Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2022 3:48:44 PM EDT
Does such a thing exist?

Seen the kits, but rarely a top speed guarantee...

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:55:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By _DR:
Does such a thing exist?

View Quote
Don't think so.

my sur Ron will almost hit 70 with an upgraded controller. Has the power of a 125 2stroke but weighs 100lbs.  

Wouldn't consider it a bicycle but you can add pedals.  Cost as much as a gas bike.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:04:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GlutealCleft] [#2]
Does such a thing exist?

View Quote

There are laws governing what makes an electric bike an electric bike and not a motorcycle, and laws governing the use of electric vehicles without licenses on roads, so most pre-made e-bikes don't go 40.   You can build your own, mod a pre-made one, or look to maybe a boutique builder that DGAF.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I have a Yamaha XT250 that gets 70 mpg, but would like a way to get around @ 40 mph or more that can be charged with a solar charger for prepper reasons.

But paying more than $2-3K is beyond my budget.

I can change a derailleur or change a tire, but not much of a bike mechanic, so not sure if I would be able to install a kit sucessfully, or which would suit my needs (40mph minimum)
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:11:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Juiced Scrambler goes fast.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:15:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Bikes Direct
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:21:16 PM EDT
[#6]
My diy ebikekit with a cheap SLA battery on a walmart mongoose with 29er wheels will do 39mph if you pedal with it.    You run out of gears after that, though.  I bet if you swapped gears so you had more top end, you could get it faster.  39 is already stupid fast on a bicycle.  I wouldnt want to push it much past that.

Is OP trying to do that fast without pedaling?  That sounds like it'd be like a remote control car.  Real fast and fun for 15 minutes.  Then you have to swap out batteries or wait for it to charge.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:25:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 5:00:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By giantpune:
My diy ebikekit with a cheap SLA battery on a walmart mongoose with 29er wheels will do 39mph if you pedal with it.    You run out of gears after that, though.  I bet if you swapped gears so you had more top end, you could get it faster.  39 is already stupid fast on a bicycle.  I wouldnt want to push it much past that.

Is OP trying to do that fast without pedaling?  That sounds like it'd be like a remote control car.  Real fast and fun for 15 minutes.  Then you have to swap out batteries or wait for it to charge.
View Quote

For now I would like to go 40 mph for 5-10 miles. I was thinking I could wear a backpack battery pack if needed.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 5:01:23 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

Juiced has a racetrack mode I believe.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#10]
How fast have you gone on a bicycle?

As stated above, 40 is stupid fast. I've only ever done it on a good Road bike, downhill, and in situations where I don't really want to be on the brakes for safety reasons.*

Also... there's a reason that they have that classification system above. Even 20 is pretty damn fast for many bikes (many mountain bikes, cruisers, etc, struggle to get that fast without a hill...) and they don't really want a huge speed difference on bike paths and the like. Even blowing past a mountain bike/cruiser going 15 when you're going 25 on a roadie is uncomfortable.

A 250cc motorcycle is a completely different game in terms of size and weight to a bicycle. Those bikes are going to weigh ~300lbs+. You're talking about riding a bike, which means you're going to be in the same lane as a guy with a bike that weighs 20-30 lbs. (Yes, E-bikes are much heavier, but that carbon fiber roadie is in the lane with you)

Personally, I suggest you reconsider your requirements.

*-Have you seen how messed up people in bike races get when they crash?
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 6:42:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I agree with ASU above. I've done 49mph on my road bike (downhill and in a straight line). Exhilarating, but I didn't want to steer. Anything above 30mph on a bicycle is really really fast, and bad things happen even quicker.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 6:56:43 PM EDT
[#12]

For now I would like to go 40 mph for 5-10 miles. I was thinking I could wear a backpack battery pack if needed.
View Quote

I'm sure there are calculators out there for it.  Just based on my own experience and guessing, I bet you'd need 25ah or more worth of batteries running at 48v or more to do 40mph for 10 miles.

And tires.  You would need some really nice tires and wheels to be able to handle your launches.  Normal bicycle tires cannot hold up for very long.  My back tire turns into a slick after like 150 miles of riding and i'm not pushing 40mph every time i stop and go.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 7:43:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ASUsax:

As stated above, 40 is stupid fast. I've only ever done it on a good Road bike, downhill, and in situations where I don't really want to be on the brakes for safety reasons.*

Also... there's a reason that they have that classification system above. Even 20 is pretty damn fast for many bikes (many mountain bikes, cruisers, etc, struggle to get that fast without a hill...) and they don't really want a huge speed difference on bike paths and the like. Even blowing past a mountain bike/cruiser going 15 when you're going 25 on a roadie is uncomfortable.

A 250cc motorcycle is a completely different game in terms of size and weight to a bicycle. Those bikes are going to weigh ~300lbs+. You're talking about riding a bike, which means you're going to be in the same lane as a guy with a bike that weighs 20-30 lbs. (Yes, E-bikes are much heavier, but that carbon fiber roadie is in the lane with you)

Personally, I suggest you reconsider your requirements.

*-Have you seen how messed up people in bike races get when they crash?
View Quote

Another point is that you simply MUST upgrade your tires/wheels/tubes and rims if you expect them to survive even 20mph consistantly.  No Cheap chinese junk tubes and tires here, you have to play with the big boys, the companies that make car and motorbike tires...
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:03:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:21:55 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

I've done >50mph on a mountain bike, >60mph on a road bike.  And I agree... 40mph on a bike is pretty darn fast.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 12:27:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By GlutealCleft:

I've done >50mph on a mountain bike, >60mph on a road bike.  And I agree... 40mph on a bike is pretty darn fast.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I agree, but with the fat tire bikes it's a lot more stable, less twitchy, if less agile.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 12:28:12 AM EDT
[#17]

That's pretty badass. Any more info on it?
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 12:34:30 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Sur Ron X Black from luna cycle.
$4,200 but worth it.

