Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2022 2:50:49 PM EDT
Thinking on starting to tinker with servicing some of my watches, cheaper, non running, etc.
Comments and advice would be welcome. Other websites might be better for this subject, but, whatever.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 3:46:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Unreformed66
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 3:50:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Watch Wristwatch Revival on youtube.  It's also not a cheap hobby by any measure.  A lot of the tools are crazy money. Pinion puller, mainspring winder etc.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 5:58:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been watching that channel a lot lately.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 6:00:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I figure that my hands are steadier than that under a microscope, but, then again, I'm not trying to record video.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:04:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Does anyone know if the mainspring rusts?
About 12 years ago I picked up an Omega 2500C movement which had been flooded, don't know if it was salt or fresh water. It is not frozen and everything moves, if a little stiff.
This is ultimately where I would like to get to and try and build a franken-watch with it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 9:02:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Modern mainsprings normally don't rust.  They're no longer made of carbon steel.
Most modern watches mainsprings are sealed in a barrel, basically a tiny can and that offers a lot of protection.
However, most other parts can and definitely will rust away and rust FAST if moisture infiltrates the case.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 4:35:34 PM EDT
[#7]
This movement was soaked at some point. The date wheel had no numbers left on it.
I can post pics if anyone wants to see what I'm working with.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 5:01:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been tinkering with them a couple of years and I would recommend you pick up some pocket watch movements on Ebay and start there. As Marshall says, they are bigger and easier to learn on than wrist-watch movements. I have found that to be very true. Once you've gotten the basics down you can move on to smaller movements.

Try to pick up some running movements so you can at least get some experience tearing down and reassembly without having to fix it. Again, once you have the basics you can progress to repairing.

As far as tools, most of the common hand tools you can pick up from China (Aliexpress, DHGate etc.) for very cheap, but don't cheap out on screwdrivers or specialty tools. I picked up a used staking set for $250 and am now looking for a crystal install press. You may want to get an ultrasonic cleaner as well. Most movements I have purchased have been extremely dirt and never serviced.

Buy books, watch YouTube and you should be well on your way.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 5:21:00 PM EDT
[#9]
First victim,  I mean patient:

Removed balance bridge, palette fork, and automatic bridge assembly. Verified wheel train was free to roll, and then reassembled.

Not a service though, as I lack a movement holder, oiler, or oils. More of a test run.
The microscope has a polarizer to eliminate glare, it makes a huge difference.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 5:26:44 PM EDT
[#10]
And this is the beast I hope to someday get running.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:49:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice Omega movement. I'm jealous. All I have are Seikos.

The hairspring looks a little off center. Let us know what you find when your get it apart.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 1:28:25 PM EDT
[#12]
In the process of building up a parts washer from scrap I have laying around, still need to come up with a basket.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top