Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 3:13:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Just tell them to fuck off and you'll feel better.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 3:17:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I just tell them I don't own a phone and I'm homeless.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 3:29:20 AM EDT
[#3]
It’s purely marketing. Keeping this retailers can build a profile of what you buy and target offers.  In my last job we loved free WiFi because we could define a trip for you and trips are something a lot of data comes from.  Also we can better establish a “household” to target the offers for whoever might be shopping.   Cameras that orbit shoppers are also a hotness.

Honestly though, we would be better off if the entire premise was illegal. Retailers would still be on equal footing.

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 3:31:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Metrics set by a monkey in a cubical on a random floor in a corporate building who has never set foot in a store on the front lines, yet they feel they need to verify their presence sucking oxygen in that building.

Each store has a weekly credit goal to meet, if they dont then pressure and shit all roll down hill from corporate to the district credit captain, just a random store manager in the district, who gets their ass rode by the district manager for the district failing in credit.

Then the stores hear about it and the pressure is on. I know I get weekly emails, sometimes daily about the subject, and I am not a manager, just a low life counter monkey trying to keep my numbers above water while getting yelled at and cussed out over the price of lumber, and yes I managed to sign up a few new credit accounts this month so far so the pressure is off for a few days anyway.

The fun really kicks in when the rep for the company that issues the branded credit shows up,  
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 3:39:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Cashiers, Ha that's nothing. Try being interrogated by a nurse that thinks that they are first responder and deserved extra respect while asking me my political beliefs.

WTF is up with nurses that they are somehow special and being paid to do a job like anybody else. In the last year I have never seen so many self centered conceited nurses in my life. After one talked to me like I needed to tip her I asked if she was married and her poor husband.
View Quote

Around here your average first responder is a volunteer firefighter that's literally retarded that somehow managed to pass his tax payer funded EMT-B and will argue with a nurse when the Nurse is most likely A)ore educated B) more experienced and C) not a group you want to shit talk in case you're ever on the receiving end of that transaction.  There's a reason nurses are the most respected professionals.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 3:54:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Around here your average first responder is a volunteer firefighter that's literally retarded that somehow managed to pass his tax payer funded EMT-B and will argue with a nurse when the Nurse is most likely A)ore educated B) more experienced and C) not a group you want to shit talk in case you're ever on the receiving end of that transaction.  There's a reason nurses are the most respected professionals.
View Quote

LMFAO Guess we know what you do for a living
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 3:54:25 AM EDT
[#7]
R
Quoted:
Remember back in the day trying to buy something at Radio Shack?  I'm paying cash for batteries, why do you want my address and phone number?
View Quote

Radial Snatch used to give you a free house brand alkaline cell or battery just for visiting.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 3:56:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I've never experienced cashier resentment. They ask, sometimes, like at lowe's or walgreens, I have their store rewards card, and I swipe it or get it scanned, but when I say, no, they've never batted an eye. They move on.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 4:01:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

LMFAO Guess we know what you do for a living
View Quote

Not a nurse but find the lie.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 4:59:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
867-5309
1060 W Addison
View Quote

I HATE Illinois Nazis....
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 5:07:46 AM EDT
[#11]
That is insane. You could just hang back near the register and get all
kinds of info. Women give that info up without a thought. I tell then
that I don't give that stuff out and its good. Trying to get my wife
to be more careful, but it isn't sinking in much.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 5:20:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That is insane. You could just hang back near the register and get all
kinds of info. Women give that info up without a thought. I tell them that I don't give that stuff out and its good. Trying to get my wife
to be more careful, but it isn't sinking in much.
View Quote

You don't say????

Three of my customer rewards cards are from sniping a tel # off the female customer in front of me.
I heard her give out the number, memorized it, used it right then, and tried it at 2 other local chains.

I laugh at all the people saying the tellers are "just doing their jobs". Must be ok if Corporate says so. Must be ethical because Corporate says so.

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:23:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I had a cashier in AL ask for my phone number at a convenience store recently.  For some discount or rewards.

"No thank you."

"We won't use it for spam."

