Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2020 2:08:15 PM EDT
This is my first deployment as a Nasty-Girl, my other two were while in Active Duty. I’m currently in AFG. My LES is still showing that Federal and State taxes are still being taken out. My unit seems to believe this is ok, and will at some point be reimbursed for what taxes we have had taken out of our pay.

Can someone who has recently deployed in the NG component please chime in?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:32:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: skinny79] [#1]
Don't sweat it, you'll see them refunded on your next end of month LES.

ETA: Any reason why you didn't just believe your unit?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:53:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Because fuck admin.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:06:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 5:05:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank god your not DOD civilian! Each deployment, I average 35K a year taken out of my pay. Military, NG and contractors are mostly tax free.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 5:42:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
That’s your 1 shop hosing everyone by not doing whatever it is that they do to code your pay at CZTE.

They should have had it set as soon as you crossed the proverbial berm.

As an aside, if you care, your TSP limit while deployed is a total of $57k ($63k if >50) from all sources (which includes matching if your blended).

If you want to go over the normal $19.5k limit, you will have to tell DFAS (several times) that you are deployed and not to stop your contributions at the normal limit.
View Quote

That's an issue between Kuwait Gateway and the Unit. Once your ID Card is swiped at Arifjan gateway then changes to your pay should take effect.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 12:35:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I gotta wonder how many of you guys responding are in the Guard and have deployed with the Guard.

I'm here with NC, SC, WV, and OH, among others. For Guard, taxes come and get refunded the next month. Been that way for a decade at least, if memory serves. And yes, the guys who had deployed while on active duty before joining the Guard were startled.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 5:19:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 5:24:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 5:31:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: skinny79] [#9]

That’s the lazy way.

Why not do right by your soldiers?

Sure, they will get their $ back in a subsequent paycheck but why go through that when you don’t have to.

I always think of the PFC who might have left a higher paying job and is barely getting by:  “oh, you’ll get your $ credited back in a couple of months...maybe a few...but eventually anyway.”
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By skinny79:
I gotta wonder how many of you guys responding are in the Guard and have deployed with the Guard.

I'm here with NC, SC, WV, and OH, among others. For Guard, taxes come and get refunded the next month. Been that way for a decade at least, if memory serves. And yes, the guys who had deployed while on active duty before joining the Guard were startled.

That’s the lazy way.

Why not do right by your soldiers?

Sure, they will get their $ back in a subsequent paycheck but why go through that when you don’t have to.

I always think of the PFC who might have left a higher paying job and is barely getting by:  “oh, you’ll get your $ credited back in a couple of months...maybe a few...but eventually anyway.”

So have you deployed while in the Guard?

Or have you worked in S1?

If there's a different way for the Guard, then I'm curious, as I've only seen it done the way the OP describes.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 1:20:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the input, guys. On a side note, is a civilian clothing allowance suppose to be paid at the end of the deployment, or up front before arriving in theater? We were told at the end we would receive it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 1:41:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Depending on when you got in country, it likely hasn't been processed before the LES cut off.
It'll get reimbursed and the taxable income to date will be adjusted on your next LES.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 1:42:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By arcfootball17:
Thanks for the input, guys. On a side note, is a civilian clothing allowance suppose to be paid at the end of the deployment, or up front before arriving in theater? We were told at the end we would receive it.
View Quote

You should do a close out travel claim at the end of deployment where all accounts, entitlements, pays and taxes are reconciled.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 3:59:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I deployed to Afghanistan in 2011 as an individual unit deployer.
I was a Texan in the Iowa guard, falling in on a South Dakota guard unit waiting for my assigned mass hole guard unit to get there.
I expected my pay to be jacked up for 3 -4 months and only actually got it messed up for 3 month.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 9:04:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By skinny79:

View Quote

What BN you with?
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 10:01:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Get yourself setup in the savings deposit program if/when eligible.

I put in the full 10k every time I deployed. Risk free 10% Return, you would be an idiot not to do it.

https://militarypay.defense.gov/Benefits/Savings-Deposit-Program/

Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:44:29 PM EDT
[#16]
It comes out and is put back the next month. Yes it’s retarded. Welcome to the Army.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 5:47:51 PM EDT
[#17]
That’s your 1 shop hosing everyone by not doing whatever it is that they do to code your pay at CZTE.

They should have had it set as soon as you crossed the proverbial berm.

As an aside, if you care, your TSP limit while deployed is a total of $57k ($63k if >50) from all sources (which includes matching if your blended).

If you want to go over the normal $19.5k limit, you will have to tell DFAS (several times) that you are deployed and not to stop your contributions at the normal limit.
View Quote

Glad I found this thread.  NG and currently deployed.  Taxes are taken out but then given back the following month.

My question is about TSP since I've never gotten to use it before:  For tax purposes it counts against the same 19.5k bucket as a 401k or 403b.  Before I left to deploy, I had already filled my civilian 403b up to 19.5k (and it has done well in the market given the timing).  Any useful way I can still take advantage of the tax free money into the Roth TSP?  Rollover backdoor roth?  Keep the extra 37.5k in the TSP?  I haven't found a person yet, in finance or otherwise who can help.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 5:54:38 PM EDT
[#18]
My last trip was in 09, and as mentioned, you got your shit back next month.
Our clothing allowance, as also mentioned came at the end.  
It's like your PDMRA/accrued leave will get paid out after you're home.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 5:56:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By superior:

Glad I found this thread.  NG and currently deployed.  Taxes are taken out but then given back the following month.

My question is about TSP since I've never gotten to use it before:  For tax purposes it counts against the same 19.5k bucket as a 401k or 403b.  Before I left to deploy, I had already filled my civilian 403b up to 19.5k (and it has done well in the market given the timing).  Any useful way I can still take advantage of the tax free money into the Roth TSP?  Rollover backdoor roth?  Keep the extra 37.5k in the TSP?  I haven't found a person yet, in finance or otherwise who can help.
View Quote

Granted, it's been a while, but you should be able to to manage roth contribution thru mypay.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 3:02:33 PM EDT
[#20]
thats how my pay was all last year while deployed, taken then re-imbursed. I swore on my first deployment (NG attached to AD) that they just never took it out
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 6:59:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#21]
Originally Posted By Quarterback55:
Thank god your not DOD civilian! Each deployment, I average 35K a year taken out of my pay. Military, NG and contractors are mostly tax free.
View Quote

As a contractor I get a shit load of Federal and State taxes taken out.  If I do 330 days out of 365 outside the US, then I can claim Foreign Earned Income Exclusion under IRS Pub 54.  More then 35 days in the states a year then I lose my tax break.   I still pay taxes at a higher tax bracket over that yearly limit.

CD  
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 12:15:02 AM EDT
[#22]
They make the switch retroactively, after you are in theater, because sometimes people who are supposed to deploy don't make it. (Transport Delay, Missing Movement, pregnancy, medical, emergency, etc)

It is easier to make you wait then to find and correct pay discrepancies later.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:42:53 PM EDT
[#23]
You should get another LES on the 5th of the following month with the taxes refunded to you.  Apparently the DFAS computer on the RC side is not capable of deleting the withdrawal, but can do an automatic refund.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top