Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2018 9:42:13 PM EDT
I'm looking for a Canon EF mount 50mm prime lens. I'm leaning very heavily toward the Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art lens. I don't think the extra 1/3 of a stop is worth the cash for the L version, and I've read the Sigma is as sharp as they come with an autofocus. I own a now broken Canon 1.4 and a Yongnuo, which is clearly lower quality than I'm willing to pay for.

Does anyone have experience with this lens regardless of mount?
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 10:36:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm looking for a Canon EF mount 50mm prime lens. I'm leaning very heavily toward the Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art lens. I don't think the extra 1/3 of a stop is worth the cash for the L version, and I've read the Sigma is as sharp as they come with an autofocus. I own a now broken Canon 1.4 and a Yongnuo, which is clearly lower quality than I'm willing to pay for.

Does anyone have experience with this lens regardless of mount?
View Quote
Sigma is making great lenses right now. Can’t go wrong with it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 3:04:48 AM EDT
[#2]
i just bought a 50mm 1.4 Sigma Art for my A7III. Couldn't be happier with it; autofocus is right on and the images are extremely sharp. I couldn't justify 1.5x the price for the Sony G-Master lens up front. Now that i have used the Sigma extensively I wouldn't go back and change my mind even if i had the spare $ laying around. Zero regrets.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:01:50 AM EDT
[#3]
My sister in law runs a 35mm art on her 6D. She has issues with constant front focusing. No matter when it was last calibrated. I haven't heard of the issues the 35 version has, on the 50 so that's positive. Sigma really is putting out good stuff right now for sure.

I know this wasn't really relevant, but it's always possible to get a bad copy, no matter the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:32:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a Canon 50mm 1.4 and when it broke I got the Sigma. No complaints.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:50:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a Canon 50mm 1.4 and when it broke I got the Sigma. No complaints.
View Quote
What did you do with your 1.4?

Glad to hear that people have positive experiences with it. I have read that some of them can be flaky with the focus, but that it isn't too rough. Frankly, in doing my research, I read the same thing about the Canon 50mm 1.4. If I can find a good deal on black friday, we'll see just how good it is.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:29:32 PM EDT
[#6]
The EF50mm 1.8 STM is surprisingly good.
Go check out flickr  - https://flic.kr/g/qHhyQ

disclosure, there may be some boudoir shots there.  you have been warned! LOL  but the lens is great for the price.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:06:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The EF50mm 1.8 STM is surprisingly good.
Go check out flickr  - https://flic.kr/g/qHhyQ

disclosure, there may be some boudoir shots there.  you have been warned! LOL  but the lens is great for the price.
View Quote
Thanks for that link. The one thing that somewhat scares me away from that lens is that I'm relatively hard on stuff due to the nature of my job. I haven't had very good luck with anything but "pro" level lenses for the most part. The 50mm F1.4 was around the longest, but died due to a short fall.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:45:07 PM EDT
[#8]
The Pentax new 50mm f1.4 lens is getting awesome reviews.  It is a Pentax design built by Tokina.  Tokina also sells it under the Opera name for Nikon and Canon so Pentax is getting some of that action too.

Contrary to a lot of comments it is a Pentax and not a Tokina design with Pentax holding several patents on the design.  It is a beast of a lens and uses a 72mm filter.   Weighs in at about 1 pound.   You may want to look into it.  It is going for $949 US at B&H at the moment.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 12:16:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Very interesting. I'll certainly check that out.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 2:00:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
One big issue with tokina is there customer service or lack there of. I also think that sigma is a better constructed lens with better quality. Right now I would put sigma right behind the “L” lens from canon.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 1:44:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
One big issue with tokina is there customer service or lack there of. I also think that sigma is a better constructed lens with better quality. Right now I would put sigma right behind the "L" lens from canon.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One big issue with tokina is there customer service or lack there of. I also think that sigma is a better constructed lens with better quality. Right now I would put sigma right behind the "L" lens from canon.
What makes you put the F1.2 L lens above the Sigma?
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 2:59:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Canon has a top notch service department. That’s what does it for me. I don’t know much about Sigma’s service though. But I can say this if I where considering a lens right now I would give Sigma a serious look. Good quality at a good price.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 6:06:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Canon has a top notch service department. That's what does it for me. I don't know much about Sigma's service though. But I can say this if I where considering a lens right now I would give Sigma a serious look. Good quality at a good price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Canon has a top notch service department. That's what does it for me. I don't know much about Sigma's service though. But I can say this if I where considering a lens right now I would give Sigma a serious look. Good quality at a good price.
Thanks. This is a really tough choice for me.

