Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/26/2021 11:34:40 PM EDT
Glad the rain prevented me from planting when I wanted to. I’d have lost everything lol
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:36:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hopefully I'll have seeds in the ground by next weekend
View Quote
It is currently 28F.  The ground is frozen solid with snow on top of it.  

28 is weirdly warm for this time of year but, the shovel is going to break, not the ground
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:36:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hopefully I’ll have seeds in the ground by next weekend
View Quote

Lucky.  I still have at least 2 months left of this God forsaken winter.  I need to get my hands in the dirt soon before I go crazy.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:41:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I have tons of tomato and pepper seeds ordered. Some have arrived. Peat pots are on the way.

Hoping to start 100+ tomato and pepper plants. We'll plant some and, if we have good success, we'll sell the rest of them to neighbors as a fun milk-money project for the kids.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:46:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Deleted
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:46:34 PM EDT
[#5]
couple months to go. overwintering and growing from seed indoors to get a jump
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:48:24 PM EDT
[#6]
It's legal to grow weed here now so I bet a bunch of people are planting indoors right now.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:49:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone use a greenhouse? I’ve been tempted to build myself one. Seems like it would be neat as hell to have.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:50:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, it’s gonna be 5° on Friday
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:50:36 PM EDT
[#9]
April 15th is about when I get started. We have frost in may sometimes.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:51:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Already started.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:52:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Pfft... southerners
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:53:44 PM EDT
[#12]
i'll plant mine indoors in another 3 or 4 weeks.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:54:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm in AZ, so maybe tomorrow when the snow melts away from my raised bed garden...

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:58:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm not going to lie.  I've wondered if the fire pit should go and the garden should return.  The decision is getting easier, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:03:00 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm thinking about it but not doing anything for at least 5 weeks.  I remember planting in March a few years ago and it was great.  Winter has been very mild here.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:03:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I forgot it’s still winter lol. I have to mow my lawn this weekend.
This year will be corn, cow peas, green beans, cucumbers, and butter beans.
View Quote

What variety of butter beans?

I like Jackson wonder

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:06:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:24:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Another three months before I can even till new compost into the garden before I can plant seed.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:38:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have tons of tomato and pepper seeds ordered. Some have arrived. Peat pots are on the way.

Hoping to start 100+ tomato and pepper plants. We'll plant some and, if we have good success, we'll sell the rest of them to neighbors as a fun milk-money project for the kids.

View Quote

Pm me. Tomatoes and peppers are the one thing I'm concernedabout as I dont have a good place to start seeds.
Just bought a 6 foot tiller today.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:41:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Probably some peas, spinach, maybe kale, and possibly some more broccoli.

Everything else will have to wait.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:41:13 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a month until I'm even starting seedlings inside.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:43:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Depends,
91 in Desert Center, Ca last week and it's going to be 1 in Silver Lake , Wi.tomorrow.
Work in one, and live in the other...
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:46:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Anyone use a greenhouse? I’ve been tempted to build myself one. Seems like it would be neat as hell to have.
View Quote

A very good investment. Extend your spring and fall a month or two in either end, possibly all year depending on your weather and if you heat it.

I’ve had cauliflower, broccoli, onions, carrots, beets, and garlic going since the end of last summer. Everything but the garlic should be ready to harvest in another month or two. For the last 3 months most days they never had any direct sunlight due to the angle of the sun & clouds, but they survived just fine.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:00:09 AM EDT
[#24]

I spent a chunk of today clearing out close to a foot of fresh snow, so I wont be planting for a while .
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:03:15 AM EDT
[#25]
The sun is out longer now. Two inches of ice and ground frozen a couple inches yet, more in some areas. Ive managed to keep alive in my garage a tray of left over summer kale it's about 30* in my garage. But it really doesn't matter you have to time the killing frost second week in June and first week in July(specially July 4th week). then you have to dodge the same thing right before harvest Sept. thru Oct(specially week of the 31st). You will need blankets and coverings or a heated green house. Snow in August fucks things up, like yer trees with fruit on them. June 1st. is planting day.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:20:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Can you get round up resistant vegetable seeds anywhere?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:57:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Usually mid March until Mid April here.
I stick with tomatoes, peppers, okra, and squash.
I grew up having to pick long rows of butter beans and peas. I just buy them now.
I hope to never pick another butter bean.  But I love to eat them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:59:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Check with your local seed and feed if you have one.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:44:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Currently harvesting tomatoes, sweet & hot peppers, radishes, kale, arugula, and turnips that were all planted at Halloween.  Eggplant and beans are just starting to bloom and set.  Brussels sprouts are a foot tall but no buds yet.  Just about ready to plant the spring/summer hot weather crops like okra, more peppers, watermelon, pumpkin, more 'maters, etc..

