Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/15/2024 5:30:35 PM EDT

Those people 18 and over are expected to be adults and take on adult responsibilities. They are held accountable for their actions.  At 18 a male must register with Selective Service, and join the military. They can entered into contracts and make their own decisions about for their lives and how to live. However, people 18-21 don’t have the same privileges that a person over 21 has.

Can’t purchase or even possess alcohol in most states.  Some places won’t even let people under 21 inside.  This is age discrimination. (I even say that if a person can’t legally buy or possess alcohol then they should be exempt from DUI check points.)  

Denied the right to purchase a handgun/pistol and handgun ammo to be used in a pistol from a FFL

Extended wait and hold times when purchasing a long gun from a FFL when the background check is conducted through NICS.  This happens because the government says so, and not for any other reason.

There might be other denied privileges as well.  This is what springs to mind.

I say that a person is an adult or not.  None of this pro-rated stuff.  A person 18-21 should not be subject to the same laws as people over 21 until they get the same privileges and rights as every other adult. Until the day happens that adults under 21 have every right and privileges as those over 21, then they are second class citizens in this country.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:32:15 PM EDT
[#1]
You should call Bill.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:34:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CryptoMan] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:
You should call Bill.
View Quote

Who is Bill?

What is his number?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:34:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Life isn't fair, get used to it.

It also doesn't have to make sense.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:35:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By packinheavy:

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:36:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Because they are children. The human brain isn’t fully developed until the mid 20s
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:37:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By CryptoMan:

(I even say that if a person can’t legally buy or possess alcohol then they should be exempt from DUI check points.)  

View Quote

Interesting
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:38:47 PM EDT
[#7]
lol
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:39:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:39:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Old enough to make adult decisions, still too young to leave the stupid kid decisions behind?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:39:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By BB:
Because they are children. The human brain isn’t fully developed until the mid 20s
View Quote

Then they should be treated as such.  That also means not allowing them in the military or having to sign up for the draft.  Also can't be charged as adults for any crime.  From petty theft of stealing a candy bar to Murder
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:40:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Because the people making the rules are mostly over 21.

Frankly I think it’s BS too.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:40:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:41:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Government.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:41:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

I was an infantry platoon commander when I was 20.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BB:
Because they are children. The human brain isn't fully developed until the mid 20s

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:41:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Bud:

Interesting
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bud:

(I even say that if a person can’t legally buy or possess alcohol then they should be exempt from DUI check points.)  

Interesting

I think DUI checkpoints violate the 4th amendment anyway.  That is whole other thread
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:42:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By BB:
View Quote

So, by your logic, they ( 18-20 year olds) should be barred from military service where they will have their under developed brains trained to kill, until at least 21 if not their mid 20s.

Right?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:42:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Boomers reflected on all the joys of adulthood in their 18-21 years and then came into power and made a bunch of laws so it'd be illegal for anyone who came after them to do all the fun things they did
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:42:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Then they should be treated as such.  That also means not allowing them in the military or having to sign up for the draft.  Also can't be charged as adults for any crime.  From petty theft of stealing a candy bar to Murder
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BB:

Once the brain is fully developed they're really not all that suitable for the military.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:43:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:43:43 PM EDT
[#20]
It is to permanently implant into your brain that the US government can fuck with you and you can't do a damn thing about it.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:44:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By CZRider:
Boomers reflected on all the joys of adulthood in their 18-21 years and then came into power and made a bunch of laws so it'd be illegal for anyone who came after them to do all the fun things they did
View Quote

I knew some renter would come along and blame it on boomers.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:44:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Interesting points. An adult should be an adult across the board, no cutting off your dick until 18. Have legal beer and an exacto knife, good luck stevette.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:44:53 PM EDT
[#23]

This.

The OP is correct that it doesn't make sense.  You can start driving at 16 in most states, but you have to be 21 to rent a car, even though you can totally buy one when you are 18.
View All Quotes

This.

The OP is correct that it doesn't make sense.  You can start driving at 16 in most states, but you have to be 21 to rent a car, even though you can totally buy one when you are 18.

