Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2022 12:07:53 PM EDT
It's for a 10 year old. I don't know shit about them.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 12:09:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
It's for a 10 year old. I don't know shit about them.
View Quote

we have the Phrozen 6k for model railroad stuff. its super simple and the prints are amazing. i like resin myself.. my 14yr old uses it alot
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I have two Artillary Sidewinder X1's.

Work every time and they have auto bed level.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09GVTFGCZ?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 12:59:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I've also heard the ender 3 recommended
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 1:01:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had good luck with our Ender 3 E. Under $300 and has some built in upgrades such as auto-leveling. My 10 year old can run it and has been making a few models in Creo. He has not used the slicing software as I am still trying to nail it down.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 1:05:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I like my ender 5 pro.

eta ^^^ I didn't know the 3 came with bed leveling.  That is my biggest problem.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 1:30:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Ender 3 max neo is what I’m currently using and it’s a solid printer, auto bed leveling,dual z axis drive, large format, and tons of aftermarket support.

ETA: at this point the printer hasn’t shut down for more than a few hours since I got it about two months ago, it is non stop printing 30-40 hour prints. Longest print I did was a Hoffman tactical lower with super nice print settings and it was 65 or thereabouts
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 1:39:47 PM EDT
[#7]
A Ender 3 Neo has a ton of upgrades already applied, then buy a big food dehydrator and three Ikea Lack end tables. And $125 worth of filament.

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 1:44:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Whatever the latest Ender 3 is
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 2:10:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Are you really sure about this OP?  3D printing is great fun and all, but I don't think a 10 year old is up for the work it requires.  This will almost certainly turn into "dads printer" because of how hands on you will NEED to be.  These aren't just choose a model, push go and have a 3D print in a while.  They take work, require maintenance, require calibration and such.  You need to have a certain level of technical inclination to be truly successful with this stuff.  It is about the furthest from "plug n play" as you can get.

For $400 I would look into the Ender 3 S1 Pro, but you might want to get the cheaper Ender 3 Pro or Ender 3 V2. That ways, Just incase it turns out that this 3D printing stuff is a bit more work than anticipated; You are only out about $200.

With all that said, It's a great hobby and 10 years old is a great age to start!  Feel free to PM me with any questions or anything, I am glad to help!
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 2:20:13 PM EDT
[#10]
For $400?

Easy. Prusa Mini.

It's as plug and play as a 3D printer gets. Prusa printers just...work. Still need to calibrate, but if you do your part it will do its part. Not always the case with Ender. Some print great. A lot print terrible.

ETA: Autocorrect
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 2:21:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A Ender 3 Neo has a ton of upgrades already applied, then buy a big food dehydrator and three Ikea Lack end tables. And $125 worth of filament.

Kharn
View Quote

ONLY $125 worth of filament?  God that's funny.  Shit son, it's more like $350 and than doesn't include things like Nylon.
I've got an Ender 5Pro that works like a champ and after a year or so I still working on figuring out the nylon print thing. I'm getting there and it's been fun.  
You can find a lot of neat stuff to print on the internet, but he's REALLY going to want to learn a CAD system.  I learned on AutoCad 10 a very long time ago and am having a hard time relearning every thing I forgotten.
But hey, that's what retirements all about, right?
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
For $400?

Easy. Prusa Mini.

It's as plug and play as a 3D printer gets. Prusa printers just...work. still need to calibrate, but if you do your part it will do it's part. Not always the case with Ender. Some print great. A lot print terrible.
View Quote

I'd second this, I had a couple printers before I got a Prusa, and the Prusa has been the best printer if you prefer printing to working on printers.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 5:39:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Ender 3 and a bunch of filament.

I have an early Ender 3. Before the Pro was released. In the years I've had it I have put a PEI build plate one it and one nozzle and maybe replaced the Bowden tube plus replaced the plastic feeder for the extruder. I did wear through the plastic feeder assembly. I level the bed maybe once a year.

This thing prints way better and has way less down time than all the fancy high dollar printers I've used.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 6:27:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ender 3 and a bunch of filament.

I have an early Ender 3. Before the Pro was released. In the years I've had it I have put a PEI build plate one it and one nozzle and maybe replaced the Bowden tube plus replaced the plastic feeder for the extruder. I did wear through the plastic feeder assembly. I level the bed maybe once a year.

This thing prints way better and has way less down time than all the fancy high dollar printers I've used.
View Quote

If they only wanted to spend $100 or a little more I would agree.  With the price range OP is working with, I would suggest an Ender 3 S1 Pro at the very least.  Then all the important  upgrades are already done.  Hell, OP would be setup to print Frames out of Nylon right out of the gate. After proper calibration of course and after getting used to working with easier materials like PLA.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I have an ender.

would buy again.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 7:32:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
For $400?

