Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:26:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hydrogen and carbon being exposed to heat and pressure.
like a refinery.
View Quote

Refineries use fractional distillation of the various hydrocarbons.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:26:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I agree with the OP.

Dinosaurs my ass. It’s a “renewable” resource that the earth continues to produce.

Scarcity is the model of control.
View Quote

Well, that changes things...
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:27:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The fossilized shells of Diatoms are mined locally here, Diatomaceous Earth.
View Quote

We use that shit to filter pool water.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:28:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

And again, nobody with a brain thinks crude oil comes from dinosaurs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I agree with the OP.

Dinosaurs my ass. It's a "renewable" resource that the earth continues to produce.

And again, nobody with a brain thinks crude oil comes from dinosaurs.

lol, no duh...

...it came from dinosaurs
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:30:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Correct. Diatoms.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I agree with the OP.

Dinosaurs my ass. It's a "renewable" resource that the earth continues to produce.

No one said it was all dinosaurs.
Except schools with textbooks.

If they are, they need to be tossed. Dinosaurs never had the biomass to produce the reserves we had/have.

Think much smaller.

I have always assumed it was algae or similar.

Correct. Diatoms.

Like quarks?...
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:34:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Weak case. Going with no until there’s a better argument.

Only in GD would the origin of petrochemicals be a conspiracy theory.
View Quote

GD is special in a lot of ways.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:45:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

(1) The term is 'abiogenic', not 'abiotic'.

(2)  If oil formed in the mantle, there would be large scale oil seepage along fault lines - particularly at oceanic rift zones.

View Quote

(1)  It's both.

(2)  There are.

(A)  Oil seeps, General.

(B)  Oil Seeps along fault lines.

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:46:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm on the fence. Could be, could not be.
But we didn't stop using whale oil because we ran out of whales
We can turn sunlight into electricity without plants, pressure, or huge amounts of time.

ETA: A biogenic source could be tiny, but still possible. Would it give us unlimited oil? Of course not.
View Quote

That was actually a big part of the switch to mineral oils. Near-extinction of key species drove the voyage costs sky high.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:46:32 PM EDT
[#9]
we are fairly certain that a large % of the oil we extract has a biological basis (not dinosaurs but algae and plankton iirc)

is it possible there are non-biological sources?  We can't rule it out without a lot more research.

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:48:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I do too.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:50:39 PM EDT
[#11]
@Firearmsenthusiast

IIRC the first scientist to propose the idea (or at least produce research) was a Soviet. I'm rusty on the history here but I believe his research was not debunked but rather ran against prevailing ideas to some degree in attempt to discredit anything of truly impactful substance that may have been discovered under the Communist system.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:51:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:00:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I want to know how fast oil is being generated. It seems that we haven't even tapped more than 20% of known deposits, and that number keeps going down as we discover more deposits/gain access to new technology.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:02:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Are you talking about the liquefaction of dead dinos that made our oil?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:06:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

(2)  There are.

(A)  Oil seeps, General.

View Quote

Only where the plates are old enough to have sufficient organic material deposited, and pretty rare at plate margins overall  It is unheard of at ocean rifts. If abiogenic oil production were true, there would be tons of seeps at these points - especially where oceanic plates meet as the crust is especially thin at these places.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The theory in a nutshell: oil comes from a deep geological process that doesn't involve dead dinosaurs.
View Quote

Then it has much in common with the accepted biological theory - that doesn't really involve dinosaurs either.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:07:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't believe in the abiotic theory.  Fossil fuel is a misnomer.  It's actually biomass, which is not the same as fossils.

It accumulated over hundreds of millions of years.  Most people cannot imagine a million years, much less 300 million years, and what can happen over that length of time.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:08:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:08:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Are you talking about the liquefaction of dead dinos that made our oil?
View Quote

Apparently most of it is not from dinos, but from little plants in the ocean, and then there's some evidence that some is not from biological sources. I would like to know how fast it's being generated. I guess no one really knows, but what we do know is that there are hundreds of years of known supply, and by then we'll have some other technologies to handle energy needs.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:11:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Apparently most of it is not from dinos, but from little plants in the ocean, and then there's some evidence that some is not from biological sources. I would like to know how fast it's being generated. I guess no one really knows, but what we do know is that there are hundreds of years of known supply, and by then we'll have some other technologies to handle energy needs.
View Quote

See my recent thread on the book "Fossil Future" by Alex Epstein.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:12:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Then it has much in common with the accepted biological theory - that doesn't really involve dinosaurs either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The theory in a nutshell: oil comes from a deep geological process that doesn't involve dead dinosaurs.

