User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 3:16:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Tempted to post that on Facebook.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 3:27:02 PM EDT
[#2]
boomer hippies got scared of a minor radiation leak at one plant and basically banned nuclear power
40+ years later boomers are still in charge and it's almost impossible to build a new nuke plant
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 3:32:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Why isn't my house run off a small nuclear reactor encased in concrete 20ft underground?

Who is responsible for this
View Quote

Somehow I knew this was your thread just by the title.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 3:36:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Imagine where we would be had that not happened.

Our society with basically unlimited, extremely low cost energy. Probably still be a manufacturing powerhouse, EVs would be in widespread adoption (along with rapid advancements in battery tech to harness that).
Home reactors would probably not be a thing but decentralized micro grids probably would.

Of course all of that would have been bad for people who wanted to destroy the American middle class, our high standard of living and our position in the world. And that is why it didn't happen.

View Quote

If gay ass EVs would have been widespread I'll take our green energy overlords and brown outs
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 3:37:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why isn't my house run off a small nuclear reactor encased in concrete 20ft underground?

Who is responsible for this

I often dream of an even better America.

Basically like a super America
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 3:40:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There was a no kidding communist propaganda campaign against all things nuclear in the US.
View Quote

still is.

I see the dumb ass signs on the side of the highway everyday.

"no nukes, some hippie horse shit about teachers and solar panels"
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 3:45:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had enough.

Link Posted: 10/10/2021 4:03:38 PM EDT
[#8]
The US is only capable of making plans that can be taken out in the 4 year election cycle. Nuclear power plants from design to completion takes longer than that, no go.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 4:06:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The US is only capable of making plans that can be taken out in the 4 year election cycle. Nuclear power plants from design to completion takes longer than that, no go.
View Quote

I don't even get why it's political. Even if you're a shitlib greenie nuclear power is objectively the cleanest.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 4:14:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Didn't carter pretty much shit can fuel re-processing too?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cheaper near term energy sources are the primary reason  nuclear was put back on the dust covered shelf.
Didn't carter pretty much shit can fuel re-processing too?
If a president EO'd it, then another president could un-EO it.

It has no effect on the current state of affairs.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 4:20:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 4:27:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If gay ass EVs would have been widespread I'll take our green energy overlords and brown outs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our society with basically unlimited, extremely low cost energy. Probably still be a manufacturing powerhouse, EVs would be in widespread adoption (along with rapid advancements in battery tech to harness that).
Home reactors would probably not be a thing but decentralized micro grids probably would.

Of course all of that would have been bad for people who wanted to destroy the American middle class, our high standard of living and our position in the world. And that is why it didn't happen.

I think the malaise days of the 1970s automotive world would have never happened and 80s sports/pony/musclecars would had insane horsepower levels, eventually evolving well beyond 700hp musclecars and 1khp exotics of today..

EVs aren't bad/gay. They aren't a bad fit for people with fixed commutes and a place at home (driveway/garage) or at work to charge.
EV mandates are gayer then Hillcrest during pride.

They are a good fit for some people, not so much for others (myself included). I will stick with burning dinosaur squeezins.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 4:27:28 PM EDT
[#13]
This thread is a fucking embarrassment, in every reincarnation it assumes. The question is asked and answered, and yet the same shrill, mindless regurgitations persist.  Site Staff should lock the thread or at least move it to the Women's Forum ... but that would be an insult to women.

Look, it's almost entirely simple economics.  Market economies are going to favor market solutions.  

Re-read that last sentence.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If a president EO'd it, then another president could un-EO it.

It has no effect on the current state of affairs.
View Quote
Yes, I agree. Currently other energy sources make more financial sense but Carter got the ball rolling on shutting down the ecosystem that supported nuclear and that made the economy of building plants unreasonable.

Nat gas hasn't been cheap since the 70s.  Really it wasn't until the 00s that natgas plants became no brainers.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 4:29:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Walt Disney lied to us.  Home nuclear power was never to be.

Same with flying cars, human-like robotic servants, and the 30-hour work week.

We did finally get the Picture Phone, sort of.

The robotic servants will probably show up eventually, but they will be for sex and won't do housework.
View Quote

Better than the current models who do neither sec nor housework.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 4:29:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Watermelons
View Quote

I know that one. Green on the outside, red on the inside.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 4:30:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I don't even get why it's political. Even if you're a shitlib greenie nuclear power is objectively the cleanest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The part you missed is that shitlib greenies don't think objectively unless it to accomplish their goals and bullet points which have been thoughtfully provided for courtesy of the communists.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 4:31:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I think the malaise days of the 1970s automotive world would have never happened and 80s sports/pony/musclecars would had insane horsepower levels, eventually evolving well beyond 700hp musclecars and 1khp exotics of today..

EVs aren't bad/gay. They aren't a bad fit for people with fixed commutes and a place at home (driveway/garage) or at work to charge.

