Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2021 6:14:55 PM EDT
I could eat them on everything. I will be sauteing these up tonight

Attachment Attached File

What's your favorite way to prepare them?
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 6:15:25 PM EDT
[#1]
A mushroom killed my sister.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 6:16:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Boy, that escalated quickly.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 6:17:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Mushrooms are food from the gods.

ETA: I could survive on mushrooms, cheese and black olives.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 6:18:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seriously?
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 6:18:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Really? Info?
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 6:22:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Really? Info?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really? Info?

She had a fungal infection in her sinus that grew into her brain.

Now, I use this as an excuse to not eat mushrooms (don't like the texture). My friend says I should eat more mushrooms out of revenge.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 6:25:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good God.... I bet your farts would be biblical.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 6:31:45 PM EDT
[#8]
We love them in all forms. My adult son won't touch them, even to the point of not eating yummy truffle fries.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:08:40 AM EDT
[#9]
@tominjax
Sorry I killed your thread.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:16:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I could eat them on everything. (snip)
What's your favorite way to prepare them?
View Quote

Sauteed in butter with Maldon salt, pepper, garlic, pinch of herbs du Provence and a dash of Worcestershire, deglazed with red wine, finished with a little more butter - and poured over a really good steak. That is one favorite. There are more.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:17:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
@tominjax
Sorry I killed your thread.
View Quote

Sorry for your loss man.

I agree you should eat them out of revenge.  Lousy, tasty sons of bitches.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:20:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Heck yes!
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:45:49 AM EDT
[#13]
I recently read an article saying that a huge multi-decade study has showed a 40% reduction in cancer (not type-specific) among people who ate 8oz a week of mushrooms.
I put them in many meals that I cook.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 2:50:02 AM EDT
[#14]
I'll choke down a mushroom, but never, ever, request such a hideous thing.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 3:09:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

No realli! She was Karving her initials on the mushrøøm with the sharpened end of an interspace tøøthbrush given her by Svenge - her brother-in-law - an Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian møvies: "The Høt Hands of an Oslo Dentist", "Fillings of Passion", "The Huge Mølars of Horst Nordfink"...
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 3:11:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Just recently got an oyster log.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 3:48:02 AM EDT
[#17]
I love them, can’t get enough.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 4:07:38 AM EDT
[#18]
I love me some ‘shrooms.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 4:14:43 AM EDT
[#19]
I like em.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 6:19:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Yes, these are my favorite.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 6:30:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Sautéed with onions on a steak.

Shiitake sliced and served in misoshiru.

Stuffed with crab.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 6:34:37 AM EDT
[#22]
I’d rather look at them than eat them.

These are everywhere right now.

[/url]
[/url]
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:01:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

No realli! She was Karving her initials on the mushrm with the sharpened end of an interspace tthbrush given her by Svenge - her brother-in-law - an Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian mvies: "The Ht Hands of an Oslo Dentist", "Fillings of Passion", "The Huge Mlars of Horst Nordfink"...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No realli! She was Karving her initials on the mushrm with the sharpened end of an interspace tthbrush given her by Svenge - her brother-in-law - an Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian mvies: "The Ht Hands of an Oslo Dentist", "Fillings of Passion", "The Huge Mlars of Horst Nordfink"...

Mynd you, a mushrm can be really nasti!

(Iunderstoodthatreferencememe)
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:04:16 AM EDT
[#24]
I agree!  They taste great, and some are actually excellent for your immune system!

I grow my own shiitakes!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Oak logs, a good solid day of work, shade, mushroom spores and you’ll have mushrooms for years!
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:23:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:24:47 AM EDT
[#26]
I was apprehensive on the idea of eating fungus. But, it grew on me.

Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:41:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Can't wait for the fall so I can forage for some more maitake and lions mane
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:44:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

A piece of good bread and butter with mine please.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:46:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I recently read an article saying that a huge multi-decade study has showed a 40% reduction in cancer (not type-specific) among people who ate 8oz a week of mushrooms.
I put them in many meals that I cook.
View Quote

@webtaz99

Turkey tail mushrooms have been shown to have some pretty significant health benefits, along with lions mane.  Best part is that they are found in most of the country.  

