Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:19:25 AM EDT
[#1]
You forgot to put Democrats in the poll.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:21:30 AM EDT
[#2]
So now that everyone has went down the rabbit hole of who is more evil ...     How evil was the US for benefiting from all the data collected when the Nazi's and Japanese performed their human experiments ?  

We sure didn't seem to have a problem using all those findings and data points to advance our own understanding of medical science  /  technology.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:24:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My grandfather fought in both theaters, he didn't say much about the Germans but he HATED the Japanese.

View Quote

Knew dozens WW2 vets from both theaters in my youth. Japan tipped the poor opinion scale, by far. Europen theater guys mainly discussed hardships endured if they talked of the war at all.  Often heard Pacific vets say stuff like: "They should have A-bombed that whole godamned country."

One fellow my folks knew was a Bataan survivor. I'm of the opinion that his loathing of Japanese was what kept his heart exercised as long as it did. He saw guys shot or stabbed just for being sick or injured. One strange thing he mentioned, that you never hear about, is that the Japanese would single out a fellow for being well hung. Only thing he figured was that they were jealous and would punish or kill an American for it.

Even heard Europe vets admit they felt sorry for guys sent to the Pacific. One old carpenter at my plant was in the Battle of the Bulge and the A-bombing of Japan came up. He said he was glad because it saved a lot of American lives. He said to us:  "Good thing? Yeah. The boys fighting the Japs caught a worse deal than we did and i near froze and starved to death over there. Not to mention getting shot at or blowed up.  It was a relief to hear they got bombed because i know a lot of us (European theater miltary) were planning to make ourselves scarce (implying going AWOL) if they had not."
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:26:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Obama was more the guy who came out of nowhere, with an early background, that just defies examination, than any President we ever had.
View Quote
You are right. How could I forget about him.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:28:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Knew dozens WW2 vets from both theaters in my youth. Japan tipped the poor opinion scale, by far. Europen theater guys mainly discussed hardships endured if they talked of the war at all.  Often heard Pacific vets say stuff like: "They should have A-bombed that whole godamned country."

One fellow my folks knew was a Bataan survivor. I'm of the opinion that his loathing of Japanese was what kept his heart exercised as long as it did. He saw guys shot or stabbed just for being sick or injured. One strange thing he mentioned, that you never hear about, is that the Japanese would single out a fellow for being well hung. Only thing he figured was that they were jealous and would punish or kill an American for it.

Even heard Europe vets admit they felt sorry for guys sent to the Pacific. One old carpenter at my plant was in the Battle of the Bulge and the A-bombing of Japan came up. He said he was glad because it saved a lot of American lives. He said to us:  "Good thing? Yeah. The boys fighting the Japs caught a worse deal than we did and i near froze and starved to death over there. Not to mention getting shot at or blowed up.  It was a relief to hear they got bombed because i know a lot of us (European theater miltary) were planning to make ourselves scarce (implying going AWOL) if they had not."
View Quote

My Grandfather was in the Pacific  ,  he did not talk about much of it but his time in New Guinea definitely left him with a life long hatred for the Japanese, he would not own anything made in Japan .
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:28:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Japan used vivisection on our P.O.W.s, Japan.
View Quote

This.^^^
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:36:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Both countries got what they deserved during and after the war.  It's kept them calm for 80 years.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:37:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Germany was worse. Not necessarily in action, but because they were nominally Christian for the most part, the populace should have known better. Unfortunately, being predominantly Protestant their Christianity was flawed and Luthers errors contributed to the Holocaust being something people could go along with. Couple that with “scientific” racism, the paganism of the Nazi party, and the economic issues and it played out the way it did.

Japan was at least as bad in action, but because they were pagan savages, they were mostly conducting war the way it had been for thousands of years. The only reason we even look at things the nazis and japs did as wrong is because our society is so heavily influenced by Christianity that even our wars are supposed to be fought justly and with mercy in mind over just wholesale slaughter of an enemy people.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:51:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Soviet Union communists especially the ones that came from America
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:55:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The USSR.
View Quote

I agree but they weren't in the poll
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:57:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

WTF are you talking about? 3 million soviet soldiers died in nazi camps! The eastern front was a fucking slaughterhouse!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_mistreatment_of_Soviet_prisoners_of_war
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Japan all the way just on the treatment of their POW’s. Nazi Germany at least let the Red Cross in, and did not stave/march their prisoners to death.

