Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2021 9:33:39 PM EDT
I love cold drinks both adult and non.

To me ice makes the drink. I want a small nugget hate chicken type (good ice).

They range tree fiddy to $600 ish. Are they worth it?  If so, what one do you have and recommend?
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:38:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Is that somehow better than one built into the door of a refrigerator?
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:41:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Even if the freezer didn't make whatever fuckin shape he is looking for, I would just buy ice trays that do and stick in the freezer for like $15.

$600 for an ice maker...
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:41:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Opal ice, I’ve had one for four years now, it’s the best
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:41:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

The poors have arrived

Just kidding, I have no clue
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:42:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Get an opal
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 10:11:18 PM EDT
[#7]

I had two, Igloo and Frigidaire. Both quit after 9-12 months.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 10:13:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I went back to a silicone tray in the freezer. These.
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 10/22/2021 10:18:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Ge Opal 2.0

- makes great ice, wife loves it
- runs all the time (unless you shut it off)
- is not quiet
- takes FOREVER to fill the small ice reservoir

This is the nature of how this ice is produced. It’s a very inefficient process. If you want the good “hate chicken” ice it’s going to require a lot of energy to produce not a lot of ice. But if you want the best ice…
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 10:57:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I  bought one for $90 off of Amazon.  Works fine but the ice is melting as soon as it is made.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 11:31:07 PM EDT
[#11]
We bought one for $80 bucks.  It was fine but the bullet cubes were never really solid.  After about 3 months it started leaking daily so we tossed it.  At work, we have an Opal and it rocks.  Makes plenty of ice for our crew of about a dozen people.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 11:47:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I just hop in the CanAm and run up the hill a mile or so and grab 20 lbs. for $2. Rural living is so citified. My goodness it is just so difficult to live where people are friendly and there are services available. Damn. What a concept.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 11:56:02 PM EDT
[#13]
They are all likely manufactured by same plant in China.

Just get top rated on Amazon.

It's the one all the RV folks recommend.

I have a residential fridge in my rig, but that is the model the others all recommended for those looking.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 6:11:24 AM EDT
[#14]
I got a Frigidaire one this summer for $200 ish, seems to work fine.  

My reason for it is a little different  than most, I have an off grid cottage and the wife and kids go there for weeks at a time in the summer.  I have a propane fridge but the freezer is always full.  Even with a yeti cooler for drinks she was going to buy ice every 2 days.

I can run the icemaker no problem off the solar.  It draws very little power, I can even run it off an old school honda 350 watt generator on idle (150-200 watts)
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 6:17:08 AM EDT
[#15]
One of my family members has one.

It's noisy as all fuck.

Apparently, they haven't discovered that their refrigerator is capable of making ice yet.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 6:22:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Yea, you can get a fridge now that makes ice, automatically, some even have a dispenser on the outside of the door.
You just hold a cup up to it and press.
You even can get ones that dispense ice water too, on the outside, next to the ice.
Kinda like an all in one refreshment center.
High livin' at its best!
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 7:41:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yea, you can get a fridge now that makes ice, automatically, some even have a dispenser on the outside of the door.
You just hold a cup up to it and press.
You even can get ones that dispense ice water too, on the outside, next to the ice.
Kinda like an all in one refreshment center.
High livin' at its best!
View Quote

I've always found the built in ice makers to be the first part of the fridge that craps out. Used to cause so many headaches I stopped buying them for my rental units.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 7:46:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I've always found the built in ice makers to be the first part of the fridge that craps out. Used to cause so many headaches I stopped buying them for my rental units.
View Quote

I agree, Hell no, no icemakers in a rental, ice trays all the way.
Or tenants can buy bags of ice.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 8:01:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Go to Sonic and buy a bag.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 8:13:40 AM EDT
[#20]
I had the original Opal and was part of the kickstarter.

It works, the ice isn’t quite the same as sonic / chik filet.  Mainly because it goes into the melting state faster.

Getting ice out of the little tub isn’t super easy.  Kinda dumb really.

Thing is loud to my ears.  Has an app with built in timer but if you want ice for lunch it better be running by 10am.

Didn’t connect to a water supply so it  needed to be tended to often.

Heavy

I sold it after I found an large office model on Craigslist.  That beast is set up just around the corner in the laundry room.  Have it on a timer.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 8:16:41 AM EDT
[#21]
GBRSE
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 8:16:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Opal 2.0

Had it running full tilt for the past 6 months. Huge fan and the wife loves it
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 8:25:04 AM EDT
[#23]
We've had a clear ice maker for a year now. Totally like a glass of water with no 'floaties' in it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 8:57:08 AM EDT
[#24]
We have had the Della we bought on amazon for about 3 years now.  It is a little bigger than some other countertop units but has been pretty kick ass.

Seriously hear the first cubes land in the bin about 10 minutes after hitting on button.  in an hour you cant keep up with how much its making.

Had an appliance guy explain that all the new refrigerators with the energy star label suck.  The first thing they sacrifice is the ice maker.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 10:17:56 AM EDT
[#25]
We're on our second $109 Emerson in 15 years. They make 9 cubes every 9 minutes. The plastic gears on the first one broke after 6 years. This last one is 9 years old but I have had to fix it 4 times. Glad I kept the first one for parts. It easily makes enough ice for our 28 quart carry on boat cooler. It pretty much runs all day every day during the warm months.

Edit. These cubes suck for cocktails, their just not dense enough like clear ice. Great for other drinks and filling coolers though.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 11:17:58 AM EDT
[#26]
I have an ice maker in my freezer but doesn’t feed to the door and the cubes are too big. I want crushed or nugget ice.

These type makers are the best solution.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#27]
I've had an opal for years now, was in the first batch of orders.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 11:22:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Opal. It's loud though.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 2:22:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I love cold drinks both adult and non.

To me ice makes the drink. I want a small nugget hate chicken type (good ice).

They range tree fiddy to $600 ish. Are they worth it?  If so, what one do you have and recommend?
View Quote

aldi had one for 89 bucks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top