Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:48:30 AM EDT
[#1]
GD has some dumb people here.  Expecting a business to eat an expense like doc fees, gas, lights or whatever.  No business eats any expense.  Ever.  If they want to stay in business.  ALL expenses and cost of doing business are passed to the consumer.  ALL.  It’s just a manner of how they do it and the transparency.  Damn.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
GD has some dumb people here.  Expecting a business to eat an expense like doc fees, gas, lights or whatever.  No business eats any expense.  Ever.  If they want to stay in business.  ALL expenses and cost of doing business are passed to the consumer.  ALL.  It’s just a manner of how they do it and the transparency.  Damn.  
View Quote

I take issue with them adding expenses that we didn’t agree to, like an alarm I didn’t ask for or want
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:56:57 AM EDT
[#3]

and spelling is for faggots. Wouldn't it have been easier just to fix your thread title to say "doc".
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:00:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Fucking processing fees are bullshit, but unfortunately part of buying a vehicle. nowadays. I just see it as part of the overall price consideration. If your buying something super common, there is a shit ton more room negotiating. Buying somethign harder to get or with more options? Expect to get little off. It's just the market with insane used prices. I just made a deal on a used 19 Yukon Denali. I only got $500 off asking since it was a fair deal compared to others on the market and it took some of the sting out of the ridiculous $789 processing fee. It's not worth me spending another week searching for a comparable vehicle.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:01:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I take issue with them adding expenses that we didn’t agree to, like an alarm I didn’t ask for or want
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s fair enough because that’s close to fraud.  I’m referring more to legitimate expenses within the business they have to pass on.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:05:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
... We are a family owned dealership ...

... Sure we profit on a doc fee, but how would a business stay operational if it did not make any money?
View Quote

Walton or Manson?

Ask Jeff of Elon, they ran businesses at a loss to become the world's richest men.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:08:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In Texas they set a maximum Document Fee of $150.
View Quote

Max doc in WA is also $150. Can not mark it up. Funny part is while local buyers liked to complain about it, the out of state buyers would all comment how low the WA doc was, and happily pay it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:10:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I understand your point, but doc fees are required. Dealers have to charge them and everyone has to pay them.  Even if someone says they didn't, they HAD to pay it, it will show on the paperwork. They just take it off the price. It has to be broke down and show on the purchase agreement, otherwise the dealer can get in a world of shit.
View Quote

Required by who?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:16:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Required by who?
View Quote

Dealers Association.

They are not afraid to fine dealers or worse yet yank a dealers license if your not following regulations.

Even trying to get a dealers license these days is difficult. 15 years ago it was 100x easier.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Dealers Association.

They are not afraid to fine dealers or worse yet yank a dealers license if your not following regulations.

Even trying to get a dealers license these days is difficult. 15 years ago it was 100x easier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Required by who?

Dealers Association.

So dealers require that dealers charge a dealers fee?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:18:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Required by who?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand your point, but doc fees are required. Dealers have to charge them and everyone has to pay them.  Even if someone says they didn't, they HAD to pay it, it will show on the paperwork. They just take it off the price. It has to be broke down and show on the purchase agreement, otherwise the dealer can get in a world of shit.

Required by who?

Required by the General Manager.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:19:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol at the idea that document fees are some sort of transparency initiative, rather than a manipulative sales technique designed to squeeze a little more profit out of a customer after agreeing on a price.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:21:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You are way wrong, but that's fine. Feel free to look up all my posts regarding car buying.  I have nothing to hide and nothing to lie about. Been in the business for 21 years.  I have done everything from Mechanic, to Sevice Manger, to Sales, to Finance Manager, to General Manager and most recently now a Owning Partner.  People make the car business way more complicated than it is.  Obviously you don't own a business or know how one works. And on top of it, most places wouldn't try to sell you a vehicle with a attitude like that. That's why customers with your attitude get blown off, ignored, they won't negotiate or even just tell you no. Dealers will save the effort for customers that actually will benefit they're business (not necessarily monetarily).  Chances are if you have your attitude, your not going to recommend people to come to my dealership no matter what, you are not going to spend money for service, you are not going to mention me.  In fact, no matter what your ALWAYS going to have a chip on your shoulder, no matter what or how far I try to make you happy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Horseshit. It's another incoming line item for the dealer's pocket. Nothing more.