WTF are you talking about? 3 million soviet soldiers died in nazi camps! The eastern front was a fucking slaughterhouse!

Yeah... but those were commies sooo...
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:03:14 PM EDT
[#12]
You spelled DNC wrong
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:07:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Japs all day long.  They simply had no regard for human life and that attitude was institutionalized in their military.   German atrocities were often about high level decisions made by leadership.   The Japanese were simply brutal through and through.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:10:20 PM EDT
[#14]
The only reason I say the Germans is because Japan hated the Chinese.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:10:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Japan all the way just on the treatment of their POW’s. Nazi Germany at least let the Red Cross in, and did not stave/march their prisoners to death.

Were all german soldiers nazis too?  So we don't care what happened to them if captured by the Russians?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:12:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Link to a source on the human lampshades?

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:13:05 PM EDT
[#17]
A better question is how evil the US would have been if the Germans and Japanese wrote the history books.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:13:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ha, millions of soviet POWs would beg to disagree.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:14:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They were both absolutely brutal. Voted Germany but easily could go Japan - unfortunately for the victims of the Japanese their story really hasn’t come out in any large scale meaningful way like the European/African theaters of war did.
View Quote

Yes it has  you just do not read ...  There is a LOT published about the Japanese and what they did in WWII  ,  you are confusing the treatment we gave the Japanese post war with the treatment we gave the Germans post war.  

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:15:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That’s a direct result of not having “total war” as a tactic. Important to know. When total war is on the table, collateral damage isn’t really that collateral.
View Quote

Total war should be the only way war is fought.  

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:21:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Germany was more organized and effecient
View Quote

Industrial scale. Spelled out in Mein Kampf. They had a plan to kill 30-45 million Slavs within two winters. By starvation and exposure.

The concentration camp deaths were bad enough. The extermination camps went to another level. Disguised to be presented as something else.

In the end they began killing their own for not evacuating cities fast enough in pretty much forced marches. They'd machine gun them dead in the West in the same way they did to the Jews in the East who didn't move fast enough when loading the trains. Old and feeble/ incapacitated. The very young.

They went to work on the foreign labor/ concentration camp workers,  evacuating them to other camps when the Allies were closing in. Because they believed they could still use them as forced labor to turn the outcome of the war. Killed them quick for not keeping up on the forced marches.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:28:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
"In Dachau, an SS doctor named Sigmund Rascher tested survival gear for the Luftwaffe by dressing inmates in pilot uniforms and dropping them in freezing water that simulated conditions in the North Sea. Subjects’ temperatures were taken rectally and the cooling rate was carefully charted. In hundreds of experiments, Rascher tried out various methods for reheating hypothermic prisoners and found that sexual intercourse worked better than warm colonic irrigation."

Hmmmm....
View Quote

That guy's work was the only thing that was really applicable with downed pilots/ sunken ship survivors figuring out how to keep them alive and how long they would have for the rescue before they died of exposure.

His wife was like 15 years older than him and Himmler gave a waiver for their marriage. She suddenly has two kids. Offspring she acquired by killing the mothers she found around transportation hubs.

They were both thrown in concentration camps, being an embarrassment to the Third Reich.

He is the one who developed the suicide capsules the Nazis kept on themselves.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:30:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Something interesting and pertinent to the topic ...........

The Fallen of WWII

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:30:46 PM EDT
[#24]
They were about on par, the Japanese extermination on Okinawa, China and Philippines dosen't get the attention the Nazis get for cooking Jews, gypsys, cripples, and gays but Japan was just as guilty of genocide.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:31:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Total war should be the only way war is fought.  