You can buy a car at any age!  I bought a basket case at 14yo to restore.... finished it when I was around 19yo
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:45:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Because our government is hypocritical.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:45:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:
Government.
View Quote

Only they are capable of such irony….
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:46:17 PM EDT
[#26]

I was also a teenager in a country with no drinking age.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BB:
Because they are children. The human brain isn't fully developed until the mid 20s

It's amazing your homeland hasn't imploded yet.

The maturity and decision making skills varies greatly amongst my younger troops. There are a few 18 to 21 year olds I trust completely.  But I also have some in there 30s that require intense supervision.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:46:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By BB:
View Quote

@BB

So, you support child soldiers?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:47:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By BB:
View Quote
You only get children if you raise children.

If you don't start out with the mindset to raise adults, then you won't end up with adults.
Your plan may not always work out as planned, but it will *always* fail if you didn't have a plan to begin with.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:48:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:49:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:
Government.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:49:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By BB:
View Quote

I think you are very low on your age.

Have you seen the old ass fucking retarded libs?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

…dad? Is that you?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:50:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:50:27 PM EDT
[#35]
I bet a lot of them don't vote.  So they don't get pandered to.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:51:01 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

It's amazing to watch the disciples of boomertardianism shit in every thread no matter the topic.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:51:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Insurance company profits.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Joe_Pennsy:

It's amazing to watch the disciples of boomertardianism shit in every thread no matter the topic.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Joe_Pennsy:

It's like their Superpower.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:52:31 PM EDT
[#39]

Denmark is getting erady to institute (limited) conscription for women.  Equal rights for everyone, bitches!!  
View Quote

As much as I am against conscription in any form, if it is going to be done then everyone should be.  Young to old, men, women, and every it in between.  Yes that includes government employees, officials and their families.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:52:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By McGuy:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By McGuy:

You know Adam and Eve were Boomers, right?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:53:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By ManMan:

@BB

So, you support child soldiers?
View Quote

Nope
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:53:51 PM EDT
[#42]

Denmark is getting erady to institute (limited) conscription for women.  Equal rights for everyone, bitches!!  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BB:

It's amazing your homeland hasn't imploded yet.

The maturity and decision making skills varies greatly amongst my younger troops. There are a few 18 to 21 year olds I trust completely.  But I also have some in there 30s that require intense supervision.

Nice!
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:54:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fishing_cabin] [#43]
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:
You should call Bill.
View Quote

Or Marco.... Seriously been going on a long time. Try being a young vol firefighter or vol squad at 16.  When I started at the FD they didn't pay in to the retirement system for the first several years.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:54:37 PM EDT
[#44]

I was thinking more along the lines of buying a new car from a dealership - which would normally require a legal contract, which many states do not allow someone under 18 to entre into.

But yeah, you are 100% correct that someone under 18 can presumably buy a used car in a private sale pretty easily.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ManMan:

This.

You can buy a car at any age!  I bought a basket case at 14yo to restore.... finished it when I was around 19yo

I was thinking more along the lines of buying a new car from a dealership - which would normally require a legal contract, which many states do not allow someone under 18 to entre into.

But yeah, you are 100% correct that someone under 18 can presumably buy a used car in a private sale pretty easily.  

Sorry, that's a pet peeve of mine - especially when it applied against fun control.  "You have a to have a DL, insurance& registration to buy a car"   The fuck you do - give cash, get keys!  That's it... nothing else required.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Blind_Squirrel:

dad? Is that you?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Blind_Squirrel:

dad? Is that you?
Maybe, didn't think my son was a member here.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:56:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K30MuleLAR15] [#46]
If they have not figured out that classism exists in America they must believe the government.

Half of America has the brain function of a 10 year old. How else would they understand what demoncrats say.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:57:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By BB:
View Quote

I'm a firm believer that this attitude is a significant contributor to all the stereotypical issues seen in millennials and younger generations. Turns out if you treat someone like a child straight through from cradle to college and condition them to just take tests and go to school and do as they're told you'll get a fragile and anxious mess of a human being who only knows how to latch onto some kind of authority figure and follow instructions.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Because you aren't paying all the costs to be the boss.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:59:28 PM EDT
[#49]

18 year olds shouldn't be allowed to vote until they are 21.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:00:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#50]
Well, as with most things it was the suburban white women Karens. Known as MADD during those years.

Real good at girl bossing shit into retard levels.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top