Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2022 10:27:35 PM EDT
I'm pretty savvy at appliance repair but I'm not an expert. I've repaired bad boards, diagnosed and swapped plenty of parts, and more. But this one has me stumped.

Our 11 year old Whirlpool Duet washing machine has been pretty good. A few weeks ago the pump went out. NBD, I used the internal diagnostics mode to determine it was, in fact, the pump. Got a new pump and first load worked fine. But now, intermittently, the washer over fills and starts leaking. It's not every load, just occasionally. But leaks from a washing machine are not ok.

I've watched it through a cycle and it's like the sensor is telling it that it needs more water mid-cycle so it just keeps adding more. It will start the cycle normal, water coming on the shifting off, and drum/l starting to tumble. Then while it is tumbling the water will kick on for a bit, kick off for a bit, back on for a bit, back off, repeating several times while the tub is going through the processes for washing.

Any advice?
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:44:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Water inlet valves sticking or the fill switch/hose is dirty/plugged.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:59:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Or has mineral deposits built up on it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 11:27:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

A sticking inlet valve will turn on/off/on/off multiple times during a cycle?
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 5:22:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can either have a bad coil  losing continuity, you can have a bad fill switch that isn't reading correctly, you can have a clogged inlet screen that keeps making the machine try to add more water, you can have a plugged water fill switch line that isn't telling the board to stop filling. I'd start with the fill switch/hose as that tells the board there is enough water in the tub.

You could have a bad relay board also. The actual touchpad/control is likely fine if you can control it.

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:24:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

The water inlet valve is a common failure point on the Duets.  Enter the washer model number into Amazon and you will get a selection of inlet valves, priced from $15 to $60.  I settled on a $30 valve and it's been fine.  Always replace the filter gaskets on the filler hoses.  You may have them on both ends.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top