Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2023 9:35:58 AM EDT
https://www.ssbrewtech.com/products/the-brewmaster-bucket

https://www.ssbrewtech.com/products/brew-bucket-2-0

I have the coil chiller and can't decide out of these two. I can't really tell the difference between the two besides what looks like a better valve and the lcd display in a different location.

Any help would be a appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 11:35:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm probably not going to be much help to you. Back when I was a very active homebrewer I used corny kegs for every thing. I had a pair of ten gallon (nearly impossible to find now) cornies that I used as fermenters. I did all the transferring using CO2 so the beer never got exposed to air. Kegmenters would do the same thing nowadays. Of the two that you linked to I'd probably go with the cheapest one.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 9:21:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCNick] [#2]
I'm also not sure what the differences are; they look functionally the same to me.

My opinion (and it is just my opinion):  fancy SS fermenters with 16 different triclamp ports for everything under the sun are overkill for homebrewing. (I realize the ones above aren't quite that, but are on the way)

In my time, I've thrown out exactly one plastic fermenter because it started getting a little hazy and I wanted to be cautious... I was still using it and never had an infected batch.  I'm just careful when cleaning to not scratch the interior of them, and never had a single problem.
For temp probe, I tape it on the outside underneath a kitchen sponge for insulation.  I've looked at this method directly compared with a second probe in a thermowell in the center of the beer, and I get the same readings at all times during active fermentation.  The beer is moving plenty enough to distribute the heat when it matters.

If I'm doing a beer that needs to be in a pressure capable fermenter for either fermenting under pressure, or cold crashing, etc, I use the Fermentasaurus snub nose.

-$100
-Can hold more pressure than you'll ever need
-Floating dip tube
-9gal capacity, you'll never have to worry about a blowoff
-Only one seal around the top to worry about (plus the ball lock post seals)
-Zero lower/submerged ports to leak/clean/worry about

For any beer that isn't super oxygen sensitive and/or doesn't need pressure, I still use Big Mouth Bubbler bucket style fermenters and see zero reason at this time that I'll ever change.

Of course YMMV and there are many valid ways to get it done.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 3:44:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I just got a 10 gallon stainless milk container, and converted that as a fermenter.

It was around $110 bucks off amazon if I remember right.  Locking lid, no welded seems on the inside. Works well for home brew. Easy to clean.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 11:28:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Afteractionreport:
https://www.ssbrewtech.com/products/the-brewmaster-bucket

https://www.ssbrewtech.com/products/brew-bucket-2-0

I have the coil chiller and can't decide out of these two. I can't really tell the difference between the two besides what looks like a better valve and the lcd display in a different location.

Any help would be a appreciated.
View Quote

Well a couple of things, I don’t know if you got the help you needed. It’s late and I’m too tired to read all the replies. So aside from the temp gauge location, as you said. I would rather prefer temp on the side so it’s displaying the liquid temp and not the air at the top. 2nd thing which is not a huge deal, but the siphon tube/racking arm connected to valve is not metal on one. I would rather have the metal. It lasts longer, and stays cleaner. You don’t want to scratch up plastics and such by washing and scrubbing. It has a higher chance of not getting clean enough, and causing bacteria to grow and screw up your brew. Last thing I see is it has a special clamp with siphon tube for the chiller. Unless the other has a clamp and siphon like the other one, this mentioned one is set up better for the chiller. I bought a couple of these a couple years ago, they are nice set up to progress a little further into the hobby.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:59:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Kegmenter  for the win
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 1:17:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 10:43:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Always used plastic buckets or Glass Car Boys for this...
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 4:14:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm cheap, and a plastic bucket with a spigot has all of the features that I need and fits in my chest freezer/fermentation chamber.  I did strongly consider a 6 gallon Torpedo keg for pressure fermentation to bandaid the lack of temp control, but decided to buy a chest freezer and Inkbird instead.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 8:41:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn’t get a new bucket hen I home brewed.  It’s kind of a waste.  You get stainless, but for the price you could convert a keg and have a spunding valve to carb the beer during fermentation.  

Buy more kegs or ingredients with the money, or find one used.  Somehow everyone wants full price for a used one which tells me they’re not worth it and people want a refund.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top