View Quote

No it isn’t, it’s exactly how wars shouldn’t be fought. They should be fought in accord with the just war theory and combatants should go to extremes to shield non-combatants from the conflict.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:35:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Mao is the supreme evil as far as I can tell. The Japs were more barbarous and the average Imperial soldier/sailor/airman were probably more invested in the myth than the average German.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:37:02 PM EDT
[#27]
German leadership had their sights set higher in terms of doing evil shit, but the Japanese did seriously fucked up stuff that largely stemmed from their culture being all fucked up.

The Japanese did shit the Germans would have drawn the line at.  So did the Soviets.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:39:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I think Japan. At least the Nazis were killing commies and their officers/enlisted believed in God.
View Quote

The older officers/ senior staff did. Tied to the Prussian Monarchist tradition that was wedded into the church.

The younger ones going through the universities after 1933 and those trained by the Hitler Youth were weaned on atheism/ paganism/ Aryan mythology/ a revived Christian belief system that portrayed a Jesus conqueror saviour of the Aryan race.

Traditional religion was seen as slave morality. This is all generalized of course.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:41:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Japan all the way.

I think I'm inclined to agree. The Nazis industrialized slaughter, and committed horrible crimes, to be sure. But the sadism of the Imperial Japanese is incomparable. Not to say that the Nazis weren't sadistic, but not to the level of the Imperial Japanese.

Only for the Western front. Not true for Eastern Front. They killed 2-3 million Russian pows by starvation/ exposure.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:42:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No it isn’t, it’s exactly how wars shouldn’t be fought. They should be fought in accord with the just war theory and combatants should go to extremes to shield non-combatants from the conflict.
View Quote

WRONG.     All just wars that have been won have been won using total war tactics.  It was when we started fighting limited wars that we started losing wars.  

You have total history fail.  Non combatants are combatants  because they enable their society to wage war .  War must be so horrific and so great that those would engage in it think twice about the cost it will have  on their nations.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:45:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Imagine if China were filled with Jewish and Slavic people vs. Han and Mongolian people that no one cared about.  Our history books sure would look different wouldn't they?

It hard not to notice, whenever the atrocities of both world wars are discussed Japan gets the "oh and also" treatment, while what happened in Europe gets hammered to death.  To me, that says not so much that one Axis power was worse than the other.  It means no one gives a shit what the IJA was doing to the other "yellow people" in far away Asia.

In fact today even, most people have no idea that a war in Asia, followed by a barbaric and vicious occupation existed prior to the attack on Pearl Harbor.  But they sure will be quick to tell you about the 6 million who died in Hitler's camps.

Not trying to come off as an anti-Semite here.  This is probably more of a statement of how and what we are taught in school or see on TV, and how that affects our views and beliefs we carry through out our lives.

I still voted Germany simply due to sheer numbers and scale of what they did.  But Japan, I have no doubt, in the same situation would have easily bested them.  Lucky for the rest of the world they never had the opportunity to try.
View Quote

At least 11 million died in the camps.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:45:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

WRONG.     All just wars that have been won have been won using total war tactics.  It was when we started fighting limited wars that we started losing wars.  

You have total history fail.  Non combatants are combatants  because they enable their society to wage war .  War must be so horrific and so great that those would engage in it think twice about the cost it will have  on their nations.
View Quote

Intentionally targeting non combatants and civilian populations is wrong. Full stop.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:49:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Intentionally targeting non combatants and civilian populations is wrong. Full stop.
View Quote

You know  nothing about warfare and you proved it in one sentence.    History disagrees with you on all counts.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:50:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:51:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You know  nothing about warfare and you proved it in one sentence.    History disagrees with you on all counts.

View Quote

Have you ever even been to war? Because you sound like a boomer thumping his chest about something he has no problem putting other people through but wouldn’t want done upon himself.

I’ve been to war, and I have a masters in history. Until you meet even one of those criteria shut the fuck up.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:59:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:02:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Have you ever even been to war? Because you sound like a boomer thumping his chest about something he has no problem putting other people through but wouldn’t want done upon himself.

I’ve been to war, and I have a masters in history. Until you meet even one of those criteria shut the fuck up.
View Quote

I have been to war  ....   and you clearly didn't get your money's worth from that master in history.  So you should probably STFU  ...  