I found the Sigma lens on digitalrev.com for $729 with free shipping. I'll see what black friday brings about and go from there.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:23:52 PM EDT
[#14]
No Black Friday deals that came even close to the digital Rev price. I pulled the trigger on it tonight. I'm hoping that it's as good as all the reviews say it is. Frankly, if it's nicer than the Canon 1.4 I had previously, I'll be thrilled. The fact that it's an internal focus rather than external will hopefully prevent my original problem in the future. Thanks for all the replies. I'll get a few sample pics up when it comes in. I really do love the 50mm focal length on a FF camera to say the least.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 10:17:31 AM EDT
[#15]
The nifty 50 is nice and light with ok bokeh...but the 50 1.2L is phenomenal. It is by far my wife's favorite and most used lens for portrait work. She uses it alot for wedding work too.
Its permanently mounted on her MKIII.

She typically dual-wields 2 bodies with a 50 1.2 on one and a 85 or 70-200 2.8L IS on the other.

She rarely uses the 50 at 1.2 because the depth of field is too tight (one eye on subject is in focus but the other isn't) but it's stupid sharp at 2.0 compared to other lenses that stop down to 1.8.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:21:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Well, after having this lens for about a full week, I'm very pleased. It is indeed quite sharp. That was noticeable straight away when compared to my Canon f1.4. I need to get a couple of nice shots up for you guys.

I think I also need to look into fine tuning the focus on this thing. It could be just me, but it seems like it focuses ever so slightly behind where it should on occasion. It might be user error though, as this always happens when I'm shooting at f1.4 and very close to the subject.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 3:30:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Get the Sigma USB dock ($50-59) and tweak the focus. Sigma Art lenses are excellent, but many need focus slightly adjusted.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:40:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Get the Sigma USB dock ($50-59) and tweak the focus. Sigma Art lenses are excellent, but many need focus slightly adjusted.
View Quote
What else can you adjust with it. I thought about looking into them, but if I can just micro adjust the focus on my body, I may go that route since it's free. If there are a lot of features to that thing, then it very well may be worth it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:46:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Glad to hear that people have positive experiences with it. I have read that some of them can be flaky with the focus, but that it isn't too rough. Frankly, in doing my research, I read the same thing about the Canon 50mm 1.4. If I can find a good deal on black friday, we'll see just how good it is.
View Quote
Focus ring stopped working, wasn’t rough nor gentle with it. Lasted maybe 5-6 yrs of moderate use.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:49:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Focus ring stopped working, wasn't rough nor gentle with it. Lasted maybe 5-6 yrs of moderate use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Focus ring stopped working, wasn't rough nor gentle with it. Lasted maybe 5-6 yrs of moderate use.
That was my problem too, but a kid dropped it. Oh, well. Those things are going to happen when you have kids shooting all the time.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 1:21:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Can someone tell me what makes a lens an "art" lens? Use small words, please......  
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 1:33:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Can someone tell me what makes a lens an "art" lens? Use small words, please......  
View Quote
From what I can tell, it's super sharp. Other than that, it's just marketing it seems.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 10:00:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Probably has to do with coatings, build, and marketing.

Higher price point because more effort is put into making a lens with all of the good (sharp, no aberration, good bokeh, etc.) and none of the bad.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 11:17:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

From what I can tell, it's super sharp. Other than that, it's just marketing it seems.
View Quote
Heck, I'm ok with "super sharp". Who wouldn't be?

So what everyone is saying is calling a lens an "art" lens = saying something is "tactical" & charging an extra $100 for it?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top