BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 2:37:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I brought the family to see it.  So far we are the only people in the theater 30 minutes before the show starts.  I figured there would be more interest but if it wasn't for this thread I wouldn't have known about it. Maybe they had poor marketing.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/680/IMG_20181111_133217_jpg-735407.JPG
View Quote
Thats even better for you.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 2:39:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I did it the first time.  Twice.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 2:47:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Do you really get that much of a different experience watching it in the theater vs. on your couch?  I mean, I’ve got a big screen, solid surround sound, I can completely relax or recline, I don’t have to spend the $14 or whatever it is, I have a have a fridge stocked full of food, and I can have my MP5 next to me for that “feel part of the action” element.

There are certain movies where I might understand, but mostly imax type stuff.  I’ve seen “Die Hard” 100x, and yeah, I’ll watch it every time I comes on.  I’m just not sure I’ll rush to the movie theater to do so
View Quote
Sometimes it’s good to go out and be a member of society. That’s what my wife tells me at least .
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 2:49:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Would love to but I have to work
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 3:31:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Got my santa hat, so my "Karls Brother" costume is complete.

Anyone else in Ft Worth going to see it?  I'm going to the one at Northeast Mall Rave at 7pm.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 3:53:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I brought the family to see it.  So far we are the only people in the theater 30 minutes before the show starts.  I figured there would be more interest but if it wasn't for this thread I wouldn't have known about it. Maybe they had poor marketing.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/680/IMG_20181111_133217_jpg-735407.JPG
View Quote
Best movie experience...no one there but you
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 3:56:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Seeing it tonight with some friends from work.  Like many, I saw it back in ‘88 and am super excited about seeing it on the big screen again.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 6:07:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sometimes it's good to go out and be a member of society. That's what my wife tells me at least .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you really get that much of a different experience watching it in the theater vs. on your couch?  I mean, I've got a big screen, solid surround sound, I can completely relax or recline, I don't have to spend the $14 or whatever it is, I have a have a fridge stocked full of food, and I can have my MP5 next to me for that "feel part of the action" element.

There are certain movies where I might understand, but mostly imax type stuff.  I've seen "Die Hard" 100x, and yeah, I'll watch it every time I comes on.  I'm just not sure I'll rush to the movie theater to do so
Sometimes it's good to go out and be a member of society. That's what my wife tells me at least .
That's why I did it.  To get out of the house, experience something together as a family, and interact with the rest of the world.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 6:24:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I remember seeing in the theatre.  30th anniversary.  Dang.  I'm getting old.  
View Quote
It's been so long l can't remember if l saw out in the theatre or not.  I probably did.

That said,  if it comes to town l will see it.  I doubt it does though.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:04:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Wife and I saw it today. Damn it’s such a good movie. The casting, the pacing, the shooting, story. It was glorious seeing and hearing it in the theater. Everyone was cracking up at all the one liners. Good stuff!!  That’s to OP for making me aware of it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:01:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wife and I saw it today. Damn it's such a good movie. The casting, the pacing, the shooting, story. It was glorious seeing and hearing it in the theater. Everyone was cracking up at all the one liners. Good stuff!!  That's to OP for making me aware of it.
View Quote
Since we got to the movie early they had some trivia questions on the screen about it. They used a real symphony for the music, real guns firing over charged blanks for extra effect, and full scale explosions around the the buildings.  Meaning they actually put effort into making the movie seem real.

People keep asking why it is Christmas movie.  In the theater with their sound system the Christmas music was noticeable throughout the entire movie.  The symphony played it, the characters were whistling it or humming it, and it was the elevator music.  Even during the action scenes you could faintly here Christmas theme music that the symphony produced.  They also said Merry Christmas over and over, just like Trump said this country used to do.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:09:05 AM EDT
[#12]
It's my 13yo son's favorite movie.  He doesn't know it yet, but I"m pulling him out of school early to take him to see it as a surprise, 2pm showing Wednesday.  Already have the tickets.