They are a good fit for some people, not so much for others (myself included). I will stick with burning dinosaur squeezins.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dead dinosaur master race. You can carry the dead dinosaurs wherever you want and dump the dead dinosaur into your tank quickly.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 4:32:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Watermelons
View Quote

Sadly, this post sits to the right of the curve in this thread.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 4:32:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

An America where families have an Arleigh Burke or a Seawolf class sub instead of a bass boat?
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 4:32:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

To be fair though doctors were awesome. They were like okay make sure you eat your bacon and eggs and I personally can recommend Camel as the best brand.

Anyways, that'll be $2 for your doctor visit
View Quote

Yeah but back then 2 dollars could get you a weeks worth of rub and tugs from Madam Fang’s house of ill repute
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 4:33:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This thread is a fucking embarrassment, in every reincarnation it assumes. The question is asked and answered, and yet the same shrill, mindless regurgitations persist.  Site Staff should lock the thread or at least move it to the Women's Forum ... but that would be an insult to women.

Look, it's almost entirely simple economics.  Market economies are going to favor market solutions.  

View Quote

Regulation: *smashes ur market economy and damages price discovery*

What do
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 4:34:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

An America where families have an Arleigh Burke or a Seawolf class sub instead of a bass boat?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well honestly only the coastal families.

Middle America would have F22s and B1As
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 4:34:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yeah but back then 2 dollars could get you a weeks worth of rub and tugs from Madam Fang’s house of ill repute
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be fair though doctors were awesome. They were like okay make sure you eat your bacon and eggs and I personally can recommend Camel as the best brand.

NEVER FORGET WHAT THEY TOOK FROM YOU
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 4:35:10 PM EDT
[#25]

I'll trade nuke reactors for dollar dose.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 5:50:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Because no one wants a nuke plant built next to them. Hell I've been part of a couple plant commissioning's and every community fought tooth and nail not to have it built. This was clean energy so can't even imagine nuke.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 5:50:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It isn't 100% "pure" due to the spent waste generation, which is a valid concern, but can be managed. America can't get a grip on reality when it comes to energy production - along with pretty much everything else - so it will suffer the inevitable consequences that arise from clinging to idealism.

I'm hopeful about breakthroughs in prospective fusion research, but have a 50/50 outlook, at best, on seeing it realized in my lifetime.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Check out my book. It's a fun story but I'm secretly trying to convince people that nuclear power should be given another try in this country.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1979311501?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 6:01:41 PM EDT
[#29]
None of that green shit works.

The only way the rechargable utopia happens is with nuclear power.

Link Posted: 10/10/2021 6:03:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Are they real costs though? Or regulatory burden?
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 6:05:44 PM EDT
[#31]
My pistol sights are nuclear.

It's not a total fail.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 6:12:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Because no one wants a nuke plant built next to them. Hell I've been part of a couple plant commissioning's and every community fought tooth and nail not to have it built. This was clean energy so can't even imagine nuke.
View Quote

I just said I want one underneath my house
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 6:13:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My pistol sights are nuclear.

It's not a total fail.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/10/2021 6:21:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're a nobody I'm talking about important people.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 6:23:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So put the reactors under the houses of nobodies.

Link Posted: 10/10/2021 6:32:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

They cant be trusted.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

What do
View Quote

Answer seems pretty clear to me.

Build reactor regardless.
Tell goons to take a flying shit through a rolling donut. Go be commies somewhere else.

Link Posted: 10/10/2021 6:35:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Schools…

Honestly the death of the industry is a result of people not understanding and as a result, fearing nuclear power.  Because of this they didn’t just allow, but instead demanded overregulation that chokes out the profitability.  The regulatory burden for a plant is 8.6mil/yr. (LINK) and on top of that it takes a decade to get approval for a new plant.  Despite all this they often manage to still be profitable.  There is no better base load power type.  But it takes some big balls to start building the plant and hope that holds true in 10 years.

If you were to give me someone with a ‘C’ level understanding of high school chemistry and an hour of time and I could make them understand the basics of how a nuclear pressurized water plant works.  But we never bother to teach that, instead it becomes this mysterious force that no one understands so they accept the scariest explanations as to why it will NEVER be safe.  

We as a society are to blame for being stupid.  The schools are a big part of that, we don’t teach science and engineering principles in high school and spend too much time on bullshit.  Hell even the STEM push died down and arts crept back in to make it STEAM.  

-Mike
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 6:38:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

They cant be trusted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They cant be trusted.

Idk put a lock on it or something
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 6:39:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Schools

Honestly the death of the industry is a result of people not understanding and as a result, fearing nuclear power.  Because of this they didn't just allow, but instead demanded overregulation that chokes out the profitability.  The regulatory burden for a plant is 8.6mil/yr. (LINK) and on top of that it takes a decade to get approval for a new plant.  Despite all this they often manage to still be profitable.  There is no better base load power type.  But it takes some big balls to start building the plant and hope that holds true in 10 years.

