Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2020 2:41:53 PM EDT
I'm going to replace the exhaust fan in the bathroom, and I need to enlarge the hole.

This is a 1951 house, with plaster, not Sheetrock.  Actually it's plaster board but this stuff is hard on cutting tools.

I think when I did the original I used a jigsaw and a lot of blades.  This time I want to use my sawzall.

Searching turns up a Milwaukee plaster blade, but it isn't in stock, I think it's discontinued.

I need something I can buy at HD or Lowe's

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:44:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:45:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I used to do tons of reno's, as a professional carpenter. Use an oscillating tool, not a sawzall, to cut lathe & plaster.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:46:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I was going to suggest a Milwaukee Torch metal cutting blade, if it'll do 1/4 steel it'll prolly cut plaster and lathe, but it looks like HDepot carries a plaster specific blade

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ivy-Classic-6-in-6-TPI-Bi-Metal-Reciprocating-Saw-Blade-Cuts-Plaster-5-Pack-28318/310212617
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:49:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I’d recommend a cut off wheel.

If you are going to use the sawzall  I would wear  a respirator as well.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:14:48 PM EDT
[#5]
So a blade for cutting wood and metal will cut through plaster (no lath here)?

As for the cutting wheel suggestion?  Nope.  I made that mistake years ago opening up a closet.

It took years to get the plaster dust out of the room.

I think because of the location, a sawzall is the best tool, with the right blade of course.

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:19:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Dont use sawzall  , either a jigsaw or oscillating saw. Cut off wheel work too ( dust is just part of it )

If you insist on sawzall, get short demo blade, like from Diablo
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:43:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By die-tryin:
Dont use sawzall  , either a jigsaw or oscillating saw. Cut off wheel work too ( dust is just part of it )

If you insist on sawzall, get short demo blade, like from Diablo
View Quote

I used a jigsaw to cut the original hole.

The plaster just made the blade smooth as a baby's butt in just a couple of inches.  I destroyed a bunch of blades

This is tough stuff from the 50's

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:42:13 PM EDT
[#8]
6 3/8 carbide hole saw?

Lenox Carbide reciprocating saw.blades.

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:43:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Learn how to start a jigsaw or Sawzall blind.
The Sawzall is easier to hold at a very shallow angle for a shallow cut.
While you can pivot either into the wall a Sawzall lends itself to an almost parallel to the surface cut with very little overrun into the cavity better.
The lower powder production is much better than the wider rotary blade and higher speed.
Have a helper follow the cut using a Shop-Vac and there will be very little dust.

The rotary tools spray a huge cloud that is hard to contain well.

With the Sawzall you can make a cut that barely goes into the cavity to hit wires and cables.

A Double insulated or battery tool is NOT a good idea if you may hit a power cable.
You WANT that ground to help trip the over-current on the circuit.

If you do it enough times you WILL eventually hit a shallow cable in an old house.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#10]
To be clear, I am enlarging an existing hole.

From 9" to 10.5"

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:47:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Avidrook:
To be clear, I am enlarging an existing hole.

From 9" to 10.5"

View Quote

Open the hole as much as you can and check for wires and cable.
This is one of the reasons to start the hole with a hammer.

Hit just hard enough to punch through so you can look around the area.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:50:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Just about any Sawzall blade will rip though the thin expanded metal used in plaster walls.

My dad's 1934 house has plaster on wood lath with expanded metal at inside corners and
metal bead with expanded metal at outside corners.

I got very good at minimizing excessive damage.

I know repair with Easy-Sand, but before it was widely available use the hard stuff and learned hot to tool it smooth.
I got even more lessons later on when I hired a retired Plasterer.

Those plaster walls never saw any abrasive in creating them.

The brown coats have plaster, lime, and animal hair.
The grey coat has plaster, lime, and sand.
The thin finish coat is around 1/8 inch of lime plaster.
It takes weeks to harden off but tools easily and smooth.

I still  have all the plaster tools. A Darby, Steel square trowels (Use mason's finishing ones to get a better size).
Mason's Finishing Trowel

The modern "plaster trowel" (often around 4 in. x 6 in.)  with the tiny handle is to small to work correctly.
The small handle makes it hard to make large sweeps and raise the leading edge.