Or pre order a metacycle for $6,000
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 7:56:32 AM EDT
[#19]

That's pretty badass. Any more info on it?
View Quote

thats a motoped

they started as a 2014 kick starter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2097071998/motopeds

https://www.greenfuture.io/transportation/motoped/
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 7:59:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 12:36:11 PM EDT
[#21]
This one does 30 plus and can get with dual batteries

https://www.juicedbikes.com/products/hyperscrambler-2?variant=31955921502272 for better range

Link Posted: 5/13/2022 12:43:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doc_Zox] [#22]
https://super73.com/c1x

The smallish size and 31 seat height puts it closer to a Honda Grom than a full-sized street bike, and the smaller-format 15 wheels should keep it fairly nimble.

The bike should be lighter than full-size motorcycles as well, as the company says it has a "target weight of under 300 lb."

The C1X features a mid-mounted motor, though the company has not yet released a power figure for the motor. SUPER73 did say that it should get riders up to a max speed of "over 75 mph," or at least 120 km/h for anyone keeping track across the pond.

SUPER73 opted for a chain drive on the C1X, so don't expect this to be a silent electric motorcycle. Unlike most e-motos that use belt drives, chain-driven electric motorcycles tend to have a bit more chainsaw sound than motor whirr.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:57:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By doc_Zox:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3097/D3A2EEDD-712B-492F-812B-040E0CC94747-2382417.jpg

The smallish size and 31 seat height puts it closer to a Honda Grom than a full-sized street bike, and the smaller-format 15 wheels should keep it fairly nimble.

The bike should be lighter than full-size motorcycles as well, as the company says it has a "target weight of under 300 lb."

The C1X features a mid-mounted motor, though the company has not yet released a power figure for the motor. SUPER73 did say that it should get riders up to a max speed of "over 75 mph," or at least 120 km/h for anyone keeping track across the pond.

SUPER73 opted for a chain drive on the C1X, so don't expect this to be a silent electric motorcycle. Unlike most e-motos that use belt drives, chain-driven electric motorcycles tend to have a bit more chainsaw sound than motor whirr.
View Quote

That looks like a solution looking for a problem.  I don't think that would fly on mixed-use or bike paths, leaving you to ride it on the road, in which case.... why?  Seems like a California thing.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 9:07:50 AM EDT
[#24]

That looks like a solution looking for a problem.  I don't think that would fly on mixed-use or bike paths, leaving you to ride it on the road, in which case.... why?  Seems like a California thing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3097/D3A2EEDD-712B-492F-812B-040E0CC94747-2382417.jpg

Yeah, I am looking for something that looks like it doesn't need a license plate.
I may end up doing a kit, just was wondering what was out there pre-made for sale.

Link Posted: 5/22/2022 10:01:09 PM EDT
[#25]
I  used to make bicycle frames for a living.

Steel, titanium and aluminum frames, no carbon fiber frames.

I am working on high powered e-bikes now, using custom steel frames.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 12:12:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doc_Zox] [#26]
This fits the spec

but it is 180 pounds and 6.5k bucks

https://us.delfastbikes.com/bikes/top
Speed Modes:Limited (750W, 15mph max)
Eco (750W, 20 mph)
Unlimited (3000W, 50 mph)
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 6:39:41 PM EDT
[#27]
This fits the spec

but it is 180 pounds and 6.5k bucks

https://us.delfastbikes.com/bikes/top
Speed Modes:Limited (750W, 15mph max)
Eco (750W, 20 mph)
Unlimited (3000W, 50 mph)
View Quote

Wow that does look good.  But that price, ouch!
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 1:53:44 AM EDT
[#28]

View Quote
That's an actual motorcycle. One reason e-bikes are popular is that they don't require registration, licensing etc. This looks like it will need registration, license plate, and moto license. Cool ride though.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 8:07:10 AM EDT
[#29]
SUPER 73 builds stretch bb pseudo motobikes

the are not set up like bicycles with seat tubes and don't position the rider above the BB

this is not an efficient pedal position

https://super73.com/products/super73-zx-tt

Link Posted: 6/8/2022 8:24:42 AM EDT
[#30]
250 dirt bike will run you $10,000.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 5:18:55 PM EDT
[#31]
My $2K Aventon Aventure ebike will go about 32-34 with some vigorous pedaling in high gear with the top speed unlocked via the app.

Honestly... It's fun... but it's pretty fast for a bicycle.  

Where exactly do you need to go at 40mph on a bike?  

It only goes ~20mph on throttle, I think that's sufficient for most commuting purposes (quick trips to the grocery store, etc.).  At this point, if I still worked in an office outside the home, I'd use it to commute.  It's a great bike.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 5:53:06 PM EDT
[#32]

132lbs.

How useful ARE the pedals? Might be OK on flat ground but I doubt you're going uphill on pedal power.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 9:20:59 PM EDT
[#33]
You spin the pedals and look winded when the cops are about

Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:23:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By everready73:
This one does 30 plus and can get with dual batteries

https://www.juicedbikes.com/products/hyperscrambler-2?variant=31955921502272 for better range

View Quote

If I wanted something to commute on and could get away with only needing to do about 30MPH, I'd love something like that.

I think OP wants more of an electric "moped"... in the sense that a "moped" is more of a small motorcycle that happens to have pedals.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top