Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2021 8:56:17 AM EDT
The 10 commandments thread got me thinking.  Why don’t today’s Jews follow all of the rules in the Pentateuch? For example,why are burnt offerings not made?

Did God put an asterisk in the Law to mark an exception to the rule?  Or was it a decision made by men after the fact- similar to the decision in the 2nd century BC to stop saying YHWH out loud or writing English words like “God” as “G-d”?

Seems some Jews don’t even believe the Pentateuch is the divine word ?  Many don’t keep kosher or even think the Law is binding.  How can this be reconciled with Scripture?  I’d think a 3800 year religion would be able to agree on such basic tenants?
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 9:35:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not so sure the Jews have the market cornered on this sort of thing.

Link Posted: 4/9/2021 9:55:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Saying the name isn’t the same as blaspheming .  It’s interesting because there is no commandment from Elohim to never say His name.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 11:49:21 AM EDT
[#3]
3Take words with yourselves and return to the Lord. Say, "You shall forgive all iniquity and teach us [the] good [way], and let us render [for] bulls [the offering of] our lips.

Hosea 14:3

ETA: I’m not Jewish, but have wondered the same. Without the ability to render blood sacrifices they rely on prayer. From my understanding, and absolutely no disrespect is meant by my ignorance.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 11:56:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Saying the name isn't the same as blaspheming .  It's interesting because there is no commandment from Elohim to never say His name.
View Quote

That's not really the point.

The point being that as the Bible states in the Old Testament, the quote above stands....as do others.

So segmenting out Jews and animal sacrifice to the exclusion of a LOT of the Old Testament seems odd.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 1:35:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The point being that as the Bible states in the Old Testament, the quote above stands....as do others.

So segmenting out Jews and animal sacrifice to the exclusion of a LOT of the Old Testament seems odd.
View Quote

I’m not “ segmenting out Jews”.  (Singling?). They’re the only ones who are bound to Jewish laws.

Did you read the sabbath thread?   Clearly not.

But you picked up on what I’m asking anyways:

Which of the 613 commandments are ok to ignore and why?
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 3:24:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm not " segmenting out Jews".  (Singling?). They're the only ones who are bound to Jewish laws.

But you picked up on what I'm asking anyways:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not " segmenting out Jews".  (Singling?). They're the only ones who are bound to Jewish laws.

But you picked up on what I'm asking anyways:

My point is do you feel bound by the Biblical quote I posted above?

If you don't then you'll probably understand why Jews aren't sacrificing animals.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 5:25:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm anxious to see how our Jewish posters will respond to, what I think, is an interesting question.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 5:38:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Probably the same reason why virtually no Christians leave their family and forsake all their possessions to follow Jesus.

Or why there are dozens of different Protestant denominations.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 5:54:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd rather sacrifice liberals.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 7:54:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Probably the same reason why virtually no Christians leave their family and forsake all their possessions to follow Jesus.

View Quote

This isn’t about Christianity. Please see the thread references in the OP.

Quoted:
View Quote

Lol no comment
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:14:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm anxious to see how our Jewish posters will respond to, what I think, is an interesting question.
View Quote

Both of the resident experts are from NC so it’s sabbath now and they probably can’t respond.  But I’m surprised they didn’t have time to elucidate given their postings in other threads all morning and afternoon.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:49:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This isn't about Christianity. Please see the thread references in the OP.

Lol no comment
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This isn't about Christianity. Please see the thread references in the OP.

Quoted:

Lol no comment
It was an analogy. Substitute any other religion you like. The point is the same.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 10:09:12 PM EDT
[#13]
@10mm

I'd be interested to get your input here.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 10:10:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It was an analogy. Substitute any other religion you like. The point is the same.
View Quote

I understand your analogy.  

It’s not pertinent to the thread.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 10:13:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
@10mm

I'd be interested to get your input here.
View Quote

@snow_ball can probably shed some light as well
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 10:23:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I may be wrong, I'm not up on how the Jewish execute the religious ceremonies.

I think... (probably wrong) they are waiting for their "temple" to be rebuilt before they can continue their sacrifices properly.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 10:31:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I've heard this as well, but my friend who is a Sephardic Jew says it depends on the sect.

