granular powder of formula Na2CO3.3H2O2.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:24:26 PM EDT
[#43]
No residual water to grow mold and mildew.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:56:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Op can't even keep his socks clean.  Now bitching about his dishes.  Better call for that warranty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top