A mason's polishing trowel has enough size to cover large areas quickly, and the large handle allows you
to take sweeps left and right by barely tilting the blade up on the leading edge.

The "Plaster's Handbook" has some reprints from the 1971 to 1984 (those dates are in my copy)  and gives all the detailed instructions.
Even that is now over $70 at Amazon.

It is a large multi-step process.
This was a reprint with a title tweak
Plasering Skills

Still over $70 with only a few copies at Amazon.
Used copies starting around $32.
Well worth having if you need to do even somewhat historic reconstruction.

I have not looked recently, but The US Park Service likely has detailed standards and instructions for true 'historic renovations."
They keep track of that kind of stuff for when truly historic places require renovation.

Shredded fiberglass insulation is an excellent substitute for Horse and Pig Hair.
It is a lot of work to get that coat (plaster, lime, and fiber) on with correct keys though the lathe.
Then rough it up for the gray coats of plaster lime and sand.
That needs to be smoother but perfection is not required, yet.

The gray coat of plaster, lime, and sand has to be reasonably smooth but only within about 1/16 in of smoothness.

The top coat is lime putty with very little plaster to speed the setting.
The long setting time allows for plenty of work time to smooth it out with larger and larger leveling tools.
The 3 to 4 foot Darby comes into its own  on this layer.

Lime alone takes days to weeks even in the thin layer.
It sets by absorbing CO2 from the air  leaving you with that snowy white 'flint hard' show surface.
Tooled to a smooth and flat polish.

After the first pass you mist it with water and make a final pass with large steel trowels to a smooth polish.
Not being able to sand that top coat puts a real premium on getting it smooth before final set.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:29:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Avidrook:
So a blade for cutting wood and metal will cut through plaster (no lath here)?

As for the cutting wheel suggestion?  Nope.  I made that mistake years ago opening up a closet.

It took years to get the plaster dust out of the room.

I think because of the location, a sawzall is the best tool, with the right blade of course.

View Quote

Most sawzall blades have a hook to the teeth, which can hook in plaster. The one posted above is more like a jigsaw blade, just triangle teeth, and should work well

Here is the best option if you are going to do it again- https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XDS01Z
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:30:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Bosch (and probably others) make Masonary jig saw blades. They work great for stuff like this.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:34:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By User55645:
I used to do tons of reno's, as a professional carpenter. Use an oscillating tool, not a sawzall, to cut lathe & plaster.
View Quote

This

Sawzall vibrates too much you will crack the part you want to
Keep
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 4:18:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Stiles1410:

This 

Sawzall vibrates too much you will crack the part you want to
Keep
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Stiles1410:
Originally Posted By User55645:
I used to do tons of reno's, as a professional carpenter. Use an oscillating tool, not a sawzall, to cut lathe & plaster.

This 

Sawzall vibrates too much you will crack the part you want to
Keep

Ok, I have one of those.

Does anyone make a plaster blade for it or will a metal cutting blade work?

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:14:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Rotozip?
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:45:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By bushmaster1:
Rotozip?
View Quote

Winner! Any sawsjigjiz saw is going to beat the piss out of the plaster, go rotary tons of bits that wont destroy shit.  Dremmel works just as good and you can add flutes to the barrel of any firearm!
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 3:48:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Winner! Any sawsjigjiz saw is going to beat the piss out of the plaster, go rotary tons of bits that wont destroy shit.  Dremmel works just as good and you can add flutes to the barrel of any firearm!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Originally Posted By bushmaster1:
Rotozip?

Tons of fine dust.
If you use a Sawzall you can keep the blade almost parallel to the plaster surface
to reduce vibration in the plaster and the depth of the blade into the cavity.

Cutting into blind cavities has its own set of dangers.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:52:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm going to replace the exhaust fan in the bathroom, and I need to enlarge the hole.

This is a 1951 house, with plaster, not Sheetrock.  Actually it's plaster board but this stuff is hard on cutting tools.