Oh, and for those who get their feelings hurt because of a lack of education, here is the definition of sect according to Merriam-Webster:

sect noun
Definition of sect (Entry 1 of 2)
1a: a dissenting or schismatic religious body
especially : one regarded as extreme or heretical
b: a religious denomination

The first one is a political definition, or how it's used in secular media.

The second is a theological definition, how it is meant here.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 10:56:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It's not pertinent to the thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not pertinent to the thread.
Ah ha. Well, I'm sure I wouldn't know anything about it

Carry on with your tremendous thread, I'm sure it'll be enlightening.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 10:56:41 PM EDT
[#19]
The short answer is Jews don't have a place to sacrifice anything after the destruction of the second temple.

As there is no current prophet then technically speaking a new temple is unable to be built.

however, "Korban" for many jews is eventually going to come back

/not jewish, just read a lot.   (ie could be wrong)
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 5:02:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The short answer is Jews don't have a place to sacrifice anything after the destruction of the second temple.

As there is no current prophet then technically speaking a new temple is unable to be built.

View Quote

Yep, no Temple no sacrifices..
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 5:19:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Animal sacrifice was to put your sins on an innocent (because it doesn't know any better) creature.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 10:52:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't think this could be the answer.  The Jews sacrificed before the 1st temple. They sacrificed in the tabernacle, or even just built altars and sacrificed.  Am I misunderstanding something?

Quoted:
The 10 commandments thread got me thinking.  Why don’t today’s Jews follow all of the rules in the Pentateuch? For example,why are burnt offerings not made?

Did God put an asterisk in the Law to mark an exception to the rule?  Or was it a decision made by men after the fact- similar to the decision in the 2nd century BC to stop saying YHWH out loud or writing English words like “God” as “G-d”?

Seems some Jews don’t even believe the Pentateuch is the divine word ?  Many don’t keep kosher or even think the Law is binding.  How can this be reconciled with Scripture?  I’d think a 3800 year religion would be able to agree on such basic tenants?
View Quote

The Jews have ALWAYS not followed all the rules of the Pentateuch.  Why?  Same reason we ALL sin against God.  

As far as burnt offering being made, I thought they DO.  Maybe not to the extent called for in the OT, but I thought sacrifices, in one form or another, ARE being made in Israel.  I could be mistaken.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 9:05:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I don't think this could be the answer.  The Jews sacrificed before the 1st temple. They sacrificed in the tabernacle, or even just built altars and sacrificed.  Am I misunderstanding something?

The Jews have ALWAYS not followed all the rules of the Pentateuch.  Why?  Same reason we ALL sin against God.  

As far as burnt offering being made, I thought they DO.  Maybe not to the extent called for in the OT, but I thought sacrifices, in one form or another, ARE being made in Israel.  I could be mistaken.
View Quote

Is there a temple...?

is there a new veil..?

who is the High Priest..?

Wasn't the sacrifices made during the Passover by the High Priest in the temple done to cleanse the Jews of their sins...??

That hasnt happened since Christ Died on the cross..  Weird right...?
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 6:08:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

My understanding is not that in orthodox Judaism they no longer believe in sacrifice, but that it has to be done in a prescribed fashion in a Temple. In the absence of a Temple and its Holy of Holies the Aaron's Priesthood  High Priests cannot  perform the sacrifices.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 6:34:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Is there a temple...?

is there a new veil..?

who is the High Priest..?

Wasn't the sacrifices made during the Passover by the High Priest in the temple done to cleanse the Jews of their sins...??

That hasnt happened since Christ Died on the cross..  Weird right...?
View Quote

Thread title asks why there aren't animal sacrifices.   I think I heard or read something that lead me to think there are some sort of sacrifices happening today.  Chill, bro.

I get it. Treaty, rebuild the temple, resume sacrifices, break the treaty, abomination that causes desolation...  Maybe that'll be coming soon.  I was never talking about that.  

I must be missing your point.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 3:01:33 PM EDT
[#26]
As multiple posters have pointed out, most modern religious Jews do not practice animal sacrifices because the place to carry them out, the temple, as been destroyed.

However, there are a minority of Jews that still practice animal sacrifice of chickens

Kapparot: modern animal sacrifice
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top