You don't pay a "stock boy fee" or a "bookkeeper fee" at the grocery store. You're passing on a cost of doing business because you know once people have gotten that far in the deal they'll swallow it.

It's like the jagoffs that have a "rehoming fee" on Craigslist for their dog. It's not a rehoming fee. It's the price. You're selling your dog. If calling it something different makes you feel less guilty about that, you're not intelligent.

That said, most dealerships have doc fees for used cars and most won't budge on it. All the YouTube channels say to get the dealer to drop the doc fee. I've sold cars two different places, and those places had a total of 7 dealerships under their management, and they wouldn't give an inch on the doc fee. They MIGHT (I've seen it once or twice) take that amount off the price of the car, but if they do it's money you could have gotten off just by negotiating.

It's just one of the reasons people believe car dealers are lying scum. Which in my opinion (having worked at one two different times) is always at least somewhat true. Even the "good ones" have a layer of the corruption, lying, and theft baked into their psyche if they've survived long enough to reach management or even be a successful salesmen. Scum.

You are way wrong, but that's fine. Feel free to look up all my posts regarding car buying.  I have nothing to hide and nothing to lie about. Been in the business for 21 years.  I have done everything from Mechanic, to Sevice Manger, to Sales, to Finance Manager, to General Manager and most recently now a Owning Partner.  People make the car business way more complicated than it is.  Obviously you don't own a business or know how one works. And on top of it, most places wouldn't try to sell you a vehicle with a attitude like that. That's why customers with your attitude get blown off, ignored, they won't negotiate or even just tell you no. Dealers will save the effort for customers that actually will benefit they're business (not necessarily monetarily).  Chances are if you have your attitude, your not going to recommend people to come to my dealership no matter what, you are not going to spend money for service, you are not going to mention me.  In fact, no matter what your ALWAYS going to have a chip on your shoulder, no matter what or how far I try to make you happy.
I don't give a fuck about what fees you do or do not have to incur. That's the cost of doing business. This is just part of the oldschool entrenched dealer mentality that put rules/regulations in place in each state to their benefit.

Cars might be a bigger purchase but they're still a commodity. My price = your material costs + G&A + Overhead + profit. Done. I don't fucking care. Your paperwork should be part of your cost of doing business.

The fact I still have to negotiate with a middleman on a god damn appliance in 2021 is fucking infuriating.

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:23:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I remember back in the 1970s when dealers here in VA started adding a $15 "processing fee" to the cost of a car.
Of course every time I bought another car, the processing fee was higher than it was the last time. On the last car that I bought, the processing fee was $899.
The dealer also tacked on a $1K fee to the price of all used cars, calling it a "reconditioning fee".
It should be noted that neither of these two "fees" are included in the sales price, so the salesman gets no part of either of them.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:23:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Walton or Manson?

Ask Jeff of Elon, they ran businesses at a loss to become the world's richest men.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
... We are a family owned dealership ...

... Sure we profit on a doc fee, but how would a business stay operational if it did not make any money?

Walton or Manson?

“Family owned” and “treated like family” are two different things. Most dealerships are owned by big dealer groups. We are one dealership owned by one family.

“At a loss” not sure how that works so I cannot really comment. Wish I had that money though.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:29:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

“Family owned” and “treated like family” are two different things. Most dealerships are owned by big dealer groups. We are one dealership owned by one family.

“At a loss” not sure how that works so I cannot really comment. Wish I had that money though.
View Quote

Margin, turnover, leverage. They sold at a loss to grow.

