Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 2/21/2024 8:52:45 PM EDT
I passed two locations recently that owned within the last five years, and are boarded up. Bad locations or just sucky food?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 8:53:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Must be piss poor upper management.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 8:53:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Too big too fast

Just like Krispy Kreme donuts

Or just really shitty locations.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 8:55:20 PM EDT
[#3]
If I was to guess, they are burger king owned now and are all disgusting. Also inflation hitting pretty hard in the general demographic that indulges in fried chicken.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 8:55:40 PM EDT
[#4]
They don’t offer the McChicken.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 8:56:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I've seen some Bojangles closing too.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 8:57:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quality went to shit and most look disgusting inside.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 8:57:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I was to guess, they are burger king owned now and are all disgusting. Also inflation hitting pretty hard in the general demographic that indulges in fried chicken.
View Quote

that probably has a lot to do with it

2 piece box for $4.49  -- sell that all day long

when it starts hitting $8-9  --  i'm guessing that customer stops showing up
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 8:57:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Nearest Popeyes is 2 hours away.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 8:58:47 PM EDT
[#9]
The Chick-Fil-As always seem to be packed. I'm going with bad management.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 8:59:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Because they’re terrible
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:00:43 PM EDT
[#11]
For me, it’s the Filet-o-fish.  The best fast food sandwich. I even ask for extra Filet-o-fish sauce packets and the staff is so friendly and more than willing to oblige.

One time I asked for Filet-o-fish sauce packets and they gave me three. I said, “Wow, three for free!” and the nice friendly McDonald’s worker laughed and said, “I’m going to call you 3-for-free!”.

Now the staff greets me with “hey it’s 3-for-free!” and ALWAYS give me three packets. It’s such a fun and cool atmosphere at my local McDonald’s restaurant, I go there at least 3 times a week for lunch and a large iced coffee with milk instead of cream, 1-2 times for breakfast on the weekend, and maybe once for dinner when I’m in a rush but want a great meal that is affordable, fast, and can match my daily nutritional needs.

I even dip my fries in Filet-o-fish sauce, it’s delicious! What a great restaurant.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:00:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I ate at one the other day and it was $15 for two sandwiches, fries, and a cup of water, but they do have great service.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:01:51 PM EDT
[#13]
The wife unit brought home a big bag of Popeyes tonight, including a lot of their red beans and rice, a pile ofbiscuits, and a bunch of apple pies.

https://www.qsrmagazine.com/story/17-unit-popeyes-franchisee-declares-bankruptcy/
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:02:15 PM EDT
[#14]
One of the biggest franchisee went belly up last year.

The one right down the road from me was a new one that came and went.

Inconsistent, high turn over of workers, and long waiting in the drive tru.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:02:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I've found them to be very hit or miss with the quality of food as well as the staff.

Oddly, I find the ones in the more diverse areas to be better with both.

I do love a good spicy chicken sandwich from them though.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:02:51 PM EDT
[#16]
The only thing Popeyes has that's worth a shit are their chicken sandwiches and those are cooked wrong half the time.

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:03:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
For me, it’s the Filet-o-fish.  The best fast food sandwich. I even ask for extra Filet-o-fish sauce packets and the staff is so friendly and more than willing to oblige.

One time I asked for Filet-o-fish sauce packets and they gave me three. I said, “Wow, three for free!” and the nice friendly McDonald’s worker laughed and said, “I’m going to call you 3-for-free!”.

Now the staff greets me with “hey it’s 3-for-free!” and ALWAYS give me three packets. It’s such a fun and cool atmosphere at my local McDonald’s restaurant, I go there at least 3 times a week for lunch and a large iced coffee with milk instead of cream, 1-2 times for breakfast on the weekend, and maybe once for dinner when I’m in a rush but want a great meal that is affordable, fast, and can match my daily nutritional needs.

I even dip my fries in Filet-o-fish sauce, it’s delicious! What a great restaurant.
View Quote

Bravo

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:03:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:05:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wanted to enjoy their soft chicken sammich so badly, finally got there and ordered one. First big bite and the chicken was tough and stringy.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:06:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Must be piss poor upper management.
View Quote

And local management
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:08:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Every Popeyes has crap service and inconsistent food quality. They deserve it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:14:35 PM EDT
[#22]
New one being built in my area
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:15:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Tre told me it was like a changing of the guard or something
End of Watch Gangsta Barbeque Scene
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:15:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Spinach shortage?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:16:41 PM EDT
[#25]
One near me closed down a few years ago.