"The why do you want it?"
View Quote

Are they going to call you when your fruit is out of warranty? Ask if you need a refill on your soda?
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:29:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I just say, "you don't need that" and that's the end of it. I've never had anyone get mad about it......GD has drama.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:36:50 AM EDT
[#15]
I hated my neighbors growing up.  And I knew they worked at Krogers.  And I knew their phone number.  I would use their phone number to get 10 cents off gas and their points.  Not proud of it, but it worked when I was 17.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:47:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Yep.

Miss the OLD radio shack before they turned into just another cell phone store.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:47:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Bullshit.  He is.

If I'm asked about any marketing "points" program, I say "no."

I've never had a cashier get "mad."

Or, "butthurt," "angry," "upset," or any other emotion.

Put yourself in their shoes.  You have an boss that says "ask everyone."  You do.  Many say no, some say yes.  As long as you get paid for hours worked, you're not going to get mad when most people say "no."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Agreed, OP.  

You’re not an old man yelling at clouds.

Bullshit.  He is.

If I'm asked about any marketing "points" program, I say "no."

I've never had a cashier get "mad."

Or, "butthurt," "angry," "upset," or any other emotion.

Put yourself in their shoes.  You have an boss that says "ask everyone."  You do.  Many say no, some say yes.  As long as you get paid for hours worked, you're not going to get mad when most people say "no."

I've had a few cashiers get irritated with me.  I'm nice about it, but if I'm paying cash i don't give the info.  Lowes cashiers say they have to have the info in case I want to return whatever it is I'm buying.  I get it, they have a lot of meth-maggots and heroine hoes stealing shit and trying to "return" the items for cash.  Difference is they don't have a receipt...
Again, I'm nice about it, but I don't give the info unless I'm using a credit card (for credit card verification purposes).
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:48:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Then you are giving all that with other people around you listening.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:09:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
867-5309
1060 W Addison
View Quote

Address for Wrigley Field.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:11:05 AM EDT
[#20]
I have never had a cashier get mad over that.  I always say no thanks right off the bat though.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:14:36 AM EDT
[#21]
I usually get the opposite.
They ask “Are you a member...” or “Would you like...” or something along those lines.
I say “No thank you,” and they move on.
Another one I get is, “Would you like to save...”
“No thank you.” They move on.
Never had anyone get snotty.
I always get the impression that they expect you to say “no.”
Perhaps because I’m a guy? I doubt most guys go for that stuff.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:15:20 AM EDT
[#22]
They don't need my email, either. I like playing the part of the old troglodyte in certain situations; "Oh, I don't get on the internet, my wife does all that stuff." They usually giggle and move on to just taking my money after that.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:22:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yep.

Miss the OLD radio shack before they turned into just another cell phone store.
View Quote

They are better now. They have actual shit most places don't have and they went back to a pretty full stock of components and stuff. Way less toys and bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:31:54 AM EDT
[#24]
1060 W Addison
Chicago IL

You have to add the zip code for authenticity, even though that wasn't part of the movie
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:46:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
“no thank you”

View Quote

Has always worked for me.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:54:08 AM EDT
[#26]
"I'm good"

"No thanks"

I've also given them the police chief's name and PD address.  I have never worked for the PD
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:58:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I always say "I appreciate it but I just want to make my purchase today."

It almost always gets the desired result.  Sometimes they just plow into the next question and I repeat it as needed.

Who gives a shit if they get pissy.   As soon as you walk away, they will forever forget you existed.
View Quote

This. I usually just say “no thanks, I’m all set”. And move on to whatever’s next.

The ones that bug me are gun store purchases. A couple of them by me want my phone number for any purchase - a couple mags, a knife, whatever, and while I have nothing to hide… I don’t need to give them that. And they look at me like I’m the dick for not wanting to share my info.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:16:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Years back I had moved to Iowa for a job and was back visiting my folks for Thanksgiving.

I wound up in the Eau Claire Scheels and bought something and the girl was asking for my zip.

I gave her the one where I was living and that wasn't good enough for her.  She starts in with "That's not a REAL one"

I told her that I didn't care what she put down while she was huffing and snorting about it.

Thing was , she wasn't pretty enough to have that much of an attitude......
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:18:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Phone number?

