Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 2/24/2021 9:16:48 AM EDT
I got to wondering how many people don’t own crypto and why. Is it a matter of distrust, or are you simply disinterested/indifferent to it? Do you feel it’s a scheme? Worried that it will vanish, or be outlawed? Maybe you were like me and saw the various crypto threads over the years here and just didn’t follow along. Not making a judgment on anyone’s reasoning.,,just simply curious.

Crypto has caught the attention of the masses and even more recently big institutional firms. What keeps you away?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:18:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Severe lack of intelligence and knowledge on my part
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:19:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Maybe I should, but I don't give a fuck about that shit.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:21:40 AM EDT
[#3]
It requires more faith than the US dollar, which I have no faith in anymore.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:21:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This. I've been interested in it for a while, but haven't spent the time to learn how to get into it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:23:05 AM EDT
[#5]
To me crypto currencies are another form of fiat money. It's only worth what people believe it to be. It's not backed by anything. It fluctuates greatly at times.
I'd rather purchase something tangible, but that's just me.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:23:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Dont get into it if you cant watch 10% swings on a regular basis without panicking.

The past two days have been a lot of fun
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:23:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This. I've been interested in it for a while, but haven't spent the time to learn how to get into it.
View Quote

It's as easy as creating a profile / registering on coinbase, binance, etc.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:24:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Bitcoin to a million in a few years. Better get on the train while it's still cheap. I'm buying every time i have some cash accumulated in my bank.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:25:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It requires more faith than the US dollar, which I have no faith in anymore.
View Quote

Might be why this is catching on.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:26:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, and I’d rather put my money into tangible assets like guns, mags, and ammo, food, preps, beer, partying, etc.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:26:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I guess I do technically? The wife and I both took $25 and invested it separately. We are going to see who has more after 3 months.

I bought doge stock and some stock in a marijuana  company......
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:28:47 AM EDT
[#12]
None of the exchanges ever approve my account applications. I can buy it through the Cash app, buy you can't transfer Bitcoins the way it was meant to be done, it's not in your wallet. It's on their platform, and you have to convert to cash, then transfer that either to your bank or another Cash app user.

I tried buying Bitcoin back in 2012. Again, I go through the onerous process of submitting photos of my passport and drivers license and swear that I'm not a terrorist or money launderer. While I wait for them to approve my account for months, the exchange I was trying to buy it through collapsed, and hundreds of millions of dollars in Bitcoin vanished. That made me think Bitcoin was kind of sketch. It looks like most of the kinks have been worked out though.

Oh, and then I wanted to try buying a share of an Ethereum mining pool. I go through the process, and again I have problems setting things up and getting my account funded. I contact the mining pool, they tell me it's an issue with the payment service they require me to go through. I contact the payment service, never hear from them. I just always have trouble with crypto.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:29:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Dont get into it if you cant watch 10% swings on a regular basis without panicking.

View Quote

They certainly were!
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:29:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Nope.
I barely trust the stock market and it has slightly more oversight.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:30:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Nope.
I know basically nothing about it or how to even begin.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:33:43 AM EDT
[#16]
That’s why I buy Gold from...
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:34:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Cryptocurrency seemed to me to have more utility as a speculative investment than a usable currency, and, until recently, I wasn’t interested in (i.e. couldn’t afford to) invest heavily, especially into highly speculative stuff.  I recently inherited some retirement accounts, and, as someone who probably won’t retire himself for another 30ish years, now I’m much more interested in getting into this kind of stuff.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:34:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Been tempted to try but have more questions than answers
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:35:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same. Too old, too dumb.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:37:13 AM EDT
[#20]
You're asking why I don't gamble on something that only has value because people are gambling on other people gambling that people will consider it valuable? No thanks...
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:37:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Nope.
View Quote

This. I did some research and was unable to wrap my head around how to even get started. I think I just lack the necessary knowledge base.  

If someone were to hold my hand and walk me through the process I probably would give it a shot.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:37:39 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm not.  I like tangible assets.

Copper, silver, gold, maybe a little platinum.

chango78 hit the nail on the head.  How much for those electrons? lol
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:38:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Crypto will face regulation at some point.  It is already used by criminal organizations and terrorist groups to move funds.  There is no bank in the world that can move funds the way many of the exchanges do, keep little to no records and not run afoul of some government body that wants their slice.  

