Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/27/2021 6:04:09 AM EDT
I just discovered this by accident. A US company makes an unlicensed copy of the RPG-7 for export to countries that cannot source them from Russia. It is compatible in every way to the RPG-7 but has been modernized, to an extent. Better sights, MIL standard rail, and a modified EOTech sight.

Attachment Attached File

Wiki Entry

Article about how Russia is pissed we copied their RPG-7;

Defense World Article

Russia has accused the United States of copying its RPG-7 grenade launcher, calling it the PSRL-1 multipurpose grenade launcher and supplying it to the Ukrainian national guard.

PSRL-1 multipurpose grenade launchers handed over by Washington to Kiev and tested by the Ukrainian national guard for the first time were copied from the Russian grenade launcher RPG-7, a source in the Russian defense industry told TASS news agency on Saturday.

"PSRL-1 grenade launchers tested by Ukraine are unlicensed copies of the Russian RPG-7 grenade launchers and were manufactured without full conformity to the production process. Thus, this specimen of weapons cannot supported stated characteristics in full scope," the source says.

The launcher lifetime is one of key characteristics of the grenade launcher, the source notes. "The RPG-7 launcher is designed for one thousand firings and can actually operate by 20-30% more. Certain doubts arise in respect of announced durability of the PSRL-1 because its launcher is made of lighter materials," he adds.

The source described the Picatinny rail (MIL-STD-1913) fitted on the PSRL-1 as a “tribute to fashion”, stating that it is not possible to mount any sight on the grenade launcher because its attachment will be quickly broken down by strong recoil. The Ukrainian national guard informed on Saturday about tests of the PSRL-1 grenade launcher developed by the US-based AirTronics USA.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:18:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:28:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I should be able to own that.  I should be able to own anything below an ICBM.

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:30:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice find op.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:32:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:47:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, like the Russians never copied anything the west built.

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:49:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Do want!
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:00:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:05:25 AM EDT
[#8]
You just found it?  It's been around for five yrs or so.  It was probably posted here first about five yrs and 87 seconds later.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:24:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I’d carry that.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:32:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I want two please!
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:34:44 AM EDT
[#11]
7.62 NATO PKM next...
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:51:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I want two please!
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:00:06 AM EDT
[#13]
I have handled pieces of those.
Worked at a machine shop in San Antonio that was making prototypes for AirTronic.
The whole tail section was originally turned out of a solid bar  of 4100 steel, but that really added to the cost, since the rear flange was so large.
Was my idea to make the rear flange separate, and Tig weld it to the smaller diameter rear cone, and tube.
I built an automated welder that all an operator had to do is set the flange down first on an electric, variable speed rotary table, followed by the cone/tube assembly, close a clamp to hold everything in place, then push the start button.
Then the Tig torch, that was mounted on a pneumatic slide, would come in, and fusion weld the two pieces together.
We made up about 50 sets of middle & rear tubes, but then lost the contract do to our bone head engineer wasting weeks trying to forge the rear flange into the cone assembly before giving up on that idea.
That guy was a nut case, and partly responsible for putting that shop out of business.
And people can't understand why I speak so poorly of engineers...

How does one get into engineering school?
The must first take a prerequisite class called "How to stick your head up your ass - 101"
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:17:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you have your shit together enough to build or come up with the funds to purchase an ICBM, then I'm okay with you having one. Bill Gates does more damage to the people on Earth with his money and no ICBM.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:20:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
7.62 NATO PKM next...
View Quote

Hungary made some for troop trials....copied from a Bulgarian design...

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:21:29 AM EDT
[#16]
They're actually pretty heavy. You wouldn't think it till you pick it up.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:32:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.  Sure, I don’t have the shielding to store isotopes—I get that.

But modern nitroesters are so stable the “magazine requirement” is goofy.

Put simply: if I can make it, I shouldn’t have to—I should be able to buy it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:41:04 AM EDT
[#18]
a bunch of pic rail with a rocket launcher attached. cool.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:42:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If you have your shit together enough to build or come up with the funds to purchase an ICBM, then I'm okay with you having one. Bill Gates does more damage to the people on Earth with his money and no ICBM.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

An ICBM almost makes a 200 dollar tax stamp look reasonable.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:05:43 AM EDT
[#20]
RPG with da BEAMZ yo!

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:14:36 AM EDT
[#21]
I heard once that there is an American company that produces the NSV type of machine gun.  Not sure who the customer is, but apparently most of those guns were on top or armor which has been destroyed over the years, leaving warehouses of ammo still available.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:15:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Worked at a machine shop in San Antonio that was making prototypes for AirTronic.
The whole tail section was originally turned out of a solid bar  of 4100 steel, but that really added to the cost, since the rear flange was so large.
Was my idea to make the rear flange separate, and Tig weld it to the smaller diameter rear cone, and tube.
I built an automated welder that all an operator had to do is set the flange down first on an electric, variable speed rotary table, followed by the cone/tube assembly, close a clamp to hold everything in place, then push the start button.
Then the Tig torch, that was mounted on a pneumatic slide, would come in, and fusion weld the two pieces together.
We made up about 50 sets of middle & rear tubes, but then lost the contract do to our bone head engineer wasting weeks trying to forge the rear flange into the cone assembly before giving up on that idea.
That guy was a nut case, and partly responsible for putting that shop out of business.