My dad took me to see it in the theaters 30 years ago.  So I'll tell my son in another 30 years he has to take HIS son to see it in the theaters.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:12:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Me is.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:16:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm looking forward to it it was one of the first dates way back in 1988 that I took my wife to when we were dating.

We are meeting for dinner when she gets off work, and then we are going to the movies Wednesday night
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:20:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Since we got to the movie early they had some trivia questions on the screen about it. They used a real symphony for the music, real guns firing over charged blanks for extra effect, and full scale explosions around the the buildings.  Meaning they actually put effort into making the movie seem real.

People keep asking why it is Christmas movie.  In the theater with their sound system the Christmas music was noticeable throughout the entire movie.  The symphony played it, the characters were whistling it or humming it, and it was the elevator music.  Even during the action scenes you could faintly here Christmas theme music that the symphony produced.  They also said Merry Christmas over and over, just like Trump said this country used to do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wife and I saw it today. Damn it's such a good movie. The casting, the pacing, the shooting, story. It was glorious seeing and hearing it in the theater. Everyone was cracking up at all the one liners. Good stuff!!  That's to OP for making me aware of it.

All these comments are based on seeing it now, correct?  If so you may have convinced me to make the half-hour drive to the nearest theater thats's playing it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:37:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
All these comments are based on seeing it now, correct?  If so you may have convinced me to make the half-hour drive to the nearest theater thats's playing it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The movie always seemed to have solid effects.  The trivia part and the narrator before the movie started is how I learned about the symphony, real guns, over charged blanks, and full explosions.  Since that was on my mind I noticed them more.  They said the extra loud blanks and full scale explosions caused the actors to flinch at times. If you are watching for it you can see it.

Besides knowing what to look for and the theater equipment, it is the exact same movie in the exact same quality as 30 years ago.  I decided to make it a family event and so the kids could see it in the theater.  I never saw it in the theater, my parents never took us to the movies.  Getting out of the house, a family event, and seeing something I missed out on as a kid were all factors for me wanting to see it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:40:35 AM EDT
[#17]
FWIW my theater did not have any trivia for it before the movie. Just a TCM movie introduction. I didn’t stick around for the part after the credits.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:41:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The movie always seemed to have solid effects.  The trivia part and the narrator before the movie started is how I learned about the symphony, real guns, over charged blanks, and full explosions.  Since that was on my mind I noticed them more.  They said the extra loud blanks and full scale explosions caused the actors to flinch at times. If you are watching for it you can see it.

Besides knowing what to look for and the theater equipment, it is the exact same movie in the exact same quality as 30 years ago.  I decided to make it a family event and so the kids could see it in the theater.  I never saw it in the theater, my parents never took us to the movies.  Getting out of the house, a family event, and seeing something I missed out on as a kid were all factors for me wanting to see it.
View Quote
So no remastering none of that? Just like it was when I took my wife 30 years ago?

Good.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:41:07 AM EDT
[#19]
With a nickel HKP7M8 that's worth easy two grand today.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:47:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the heads up
Saw it last night with the kid and it was as good
as it was in 88.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 12:12:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So no remastering none of that? Just like it was when I took my wife 30 years ago?

Good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good.
Yes, exactly like it was 30 years ago.  Parts of it showed how terrible technology was back then like when the camera zoomed in on a 4 inch standard definition analog tv.  Video of a the picture of a 4" tv blown up to movie screen size is terrible. All phones were corded, except for the limo driver with his cellphone.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 12:24:24 PM EDT
[#22]
I should be receiving my BluRay version this week.
Ive usually watched on TV, but the commercials kill the flow. Not no mo.

"The quarterback is toast!"

Link Posted: 11/12/2018 6:09:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Saw it when I was 16, when it came out.

Just bought tickets for myself and my 15 and 12 year old daughters who have never seen it.  I'm looking forward to seeing it on the big screen again, and they have never seen it.  Although they have heard me mention it every year....

I will be carrying a Beretta 92 just in case any fuckin' Austrians start shit.