The question will be how close to the jumping off point can we get out.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:39:28 AM EDT
[#24]
I like the idea, but I have no idea where to start, what to buy, etc.

From what I can tell the only one worth a damn is bitcoin, but I can't afford that.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:39:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Concern that its value will evaporate even faster than fiat money at some point.

It still has to be liquidated to be spent now, requiring an extra transaction step.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:40:22 AM EDT
[#26]
None here..........Fake scam that can vanish just as fast as it came around..... Opinion - A 50+ year old cardboard box of 50 22lr rounds has more real value......
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:41:52 AM EDT
[#27]
I think it's brilliant and I admire the people who got in on it early on.

I did not. I could have bought it way, way under $1. But I did not.

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:41:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What keeps you away?
View Quote

Like any investment, it's hard to pull the trigger after such a wild run up.

Quoted:
I think it's brilliant and I admire the people who got in on it early on.

I did not. I could have bought it way, way under $1. But I did not.

View Quote

Quite some time ago "mining" was becoming all the rage in high performance computing. I virtually had the parts for a new build in my Newegg cart, but I never followed through.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:42:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:43:29 AM EDT
[#30]
This thread should be entertaining. I love hearing old and out of touch guys talk shit about what they don't understand.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:44:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Bitcoin to a million in a few years. Better get on the train while it's still cheap. I'm buying every time i have some cash accumulated in my bank.
View Quote

Name checks out
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:45:20 AM EDT
[#32]
poors. poors are not into crypto.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:45:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Nope.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Nope.

That's where I'm at.  I guess I'm too old to understand.  I just keep stacking Gold and Silver instead.

Quoted:
This thread should be entertaining. I love hearing old and out of touch guys talk shit about what they don't understand.

Not talking shit.   Some of us just don't "get it."
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:45:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Me...  I've been needing a video card and can't buy one because of crypto...
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:46:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You're asking why I don't gamble on something that only has value because people are gambling on other people gambling that people will consider it valuable? No thanks...
View Quote

so what do you use instead of US dollars?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:46:15 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm 29 and I'm not involved and none of my friends are. We just don't understand it enough to want to get involved, and haven't taken the time to try and learn either.

For me personally there is a lot of distrust in dropping big money on a digital currency. It just seems too volatile and less trustworthy than our already questionable currencies.

I always assumed it could be hacked, seized or shut down by some government, have the value drop back to nothing, or be hard to convert to other currency or items where I live, .etc, but maybe that's just a lack of knowledge again on my end though.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:46:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

How do you feel about explaining to the old and out of touch guys what you understand?

Or was the intent of your post to tell us about how much more you know than the old and out of touch guys?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:47:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
None here..........Fake scam that can vanish just as fast as it came around..... Opinion - A 50+ year old cardboard box of 50 22lr rounds has more real value......
View Quote

Well the $500 increase in my balance the past 24 hours is actually worth more than your 50 year old box of 22lr.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:48:05 AM EDT
[#39]
I didn't and still don't understand the mining of it. With that being said, I have very little into it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:49:04 AM EDT
[#40]
I’m here to learn something
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:49:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Too volatile for me, I know there's money to be made but I don't want to look after it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:49:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Don't know much about it and already have currency that can go "poof" and be gone in an instant.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:49:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’m hoping for a calm discussion so those who aren’t in crypto can share why without having to be on defense.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:50:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

So break it down for the class...
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:51:29 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm too dumb to understand crypto.
But I'm smart enough to know that I'm too dumb to understand it.

I have considered jumping in several times over the last few years, and I could definitely have made some money by now if I had.
In the long run it looks like any crypto is vulnerable to whoever has the deepest pockets tho.
As far as I can tell, there is not much difference between crypto currencies and fiat currencies. If the only reason for it's increasing value is scarcity, I feel like at some point something cooler will come along and replace it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:52:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

this

J-
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:54:28 AM EDT
[#47]
I have no use for it.
I'm getting along just fine in life without it.
Kind of like how i feel about Glocks...
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:54:43 AM EDT
[#48]
This guy is almost impossible to listen to, but I thought it was a good explanation of how bitcoins are mined.

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:55:21 AM EDT
[#49]
dont care
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:56:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

They certainly were!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They certainly were!

HODL
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top