User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:22:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know plenty of people working in FedGov agencies that still use fax machines regularly.  
View Quote
A return receipt from a fax is admissible in most courts as proof of delivery. Email is not.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:39:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes I used Visicalc on a TRASH-80 in College.  
We also used a professor written Project Management CPM Program that took 8 hours to run an 80 activity network...
The following year they replaced the TRASH-80's with KayPros, and they would run the same 80 activity network in 5 minutes!
Cutting edge stuff back then.
Learned to program in BASIC
And Used HP Reverse Polish Calculators.
I went down and bought the HP-41CX after getting my first credit card sent to me.
(I also know how to use a slide rule, )
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:42:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The email surprises me.
I worked for a firm where many people used outlook as a document management system.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

law is traditionally one seriously-Luddite profession.  

I know of 65yo lawyers who absolutely REFUSE to enter their time into the computer system.  "That's my secretary's job."  So instead, they spend more time handwriting it onto paper to give to the secretary than if they just entered their time as they went.  

They also don't send or receive email.

The email surprises me.
I worked for a firm where many people used outlook as a document management system.

the "I don't do email" is an older-lawyer thing.  Like 70+.

On the other hand, trying to get lawyers from 50-70 to use a document management system, or a case management system like Clio, Basecamp, etc. can be one helluva challenge too.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:42:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I bet you used a slide rule too, old man.
View Quote

Back in my day, it was part of the 7th grade mathematics course work. We also learned how to use a abacus.

Oh, 1-2-3 sucks. I had to turn off automatic recalculation because it bogged my IBM XT.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:45:59 PM EDT
[#5]

The VisiCalc 0.0

The VisiCalc 0.1

Used both kinds.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:46:26 PM EDT
[#6]
When I learned VisiCalc the formulas started with @. In Excel you can use a +. When I was teaching some employees how to write some excel formulas and one person asked why I kept starting with @
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:57:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I used VisiCalc on my IBM XT with a whopping 10 meg drive. It made inventory at the job a lot easier. The only other computer was at company headquarters. When I was building IBM-compatible computers, the gold standard test was to run Lotus 1-2-3 and IBM PC DOS, not just MS DOS. I miss those days.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:59:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:07:18 PM EDT
[#9]
A little.  Found Supercalc worked better for what I was doing. I was working in an office supply store as the world transitioned to the "paperless office."  Like them or not Apple and IBM brought a lot of stability and uniformity to what was rapidly becoming a swamp of different DOSs, dozens of different disk sizes and formats and all that.  Xerographic copying and printing also allowed for massive shifts in work practices, although multipart forms still remain somewhat common, used with impact printers, things like carbon paper, multipage copysets, one write accounting forms and the like have practically disappeared.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:20:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I was too young to ever learn VisiCalc.  Started using Excel on a Macintosh around 1987 I think.

My dad used to use VisiCalc for work when I was a kid.  He used to brag about how he could pull together bids so quickly, and his customers were impressed that he could come back with an answer to a proposed change within minutes.

Much later in my career, I spent a crap ton of time converting old Lotus 1-2-3 spreadsheets and macros to Excel.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:11:46 PM EDT
[#11]
too young

But I did learn to use Lotus 123 in High School in 1991
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:20:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

learned how to use one at Field Artillery school.  Once you figure out how to use it, it's damn fast.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

learned how to use one at Field Artillery school.  Once you figure out how to use it, it's damn fast.

My dad was a wiz at that stuff. Years ago I hired one of my dads old sergeants to be a sales rep for my company.

He recognized my name and said my dad was the smartest officer he ever knew because he could explain how to do things like that so even the dumbest guys could handle it.

My dad was amazed the guy was still alive, much less working because he was an old man back then.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:49:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Little before my time, though I was pretty aware it existed.

My family got our first computer (the original IBM PC 5150 - used) in...I want say 1989. I was just a kid, and not really into spreadsheets.

Pretty sure VisiCalc was dead by then, anyway.
View Quote

According to Wiki, Lotus bought VisiCalc in 1985, and killed.
IBM bought Lotus in 1995, and finally killed it in 2013. RIP the / command.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:50:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
i would love to purchase a slide rule and learn how to use it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:57:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Remember both.  

You aren't old.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:00:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I am 51 and can remember helping my grandfather with it when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:07:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
On a Trash 80 no less.
View Quote

This. I was in Computer Science course doing FORTRAN when a roomful of those popped up and the business people liked it. They were sneered at by the people who ran "real computers".
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:25:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I always wanted one of these

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:26:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I remember using VisiCalc.

If you want a real blast from the past, who learned coding on Apple's Logo, where you steered a turtle around the screen to draw graphics?
View Quote

Turtle graphics, man!!
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:30:33 PM EDT
[#22]
CPA - Still using Wordperfect 2012 and lotus 123 2013 - on a windows 10 professional machine.  Learned Dbase III, Wordstar & Lotus in college 87/88.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

There was also the red-haired step-child, Quatro Pro.
View Quote

IIRC Visicalc was the only reason that lots of businesses used to justify buying an overpriced Apple computer.

The dos copy-cat program was called Supercalc. Was bigger, more capable than Visicalc, but Apple had a stranglehold for a while.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:43:31 PM EDT
[#24]
I recently threw away a water logged 8 inch visicalc basic floppy not too long ago while cleaning the basement.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top