So Mr Masters in History ....  how do you think we won WWII ?  I will toss the clearly clueless a bone here.  It wasn't limited warfare...  

Master's in history my ass.    
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:18:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I have been to war  ....   and you clearly didn't get your money's worth from that master in history.  So you should probably STFU  ...  

So Mr Masters in History ....  how do you think we won WWII ?  I will toss the clearly clueless a bone here.  It wasn't limited warfare...  

View Quote

We won, with your idea. That isn’t disputed. Still doesn’t make intentionally targeting non-combatants moral. The fact that you seem to think it does shows a moral deficiency on your part.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:19:03 PM EDT
[#39]
My dad was captured in Tunisia ( tank driver0 and spent  a year and a half in a German pow camp. He said that they were treated good enough. They ate the same food as the guards, just not as much, and were not  abused in  any way.
Being from a German family he could speak a little of the language, the guards hated Hitler but had little choice when the recruiment officers came knocking.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:32:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

We won, with your idea. That isn’t disputed. Still doesn’t make intentionally targeting non-combatants moral. The fact that you seem to think it does shows a moral deficiency on your part.
View Quote

Translation I was right and am right about every major war that has been fought since the first caveman caved in his neighbor head with a rock to take his woman ,  and his meat.

The fact that you are foolishly stuck in the idea that limited warfare is somehow moral , is a defective philosophy.  Had your ideas of morality been used western civilization would probably have ceased to exist at the battle of Tours.

Bellum Romanum is how wars are won.  Our adoption of limited warfare has led us to be involved in wars that never end in the name of compassion and humanitarianism.  

ALL great generals have known this,  the way you make war humane is by making war horrible and ending it as fast as possible,  not by prolonging it .

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:40:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Translation I was right and am right about every major war that has been fought since the first caveman caved in his neighbor head with a rock to take his woman ,  and his meat.

The fact that you are foolishly stuck in the idea that limited warfare is somehow moral , is a defective philosophy.  Had your ideas of morality been used western civilization would probably have ceased to exist at the battle of Tours.

Bellum Romanum is how wars are won.  Our adoption of limited warfare has led us to be involved in wars that never end in the name of compassion and humanitarianism.  

ALL great generals have known this,  the way you make war humane is by making war horrible and ending it as fast as possible,  not by prolonging it .

View Quote

Have fun explaining to God why you think killing civilians is the right thing to do. I’ll exit this conversation now.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:51:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Have fun explaining to God why you think killing civilians is the right thing to do. I’ll exit this conversation now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

LOL  you fail at bible knowledge too ..   I went to a Christian University did you ?

Deuteronomy 2:33-34, “And the Lord our God delivered him over to us; and we defeated him with his sons and all his people. So we captured all his cities at that time, and utterly destroyed the men, women and children of every city. We left no survivor.”

Deuteronomy 9:5, “It is not for your righteousness or for the uprightness of your heart that you are going to possess their land, but it is because of the wickedness of these nations that the Lord your God is driving them out before you, in order to confirm the oath which the Lord swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.”

The Amorites started the war by attacking the Israelites  and God commanded they utterly destroy the Amorites for their wickedness. It was all done at the behest of the highest moral authority.

Glad we settled the Christian morality part of warfare also Mr. Masters in History.  

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:02:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Damn dude, that's like asking what's better on a shit sandwich, mustard or mayo?

I've been listening to this podcast by Dan Carlin, it's a series of four or five episodes I think that's been about the Asia-Pacific war from 1937-45, and from what I've listened to and what I've read afterwards, the Japanese atrocities were off the chain.  I was really ignorant on what those guys did during the Second Sino-Japanese war.

But the Nazis ain't no daisies either.  Both were pure, unadulterated evil in every sense of the term.
View Quote

Super Nova in the East is probably his best series to date , at least since his Blue Print for Armageddon.  

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:03:15 PM EDT
[#44]
For those who think being a Nazi prisoner was just fine if you were non-Russian, I've met a US B-17 crewman who was Jewish and a Nazi POW. They figured out he was Jewish (circumsized) the Nazis castrated him, and sent him to a concentration camp. Don't believe all this "Germans were Chivilrous" bullshit. There are many cases of Jewish US prisoners being sent to the concentration camps.