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/turkey-tail-mushroom
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:48:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:52:39 AM EDT
[#31]
I love mushrooms as well. I bought a blend like the one in the OP and it was good but one of the mushrooms had a almost fishy flavor. I couldnt really figure out which it was because i sautéed them all together. They were fresh too so it wasnt from it being bad.

I usually prefer shiitakes though.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 8:00:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Try as I might I never liked them.....It's sort of like liver and onions.....Smells great cooking but that's about it.

I bet I've gathered untold bushels of morels over the years while turkey hunting in the spring but I might have gagged down one or two to just see if I had developed a taste for them. I tried yet again this year....Nope.

I even carry a soft net bag with me so the spores can be redistributed tied to the small hunting pack I carry.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 8:06:34 AM EDT
[#33]
My wife made me watch that new mushroom documentary on netflix this weekend.  It was interesting and had some great time lapsed shots.  But it appeared there was some heavy “special” mushroom use by the folks in the video long term.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 8:10:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 8:35:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My wife made me watch that new mushroom documentary on netflix this weekend.  It was interesting and had some great time lapsed shots.  But it appeared there was some heavy “special” mushroom use by the folks in the video long term.
View Quote

Yeah, it was a portion of it for sure, but that said the documentary was just trying to cater to several different demographics.  Environmentalists, health nuts, dirt dorks (such as myself) and hippies.  I think it was just trying to touch on all the bases it could.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 8:47:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/2/2021 9:33:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/317173/051154B1-564F-4966-85B7-CE3FD207C020-1656526.jpg

Easily my favorite mushroom!  Morales may be a bit tastier, but the sheer bulk of maitake puts it in a class of its own.  On large cluster could last me a whole week.  Pan fried with a bit of butter, salt and garlic
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 9:56:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Easily my favorite mushroom!  Morales may be a bit tastier, but the sheer bulk of maitake puts it in a class of its own.  On large cluster could last me a whole week.  Pan fried with a bit of butter, salt and garlic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/317173/051154B1-564F-4966-85B7-CE3FD207C020-1656526.jpg

I love them. They are medicinal too.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:15:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been thinking of possibly drying and pulverizing them (or dusting em into a broth or something)
to throw into come capsules for ingestion during the other seasons when they're not fruiting.

Unfortunately I find once dried maitake doesn't really rehydrate all that well.  Same goes for most mushrooms ime
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:27:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Love them. Lots of shroom farms in my area so they’re fairly inexpensive.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:41:46 PM EDT
[#41]
I like mushroom in soup. If you go an Asian supermarket, they usually have 4 or 5 kinds at least in the produce section. There are the shitakes, the buttons, the enokis, oysters etc. I like cloud ears, it has a rather crunchy texture. I recommend that you cook all of this stuff. I boil mine in a soup with miso, tofu, carrots, celery, onions, and other veggies that I find in the 'fridge and at the end put in sliced beef that is barely cooked(you can still see a faint pink). I use Swenson's chicken broth.

I don't forage for this stuff because I don't trust myself, IF you eat the wrong kind, you could suffer severe organ damage and/or die.

I have eaten buttons raw, but most of the time my buttons are sautéed in butter, olive oil etc.

ETA/Downtrodden: The Asians dried shitake mushrooms all of the time, you can buy them at the herb store, they are ~$10/lb or so, for the cheap stuff, and they go up from there. The more expensive ones are hand selected for size and shape, but for me I usually slice them up and use them in soup etc.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I like mushroom in soup. If you go an Asian supermarket, they usually have 4 or 5 kinds at least in the produce section. There are the shitakes, the buttons, the enokis, oysters etc. I like cloud ears, it has a rather crunchy texture. I recommend that you cook all of this stuff. I boil mine in a soup with miso, tofu, carrots, celery, onions, and other veggies that I find in the 'fridge and at the end put in sliced beef that is barely cooked(you can still see a faint pink). I use Swenson's chicken broth.

I don't forage for this stuff because I don't trust myself, IF you eat the wrong kind, you could suffer severe organ damage and/or die.

I have eaten buttons raw, but most of the time my buttons are sautéed in butter, olive oil etc.

ETA/Downtrodden: The Asians dried shitake mushrooms all of the time, you can buy them at the herb store, they are ~$10/lb or so, for the cheap stuff, and they go up from there. The more expensive ones are hand selected for size and shape, but for me I usually slice them up and use them in soup etc.
View Quote

Thanks for the tip!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top