Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2018 11:58:34 PM EDT
Looking for somewhere or some insight on how to clean an old flight helmet. It was my dads when he flew SAR and its really the only i have of his i cherish.

It has a mud dauber nest on it and is just generally filthy from years of neglect and sitting on a shelf.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 3:04:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I would carefully remove the mud dauber nest, for sure, but IMO that all you need to clean up.

It indeed might be damaged if you restore it further. Most collectors would leave it alone otherwise as the signs of aging speak to its authenticity. If you clean it up for your own sentimental reasons, understand you may be reducing its value.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 3:13:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Clean out the nest and put in glass box for all to see.

Same model as my flight helmet, early 70's.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:38:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Looking for somewhere or some insight on how to clean an old flight helmet. It was my dads when he flew SAR and its really the only i have of his i cherish.

It has a mud dauber nest on it and is just generally filthy from years of neglect and sitting on a shelf.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/245997/image1_jpeg-776227.JPG
View Quote
Be careful with it, the guys who do the taping are artists. Just clean the tape with a light soap and water.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:35:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Be careful with it, the guys who do the taping are artists. Just clean the tape with a light soap and water.
View Quote
I’m thinking light soap and water. Then trying to brush as much corrosion off of the brass bits.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 1:44:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Check with Gentex.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 1:45:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Check with Gentex.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 11:06:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Check with Gentex.
View Quote
What exactly is gentex?

@frenchkat
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 11:26:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Gentex is the company that made the helmet.  I’ve been out of the business for awhile, but they used to take in flight gear for repair.

That’s if you’re looking to go the full restoration route as your initial post indicated.

Try this link   http://aviationandaccessories.tpub.com/TM-1-8415-215-12P/ for the repair manual.  Should be instructions for cleaning.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 10:38:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Got any more pics of the helmet? I have always liked seeing the different tape artwork.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 11:23:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I will take some more shortly. Can you explain the tapework thing?
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 12:43:14 PM EDT
[#11]
It was pretty common to use different color tape, cut into different shapes to make patterns, logos or other designs on flight helmets. Some was pretty crude, but some guys did an amazing job creating a one of a kind helmet. The pic you posted shows some pretty cool work.

Here are some other examples

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 12:46:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

This was all done around 84-85 I think.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 12:53:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the additional pics. Like another reply suggested I would start with some light soap and water. Just a damp towel and light scrubbing. If it were mine I would just try to clean the dirt off and leave it be. It tells a story as it is now. To make it new and shiny would take away from that history. There is a level of pride / respect that is paid to a well worn piece of gear.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 12:56:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks for the additional pics. Like another reply suggested I would start with some light soap and water. Just a damp towel and light scrubbing. If it were mine I would just try to clean the dirt off and leave it be. It tells a story as it is now. To make it new and shiny would take away from that history. There is a level of pride / respect that is paid to a well worn piece of gear.
View Quote
You are absolutely correct. I just want to get it looking better. Not pristine. Just needs some tlc.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 11:38:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Oregon Areo does 'em but it will be a refurb and look like a new helmet.

I'd just wipe it off as best you can and try not to mess it up.

That looks like an SPH 3 or 4.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 11:50:12 PM EDT
[#16]
You might try to clean it some with a mr clean magic eraser, just go slow keep it wet and don't apply much pressure as it is basically sanding the surface.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 12:30:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Tons of youtube channels that do fantastic restorations of sorts of items. Reach out to a few and see if they’d be interested in restoring for you.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 12:40:47 AM EDT
[#18]
The ALSE shop
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top