If you are going to treat me like family I will leave immediately!
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:46:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That is why I always ask for the total amount, before buying.
View Quote

So tell me, what do you want your payment to be?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:49:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The only number that really matters is the final price out the door.  You shop around until you find the best one.
View Quote

This exactly. I have been shooping for trucks for my employer and I tell every dealer this is the only price that matters. How you get there is on you.  Everyone is selling the same truck
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:52:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Wrong.

Doc Fees are legit, they vary from state to state. Some states have a minimum and a maximum.  They are the fee's associated with title processing and paperwork. Mine are 100.00. Most dealers charge 150-250. Sadly some dealers use it as a profit center and charge upwards of $500.00.  Dealers don't just go down to the DMV and wait in line like a normal person. They have a separate person that handles their titling. Sometimes there are a dozen or more titles. The customers at the DMV would not be happy waiting for a dozen titles or more to get processed.
View Quote

Bullshit. Title and tag in Georgia is $38 , $20 for the tag $18 for the title. Taxes are based on the value of the truck
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:00:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Demand a Buyer's Discount for same amount and see what happens. When they laugh walk out.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:04:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Demand a Buyer's Discount for same amount and see what happens. When they laugh walk out.
View Quote

Or a documentation fee for the paperwork they have you fill out.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:05:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Because dealers are like a 17 yr old boy around a girl they heard is a whore.  They try to fuck you every chance they get.  

Wait, I mean they try to scrape by and hope they can make enough money to keep the lights on........
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:06:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Wrong.

Doc Fees are legit, they vary from state to state. Some states have a minimum and a maximum.  They are the fee's associated with title processing and paperwork. Mine are 100.00. Most dealers charge 150-250. Sadly some dealers use it as a profit center and charge upwards of $500.00.  Dealers don't just go down to the DMV and wait in line like a normal person. They have a separate person that handles their titling. Sometimes there are a dozen or more titles. The customers at the DMV would not be happy waiting for a dozen titles or more to get processed.
View Quote

So why is it not part of the price? What you are saying is the price is not the price. That seems deceptive. How did the paperwork get done before the smoke and mirrors game started?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:09:39 PM EDT
[#24]
No idea. Last new truck I bought I asked the salesman (also is the owner) to come up with a total price of whatever he wanted to call it. Few minues later he had a slip of paper with the price. I walked across the street to the bank and that was it. I drove it home and he delivered the new license plate to the house a week later. He was happy to get rid of a 1/2 ton 4wd that wasn't a crew cab diesel that been on the lot a while during a fracling boom when everyone had to buy a new $60k truck.

Signed like 3 things. One of them was that XM wasn't availble in my area due to no cell phone coverage. I looked it up 6 months later and the trade in price was less than I paid for it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:13:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If they want to deal, they will deal.  My deal was two states away and that place had trucks actually on the lot and were talking.  I had few trucks at local places that were dealing.   Closest one has "fixed" everybody gets our best deal price.  That didn't work for me.   I got a better equiped truck for less in a better color elsewhere.

View Quote
Where will you take it for warranty work, the dealer closest to you or the one you bought it from? The dealers I worked at, any time there was a questionable large repair being covered under warranty the first question the service manager would ask was "Did they buy the vehicle from us?". if they did, the service manager would go to bat for them, if not it usually got turned down and the customer told to either pay for it themselves, take it back to the dealer they bought it from or call the manufacturer's district rep and battle it out with them.

So while it might be worth it to buy from out of state if you're saving thousands, there are some benefits from buying from the dealer who's going to be servicing it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:18:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

A vehicle has to have tires for the customer to drive it off the lot, but there’s no tire fee. It’s assumed that it’s included in the advertised price of the car.

Again, no one is arguing that dealerships don’t spend money to process paperwork or have overhead. We’re all saying it’s stupid to advertise the vehicle at once price and then tack on an extra fee for something you have to do to every vehicle to sell it.

I don’t go to a grocery store and pick out $50 worth of groceries and then pay a $5 fee to have a cashier ring me up... because they have to ring me up to complete the sale and it’s included in the price of the items.