The must first take a prerequisite class called "How to stick your head up your ass - 101"
View Quote

Thanks @Cressida !

ARFCOM is an amazing place, in a good way, sometimes.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:16:54 AM EDT
[#23]
I want my 2A rights
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:19:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Does it have a Grip Zone (TM)?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:36:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Thanks @Cressida !

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks @Cressida !

As an engineer I can agree with that sentiment @Cressida (btw, are you a Toyota fan?) anyway, I have met some really dumb kids recently that graduated from engineering school that didn’t know stuff I learned in high school [img]/images/smilies/smiley_nosmile.gif[/img.  The other thing that can/could have been in play (especially with gov contracts or rfq) are their specifications.  Sometimes they go shall we say a bit overboard on what they want.  That rear cone (I’m no rpg expert) could have probably been made out of a sheet metal stamping. Look at the original and see how it’s made. They work pretty damn good from what I hear, not much need to make it indescribable just copy it.  The pic rail is enough of an upgrade.  Rant off.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:46:29 AM EDT
[#26]
But who makes the rounds?

US needs to adopt this and make some interesting ammo.

BTW is the original Russian version copyrighted? Seems like everyone in the WP was making a copy of it and the AK etc.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:50:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Hell yeah!
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:56:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I want my 2A rights
View Quote

It's my RPG and I want it now!
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:57:01 AM EDT
[#29]
If one had the proper paperwork all in order.  How much per launcher and per each of the different rounds they make to fit the launcher?

Asking for a friend.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:01:41 AM EDT
[#30]
So this company sells them to the US Government who then gives them to the Ukraine, who also makes RPG-7s?

I do not understand how there can be a profit for a US company to do this absent dumb ass US Government purchases. Dozens of countries make RPG-7s.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:04:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
7.62 NATO PKM next...
View Quote

Poland already makes the UKM-2000

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:06:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You just found it?  It's been around for five yrs or so.  It was probably posted here first about five yrs and 87 seconds later.
View Quote
They showed one briefly in The Avengers in 2012. It was current-production at the time.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:08:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If one had the proper paperwork all in order.  How much per launcher and per each of the different rounds they make to fit the launcher?

Asking for a friend.
View Quote

Airtronics will not sell to civilians.  I tried several years ago.  If anyone has an “in”, pm me!

18Z50
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:08:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yeah, like the Russians never copied anything the west built.

View Quote

Exactly. Hell, the AK47 uses the safety from a Remington model 8.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:10:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bill Gates would have a bunch of ICBMs and nobody on this board would have any at all.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:10:11 AM EDT
[#36]
The AirTronic...l.
Looks like someone did this to an RPG7

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:11:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
BTW is the original Russian version copyrighted? Seems like everyone in the WP was making a copy of it and the AK etc.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:13:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Didn't they copy our B29?
Our B-1 as well?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:16:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Russians trying to patent a design produced in 20 countries. Funny

These have been in use in the Ukraine for 4 years or so. It’s main attribute is that it is lighter. I don’t think the design is even exactly the same as the rpg-7.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:18:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Laughs at the guys who keep saying "the Ukraine"
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:18:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So this company sells them to the US Government who then gives them to the Ukraine, who also makes RPG-7s?

I do not understand how there can be a profit for a US company to do this absent dumb ass US Government purchases. Dozens of countries make RPG-7s.
View Quote

I can't speak for this particular example, as I'm not current on U.S. policy regarding lethal weapons sales to Ukraine, but the game usually plays out due to the logic of foreign military financing (FMF). Cash account is given to country, country can only use said cash to purchase from the US through the standard FMS program. That's the logic of many Israeli acquisition programs, for example. If these things are being purchased directly from the company (direct commercial sales) then the logic changes a bit. So, that would be my first question. Second would be to look into the specifics of Ukrainian and other non-Russian production. Could be a capacity thing or it could the the U.S. version is just better.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:20:20 AM EDT
[#42]
UtahGetMeTwo.jpg
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:25:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

"Shall not be infringed, unless it's really scary"
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:26:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Machining and welding? Why?

Lol. It's a sheet metal part.

Should have been spin formed.

Sounds like your shop went out of business because nobody knew what they were doing including the "engineer".

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:27:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Didn't they copy our B29?
Our B-1 as well?
View Quote
Hell they copied the Christie tank suspension on the now famous T-34
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:28:56 AM EDT
[#46]
They should be available OTC at the local hardware store, cash and carry.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:34:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
They should be available OTC at the local hardware store, cash and carry.
View Quote

I'd love to at least fire off a few rounds.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:36:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Looks like something that would cost 40 bucks from Russia has been converted to something that costs $8,000 sourced from the US, but is written up in the sourcing contract for $20,000 before we ship them to the dirt farmers for free.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:37:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Maybe Russia should take a look at some of their fighter aircraft and space shuttle and see if it resembles anything that we have.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:38:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Looks like something that would cost 40 bucks from Russia has been converted to something that costs $8,000 sourced from the US, but is written up in the sourcing contract for $20,000 before we ship them to the dirt farmers for free.
View Quote

Which is what gets me with our Gov. Just copy the RPG-7 as it was originally built. Or better yet, just buy a few million of them from Poland.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top