I think when I did the original I used a jigsaw and a lot of blades.  This time I want to use my sawzall.

Searching turns up a Milwaukee plaster blade, but it isn't in stock, I think it's discontinued.

I need something I can buy at HD or Lowe's

View Quote
@Avidrook

Project Farm has done a number of videos on sawzall blades.

Which sawzall (reciprocating saw) blade is best? Let's find out!

Which BiMetal Sawzall Blade Best? Let''s find out! (Episode 1 of 4)

Which Demolition Sawzall (bimetal) Blade is Best? Let''s find out! (Episode 2 of 4)

Which CARBIDE Demolition Sawzall Blade is Best? Let's find out!

Best CARBIDE Thick Metal Sawzall Blade Brand? Let''s find out!

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:38:14 AM EDT
[#21]
If i were to use my reciprocating saw for this task I would use a metal blade.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:40:33 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

WRONG!!!

HD has a carbide blade that works very well for plaster and any surface with sand in the mix. They were $8 or $10 each last time I bought them, but they do work well.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 7:55:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

WRONG!!!

HD has a carbide blade that works very well for plaster and any surface with sand in the mix. They were $8 or $10 each last time I bought them, but they do work well.
View Quote

Thanks, I'll for look for carbide.

Based on past experience, this old plaster board eats blades like popcorn

Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:04:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Jesus, a non segmented diamond blade on a 4.5 grinder holding a shopvac with a bag in it will knock it out in a hurry. Everyone and their mom can float plaster these day's, if you have the patience. When I learned it was an art, with the YouTube video's out there now. Nearly anyone can do it, with practice.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 11:11:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Jesus, a non segmented diamond blade on a 4.5 grinder holding a shopvac with a bag in it will knock it out in a hurry. Everyone and their mom can float plaster these day's, if you have the patience. When I learned it was an art, with the YouTube video's out there now. Nearly anyone can do it, with practice.
View Quote

Any blade rated for nail embedded wood will do fine.
Carbide is just not worth the price over a package of steel blades.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 11:20:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Let's see.....

I need to enlarge a hole in the ceiling from 8" square to 10.5" square and so I need to learn to plaster?

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 11:23:59 AM EDT
[#27]
You can get glass / ceramic blades for your jigsaw.  Pricey.  They aren't toothed blades, they have diamond grit (or something close to it) embedded in them.  I've bought them at home depot.

I tried cutting hardi panel with them.  Got about a foot or so and broke the blade at the shank.  The cutting surface was fine.  I had a bad angle on the cut.  It probably would have worked if I had set up better.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 11:33:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You can get glass / ceramic blades for your jigsaw.  Pricey.  They aren't toothed blades, they have diamond grit (or something close to it) embedded in them.  I've bought them at home depot.

I tried cutting hardi panel with them.  Got about a foot or so and broke the blade at the shank.  The cutting surface was fine.  I had a bad angle on the cut.  It probably would have worked if I had set up better.
View Quote

The reason I'm leaning towards the Sawzall is I think it will be easier to control while standing on a ladder in a shower pan.

I may be wrong, but as I said I cut the original hole with a jig saw and It worked, I thought the Sawzall would be faster and hopefully not as messy.

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 2:13:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The reason I'm leaning towards the Sawzall is I think it will be easier to control while standing on a ladder in a shower pan.

I may be wrong, but as I said I cut the original hole with a jig saw and It worked, I thought the Sawzall would be faster and hopefully not as messy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem with jig saws is the vibration perpendicular to the face of the plaster, its weakest direction.
A Sawzall held almost parallel to the face avoids almost all the vibration.
I usually use about an 8 inch or 10 inch long blade and only the first few inches is in the plaster cutting.

With a 10 inch ones when the very tip gets badly worn you can snap it off and use the next few inches.

No reason to run the Sawzall at high  speed either.
Use the low speed range and have a helper follow the cutting
holding a Shop Vac with a crevice tool right at the cutting point.

Dust masks should be worn.
Something a little better than the really cheap 'nuisance masks.'
Plaster dust is hell on your lungs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top