What is with that white mulch you guys up north put on your gardens every winter?  ??
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:47:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Not too long before I plant seeds in the make shift green house.  Long time before those go in the ground.    Last of April at the earliest.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:06:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Currently harvesting tomatoes, sweet & hot peppers, radishes, kale, arugula, and turnips that were all planted at Halloween.  Eggplant and beans are just starting to bloom and set.  Brussels sprouts are a foot tall but no buds yet.  Just about ready to plant the spring/summer hot weather crops like okra, more peppers, watermelon, pumpkin, more 'maters, etc..

What is with that white mulch you guys up north put on your gardens every winter?  ??
View Quote

Fried okra and some pickled hot peppers grown in the back yard, now that is living.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:06:58 AM EDT
[#32]
In about 4 months...
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:07:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Wife wants another garden this year. This is going to suck.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:21:10 AM EDT
[#34]
I will be in a few weeks, just removed the last of the winter garden.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:40:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Starting weaponized pepper seeds next week.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:45:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Sure.... in 4 months I'll worry about that
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:46:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was actually thinking of spraying roundup on my garden before working the soil. Any downside to this if planting seeds a week later?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:48:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
couple months to go. overwintering and growing from seed indoors to get a jump
View Quote

I have a couple of tomato plants still growing outside that I planted last spring/summer.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:49:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:49:49 AM EDT
[#40]
We had a frost May 5th last year, so I'm a little gunshy to start early this year. My wife ordered a ton of seeds from Southern Seed Exchange,  so I'm ready.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:52:59 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm ready to put in my tomatoes. Gotta do it early before it gets too hot. My winter tomatoes did okay and I am just now picking the last of them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:03:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I was actually thinking of spraying roundup on my garden before working the soil. Any downside to this if planting seeds a week later?
View Quote

No, though Rup only kills weeds on contact.  It turns inert on contact with the soil.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:09:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not unless you or the ole Lady photosynthesize. Personally, I like weeding my garden. Gives me something shitty to do.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:10:50 AM EDT
[#44]
I'd rather slam my dick in a sliding glass door than fuck with a garden. For YEARS the wife made me plow, till, plant only to have thousands invested in time and equipment for what? 5-6 lbs. of under sized semi-edible potatoes and onions? Nope. I found a guy that lives close to me that needed some ammo/weapon help and we worked a deal. His "garden" is for profit. He now has ammo and weapons and I have the best cucumbers, potatoes, squash, potatoes, greens and more on the planet. Now we plant tomatoes and peppers and herbs around the pool and enjoy OUR efforts very much. No more back braking mind numbing manual idiocy for me ever again. I have a seriously black if not missing thumb.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:13:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'd rather slam my dick in a sliding glass door than fuck with a garden. For YEARS the wife made me plow, till, plant only to have thousands invested in time and equipment for what? 5-6 lbs. of under sized semi-edible potatoes and onions? Nope. I found a guy that lives close to me that needed some ammo/weapon help and we worked a deal. His "garden" is for profit. He now has ammo and weapons and I have the best cucumbers, potatoes, squash, potatoes, greens and more on the planet. Now we plant tomatoes and peppers and herbs around the pool and enjoy OUR efforts very much. No more back braking mind numbing manual idiocy for me ever again. I have a seriously black if not missing thumb.
View Quote

Well you tried!!

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:14:49 AM EDT
[#46]
I'll have some seeds in seed starting trays under the lights in about 2 more weeks.  It'll have to do for now.  Ground is much hard, much frozen
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:15:39 AM EDT
[#47]
*Checks out window*
*Infinity white bullshit*
I'll check back in a couple months.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:26:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'm in AZ, so maybe tomorrow when the snow melts away from my raised bed garden...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20962/Snow_2021-01-26_0001_jpg-1798603.JPG

View Quote

BS!  That's not real, is it?!?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:31:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Look up Charles Dowding on YouTube.  He is a big proponent of the no till method. I tried it last year and had great success. No chemicals,  just lay down cardboard,  put 6" compost over the cardboard,  and plant directly into it. The cardboard kills whatever is underneath,  and by not tilling, there is very little weed pressure.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:35:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Look up Charles Dowding on YouTube.  He is a big proponent of the no till method. I tried it last year and had great success. No chemicals,  just lay down cardboard,  put 6" compost over the cardboard,  and plant directly into it. The cardboard kills whatever is underneath,  and by not tilling, there is very little weed pressure.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My garden is ~75’x150’
That’s a lot of cardboard lol
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top