There is absolutely no reason for a dealership to charge a separate line item for paperwork that is not optional and is required to complete the sale. It’s simply a means of cutting a couple hundred off the advertised price while still collecting it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:21:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The only number that really matters is the final price out the door.  You shop around until you find the best one.
View Quote

This is how I negotiate.  The funny thing is they always reduce the sales price so that the full 'dealer fee' and 'doc fee' can be added to the otd price.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:21:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Maybe I am just a little different, but I don’t look at OTD cost/price.

I figure in my down payment + (monthly payment X 60 months) = total overall price.

Then compare that to the sticker price.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This^
Set an out the door cost and stick to it.

Maybe I am just a little different, but I don’t look at OTD cost/price.

I figure in my down payment + (monthly payment X 60 months) = total overall price.

Then compare that to the sticker price.

Trying to understand: you're comparing the down payment plus monthly payments that include interest with the sticker price? WTF?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:23:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

So tell me, what do you want your payment to be?
View Quote

I've played that game before too.

It's not hard because they usually get a kickback from the financing too.

The only two ways to buy a vehicle are:

On the road/out the door price.

X dollars for Y months.

How the dealer gets there on the paperwork is their problem.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:23:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nobody is asking them to eat the cost. People are asking them to include it in the price rather than tack it on after negotiating a price.

They may as well tack on extra charges for the janitor, electric bill, rent, etc.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#31]
I used to have a small used car lot. We charged a doc fee. Yes, it was a way to bump the price. However in CO, if you charged one person a doc fee, legally you had to charge it to everyone. That’s why most dealers will not negotiate on their doc fee. They are legally obligated to collect it.

As others have said, if it’s a good out the door price buy it, if not walk. No reason to get butthurt about it. ?????
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:25:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The best deals I have gotten came from internet sales guys and vehicles that high volume dealerships got in on a trade prior to sales prep. A broken cup holder and a dented plastic front bumper cover got me $1000 under KBB. Fixed it with a heat gun and $30 replacement cup holder on Amazon. Got my wife a car for almost $2k under KBB because they were going to have to do a repaint on the trunk.
View Quote

It's been thirty years or more since I bought a car from a dealer. Here is just one reason why. I don't pay a Cashier fee at the grocery store, or a Happy meal fee when I take my grandson to McDonalds. I don't pay a Pill Counter fee when I pickup a prescription nor a Dishwashing fee when I go out to eat. I don't even pay a fee when I take money out of my IRA. It is deceptive to me and I won't play that game.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:25:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Dealers Association.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Required by who?

Dealers Association.

Dealers Association controls licensing? Like the fox guarding the henhouse! Maybe different in other places but here in WI licenses for everything are issued by the State.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:32:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Dealers Association controls licensing? Like the fox guarding the henhouse! Maybe different in other places but here in WI licenses for everything are issued by the State.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Required by who?

Dealers Association.

Self licking ice cream cones are the tastiest.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:52:16 PM EDT
[#35]
If someone tried to charge me a dock fee I'd remind them it's a car not a boat.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:55:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Negotiate the bottom line, tell them you don't care where they take the money off as long as the bottom line is at or below the number you're looking for. If the number is higher walk away or decide if your number is unreasonable and adjust accordingly.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:58:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Lol.

Even if they knock the Doc fee off (if they can, varies by state) they'll just find another place to add it on or bury it on the back end.

For every "smart" buyer out there, there is a dealer that has been in business a lot longer.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:07:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

So why is it not part of the price? What you are saying is the price is not the price. That seems deceptive. How did the paperwork get done before the smoke and mirrors game started?
View Quote

Not part of the price because it is a fee associated with purchasing. Not the process of the vehicle.  Paperwork has to have the price and then every fee listed. You can negotiate on the road to whatever. Still has to be broken down on the paper work.   There is no smoke and mirrors. It is the same for every dealer, including carmax and carvana.   Plus many dealers won't do the fees for other states, and every state has a different tax, ect. It evens varies withing states.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:11:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Bullshit. Title and tag in Georgia is $38 , $20 for the tag $18 for the title. Taxes are based on the value of the truck
View Quote

Every dealer will have a doc fee. Period. And fees vary from state to state.  Title fee is 25.00 here, lien fee is 10.00, plates vary on the age and price of the vehicle (1% of the base MSRP when new).