I almost typed "biological sources" instead of "dinosaurs," just so I wouldn't get aktually'd.
I thought, "nahh, people in GD aren't that pedantic - they'll realize it's a bit tongue-in-cheek."

I was wrong.

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:54:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Only where the plates are old enough to have sufficient organic material deposited, and pretty rare at plate margins overall  It is unheard of at ocean rifts. If abiogenic oil production were true, there would be tons of seeps at these points - especially where oceanic plates meet as the crust is especially thin at these places.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(2)  There are.

(A)  Oil seeps, General.

"Oil seeps naturally from cracks in the seafloor into the ocean. Lighter than seawater, the oil floats to the surface. Some 20 to 25 tons of oil are emitted each day. (Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution)

"What are Oil Seeps? As much as one half of the oil that enters the coastal environment comes from natural seeps of oil and natural gas."

https://www.whoi.edu/know-your-ocean/ocean-topics/how-the-ocean-works/seafloor-below/natural-oil-seeps/

Seriously...I'm not being critical.  Do you have financial interest in EV's?

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:01:44 PM EDT
[#23]
No, I don’t believe this theory.

But even if I did, the theory about the elites is wrong.  They need consumers to maintain and grow their wealth.  The more consumers the better.  They don’t look to push down further a middle class sod in America while flying to their private islands in their private jets.  Rather they look at how to extract more money from him.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:09:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
oil and natural gas is 100% dinosaur no question. anyone who says otherwise is stupid.
The science is settled.
View Quote

If methane has to come from biological processes, explain where Titan gets methane rain and lakes.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:09:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
No, I don’t believe this theory.

But even if I did, the theory about the elites is wrong.  They need consumers to maintain and grow their wealth.  The more consumers the better.  They don’t look to push down further a middle class sod in America while flying to their private islands in their private jets.  Rather they look at how to extract more money from him.
View Quote

I think ('m not wedded to this idea) you are not correct.

Forget about the petro theory for a moment. I believe you give the elites WAY too much credibility. In every societal collapse, stupidity is a key element.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:14:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

"Oil seeps naturally from cracks in the seafloor into the ocean. Lighter than seawater, the oil floats to the surface. Some 20 to 25 tons of oil are emitted each day. (Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution)

"What are Oil Seeps? As much as one half of the oil that enters the coastal environment comes from natural seeps of oil and natural gas."

https://www.whoi.edu/know-your-ocean/ocean-topics/how-the-ocean-works/seafloor-below/natural-oil-seeps/

View Quote

Tons in not the literal sense of a unit of measure, I meant it as saying they would be very common if oil was primarily formed as a mantle process.

But you just proved my point. 25 tons is next to nothing in the scale of oil deposits, that's equivalent to 183 barrels. Total proven and suspected oil reserves is around 4.5 trillion barrels. The real number is certainly higher than that.

And the quote you mentioned is saying 'enters the coastal environment'. So using your own quotation, they are small in scale and limited to areas where there would be continental crust. If mantle formation through abiogenic process were real, you would have hundreds or thousands of times that volume seeping all along plate boundaries. It would be most common at the intersection of oceanic plates as you have both a gap/seam and also the crust itself is much thinner.

I have no interest in EVs, nor do I think oil is a scarce resource. There is an abundance of it untapped that is either unfound or simply not touched due to economics of recovery. I simply believe the theory you are supporting is incorrect.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:15:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Does this mean Sinclair has to change their logo?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:18:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If methane has to come from biological processes, explain where Titan gets methane rain and lakes.
View Quote

Google is your friend on this one.