And for claim that the Japanese were worse because some aristocratic Nazi diplomat was appalled by having people slaughtered on his doorstep, well I guarantee you that the Japanese diplomatic mission to Nazi Germany would have been appalled if they were given a tour of Auschwitz or watched Einsatzgruupen machine gunning naked women into a ditch. Neither objection proves anything...

Remember, the Nazi's imagined a plan where they would intentionally depopulate entire regions of 10s of millions of inhabitants on purpose through executions, gas chambers, work camps, and/or starvation with a special focus on eliminating 100% of certain peoples. That was their PLAN consider the Wanasee Conference and Der Hungerplan.

Japanese didn't want to exterminate other races, rather they wanted to subjugate, dominate, and run a brutal empire. They wanted to run East Asia like the Belgians ran the Congo (or more accurately like Japan had been running Korea and Manchuko (China). They wanted Europe/US out of their sphere of influence. The wonton bloodshed of conquered peoples was like was a barbaric historic conquering army, including those who are often characterized as civilized (medieval and ancient European powers). Beyond that was a general disregard for subjugated races and the complete dehumanization of defeated military forces. Totalitarian societies at war always allow  pyschopaths to rise and have a free hand.

I don't classify one as worse than the other because comparisons break down above a certain level of horror. I will say that the Nazis exemplified planned and industrialized slaughter with an efficiency and intent never matched before or since.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:16:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You kill any civilians while you were at war?

Edit:  Only asking because you say A) that's how you win a war, B) you went to a Christian College and God has nothing against it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:27:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You kill any civilians while you were at war?

Edit:  Only asking because you say A) that's how you win a war, B) you went to a Christian College and God has nothing against it.
View Quote

A.  
It wouldn't matter if I killed 1  ,  0  or 1000 ..  Individual soldiers shooting other soldiers with rifles aren't how wars are won and you should know that.  

B.  In the context of my statement total war is exactly how you win a war. Everyone becomes a target , destroy their cities, and their ability to wage war.   It is a proven formula.

C.  Don't get into a Biblical argument you won't win ,  I am pretty well versed in the bible .  I did not say God has nothing against it,  but God also commanded his faithful to engage in total war to combat the wickedness of other men.  The Bible documents it very clearly .

D.  If this is all you have to support your position its a sucky argument.   You probably should do what Mr. Masters In History Did and not argue when you clearly are already on the losing end of the debate and have no way to support your position.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:34:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

A.  
It wouldn't matter if I killed 1  ,  0  or 1000 ..  Individual soldiers shooting other soldiers with rifles aren't how wars are won and you should know that.  

B.  In the context of my statement total war is exactly how you win a war. Everyone becomes a target , destroy their cities, and their ability to wage war.   It is a proven formula.

C.  Don't get into a Biblical argument you won't win ,  I am pretty well versed in the bible .  I did not say God has nothing against it,  but God also commanded his faithful to engage in total war to combat the wickedness of other men.  The Bible documents it very clearly .

D.  If this is all you have to support your position its a sucky argument.   You probably should do what Mr. Masters In History Did and not argue when you clearly are already on the losing end of the debate and have no way to support your position.

View Quote

Lol, chief, there is no argument.  I asked you a simple question.  How committed were you to winning the war you were in.  Enough to personally kill civilians?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:37:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Lol, chief, there is no argument.  I asked you a simple question.  How committed were you to winning the war you were in.  Enough to personally kill civilians?
View Quote

Go have some poutine and let the adults talk about these matters.  You clearly don't have anything to add to the discussion
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:40:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Go have some poutine and let the adults talk about these matters.  You clearly don't have anything to add to the discussion
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol.  How many chief?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:42:11 PM EDT
[#50]
I have to say that a lot of fat people would benefit from the Japanese POW diet.  There's not really any question of effectiveness when you eat half a potato in a bowl of salt water a day while building a bridge in Thailand.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top