Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/15/2021 11:01:11 PM EDT
..when I don't want to give them a bunch of information for the retailers "awards" program?

Went to Petsmart today to grab some fish food and couple other things.  I rarely shop at any pet store outside of fish food and that's maybe twice a year.  Goldfish don't eat much.

Name/Phone...Fine.

Then....Address, Email, Mother's maiden name, SSN, copy of your W2, and blood type...

Hold the F up miss, what do you need all that for? (No, I said it nicely)

Their attitude always changes like I'm the one trying to be difficult.

I know...

Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:04:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Agreed, OP.  

You’re not an old man yelling at clouds.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:05:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I always say "I appreciate it but I just want to make my purchase today."

It almost always gets the desired result.  Sometimes they just plow into the next question and I repeat it as needed.

Who gives a shit if they get pissy.   As soon as you walk away, they will forever forget you existed.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:09:18 PM EDT
[#3]

I’m tipsy and my phone speaker doesn’t work; hopefully this is the clip I was looking for.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:12:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Remember back in the day trying to buy something at Radio Shack?  I'm paying cash for batteries, why do you want my address and phone number?
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:13:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree. Are they still asking you to donate to some animal charity? I never did or appreciated that either.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:14:37 PM EDT
[#6]
You’re not respectin their self appointed authoritahhhh
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:14:47 PM EDT
[#7]
If you dont give them data, how can they mine it?
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:16:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Training and company policy tells you you have to do something or face possible disciplinary action.

Company policy angers customer so management agrees with customer.

Management then dings you on review for both annoying customers and failing to get company required information.

All this for a wage that may cover a 1 bedroom apartment and a car made in the last 20 years. With luck enough will be leftover for the huge amount of booze to forget about work daily.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:17:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Agreed, OP.  

View Quote

Agreed. Wish I could just fucking walk in, grab what I need, and pay without getting asked to join a rewards program or their dumb credit card.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:17:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a joke, maybe a decade ago (that no one laughed at!) 'welcome to McDonald's, may I have your SSN?'. On the other hand about 8 years ago I said Europe is fucked within the decade and it looks like that's happening.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:18:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
..when I don't want to give them a bunch of information for the retailers "awards" program?

Went to Petsmart today to grab some fish food and couple other things.  I rarely shop at any pet store outside of fish food and that's maybe twice a year.  Goldfish don't eat much.

Name/Phone...Fine.

Then....Address, Email, Mother's maiden name, SSN, copy of your W2, and blood type...

I know...

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/044/247/297.png

View Quote

Do what I do. Give them the courts address for home address.
Your name-Mike Oxlong or Barry McCaulkiner.
Email address? Give them someone you can't stand but have to correspond via email with.

Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:20:26 PM EDT
[#12]
867-5309
1060 W Addison
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:22:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Training and company policy tells you you have to do something or face possible disciplinary action.

Management then dings you on review for both annoying customers and failing to get company required information.

All this for a wage that may cover a 1 bedroom apartment and a car made in the last 20 years. With luck enough will be leftover for the huge amount of booze to forget about work daily.
View Quote

Pretty solid assessment.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:24:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Remember back in the day trying to buy something at Radio Shack?  I'm paying cash for batteries, why do you want my address and phone number?
View Quote
Yes i remember
Name?
Cash
Address?
Cash
After the 3rd or 4th time they didn't even bother anymore.

Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:24:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Best Buy used to do this all the time too. So one time I just used my friend's address and phone number. They asked me who I was and I gave my friend's name. They asked what my father's (friend's dad's) name was and I told them. I assume the account was under his dad's name. Then they said, "Ok with this purchase you are eligible for a $25 gift card."