Also, methane is a very simple hydrocarbon, while crude oil hydrocarbons are typically much more complex long chain hydrocarbons.  That's why they have to be refined and recombined into useful things.

tl;dr Methane does not have to be biotic in origin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methane

"The two main routes for geological methane generation are (i) organic (thermally generated, or thermogenic) and (ii) inorganic (abiotic).[11] Thermogenic methane occurs due to the breakup of organic matter at elevated temperatures and pressures in deep sedimentary strata. Most methane in sedimentary basins is thermogenic; therefore, thermogenic methane is the most important source of natural gas. Thermogenic methane components are typically considered to be relic (from an earlier time). Generally, formation of thermogenic methane (at depth) can occur through organic matter breakup, or organic synthesis. Both ways can involve microorganisms (methanogenesis), but may also occur inorganically. "
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:22:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
oil and natural gas is 100% dinosaur no question. anyone who says otherwise is stupid.
The science is settled.

Nobody is talking about Methane.

The subject is crude oil.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:27:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Also, methane is a very simple hydrocarbon, while crude oil hydrocarbons are typically much more complex long chain hydrocarbons.  That's why they have to be refined and recombined into useful things.

"The two main routes for geological methane generation are (i) organic (thermally generated, or thermogenic) and (ii) inorganic (abiotic).[11] Thermogenic methane occurs due to the breakup of organic matter at elevated temperatures and pressures in deep sedimentary strata. Most methane in sedimentary basins is thermogenic; therefore, thermogenic methane is the most important source of natural gas. Thermogenic methane components are typically considered to be relic (from an earlier time). Generally, formation of thermogenic methane (at depth) can occur through organic matter breakup, or organic synthesis. Both ways can involve microorganisms (methanogenesis), but may also occur inorganically. "
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And of course methane can transform to longer chain hydrocarbons, right?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:41:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Tons in not the literal sense of a unit of measure, I meant it as saying they would be very common if oil was primarily formed as a mantle process.

But you just proved my point. 25 tons is next to nothing in the scale of oil deposits, that's equivalent to 183 barrels. Total proven and suspected oil reserves is around 4.5 trillion barrels. The real number is certainly higher than that.

And the quote you mentioned is saying 'enters the coastal environment'. So using your own quotation, they are small in scale and limited to areas where there would be continental crust. If mantle formation through abiogenic process were real, you would have hundreds or thousands of times that volume seeping all along plate boundaries. It would be most common at the intersection of oceanic plates as you have both a gap/seam and also the crust itself is much thinner.

I have no interest in EVs, nor do I think oil is a scarce resource. There is an abundance of it untapped that is either unfound or simply not touched due to economics of recovery. I simply believe the theory you are supporting is incorrect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just give up.  OK?

"The Santa Barbara seeps, for example emit 5,280 to 6,600 gallons (nearly 20 to 25 tons) of oil per day"...........................................

JUST.     ONE.     SEEP.  

THIS IS JUST ONE OIL SEEP, FOLKS.

And no.  You wouldn't NECESSARILY have whatever number comes to your mind as to seeps.  You'd have whatever number was requisite by the natural conditions present which we have seen now exceeds what you think. And is an unknown number, quite probably exceeding the number we know today.

It's OK to do one's own investigation, folks.  Have at it.  It's quite fascinating.

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:56:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Just give up.  OK?

"The Santa Barbara seeps, for example emit 5,280 to 6,600 gallons (nearly 20 to 25 tons) of oil per day"...........................................

JUST.     ONE.     SEEP.  

And no.  You wouldn't NECESSARILY have whatever number comes to your mind as to seeps.  You'd have whatever number was requisite by the natural conditions present which we have seen now exceeds what you think. And is an unknown number, quite probably exceeding the number we know today.

It's OK to do one's own investigation, folks.  Have at it.  It's quite fascinating.

View Quote

Still peanuts, and still at a continental plate margin.

Everything I said is both valid and supported by the very evidence you are presenting.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:59:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Everything I said is both valid and supported by the very evidence you are presenting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just give up.  OK?

JUST.     ONE.     SEEP.  