(Puzzled look from cashier)

I've had it a very long time.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:21:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I usually get the opposite.
They ask “Are you a member...” or “Would you like...” or something along those lines.
I say “No thank you,” and they move on.
Another one I get is, “Would you like to save...”
“No thank you.” They move on.
Never had anyone get snotty.
I always get the impression that they expect you to say “no.”
Perhaps because I’m a guy? I doubt most guys go for that stuff.
View Quote

Same.  I just say "No thanks", and the transaction continues normally.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:28:58 AM EDT
[#31]
I've told cashiers several things when they ask for my phone number. Sometimes I just say I know they are forced to ask but that it is still rude for them to do it. A couple of times I've told them that in my day when asked for someone's phone number it meant you were sexually interested in them. That didn't go over well.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:30:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Was at a store to buy a drier. I guess the salesmen worked on commission cause I felt like a gazelle surrounded by lions. Was pissed already cause my damn drier broke.

Got it picked out, brought up, and at checkout the girl starts with the questions.  No thanks wasn't good enough.

I said, "I just want to give you money and you give me the drier, ok?"  

Salesman moved her out of the way and said "I got this. Sorry, sir. We can do that"

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:33:15 AM EDT
[#33]
They probably get a cut of the profits.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:35:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:36:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Training and company policy tells you you have to do something or face possible disciplinary action.

Company policy angers customer so management agrees with customer.

Management then dings you on review for both annoying customers and failing to get company required information.

All this for a wage that may cover a 1 bedroom apartment and a car made in the last 20 years. With luck enough will be leftover for the huge amount of booze to forget about work daily.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

This. It's a metric that companies track and badger employees about.

If you want to make the cashier's life easier just give a fake email or whatever. I suggest [email protected].
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:39:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I always say "I appreciate it but I just want to make my purchase today."

It almost always gets the desired result.  Sometimes they just plow into the next question and I repeat it as needed.

Who gives a shit if they get pissy.   As soon as you walk away, they will forever forget you existed.
View Quote
This. I usually say, "Listen, I'm going to hand you money, and you're going to give that stuff on the belt and a receipt. That's how this works."
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:40:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:48:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Do what I do. Give them the courts address for home address.
Your name-Mike Oxlong or Barry McCaulkiner.
Email address? Give them someone you can't stand but have to correspond via email with.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:01:36 AM EDT
[#39]
OP is a heartless bastard.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 11:22:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Many moons ago I was the Pro Desk manager at Home Depot.

Management got the idea that any time  someone bought project quantities of items or items HD installed (pallet of shingles, pallet of tile, appliances, water heaters ) and didn't purchase an installation service we offered, we needed to fill out a form with the customer's info and why they weren't interested in an install.

Contractors.  At the Pro Desk.

It didn't last long when our big fish customers got legitimately pissed at being harassed to purchase installs when that's what they did for a living.

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:50:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I bought an air hammer at Harbor Freight for $12.99. They asked if I want the extra replacement insurance for $10. I just laughed. They looked at me like I was stupid.
View Quote

Stupid, stores do the same thing here. State consumer laws here state there is a four year implied warranty of merchantability on all new and used! goods sold in the state (for consumer use, used cars specifically excepted). It works, too, if you don't mind making a bit of a stink and are ready to phone the Atty General.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Maybe it's you OP. After they give me the required spiel and I say no, in my experience they just proceed with the sale.

Or maybe I just don't notice their attitude since I don't give a s**t.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:56:38 PM EDT
[#43]
"What's your zip code?"  76XXX

"What's your phone number?" NO

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:59:00 PM EDT
[#44]
A cashier who was mad and grabbed a baseball got shot.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:04:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Your number is 867-5307. Just tell them you forgot your card. Your area code plus that number works 87% of the time.
View Quote
867-5309

get it right
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:06:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
A calm but firm "I would prefer not" always works for me and I haven't noticed any upset cashiers from it.
View Quote
Strong work, Bartleby.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:06:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I just tell them I don't own a phone and I'm homeless.
View Quote

Or just ask them for their phone number.  

If they ask for a zip code I use 99762.  I figure if I buy enough stuff with that number then maybe Nome will get a Best Buy.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:16:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Never had that reaction.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:18:27 PM EDT
[#49]
They never get mad at me. I just simply say “no thanks”.

Maybe try being polite?
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:27:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
{Any area code} 555-1212
View Quote

I have that number at a restaurant in Maine.  Comrade Mills required restaurants to collect one clog or for each party for COVID contact tracing and other nefarious purposes. Waitress chucked and write it down.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top