I was so filled with guilt I never used the card and I carried that thing in my wallet for years. I didn't tell my friend about it until years later either.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:26:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
867-5309
1060 W Addison
View Quote
This. Just make shit up. It can be entertaining.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:28:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I just wave it off & say No, I don`t do that.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:29:43 PM EDT
[#18]
yeah here's my phone number and address and email address for robo calls and junk mail i'm definitively signing up for that. just give made up nonsense, have fun with it.

guitar center is still doing this shit too even if you're buying $10 in strings or picks.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:33:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Agreed, OP.  

View Quote

Seriously... I just want to fucking buy shit. That’s all.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:37:41 PM EDT
[#20]
I tell them my name is Sale, Cash Sale.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:38:45 PM EDT
[#21]
A calm but firm "I would prefer not" always works for me and I haven't noticed any upset cashiers from it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:48:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Your number is 867-5307. Just tell them you forgot your card. Your area code plus that number works 87% of the time.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:53:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Sometimes I just give them fake info if it's for some kind of discount otherwise I just say no thanks.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:00:19 AM EDT
[#24]
I had a Speedway clerk get pissy when I refused to sign up for their rewards card. He said the clerks depend on the money they get for signing folks up. Oh well.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:00:48 AM EDT
[#25]
I bought an air hammer at Harbor Freight for $12.99. They asked if I want the extra replacement insurance for $10. I just laughed. They looked at me like I was stupid.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:04:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Your number is 867-5307. Just tell them you forgot your code. Your area code plus that number works 87% of the time.
View Quote

Sigh...

Tommy Tutone - 867-5309/Jenny
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:06:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Cashiers are tough. They scare me.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:06:47 AM EDT
[#28]
I remember back in the day when Radio Shack used to ask for a number. I felt it was so strange and intrusive. I'm buying a single fuse, why do I need to give you my number?

Now it's so common everywhere. I still use my parents disconnected landline number for Kroger because you do actually have money having a membership. I try my best to never give out my number and rarely get sales calls because of it.

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:07:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Strange, I normally see the opposite effect. They seem happy they don't have to key all that shit in.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:07:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Agreed. Wish I could just fucking walk in, grab what I need, and pay without getting asked to join a rewards program or their dumb credit card.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Agreed, OP.  

You mean like using a self-checkout kiosk, which GD also gripes about?

GD has to be one of the most bipolar internet forums in history.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:09:41 AM EDT
[#31]
“no thank you”

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:09:47 AM EDT
[#32]
{Any area code} 555-1212
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:15:45 AM EDT
[#33]
1 April '69. I don't have a phone. I dont have an E-Mail.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:18:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Name/Phone...Fine.

I know...

View Quote

Because it’s part of their job duties.  When I worked at Macy’s, if 1.7% of all transactions didn’t result in a new credit card you could get fired over it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:20:33 AM EDT
[#35]
I just say "no thanks" to everything until they get the hint. I don't recall anyone ever getting mad at me for it but there are assholes in every profession.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:20:44 AM EDT
[#36]
In a nutshell, this is it. Customer "Rewards" signups are required as part of the employees performance reviews. Those, and "Checkout Challenge", where each employee is required to sell so much in add on purchases at the register. There are other programs as well like selling those stupid little packs of chemicals with every purchase. AutoZone called that "What It Takes To Do The Job Right", or by its acronym "WITTDTJR", pronounced "wittiger". This is the score kept on each employees add on sales. Woe be unto those with the low scores.

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:21:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Radio Shack was always a pain in the ass
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:26:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Stats. They don't give a flying fuck about your info....but if their numbers don't meet requirements, they get bitched out by their boss and lose hours.
I default to (Area Code)867-5309.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:27:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

This ^^

I try to not let it get to me as they're just doing their job. Management puts pressure on them to get your info and/or try to get you to sign up for a credit card.