If you were to give me someone with a 'C' level understanding of high school chemistry and an hour of time and I could make them understand the basics of how a nuclear pressurized water plant works.  But we never bother to teach that, instead it becomes this mysterious force that no one understands so they accept the scariest explanations as to why it will NEVER be safe.  We as a society are to blame for being stupid.

-Mike
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Schools

Honestly the death of the industry is a result of people not understanding and as a result, fearing nuclear power.  Because of this they didn't just allow, but instead demanded overregulation that chokes out the profitability.  The regulatory burden for a plant is 8.6mil/yr. (LINK) and on top of that it takes a decade to get approval for a new plant.  Despite all this they often manage to still be profitable.  There is no better base load power type.  But it takes some big balls to start building the plant and hope that holds true in 10 years.

If you were to give me someone with a 'C' level understanding of high school chemistry and an hour of time and I could make them understand the basics of how a nuclear pressurized water plant works.  But we never bother to teach that, instead it becomes this mysterious force that no one understands so they accept the scariest explanations as to why it will NEVER be safe.  We as a society are to blame for being stupid.

-Mike

It is not regulatory burden. People need to stop saying that.

It's cheap gas.

What he said.

Quoted:This thread is a fucking embarrassment, in every reincarnation it assumes. The question is asked and answered, and yet the same shrill, mindless regurgitations persist.  Site Staff should lock the thread or at least move it to the Women's Forum ... but that would be an insult to women.

Link Posted: 10/10/2021 6:40:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Tell goons to take a flying shit through a rolling donut. Go be commies somewhere else.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do

Link Posted: 10/10/2021 6:40:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It's cheap gas.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Schools

-Mike

It's cheap gas.

Can we at least agree solar and wind power are completely inefficient memes that should never have touched a dollar of the public money?
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 6:41:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It's cheap gas.

What he said.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Schools

-Mike

It's cheap gas.

What he said.

Quoted:This thread is a fucking embarrassment, in every reincarnation it assumes. The question is asked and answered, and yet the same shrill, mindless regurgitations persist.  Site Staff should lock the thread or at least move it to the Women's Forum ... but that would be an insult to women.

Cheap gas is part of it, but Nuclear is still plenty profitable without the regulatory burden.

Nuclear power was a dying industry well before the natural gas boom.  That just accelerated it.

Additionally if the regulatory burden didn’t cripple the industry there wouldn’t be nuclear power would have innovated past 60s designs.  Every other source of power has drastically improved efficiency, but nuclear never got there.  This was well before natural gas proved to be the dominant power source it is today.

-Mike
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 6:42:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

I want one in my back yard.
A clean room and chemistry set with centrifuges and welding equipment to reprocess fuel.

4th of July rolls around? Form 1 Destructive device for epic grand finale fireworks show.
Recreational nukes.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 6:44:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Can we at least agree solar and wind power are completely inefficient memes that should never have touched a dollar of the public money?
View Quote

I absolutely agree they're both inefficient memes AND generating sources that can't yet survive on their own.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 6:47:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Cheap gas is part of it, but Nuclear is still plenty profitable without the regulatory burden.

Nuclear power was a dying industry well before the natural gas boom.  That just accelerated it.

-Mike
View Quote

No it wasn't. We were making money hand over fist until Marcellus came along. It's why we pushed for deregulation, to get more profits. It's why they used to buy me a house.

Nuclear was having a boom before Marcellus. It's when Vogtle and VC Summer and a lot of other new units started and were sited, and new designs approved.

Cheap gas isn't just part of it, it's most of it. The regulatory burden is a drop in the bucket and is not what is now choking out nuclear. We were and are plenty profitable WITH regulatory burden (when gas prices are higher)

A lot of us are now profitable again because we made deep cuts and restructuring and gas prices are up. My plant costs 21 per MW/hr to run.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 6:52:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It's cheap gas.

What he said.

View Quote

I'm pretty sure I can't build and operate a reactor in my back yard due to regulations.
Even if the reactor was one previously designed and ran issue free at say... oak ridge or on board a navy vessel and I had the blue prints in hand...
I mean... I could... but... getting fuel, and then running it?
Yeah... You'd see more resources used to stop that than the raid of Falluja.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

A reactor and gun store on every street corner in America.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 7:01:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

My WW2 vet grandfather was a doctor in the 50s, and never liked smoking since he thought he saw more respiratory problems with smokers.  

...But he paid his way through a surgical residency selling plasma and doing minor surgery/delivering kids on kitchen tables with a doctor bag.  It was totally cool in the early 60s that if he was going on a roadtrip with his kids, they've each get a mild barbituate dose in the car, and be magically transported asleep to the destination.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 7:02:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I want one in my back yard.
A clean room and chemistry set with centrifuges and welding equipment to reprocess fuel.

4th of July rolls around? Form 1 Destructive device for epic grand finale fireworks show.
Recreational nukes.
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/420/872/500.gif
View Quote

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top