User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2018 6:56:23 PM EDT
a bit old, but a good read:

Why Shock Collars Are Not Recommended
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 7:45:56 PM EDT
[#1]
And sometimes, more than not, they work just fine.  If you find a collar NOT working on your dog, simply stop its use.

A good number of dogs in my hood have  them and they stay put in the yard.

There is a good and bad for many things, but often the good outweighs the bad.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 8:30:21 PM EDT
[#2]
And yet thousands of dogs every year are successfully trained using e-collars.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 11:57:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Training is the word of the day.
It isn't a cure all.
You still have to get off your ass and train your dog.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 12:05:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a very well behaved, highly trained lab that was trained with a collar.  He is a very happy dog.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 12:29:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Garbage. FAKE NEWS

Not all dogs need an e-collar.  But the ones that need it, really need it.

I do not buy into "positive only" training. It can be dangerous and I have seen people severely injured. And have heard of people getting killed listening to the positive only nonsense.

This comment sums it up pretty well:

This article is total propaganda from a card carrying member of the Church Of Purely Positive Training. Ecollars and ecollar training by professionals who know what they are doing with the equipment SAVE the lives of thousands and thousands of dogs each year. Purely positive training can NOT teach a dog what NOT to do or get a dog to stop doing dangerous or obnoxious behaviors. I would love to live in a world were we could sprinkle magic pixy dust on everything to fix it. The Church of Purely Positive Training holds that if a dog “refuses” to get with their programs, then it’s fine to take the dog to the shelter or take the dog on that one-way trip to the vet. Go to YouTube and watch Victoria Stilwell advising a family to put down their Cocker Spaniel for showing food guarding behavior on the show, It’s Me Or The Dog! The dog was killed because the Purely Positive Trainer could not figure out how to solve a very, very common behavior problem. As a professional trainer, I come in behind these sorts of trainers all of the time. When the dog won’t stop doing negative behavior in exchange for a cookie, the PPT tells the client to “send the dog back to the breeder, take the dog to the vet to be killed, rehome it or take it to the shelter. As a dog lover, this infuriates me! If a “trainer” does not know how to solve dog problems, they should not be playing God and recommending death to the dog or the dog-human relationship. Shame on the author for this irresponsible and misleading article.

Posted by: Canine Therapy Inc | October 16, 2018 4:56 PM    Report this comment  
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 12:40:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Garbage. FAKE NEWS

Not all dogs need an e-collar.  But the ones that need it, really need it.

I do not buy into "positive only" training. It can be dangerous and I have seen people severely injured. And have heard of people getting killed listening to the positive only nonsense.

This comment sums it up pretty well:
View Quote
I agree.

<--- Fan of e-collar
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 12:49:05 PM EDT
[#7]
That article is about invisible fences and there are some valid points for that but it's still a good option for many.

Remote e-collars are a different matter entirely though. My dog went from being impossible to get back inside on my terms to sprinting up to the door when called in a span of weeks. I only had to nip her a couple of times before she got it. Not all dogs need it, but it works wonders for dogs that do. Positive only reinforcement doesn't work very well on dogs that aren't food motivated and breeds that aren't particularly driven to please.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 5:32:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And yet thousands of dogs every year are successfully trained using e-collars.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 9:46:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I love my invisible fence, and also the e-collar and my pup has no issues because of either one.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 3:06:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Not a fan of the invisible fence thing, as I tend to favor breeds that would completely ignore it in the heat of the moment (sighthounds and terriers), but plenty of people use them quite successfully, so meh.

I find that the e-collar has worked wonders in many cases, although I haven’t personally used one. I am considering it as a future option, though.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 7:02:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Shock collars work when used properly and not overused. For me they've helped me train my dogs off leash very well for a couple of things. When my new lab pup found out he could ignore my, "come" command while off leash I used the shock collar with the come command at the same time and it worked very quickly. I made sure to praise him verbally when he came. The collar has also worked when he's off leash and picks up stuff I don't want him picking up. Same as the example before except I use a no command combined with a shock. I set the shock level to where it gets his attention and nothing more than that.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top