Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2021 12:16:22 PM EDT
I tried to order a Vaer solar, but they now appear to be unobtanium. Citizen and Seiko make nice solar offerings and are okay for the price, but where are the top their solar watches?

I recently ordered and received the new Seiko solar diver in 38.5 mm with sapphire crystal and ended up returning it unworn. The biggest problem was that I discovered that 38.5 is simply too small for my wrist and looks rather dainty. Besides that though, the watch was simply not up to snuff for a $400 watch. The quality of build is simply not there IMHO. Why doesn't anyone make a top tier solar?
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 12:32:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Cartier offers their Solarbeat
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 12:41:58 PM EDT
[#2]
autos are a better choice

steve
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 1:28:52 PM EDT
[#3]
You could take a look at the G-Shock MR-G line.  I'd call that pretty top tier for the market segment.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#4]
How long will they last?

Some of us have wristwatches running, capable of being serviced, parts available, parts that can be fabricated, etc. That are 75 or even a hundred years old, with tons 50 or more years old, let alone 35 or so years still capable of and being used as daily wearers.

Even high quality quartz movements, like the 7548 and 7549 are more effort to keep running.
Watches 30 or less years old with dual display, digital, kinetic movements,  etc. are even more of a hassle with unavailable parts, failing displays, failed back lights, etc.

I’m not even interested in spring drive.
I rarely get a quartz analog watch, have no plans done further dual displays, or digitals.

The quality of watches from Seiko and Citizen for a few hundred dollars, the lack of workmanship or desire to lovingly and longingly had finish every part in the movement, and overall sensation of a “soul” to a mechanical watch that can be used for generations vs a solar watch likely to be done for in a handful of decades does not really seem to create a market or desire for solar or quartz watches costing several thousands of dollars.

Link Posted: 9/15/2021 3:55:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How long will they last?

Some of us have wristwatches running, capable of being serviced, parts available, parts that can be fabricated, etc. That are 75 or even a hundred years old, with tons 50 or more years old, let alone 35 or so years still capable of and being used as daily wearers.

Even high quality quartz movements, like the 7548 and 7549 are more effort to keep running.
Watches 30 or less years old with dual display, digital, kinetic movements,  etc. are even more of a hassle with unavailable parts, failing displays, failed back lights, etc.

I’m not even interested in spring drive.
I rarely get a quartz analog watch, have no plans done further dual displays, or digitals.

The quality of watches from Seiko and Citizen for a few hundred dollars, the lack of workmanship or desire to lovingly and longingly had finish every part in the movement, and overall sensation of a “soul” to a mechanical watch that can be used for generations vs a solar watch likely to be done for in a handful of decades does not really seem to create a market or desire for solar or quartz watches costing several thousands of dollars.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/IMG_0594.heic?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/IMG_0592.heic?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
View Quote

Wow! I really dig the black citizen. I already have the other. Ref# on the bottom watch if you have it? Case size and does it have sapphire?

ETA: to answer your question, probably 25-30 years is what I've read and a $10 replacement battery once it gives out. I like mechanical watches, but no way do they compete with solar with regards to endurance and value. Not even sure why mechanical watches are even still made TBH.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 4:26:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I personally prefer autos, but I also have a Citizen Promaster Skyhawk that my wife bought me for my birthday a few years ago. Solar powered and runs like a champ even though it spends weeks at a time in the box and out of the sun.

Link Posted: 9/15/2021 6:28:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Wow! I really dig the black citizen. I already have the other. Ref# on the bottom watch if you have it? Case size and does it have sapphire?

ETA: to answer your question, probably 25-30 years is what I've read and a $10 replacement battery once it gives out. I like mechanical watches, but no way do they compete with solar with regards to endurance and value. Not even sure why mechanical watches are even still made TBH.
View Quote

The citizen is BN0195-54E,
Under 300 on Amazon or about half that on eBay if you are willing to take a watch clearance companies 2 year warranty and generic packaging.

(These watches in storerooms and distro centers often get returned for not working because they are fully dead and the stores send them back instead of setting them in sunlight for a day)

Mechanical watches are still made for the same reason Randall knives, large cubic inch carbureted engines, records (which now out sell CDs), and custom 1911s are still made.  There is a market for them.  With many people buying multiple watches, knives, classic cars, guns, etc. instead of just one.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 8:21:04 PM EDT
[#8]
A solar watch is a quartz watch.  Most people don't want to spend big money on a quartz watch.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 8:41:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Why Citizen and Bulova (Bulova being under the Citizen Group) don't team up and do an Accutron II / ECO-Drive hybrid is beyond me.

I don't wear Quartz often but when I do it is either an ECO-Drive or an Accutron II

Think of it....when made properly, the ECO-Drive can go a LONGGGGG damn time without maintenance.  The Accutrons are both ACCURATE annnd they have that sexy smooth 18bps sweep that is nearly as pretty as a Spring Drive sweep.

Tell me there isn't a place for an affordable Spring Drive competitor.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 12:42:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Tell me there isn't a place for an affordable Spring Drive competitor.
View Quote

There isn't a place for an affordable Spring Drive competitor.  

I'd think it neat too but I don't know that they'd sell enough to make it worthwhile.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 7:13:56 PM EDT
[#11]
This looks Top Tier!
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 11:08:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This looks Top Tier!
View Quote

And it does say solar on it.
Despite the automatic movement.

Hmmm….
That’s an interesting point.

Could a company market “eco conscious” lines of automatic watches like its some new, trendy, no fossil fuels, no lithium, no burning coal powered time keeping.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 3:13:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Hmmm….

Could a company market “eco conscious” lines of automatic watches like its some new, trendy, no fossil fuels, no lithium, no burning coal powered time keeping.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This looks Top Tier!

Hmmm….

Yeah, they got me. That’s some shady shit.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 3:38:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Watches don't have soul. Watches are a tool. As the saying goes, only accurate watches are interesting. I no longer wear automatics.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 6:42:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Watches don't have soul. Watches are a tool. As the saying goes, only accurate watches are interesting. I no longer wear automatics.
View Quote

That’s nice
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 11:49:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am exactly the opposite....but I wouldn't damn you for your choice....accurate IS accurate.

Me?  If I really need the time, I grab my phone.  Watches are jewelry to me....so I prefer aesthetics and history.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top