ETA:  Thanks to the OP for posting this. I had no idea this was happening before seeing this thread.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 6:12:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yes, exactly like it was 30 years ago.  Parts of it showed how terrible technology was back then like when the camera zoomed in on a 4 inch standard definition analog tv.  Video of a the picture of a 4" tv blown up to movie screen size is terrible. All phones were corded, except for the limo driver with his cellphone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good.
Outstanding.

Looking forward to my Wednesday date with my wife and Die Hard
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 6:13:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Hope you will constantly tell him "Welcome to the party, pal."
View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 7:31:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Ordered my ticket, now I have to buy a Nakatomi Plaza shirt to wear
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Point of Order:  The bad guy at the front desk had a cellphone in a briefcase, he called the cops to say "ignore the fire alarm." It was amusing to see a corded handset running to a briefcase cellphone.  My 13yo son asked if that's what prehistoric cellphones were like.

Son and I just got back, it's a great movie that holds up well (if you can ignore the old-school electronic devices).  We had the theater to ourselves.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:07:23 PM EDT
[#28]
I am sitting right now at the restaurant waiting for my wife to show up so we can eat dinner and go see the movie. 30 years ago in July of 1988 one of the very first dates that we went on while we were in college was Die Hard.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:08:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I remember seeing in the theatre.  30th anniversary.  Dang.  I'm getting old.  
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:27:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I am sitting right now at the restaurant waiting for my wife to show up so we can eat dinner and go see the movie. 30 years ago in July of 1988 one of the very first dates that we went on while we were in college was Die Hard.
View Quote
That's a pretty cool story, bro.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:27:50 PM EDT
[#31]
It's not Christmas time until fucking Hans Gruber is falling from fucking Nakatomi Plaza!!
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:48:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks..
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:54:53 PM EDT
[#33]
I went and saw it.  They charged full price.  The picture quality was TERRIBLE.  It was like watching a VHS tape.  Really.  I think they used a blu-ray with a cheap LCD projector on a 30' screen.  It spoiled an otherwise great movie.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:16:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for this thread OP!  I checked and our Alamo Drafthouse is showing it on December 17th at 7:30PM.  When I went to buy tickets about 1/3 of the theater was already sold out!

It will be great to see 20' tall Bruce kick ass while I am drinking a good beer!

I know it is early, early, but Merry Christmas to you all!
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:18:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Meh. Saw it in the theater the first time
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:29:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Meh. Saw it in the theater the first time
View Quote
Ok..then this thread is not for you.

Perhaps a needlepoint website is more your speed
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:34:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Saw it today, theater was mostly full.

Still a great movie.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:43:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Theater to myself so far

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:50:20 PM EDT
[#39]
There are 9 of us here.

Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:55:55 PM EDT
[#40]
What a coincidence.  While at the library earlier I borrowed DH One and Two for the kids to watch.

Has it really been 30 years?!  Jesus I'm getting old.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 8:02:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Do you really get that much of a different experience watching it in the theater vs. on your couch?  I mean, I've got a big screen, solid surround sound, I can completely relax or recline, I don't have to spend the $14 or whatever it is, I have a have a fridge stocked full of food, and I can have my MP5 next to me for that "feel part of the action" element.

There are certain movies where I might understand, but mostly imax type stuff.  I've seen "Die Hard" 100x, and yeah, I'll watch it every time I comes on.  I'm just not sure I'll rush to the movie theater to do so
View Quote
I'll opt for my 58" plasma and surround sound system. I can ever rewind a scene which you can't do in a theater, plus I don't have to listen to a bunch of rude little cocksuckers whose parents neglected to teach them any manners yell and wave their lit up cell phones around whilst they take selfies of them watching a movie. FUUUCCCKKKKK.

I own all the 'Die Hard' series. I can even binge watch them if I go 'Die Hard' insane.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:26:25 PM EDT
[#42]
great time tonight with the wife! Brought back great memories. There was about 20 people in the theater everybody was very respectful no cell phones were out everybody was quiet.

The quality of the print was actually pretty good.

All in all a great time recreating one of our first dates 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:33:00 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote
Nice
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top