I mean, remember the Wells Fargo scandal? Those jerks put so much pressure on their employees that the employees opened up credit cards w/o the consumer's consent - just to make their quotas and/or keep their jobs.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:36:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
In a nutshell, this is it. Customer "Rewards" signups are required as part of the employees performance reviews. Those, and "Checkout Challenge", where each employee is required to sell so much in add on purchases at the register. There are other programs as well like selling those stupid little packs of chemicals with every purchase. AutoZone called that "What It Takes To Do The Job Right", or by its acronym "WITTDTJR", pronounced "wittiger". This is the score kept on each employees add on sales. Woe be unto those with the low scores.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, pretty much everything that you hate dealing with as a customer is what the cashiers and salespeople get pushed the hardest to promote.

Like when every electronics store started pushing those extended warranties. Then you get some Best Buy employee asking if you want to buy a 5 year warranty on a $25 phone charger. I've had friends that worked at Best Buy and that was the biggest thing corporate pushed on employees. If you didn't sell enough, you would have an area manager personally calling you and breathing down your neck. They had to make specific quotas and you could get in a lot of trouble if you don't offer one to a secret shopper (paid shoppers that grade you and report back to corporate).
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:39:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Agreed, OP.  

View Quote

Bullshit.  He is.

If I'm asked about any marketing "points" program, I say "no."

I've never had a cashier get "mad."

Or, "butthurt," "angry," "upset," or any other emotion.

Put yourself in their shoes.  You have an boss that says "ask everyone."  You do.  Many say no, some say yes.  As long as you get paid for hours worked, you're not going to get mad when most people say "no."
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:44:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Mad? Never seen that happen.  I've seen a couple get flustered  like they aren't used to someone saying  "nope" but I've never seen any get mad.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:44:40 AM EDT
[#43]
I identify every cashier as a potential $5.00 blowjob.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:49:27 AM EDT
[#44]
I had a cashier in AL ask for my phone number at a convenience store recently.  For some discount or rewards.

"No thank you."

"We won't use it for spam."

"The why do you want it?"

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:58:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Name/Phone...Fine.

I know...

View Quote

Years ago in college I worked at Radio Shack. The computers would track each employee and how many names/addresses they entered... you had to be over 90% or you would get written up.

Trust me, they are being forced to do it, and definitely don't want to type all that crap in... cut the cashier that is making minimum wage some slack. Being rude or catching attitude isn't going to make them stop... corporate doesn't care, because most people give the info. (Like I said, it was 90%+ back in the day)

Customers would sometimes catch that attitude and have a snarky "WHY do you want that", or some other comment...it's just not polite...Just say "no thanks" and smile. They will understand and move on... or better yet, just make up some b.s. address to give them... that way their metric doesn't get screwed up.

I remember some regular customers that would give me funny names... like Mr. Bat Tery, etc.

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:21:31 AM EDT
[#46]
I started using self checkout pretty much 100% of the time because I was tired of playing 20 questions with cashiers.

I've worked retail, I know the game they have to play.  It's just annoying as hell.

It has seemed to have gotten better.  When I worked for Home Depot the cashiers were always told to try and up sell the most random shit at the register.  It was usually some trash like $2 LED keychains.  They don't seem to do that anymore.  Recently moved to a new house, was disappointed on my first trip to the local target... no self checkout.  Target used to be the worst about pushing their fucking red card or whatever it was.  Even if I just said no they had a list of rebuttals ready to go.  I was happy to find the cashiers stopped doing that at Target at some point in the last few years lol
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:46:18 AM EDT
[#47]
If it’s a good looking milf pounding them keys, do what I do when they ask for my email. I’ll look her in the eyes and say “[email protected]” or if it’s some prick pounding them keys I look him in the eyes and say “[email protected]”.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 2:02:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 2:05:09 AM EDT
[#49]
nope
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 3:11:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
You’re not respectin their self appointed authoritahhhh
View Quote

Cashiers, Ha that's nothing. Try being interrogated by a nurse that thinks that they are first responder and deserved extra respect while asking me my political beliefs.

WTF is up with nurses that they are somehow special and being paid to do a job like anybody else. In the last year I have never seen so many self centered conceited nurses in my life. After one talked to me like I needed to tip her I asked if she was married and her poor husband.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top