Their quality has always seemed highly location dependent. I went to one last year that was pretty good, but the one that was previously near me was awful.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:16:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
One of the biggest franchisee went belly up last year.

The one right down the road from me was a new one that came and went.

Inconsistent, high turn over of workers, and long waiting in the drive tru.
View Quote

Brand new one near us and this was the story.

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:17:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Maybe because they have, perhaps, the worst employees of any major fast food chain.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:17:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Never eaten at one, for what it is worth.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:17:39 PM EDT
[#29]
They got bought by burger king, it was inevitable.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:18:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Love me some Spicy Dark meat legs and thighs with red beans and rice!
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:18:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Can’t hire anyone worth a shit.  Bottom line.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:18:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Go to a Chick-fil-A, then go to a Popeyes. The answer is clear why one is successful and the other is a failure.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:20:09 PM EDT
[#33]
I've never had bad food at one, but the prices are getting ridiculous.  I'll stop if I'm traveling or have a good coupon, but I can get a 8 piece chicken dinner with sides at the local grocery store for $15.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:20:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Just opened another location by me. I guess for a fast food chicken sandwich, it's comparable to the other chains. For actual fried chicken as a meal, I wont go to a fast food place. Real chicken isnt suited for a chain restaurant. Id rather pay more to have the genuine thing. I dont want pre-cooked, pressure-cooked garbage. Give me legit, fresh, mom and pop, batter dipped, deep fried, made to order chicken.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:20:58 PM EDT
[#35]
They opened one nearby last year, I’m surprised it’s still open. It seems like something investors are opening not owner operators, there certainly doesn’t seem to be anyone in charge who gives a shit.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:21:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nearest one to me was 45 minutes away and it closed last year.  I am not sure what it is now though.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:21:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Because they let Burger-king buy them.
No more dirty rice and today they didn’t have ghost pepper wings. Lots of reasons. MF’rs.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:22:29 PM EDT
[#38]
I love Popeyes but I’m not waiting 1 hour for over priced chicken.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:22:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Because nobody wants their poverty chicken.

CFA FTW!
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:22:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Go to a Chick-fil-A, then go to a Popeyes. The answer is clear why one is successful and the other is a failure.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:23:22 PM EDT
[#41]
1) Consumers' declining disposable income
2) High franchise fees.  Franchises are designed to make money for the franchise and not the small guy who buys the franchise.  Some of the money goes for advertising/promotion but see #4.
3) High cost of goods.  Had a friend who had a Quiznos and they had to pay more for a case of water than they could get at Walmart.  Ditto with paper napkins or what not.  They pay more for ingredients and that's all profit for the parent corporation.
4) Corporate can issue coupons which franchisee must honor.  This decreases their profit.  Two for one really hurts.

The real money in opening a franchise is to get it going and then sell it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:23:44 PM EDT
[#42]
It all depends on location and staffing.   I eat Popeye's at least once a month.  Long addiction after living in New Orleans in my college days.  I met the founder Al Copeland then. He was nice but was a showboat and liked to wear his boat racing outfits to fancy restaurants. Kind of a wanna be Elvis.

Back when he was the actual full owner he had tight control but since he pushed to by Churches Chicken in an effort to be THE chicken king he lost most of his stores but still retained the spice they all had to contractually use.

Quality has gone down at many stores and last order I got had feathers on the fried spicy wings.  An 8pc box with 2 sides of mashed potatoes is getting close to $30.00.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:24:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don’t get it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:24:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Breaking lol

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:26:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I passed two locations recently that owned within the last five years, and are boarded up. Bad locations or just sucky food?
View Quote
Cuz Popeyes is nothing but unhappiness and tears!

And sadness!

Lots of sadness!
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:27:32 PM EDT
[#46]
They stopped selling the Cajun Rice.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:27:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

That reflects the quality of their (now overpaid) low skilled workers.

Robots would be an improvement. ??
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:27:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

2 minutes for me!
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:28:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Both of the ones here shut down a year or so ago. The nearest one to me always had terrible staffing problems. Not sure if they just paid shitty or what, as other fast food places in the area seem to be doing fine. The other one is now a Dave's Hot Chicken, which is pretty good and always busy.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:29:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is no comparison.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top