Easy. Prusa Mini.

It's as plug and play as a 3D printer gets. Prusa printers just...work. Still need to calibrate, but if you do your part it will do its part. Not always the case with Ender. Some print great. A lot print terrible.

ETA: Autocorrect
View Quote

This. I'm a prusa fan boy. They're absolutely amazing. Had it about 3 years and only replaced the thermocouple because I broke the wire swapping out the nozzle. They just work so damn well right out of the box. I've literally done no tinkering with this thing. Built it... And printed stuff.

Printing some loading blocks as we speak.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 7:34:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Whichever one is best for him to print machine guns on. As a minor he'll never catch a permanent conviction nor see the inside of a jail cell. Win win.

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 7:36:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Are you really sure about this OP?  3D printing is great fun and all, but I don't think a 10 year old is up for the work it requires.  This will almost certainly turn into "dads printer" because of how hands on you will NEED to be.  These aren't just choose a model, push go and have a 3D print in a while.  They take work, require maintenance, require calibration and such.  You need to have a certain level of technical inclination to be truly successful with this stuff.  It is about the furthest from "plug n play" as you can get.

For $400 I would look into the Ender 3 S1 Pro, but you might want to get the cheaper Ender 3 Pro or Ender 3 V2. That ways, Just incase it turns out that this 3D printing stuff is a bit more work than anticipated; You are only out about $200.

With all that said, It's a great hobby and 10 years old is a great age to start!  Feel free to PM me with any questions or anything, I am glad to help!
View Quote

Second the Prusa Mini. If you have the money to spend it's an easy plug and play. The Ender will require you to learn how to level the bed and troubleshoot more issues over time. Good community support with the Prusa too.

I have both, I use the Mini 90% of the time.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 7:41:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This. I'm a prusa fan boy. They're absolutely amazing. Had it about 3 years and only replaced the thermocouple because I broke the wire swapping out the nozzle. They just work so damn well right out of the box. I've literally done no tinkering with this thing. Built it... And printed stuff.

Printing some loading blocks as we speak.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/322543/20221127_123956_jpg-2616114.JPG
View Quote

You have fine taste for calipers too, I see.

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 7:43:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You have fine taste for calipers too, I see.

View Quote

Now if I just had the time to learn CAD. I suck at it so bad.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 7:53:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Prusa mini, and it isn't even close. It's like the Miata of the printing world. It's always the answer.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 8:32:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

we have the Phrozen 6k for model railroad stuff. its super simple and the prints are amazing. i like resin myself.. my 14yr old uses it alot
View Quote

A lot more involved in a resin printer though.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 8:44:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Now if I just had the time to learn CAD. I suck at it so bad.
View Quote

I should do a class on SolidWorks. Not sure if everyone has a way of joining/screen sharing. But I'd be happy to teach people. It's not terribly difficult to learn. I'd be happy to show the ropes on a real actual CAD program. I'm most comfortable in SW but I mess with F360 a bit. I don't like how neutered the free version is though.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 8:49:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Ender 3 S1 is a good choice.  Basic enough to be approachable but the extended range of the high temp hot end plus the self leveling make it not need to be upgraded over and over.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 8:50:40 PM EDT
[#25]
There's really two options here. An Ender if you want to tinker with the machine and have that be part of the hobby. Or a Prusa if you just want something that works. You can snag an ender for about $150.

I have an Ender 3v2 and I really like it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:37:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for all the replies. I don't mind helping to set up and calibrate, and hopefully we can learn together.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:55:20 AM EDT
[#27]
I just think it's cool as hell that today's kids can get such a cool and useful toy/tool.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 7:29:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 6:50:37 PM EDT
[#29]
I am not an expert but I do have an Anet A8 Plus that I have upgraded to be a much better Prusa Clone.

It is much like all the entry level printers requiring attention and fussing.

I recently bought my second printer and I have been using it at work for awhile now for prototyping mech parts and I'm thinking of taking it home to set up for my grand kids to use.

It has required very little fuss, it's very fast, and it makes cool things. It's only downside is that compared to my A8 plus the 200 millimeter diameter build platform is small.

The FLSUN Q5 Delta

It was on clearance for about $200.

Link Posted: 11/28/2022 7:06:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Very cool!
Saturn here, for same reason.
Teaching myself to 3D model.

That said, resin is only good if you actually need resin. Most people looking into 3D printing are going to want filament printers to print Mandalorian helmets and things like that.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 7:09:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Never mind. Wrong thread.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 9:46:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

ONLY $125 worth of filament?  God that's funny.  Shit son, it's more like $350 and than doesn't include things like Nylon.
I've got an Ender 5Pro that works like a champ and after a year or so I still working on figuring out the nylon print thing. I'm getting there and it's been fun.  
You can find a lot of neat stuff to print on the internet, but he's REALLY going to want to learn a CAD system.  I learned on AutoCad 10 a very long time ago and am having a hard time relearning every thing I forgotten.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

That's after he spends $225 on the printer, $50 on the used dehydrator from Goodwill and Ikea tables. He'll have $125 for filament from his $400 budget.