So I guess I don't understand your point.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:16:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
my BMW dealer tried that shit with me and iirc it was $425

and this is a dock op
http://www.vwdocks.com/_managedFiles/photoGallery/large/1497453953.jpg
View Quote

That is a nice dock.   What are those pipe caps called?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:30:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

It is the state. Here it is the DOT and IADA or IIADA.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:34:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Not part of the price because it is a fee associated with purchasing. Not the process of the vehicle.  Paperwork has to have the price and then every fee listed. You can negotiate on the road to whatever. Still has to be broken down on the paper work.   There is no smoke and mirrors. It is the same for every dealer, including carmax and carvana.   Plus many dealers won't do the fees for other states, and every state has a different tax, ect. It evens varies withing states.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can rationalize it any way you want but, if it is coming out of my pocket; it IS part of the price. How can you deny that it is not? As others have said: the only thing that matters is the bottom line, out the door, price. In other words; the total acquisition cost.

If a dealer want to consider clerical costs as a separate line item for bookkeeping purposes; whatever, that is an internal matter. But to push it onto the customer as an "after sale" add-on is, IMO, total BS. I'm not aware of any other industry that has that practice. And it just adds to the "sleazy car sales" image.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:42:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Trying to understand: you're comparing the down payment plus monthly payments that include interest with the sticker price? WTF?
View Quote

After 60 months ....or 72 months...or 84 months...,(I could swear I saw a thread here in GD saying that Ford was offering 120 month loans)

What is the total amount you are paying for that vehicle (to finally get that title in your hand)?

What is so hard to understand about that?

It still is and will all eventually be money out of your pocket.... right?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#44]
The question is why does a dealer expect me to be ok with them raising the price after we agree on a deal? Figure that shit into the price before we shake hands. One of the reasons I dislike car dealerships and think they're sleazy.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:56:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

and spelling is for faggots. Wouldn't it have been easier just to fix your thread title to say "doc".
View Quote

Better yet....use "document."
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:57:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. I don’t care how they spend my money. I just care that the OTD price is what I want. Makes negotiation a whole lot easier.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:02:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:03:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You can rationalize it any way you want but, if it is coming out of my pocket; it IS part of the price. How can you deny that it is not? As others have said: the only thing that matters is the bottom line, out the door, price. In other words; the total acquisition cost.

If a dealer want to consider clerical costs as a separate line item for bookkeeping purposes; whatever, that is an internal matter. But to push it onto the customer as an "after sale" add-on is, IMO, total BS. I'm not aware of any other industry that has that practice. And it just adds to the "sleazy car sales" image.
View Quote

You have to consider that vehicles are regulated. Price vs total cost are two different things. Buying stuff at the store has a price, the receipt shows the total cost (tax).  Vehicles have a price, then doc, then tax (assuming there is a sales tax), then title fee, then plate fee, then lien fee (if financed).  The only numbers that are associate with the dealer are the price and if/whatever they mark the doc fee up.  The rest of doc fee, tax, title, license, lien have nothing to do with the dealer.  Hence why it is not included in the price. If you want to know the total cost, just ask. It is not like we are hiding it....
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:04:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
youtube has tons of videos on closing the deal in the finance office, the only legitimate fees are Tax, Tag, and License

the rest are bullshit
View Quote

Against the law for us not to charge you a doc fee.  You won't be leaving with a vehicle if you don't want to pay it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:05:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Against the law for us not to charge you a doc fee.  You won't be leaving with a vehicle if you don't want to pay it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
youtube has tons of videos on closing the deal in the finance office, the only legitimate fees are Tax, Tag, and License

the rest are bullshit

And who came up with those laws? I'm sure the dealerships lobbying the legislatures had absolutely nothing to do with most of those things.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top