OK.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:09:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

And of course methane can transform to longer chain hydrocarbons, right?
View Quote

Yeah, there's even a patent on the process:

https://patents.justia.com/patent/5817904

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:15:23 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm just waiting for the day that we finally get to Mars and start drilling and find oil there.

That's going to blow a lot of people's minds in a lot of different areas of human existence.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:21:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
40+ years in the oil business.  Don't buy the abiotic thing.

That being said, there is still a LOT of oil waiting to be used.

People ask me, "how many years of oil do we have?".

The correct answer is to ask, "at what price".

We have been pretty good at producing more oil with improved technology (fracking, horizontal drilling, seismic surveying, etc.).

No EV for me!
View Quote

I wonder how many decades it would take for the price of oil to reach the inflation adjusted price of today's EVs?

We really shouldn't be doing EVs until it makes economic sense.  Right now it doesn't.  Maybe in 100 years it will.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:25:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I wonder how many decades it would take for the price of oil to reach the inflation adjusted price of today's EVs?

We really shouldn't be doing EVs until it makes economic sense.  Right now it doesn't.  Maybe in 100 years it will.
View Quote

If it made economic sense, they wouldn't have to offer massive tax incentives to buy them.  Tesla sold its first car about 14 years ago.  How long do they need the taxpayer-funded training wheels?  Follow the money trail.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:26:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If it made economic sense, they wouldn't have to offer massive tax incentives to buy them.  Tesla sold its first car about 14 years ago.  How long do they need the taxpayer-funded training wheels?  Follow the money trail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

See OP.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:27:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct. Diatoms.

So why do we find diatomaceous earth and chalk deposits, if these microbes turn into petroleum?  Why didn't these deposits become petroleum too?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:27:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Might help if you share details of a theory no one know about..
View Quote

Exactly! Slow down with the details there Op.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:31:24 PM EDT
[#41]
If there’s an abiotic process, I don’t think it’s been proven.

Want to see biotic process in action? Go to a peat bog.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:31:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

So why do we find diatomaceous earth and chalk deposits, if these microbes turn into petroleum?  Why didn't these deposits become petroleum too?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct. Diatoms.

Do a search on Diatoms. They are an organism with a silica shell/casing. The shell can last for millions of years.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:34:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look up Thomas Gold. He plagiarized the theory from some Russians that came up with this “idea” in the 50’s.

There is no proof, or evidence, to prove the theory.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:35:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No hard feelings but the OP is, after all:

"Who here subscribes to the abiotic theory of petroleum origin?"

Meaning I was curious who knew about it and subscribed to it.  

Your question is legit tho.

But basically, in really rough terms, it is that crude petroleum is generated within the earth's crust geologically, NOT by dead plants or animals.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:35:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
No, I don't believe this theory.

But even if I did, the theory about the elites is wrong.  They need consumers to maintain and grow their wealth.  The more consumers the better.  They don't look to push down further a middle class sod in America while flying to their private islands in their private jets.  Rather they look at how to extract more money from him.
View Quote

They don't care about money.  They deal in power.  It isn't enough for them to have a whole lot more money than you, because there are some things they simply can't  pay people to do.  For those things, they need power, so that they can force the people who can't be bought.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:35:38 PM EDT
[#46]
The abiotic oil nonsense was promoted by creationists to explain the pesky detail of oil fields on a 6000 year old planet. It's as dumb now as it was then, and OP is dumb for even posting it.

There are more naturally occurring nuclear reactors on Earth than abiotic oil fields.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklo_Mine

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:41:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had some coal samples around here somewhere with fossil leaves in it.  Can't find it now.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:46:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Just give up.  OK?

JUST.     ONE.     SEEP.  

View Quote

I believe it. Go to any beach there & walk barefoot. You will come home with black tar on your feet. Removed with mineral oil.

I grew up there. Oil companies were always fighting the granola weenies. The ocean rigs have some of the best fishing though.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:49:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I had some coal samples around here somewhere with fossil leaves in it.  Can't find it now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well they very well may even if the abiotic hypo is correct.

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:58:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But does it come from dinosaurs? Or the bacteria that consumed all the dead fauna?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top