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 9:48:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Buy him a prussia
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 10:14:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Are you really sure about this OP?  3D printing is great fun and all, but I don't think a 10 year old is up for the work it requires.
View Quote

I teach 3D printing to elementary school students starting with 2nd graders using tinkercad and MakerBot printers.  They can handle it.  My students make their own models, learn how to design things that will print without supports or with minimal supports, and how to share their models with me for printing.   They learn how to print models in pieces if needed.  I also teach them the mechanical aspects like calibrating the printer, changing the filament, and adjusting the extruder and bed temps.  Kids that show interest learn to do things like convert .jpgs into .svgs so they can add art to their models, how to make models with different color layers, and how to download models from thingiverse.  Some of them come up with some really interesting stuff.  Don't underestimate kids; they are capable of a lot when things capture their interest.

ETA: Right now, for example, the 4th graders are studying how animals adapt to their environments, so their assignment is to invent an animal and be able to explain how it is adapted to survive in its environment.  In the old days they might have drawn a poster or made a model out of clay. Now we have them design their creature in tinkercad and I print it for them.  It's a two-fer - they get the science lesson and the tech experience.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 10:19:34 PM EDT
[#35]
I wouldn’t spend more than $40 on a 10 y/o. Their interests change too quickly.

So if you’re doing a 3D printer, just be honest that it’s really for you.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:46:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I teach 3D printing to elementary school students starting with 2nd graders using tinkercad and MakerBot printers.  They can handle it.  My students make their own models, learn how to design things that will print without supports or with minimal supports, and how to share their models with me for printing.   They learn how to print models in pieces if needed.  I also teach them the mechanical aspects like calibrating the printer, changing the filament, and adjusting the extruder and bed temps.  Kids that show interest learn to do things like convert .jpgs into .svgs so they can add art to their models, how to make models with different color layers, and how to download models from thingiverse.  Some of them come up with some really interesting stuff.  Don't underestimate kids; they are capable of a lot when things capture their interest.

ETA: Right now, for example, the 4th graders are studying how animals adapt to their environments, so their assignment is to invent an animal and be able to explain how it is adapted to survive in its environment.  In the old days they might have drawn a poster or made a model out of clay. Now we have them design their creature in tinkercad and I print it for them.  It's a two-fer - they get the science lesson and the tech experience.
View Quote

Agreed.

My 8yr old daughter will play with the slicer and knows how to export the file, transfer the SD card over, preheat the printer, clean the nozzle/bed, and print.

I still have to find/download the files and get all the settings right but once it's ready in the slicer she does the rest. She's learns a little more each time we do it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 12:01:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Buy something good for more (like under $1000).  Learn with him.  It’ll be better for both of y’all.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 12:05:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Buy something good for more (like under $1000).  Learn with him.  It’ll be better for both of y’all.
View Quote

Worth considering.

If you think you might get into this as a hobby, a higher end model can do more out of the box and require less upgrading.

MK3S+ is an excellent machine.

The orange one has over 6,600 hours on it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 12:14:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Get the Ender like recommended above. Plan on a dedicated work bench and a ton of filament. Start with a couple of spools in black, white, red, yellow and blue to start. Add other colors as needed.

It'll be a great opportunity for you both to learn together. The hardest part for him will be waiting for longer prints to finish.

Circle back and let us know how it's going.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 12:29:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Worth considering.

If you think you might get into this as a hobby, a higher end model can do more out of the box and require less upgrading.

MK3S+ is an excellent machine.

The orange one has over 6,600 hours on it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/20221121_202746_jpg-2617810.JPG
View Quote

That is beautiful!

I too have the MK3S+ and strongly recommend it.

Face it OP, it will be "your" printer anyways. May as well buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 12:31:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Get the Ender like recommended above. Plan on a dedicated work bench and a ton of filament. Start with a couple of spools in black, white, red, yellow and blue to start. Add other colors as needed.

It'll be a great opportunity for you both to learn together. The hardest part for him will be waiting for longer prints to finish.

Circle back and let us know how it's going.
View Quote

That's probably the way I will go. The prusa minis have a few weeks lead time at the moment. Thanks for all the replies
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 12:34:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That's probably the way I will go. The prusa minis have a few weeks lead time at the moment. Thanks for all the replies
View Quote

https://www.printedsolid.com/products/original-prusa-mini-3d-printer

No lead time that I can tell. Prusa bought printed solid, it's their US distributor now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top